Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Brian Fellows posted:

I guess not for a newer player, but if your levels are super high, anything that's not boosting Atk or Mag (IE- most armor) is totally useless to me without a shared SB or something. I use almost exclusively bracers and helms (and those Dark Gloves he pulled, which are amazing).

If you're leveling up an under leveled character I guess other stuff would be useful, or just trying to survive clear-all opening spells like a Dark Bahamut opening attack.

I don't throw it out, but I almost never use armor and I clear almost all content (minus occasional Ultimates that make me mad enough I just quit out).

Yea pretty much this, none of the armor was amazing and while it gave me a Chameleon Robe++ (lol) the best part of that pull for me were the Dark Gloves. Those are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

kalensc posted:

While 5* Orbs are not available just yet, they will be soon, so once I hit 10k Greens I should avoid the thought "well, nothing else worth getting, may as well buy an MC2 Lode", right?

I have every character MC2 Lode thus far made available, so I'd just be moving someone a non-SB character like Hope past 65 for no practical reason.

If you're up to date on MC2 lodes (I.e. 5 unbroken characters in the hall of rites), then you shouldn't spend any greens on an mC2 lode and make sure your next one goes to Auron. That'll put every Cid's Mission relevant character at 80 when you need them, and you'll be fully caught up when Seifers event hits in July, with all characters broken.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you're up to date on MC2 lodes (I.e. 5 unbroken characters in the hall of rites), then you shouldn't spend any greens on an mC2 lode and make sure your next one goes to Auron. That'll put every Cid's Mission relevant character at 80 when you need them, and you'll be fully caught up when Seifers event hits in July, with all characters broken.

The only MC2 I've missed was Sephiroth, is he needed for any Cid Missions?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Samba De Amigo posted:

The only MC2 I've missed was Sephiroth, is he needed for any Cid Missions?

Don't remember off the top of my head, but you still shouldn't need to spend greens.

We've got 3 lodes coming in the next 3 weeks or so, along with 6 new characters in the hall of rites sometime in the next month, followed by an average of an MC2 lode every other week starting sometime in May. Both FF7 events before that full catchup moment include MC2 lodes as well, so there's a last minute Sephiroth option availiable for both of them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Am I crazy or is the ++ stage today significantly easier than the +? I'm auto-battling (RMs are Thunderstroke, 2x berserk, Vivi RM3, Healer) and almost everything is dying in one shot and if they do get an attack off they only do like 500 damage, where in the + it was taking three most of the time and they were doing upwards of a thousand.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

IcePhoenix posted:

Am I crazy or is the ++ stage today significantly easier than the +? I'm auto-battling (RMs are Thunderstroke, 2x berserk, Vivi RM3, Healer) and almost everything is dying in one shot and if they do get an attack off they only do like 500 damage, where in the + it was taking three most of the time and they were doing upwards of a thousand.

That seems to be the general consensus. I have definitely noticed it as well.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
To make a clear post:

Optimal Things to Spend Greens on:

Mythril. Always get the Mythril.

Hero's Souls/MC/MC 2 Lodes: If and Only If, you are a newish player doing significant catchup and you've pulled a relic for somebody.

Major Orbs: but only good ones like wind/power/summon

Save up for 5* Accesories.

Things you should probably spend greens on, but not all at once right now:

Stamina Shards Ideally you only buy these when you are at 4/5 shards and zero stamina. They aren't going away from the store, so take your time, and do this when the extra shot of stam will really help, such as during an orbfest, double greens on a high-value daily like Sunday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

Things You Should Not Spend Greens On:

MC2 Lodes if you're already caught up (-5 at the moment), you'll end up with unspendable excess lodes by July. There's no rush.
Growth Eggs
Greater Orbs These cost 2,000 each. Major Orbs, when availiable, cost 10,000 each and can be broken into 10 of these. Don't be dumb.

Are you loving kidding me why would you spend greens on this:

Upgrade Materials

Gil

3* Orbs These cost 300 each. A Greater Orb costs 2000 each and can be broken into ten of these. Don't be an idiot.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
At least the FFIII ++ dungeons didn't use the Lilliputans. gently caress those guys, gently caress their speed, and gently caress their AoE spells. Now that would be rough to lose 3000 or more HP before you get off a shell.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

CaptainPsyko posted:

Stamina Shards Ideally you only buy these when you are at 4/5 shards and zero stamina. They aren't going away from the store, so take your time, and do this when the extra shot of stam will really help, such as during an orbfest, double greens on a high-value daily like Sunday or Tuesday or Wednesday.

Serious question - why would you spend 100,000 greens on a stamina shard to get a refresh during an orbfest when you could buy 50 greaters with that same 100,000? You're most likely not going to get that kind of return from your 160 stamina, so what's the point?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

bilperkins2 posted:

Serious question - why would you spend 100,000 greens on a stamina shard to get a refresh during an orbfest when you could buy 50 greaters with that same 100,000? You're most likely not going to get that kind of return from your 160 stamina, so what's the point?

Because that +1 stamina stays around forever, letting you stay away / sleep 3 minutes longer at full efficiency. It also (marginally) improves future stamina refreshes! It's a (very) long term goal, but it's something that will slowly pay itself off over the course of a year or so.

Niton fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I think only the most ludicrous stamina refresh whales can expect to get the 100k shards any time soon the rest of us will be going pffff yeah right and farming majors

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oh right, I forgot that some Cid's Missions are "Use these specific characters" and not "Use any RS characters". I still have 2 Lodes left after unlocking Greg, Bartz, and Aerith. Waiting to see if I land a Valiant Knife before deciding on Locke, and then I have SBs for Vanille and Lulu.

What's the best reference source for a summary on Cid's Missions requirements (characters, top SSBs/SBs to aim for, 5* relics to save for, etc), something on reddit I reckon?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I was tempted to buy an MC2 Lode but seeing as the next Nightmare is next Saturday I think I can wait until then for Gilga. Pretty sure I won't be bothering with Cid's Missions, though. Could the rewards really be that important? I'd never get to use Cleansing Strike if I was always following those rules.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bilperkins2 posted:

Well, for one thing, the first five stamina shards only cost 10k. Which is a Really Good Deal if you optimize them for stamina slingshotting.

If you conserve them for that purpose and are at or near max stamina now anyway, by the time you're worried about using a 100k shard, you will probably have run out of things to spend greens on, many many many months from now.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

MC2 Lodes if you're already caught up (-5 at the moment), you'll end up with unspendable excess lodes by July. There's no rush.

Thanks for letting me know. That is what I was saving up to buy.

Shishells
May 25, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

To make a clear post:

Hero's Souls/MC/MC 2 Lodes: If and Only If, you are a newish player doing significant catchup and you've pulled a relic for somebody.

Wait you can get hero souls? In a later event or something?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

CaptainPsyko posted:

Well, for one thing, the first five stamina shards only cost 10k. Which is a Really Good Deal if you optimize them for stamina slingshotting.

If you conserve them for that purpose and are at or near max stamina now anyway, by the time you're worried about using a 100k shard, you will probably have run out of things to spend greens on, many many many months from now.

I really don't think even the 10000 shards are worth it. Even if you're getting 180 stamina out of those 50000 greens, you need to average 4 greater orbs per 30 stamina to break even. Maybe during an orbfest if you count the experience but even that's probably pushing it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

koolkal posted:

I really don't think even the 10000 shards are worth it. Even if you're getting 180 stamina out of those 50000 greens, you need to average 4 greater orbs per 30 stamina to break even. Maybe during an orbfest if you count the experience but even that's probably pushing it.

It's more like 800 stamina out of those 50,000 greens if you're doing it right.

That is absolutely worth it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

That's some really gnarly logic but whatever

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

koolkal posted:

That's some really gnarly logic but whatever

I'm not sure what's gnarly logic about "only buy shards when you're at 4/5, spreading the purchases out over months, and timing them for maximum returns"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm not sure what's gnarly logic about "only buy shards when you're at 4/5, spreading the purchases out over months, and timing them for maximum returns"

Each also represents about 30 seconds of time saved every cycle from full -> empty stamina. Over a long enough timeline that adds up. Assuming you play through from full to empty twice a day, that'd be about 2.5 mins * 365 * 2 = 30 hours of extra time per year after you get all five shards.

I mean that's built on a couple assumptions and is probably part nonsense, but there is a benefit beyond immediate stam refresh!

I agree with CaptainPsyko, keeping a 10k green reserve in case of a good orbfest or emergency is a fine idea and use of the greens.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly, we are getting something like 10 free MC2 lodes in the next few months. Therefore, if we have more than 10 MC2 lodes we need then we should purchase with greens. If it's less, then we shouldn't. Is that right?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I haven't missed any so I don't need to buy any I think. I've only used one on Locke so far.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

The only Elites I have left are the three gimmicky V ones (Wendigo, the no magic/soul break one, and the no physical one) and I'm just too lazy to rearrange a team to do those. I have no concerns about actually beating them, just too lazy to bother. So I guess I'm fully caught up-ish.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Pander posted:

Each also represents about 30 seconds of time saved every cycle from full -> empty stamina. Over a long enough timeline that adds up. Assuming you play through from full to empty twice a day, that'd be about 2.5 mins * 365 * 2 = 30 hours of extra time per year after you get all five shards.

I mean that's built on a couple assumptions and is probably part nonsense, but there is a benefit beyond immediate stam refresh!

I agree with CaptainPsyko, keeping a 10k green reserve in case of a good orbfest or emergency is a fine idea and use of the greens.

Oh it most definitely is worth spending it to get a stamina refresh. Even if the refresh doesn’t happen during an event. Some back of the envelope calculations say that if I buy each stamina shard over the course of the next three months and time it so I get a refill from 0 stamina, with the first refill corresponding to the double greens event and the last refill corresponding to an orbfest, I will get an additional (on average) 5.7 to 7.2 major orbs. This doesn’t include the daily benefit of having an extra stamina, the additional exp I would be getting or any benefit I would receive past the orbest. The 10,000 greens stamina shards are well worth it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

bilperkins2 posted:

The only Elites I have left are the three gimmicky V ones (Wendigo, the no magic/soul break one, and the no physical one) and I'm just too lazy to rearrange a team to do those. I have no concerns about actually beating them, just too lazy to bother. So I guess I'm fully caught up-ish.

The latter two are really easy to cheese. For the no-magic one, Tauntilate works just fine. For the no physical one, Carbuncle neuters it completely (combine with Faith and Haste for maximum shenanigans). It also negates its hail mary Flare at the end. The only problem for that one is he starts with Regen, which heals quite a bit at that difficulty, so you'll want to bring Dispel as well.

For Wendigo, I found that attacking it with one character and saving the others helps. Once one character manages to hit the real one, quickly target it with someone else and launch their attack before the animation for the first one finishes. If you do it right, the attack will target the real Wendigo even after the switch. He really doesn't hurt that much with Protect on the party so I wouldn't worry too much.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

It's really silly to count each stamina shard as a full refresh because you're discounting where the other 4 shards are coming from. If you spent 200 stamina farming those 4 shards and instead of doing a 5th dungeon and getting the refresh, you buy the shard instead, that shard isn't worth 160 stamina or whatever. It's a huge leap of logic to claim that those 5 shards are giving you 800 stamina for 50000 greens.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

koolkal posted:

It's really silly to count each stamina shard as a full refresh because you're discounting where the other 4 shards are coming from. If you spent 200 stamina farming those 4 shards and instead of doing a 5th dungeon and getting the refresh, you buy the shard instead, that shard isn't worth 160 stamina or whatever. It's a huge leap of logic to claim that those 5 shards are giving you 800 stamina for 50000 greens.

They are, though? It's absolutely a full refresh at "zero" cost. You can't just sit on your Stamina waiting for events, and this is cheaper than doing another Elite for the fifth shard when said event rolls around.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 14, 2016

Ketsuo
Jul 17, 2003
Caution to avoid damaging game info saved, hold in reset button as you turn power off.
I'm also curious if the Valiant Knife pulls have been fixed yet, I won't have 50 mythril till tomorrow and was gonna blow it on one last shot at platinum sword regardless.

Also just got two greater orbs from my clear of the heroic 15 stamina daily, they must have really upped the drop rate on those too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lechtansi posted:

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly, we are getting something like 10 free MC2 lodes in the next few months. Therefore, if we have more than 10 MC2 lodes we need then we should purchase with greens. If it's less, then we shouldn't. Is that right?

Way, way more than 10. Pretty soon we'll start getting 1 per event, plus we already get 1 per nightmare. That's 5-6 per month. I have 15 spare MC2 lodes in Japan currently and I missed the first couple MC2s in Japan so I started out behind.

koolkal posted:

No, it isn't a huge leap of logic at all. You seem oddly invested in being right here. Just let it go.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Zurai posted:

Way, way more than 10. Pretty soon we'll start getting 1 per event, plus we already get 1 per nightmare. That's 5-6 per month. I have 15 spare MC2 lodes in Japan currently and I missed the first couple MC2s in Japan so I started out behind.

No, it isn't a huge leap of logic at all. You seem oddly invested in being right here. Just let it go.

So the first extra upcoming is the Nightmare boss in the Vincent event correct?

Shishells
May 25, 2012

What's the attack cap now? If I have a char with 300 attack and use Shout + HotE is that a waste?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Shifood posted:

What's the attack cap now? If I have a char with 300 attack and use Shout + HotE is that a waste?

It's a soft cap so it's never a strict waste, but you will definitely be hitting the soft cap. I think the soft cap is just around 600?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Shifood posted:

Actually no, I don't think it is. I think the soft cap is like 589? 590?

So a ballpark number to aim for with just Shout is 393 attack, which is 393*1.5 = 589. If you have 300 and both buffs, that's 300*1.5*1.3 = 585, which is just below the softcap.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Samba De Amigo posted:

So the first extra upcoming is the Nightmare boss in the Vincent event correct?

Nightmare bosses are separate from events; the next MC2 lode will be in the Combat Nightmare on the 23rd. The next will be the Big Bridge Boss Gauntlet, then the White Mage Nightmare. Then, starting with the Cait Sith event, (nearly) every event has an MC2 lode in the bonus battles.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Zurai posted:

Nightmare bosses are separate from events; the next MC2 lode will be in the Combat Nightmare on the 23rd. The next will be the Big Bridge Boss Gauntlet, then the White Mage Nightmare. Then, starting with the Cait Sith event, (nearly) every event has an MC2 lode in the bonus battles.

I goofed and thought Ultimate+ was Nightmare for some reason, sorry for the brain fart

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shifood posted:

Just to clear up the "soft/hard" discussion: There's a point, a "soft cap" where the effectiveness of each individual extra point of attack drops sharply; the difference between 500 and 590 (effective) attack is significant, but the difference between 590 and 680 is vastly smaller despite both differences being 90 Attack. You still GET returns from boosting Attack, but they're diminishing to a pretty high degree. The soft cap is, as stated, somewhere between 590 and 600 Attack, somewhere in that ballpark. Effort spent increasing your Attack stat past this point is vastly disproportionate to the gain you recieve, after that point.

There's also a "hard cap" where either Attack cannot go any higher, or there is zero benefit to increasing it. At that point, any effort increasing Attack is wasted effort for no gain whatsoever. You're very likely to hit the hard cap for stat boosting (+300%) far before you hit an actual hard attack cap.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's nice to know Cyan's equips are loving garbage in this game too. His strongest weapon for me right now with realm synergy is...Main Gauche. Wooooooo.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Bad news everyone, DeNA has apparently nerfed the free draw rate. The 5* rate had inched up to 0.275%, where you'd get one once in almost never. Now they's slashed it all the way back to 0.035%, which means you'll really never get a 5* now, sorry. The extra percentage just got tacked on to the 1* odds, so you don't even have a decent chance of getting 3 of 4* items now. Source.

At least I got my 1 lucky pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Schwartzcough posted:

Bad news everyone, DeNA has apparently nerfed the free draw rate. The 5* rate had inched up to 0.275%, where you'd get one once in almost never. Now they's slashed it all the way back to 0.035%, which means you'll really never get a 5* now, sorry. The extra percentage just got tacked on to the 1* odds, so you don't even have a decent chance of getting 3 of 4* items now. Source.

At least I got my 1 lucky pull.

It went from taking an average of 1 year to taking an average of 8 years to see a 5* from the daily draw. So it went from you may get 1-3 during the time playing the game to HAHAHAHA that's never going to happen.

• Locked thread