Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Ghetto fabulous!

Hopefully this wicked jb weld and bolt job will keep my exhaust in check until I get my "parts from japan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Regarding cleaning chains
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/mFcZe0y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kX0MjDo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pEpdCkN.jpg
:nws:

Personal experience is a great teacher. This was from a fixed gear bicycle I had on a stand, using a rag to clean.

I got lucky as poo poo. Today, about a year later: http://i.imgur.com/VZIsjBt.jpg

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 12, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
were you trying to clean it while riding it

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

were you trying to clean it while riding it

Beach Bum posted:

This was from a fixed gear bicycle I had on a stand, using a rag to clean.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm probably gonna go back and do mine better, including doubling up the tape (to maybe 1.5 width) and makin' sure I center it real good.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Little known fact: all motorcycle lamps come from the factory about 20% too bright. Use this one easy trick to get them back where they should be

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

N is for Nipples posted:

I'm probably gonna go back and do mine better, including doubling up the tape (to maybe 1.5 width) and makin' sure I center it real good.

You should put playing cards in the spokes too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Little known fact: all motorcycle lamps come from the factory about 20% too bright. Use this one easy trick to get them back where they should be

Chichevache posted:

I laughed aloud.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

The first thing I did when I got my bike was remove the front fairing and replace it with a bucket headlight. Today I put the fairing back on.

It has grown on me. Partly because the aftermarket bucket headlight was a pot metal piece of poo poo that gave me tons of trouble, partly because the fairing has been sitting indoors and is in very good condition while the rest of the bike has been deteriorating outside.

Speaking of pot metal piece of poo poo, had the exhaust sandblasted today. Painting this weekend. Hopefully it can last a couple of years.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Took the wheels off and cleaned it for the first time in over a year.

Something I've been wondering: is there some superior method of chain lubing out there that I'm unaware of or is spraying wildly and wiping off the excess lube that goes everywhere the only way?

I like to hold a toothbrush over the top of the chain and spray into the bristles. The lube foams up and gets forced into the o-rings.

DON'T DO THIS:
Raise the rear wheel, start it, and put the bike into 1st.
Let the idle speed turn the wheel and hold the toothbrush so it lightly touches the chain as you spray it. It works great.

You shouldn't do this because you're probably going to get some part of your clothing caught in the wheel or chain, or hand caught in the chain or drop the toothbrush and gently caress up all sorts of poo poo.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Chain cleaning / lubing chat:

Swing arm stand.
Metal brush with kerosene to clean.
ATF and a rag afterward, turning wheel by hand. Chains do alright as long as I do this regularly.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Ola posted:

Speaking of pot metal piece of poo poo, had the exhaust sandblasted today. Painting this weekend. Hopefully it can last a couple of years.

I admire your commitment to that old beast. Is it true love?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

I admire your commitment to that old beast. Is it true love?

It's like that couple who got together in high school and stayed together. They fight often but have good moments too. They wonder what it would be like with someone else, but are committed to the relationship because actually finding a new partner is too much effort. Until death or economic circumstance do us part.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have a big plastic cutting board that I put behind the chain when I'm spraying cleaner or lube. I've used cardboard underneath, as well. I do my chain lube/clean when the bike's on the stand, so that makes turning the wheel from neutral really easy.

Can of spray kerosene, Grunge Brush, cutting board behind. Spray the poo poo out of the chain as I turn the wheel with my free hand, and then a second "rinse" with the kerosene. Once the chain looks clean(ish), I spray the chain wax on it. So far it's worked just fine, and I don't get overspray on my wheel or tire. Or the dog.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

Can of spray kerosene, Grunge Brush, cutting board behind. Spray the poo poo out of the chain as I turn the wheel with my free hand, and then a second "rinse" with the kerosene.

I'd like to do this, but I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells less than a gallon. Doesn't help that it's called paraffin here, and attempts to search for small volumes of that fill the results with liquid paraffin (a laxative, and definitely not the same thing).

Is there any problem using wd40 if I'm applying proper chain lube straight after? It seems to cut through oil and dirt well enough.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is the problem with just buying dedicated chain cleaner and chain lubricant spray bottles? They are cheap, and the ones I bought for my first bike years ago still have a ton left in them after regular use.

Ola- your bike looks great, and I love that you are taking good care of it and continuing to use it.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd like to do this, but I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells less than a gallon. Doesn't help that it's called paraffin here, and attempts to search for small volumes of that fill the results with liquid paraffin (a laxative, and definitely not the same thing).

Is there any problem using wd40 if I'm applying proper chain lube straight after? It seems to cut through oil and dirt well enough.

That's kinda cool. Paraffin here is basically wax. Paraffin candles, for instance, or paraffin for canning preserves. My poor Google-fu suggests you might be able to get it at a garden centre there.

I use "Chain Cleaner" spray, which is basically kerosene in an aerosol/rattle can. No idea what you can get there, but the major brands (I have some Honda stuff, for instance, and some other brands, but they're all basically "petroleum distillate" or something). If you have a glass bottle with a squirt attachment (I guess plastic would work, not sure what kerosene would do to plastic over time) that'd work, too if you can't find a spray can version.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I installed the GIVI top case on my BMW and I will post pictures tomorrow.
The thing is that GIVI is italian, the bike is german and assuming there is a part somewhere in the bike thats Japanese... Well my bike is becoming the ghost of fascism. :negative:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Complete the ensemble with some Dainese boots, which are made in Romania.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Complete the ensemble with some Dainese boots, which are made in Romania.

I already have some Dainese jeans, maybe I will throw them in the oven.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I put the tape on thicker and more symmetrically, and looked at it for a while, and I kinda liked it. I checked my headlight beam real quick, and it was almost comical how bad it was. If it was any worse you'd see a long, dark X splayed out across the road, but I'm pretty sure headlights don't work that way.

I also finally got around to measuring my headlight bracket, and going off some professional eyeballing and one picture from a forum user I'd say I'm in business to replace my headlight brackets with stock SV650 brackets, and then mount the stock SV650N bikini fairing on it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Yeah, I bust 3, 4, sometimes up to 6 headlights a week. This tape keeps my cleanup time down to minutes"

Sagebrush posted:

Chichevache posted:

Slavvy posted:

I laughed aloud.

Thank you all so very much for peer-pressuring me into not being a total dumbass for too long. I'm glad I can trust you.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 13, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

The thing is that GIVI is italian, the bike is german and assuming there is a part somewhere in the bike thats Japanese... Well my bike is becoming the ghost of fascism. :negative:

This sounds more like a tribute to American reconstruction. :patriot:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is what the axis of evil has become.

Or the axis of evil has become the modern American Adventure Motorcyclist(R).

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

My garage contains a German car (named Fritz, after my WWII veteran great-grandfather), two Japanese bikes, and the friend I go riding with the most owns a Moto Guzzi and a Fiat.

The axis of petrol, if you will.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

My garage contains a German car (named Fritz, after my WWII veteran great-grandfather), two Japanese bikes, and the friend I go riding with the most owns a Moto Guzzi and a Fiat.

The axis of petrol, if you will.

What army did "Fritz" fight for?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

What army did "Fritz" fight for?

Well, he landed at Utah beach and got a Purple Heart at the battle of the bulge, so I'll give you three guesses. He had his name legally changed to Harry when he joined the army, since the U.S. wasn't in love with people with names like 'Fritz' in 1943

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Coydog posted:

Ola- your bike looks great, and I love that you are taking good care of it and continuing to use it.

Thanks!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well, he landed at Utah beach and got a Purple Heart at the battle of the bulge, so I'll give you three guesses. He had his name legally changed to Harry when he joined the army, since the U.S. wasn't in love with people with names like 'Fritz' in 1943

I was kinda hoping the spoiler tags contained a twist about how he bailed out from his Fw-190 over Utah beach and escaped in a stolen uniform at the Bulge. But your great-grandfather was cool!

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I just rode it, but my bike turned 50000 km. Happy 50 megameter day!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
is Sweden close enough to Norway to name my Husky Vidkun? :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slim Pickens posted:

is Sweden close enough to Norway to name my Husky Vidkun? :v:
When you own a husqvarna, and have proven you can pronounce husqvarna, you have then accepted Sweden into your heart and life and can name your bike these things. If naming bikes wasn't kind of weird. But, do you if it makes you happy.

Today I changed the sprockets and chain; a job I've been in the dark about for way too long. It was fun and went smoothly, since I had all the right tools. Seriously everybody get an RK Chain breaker/press. Worth the money.

Also, my C shaped sproket cover spacer wouldn't fit around my new larger sprocket. In a fit of genius, I thought of some of the unused licence plate holder nuts I had would be the right height and thread for a spacer. They were, and I'm actually quite proud of how well it worked out. Cover is on, you can't tell they are there, and there is plenty of clearance for the cover.

Not a super fan of going to highway gearing at 14/40, though, and will probably play with "wheelie everywhere" gearing in the coming months. Since I ponied up for the right tools, I can literally do this as much as I want now with low cost. Love it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Husqvisling. :tinfoil:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1. Finally repaired the trip odometer.

The little clicky reset shaft broke off shortly after I bought the bike a couple of years ago (I think the DSPO had just superglued it in place to fool me). This meant that not only could I not reset the odometer when I'd stop for gas, but the wheels eventually fell off and started rattling around inside the speedometer case so they didn't even turn. While I'd tried to repair the thing a few times, it's just really fuckin hard to glue or solder together a piece of cheap pot metal .080" in diameter in a way that will let it take a significant torque. So I'd taken to just writing the last mileage on the speedometer glass with a grease pencil and using that to figure out my range.

Well, I finally got sick of it, so I took the whole speedometer apart, pulled out the trip odometer, took all the number wheels off the shaft, took some dimensions, and turned a new shaft out of a brass rod. Had to make a custom tool to broach the keyway channel (.038 wide) and filed in the appropriate flats by hand. Drilled and tapped a 2mm hole in the end to attach the original reset knob. Polished the shaft up to a mirror shine so that the wheels would turn smoothly, put it back together, and reassembled the gauge. Seems to work perfectly. So, hooray! I can finally keep track of how much range I have left again, in the way the manufacturer intended.

(test-fit prior to polishing. I also touched up the numbers with white paint)

2. Installed the new turn signals I designed. These guys are phenomenally bright...way better than either the original DOT ones, or the previous LED models I was using that I was never totally happy with. I oriented the emitters with a projector lens front and rear, and a diffused translucent piece to the side, so there's now 360-degree visibility with intense spots ahead and behind. Main housing is printed in carbon-reinforced PHA for rigidity; the diffused lenses are hex-infill PLA, which works fine for now, but I think I might try to reprint them in a more transparent material for a cooler effect (I'd love to be able to see the electronics inside). Overall, though, really happy with the outcome. I also took the opportunity to rewire the dash turn signal indicator, which had quit working as soon as I swapped to LEDs because Honda does the weirdass "ground the indicator lamp through the opposite side turn signal" thing. A new ground and a couple of diodes and a 10mm LED and now that's working properly too --- which is extra important since the super bright signals are more likely to confuse drivers if I leave them on accidentally.

Now I just need to replace the burnt-out speedometer illumination bulb and I'll have a fully functional instrument panel :woop:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 14, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That's awesome, you're awesome. Those indicators came put really nice, what kind of printer do you have?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Bonus points for sleeving your cable.
Those signals came out really nice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I bought a can of chain cleaner.

I emptied that can of chain cleaner :magical:

The crap was so thick that spraying the chain did nothing, so I had to spray the brush, scrub a few links, then spray the brush again to clean it off/load it up to do the next few links. As a side effect of not using any kind of backboard, I discovered that my wheel rims aren't supposed to be dull grey, but are in fact bright silver :v:

Also took off the luggage rack to make my mechanic's life a bit easier this weekend (since the rack impedes the removal of the rear fairings, which need to come off for engine access. Yeah.) and managed to lose one of the nuts off the left rear passenger peg in the process. It's a standard 13mm nylock, so I'll take a walk down the timber shop tomorrow to get a new set.

I've probably caused a minor ecological disaster with the amount of petroleum products I've dumped down the drain this evening, but I feel like I've accomplished something, so hey ho.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh yeah also I'm pretty sure a lot of the old chain oil is now coating my rear tyre and brake disc :suicide:

I did have a go at scrubbing the disc with brake cleaner and a rag, but the things never seem to come all the way clean on the best of days. Not sure what I can do about the tyre except ride carefully for the next few miles until the road dust can scrub it a bit.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I've probably caused a minor ecological disaster with the amount of petroleum products I've dumped down the drain this evening, but I feel like I've accomplished something, so hey ho.

I've only lived in my house since October and there are already so many new and interesting stains on my garage floor :haw:

Gonna change the oil/filter/air-filter today when I get home from work, and my chain odo kicked over 800 today so I'm already some 200 miles overdue, plus it's been raining like hell lately. Gonna be fun afternoon :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I've only lived in my house since October and there are already so many new and interesting stains on my garage floor :haw:

Gonna change the oil/filter/air-filter today when I get home from work, and my chain odo kicked over 800 today so I'm already some 200 miles overdue, plus it's been raining like hell lately. Gonna be fun afternoon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Oh yeah also I'm pretty sure a lot of the old chain oil is now coating my rear tyre and brake disc :suicide:

I did have a go at scrubbing the disc with brake cleaner and a rag, but the things never seem to come all the way clean on the best of days. Not sure what I can do about the tyre except ride carefully for the next few miles until the road dust can scrub it a bit.

Brake cleaner has worked for engine oil spills (generally on the manifold pipes). Maybe that would work for you?