Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A user just asked for a list of all directories in his m drive so he could give it to someone so they could ask him for things that he might have based on the folder names.

I'm going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Lunar Suite posted:

Look at this stash, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the one
The one hoarding everything?
Look at this trove, treasures untold
Just how much garbage can one cellar hold?
Looking around here you'd think
Sure, he's got everything
I've got daisy chain LANs a plenty
I've got buffalo drives galore
You want 5MB RAM sticks? I've got twenty!
But that does... not concern,
You at alllll...

I wanna be where the crypto is
I wanna see our files held hostage
Lost without any
What do you call 'em? Oh, backups.
Installing machine by machine you don't get too far
GPOs are required for administration
And properly doing your
What's that word again?
Job
With PCs that crawl, with cables that creak
A 1TB external is all we will need
Firewall-free
Wish I could be, part of that world

What would I give if I could save
A single penny?
What would I pay for critical kit?
Maybe ten bucks.
Betcha' larches don't understand
Better reprimand that schemer
Bright young neck beard, plotting my downfall,
Needs to be shown.

Now I'm ready to know what the GM knows
Have him ask my questions
And get some answers
What's a Bitcoin and how much does it - what's the word?
Cost?
When's it my turn?
Wouldn't I love, love to see Locky and quickly gently caress off?
Out of IT
Wish I could be
Part of that world

:perfect:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

A user just asked for a list of all directories in his m drive so he could give it to someone so they could ask him for things that he might have based on the folder names.

I'm going home.

dir /s > files.txt

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Antifreeze Head posted:

dir /s > files64.csv

FTFY

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We were asked to create an Outlook script to auto print any attachment that came in to a specific Outlook account. Coworker wrote this up.

code:
Sub LSPrint(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
On Error GoTo OError

'detect Temp
Dim oFS As FileSystemObject
Dim sTempFolder As String
Set oFS = New FileSystemObject
'Temporary Folder Path
sTempFolder = oFS.GetSpecialFolder(TemporaryFolder)

'creates a special temp folder
cTmpFld = sTempFolder & "\OETMP" & Format(Now, "yyyymmddhhmmss")
MkDir (cTmpFld)

'save & print
Dim oAtt As Attachment
For Each oAtt In Item.Attachments
FileName = oAtt.FileName
FullFile = cTmpFld & "\" & FileName

'save attachment
oAtt.SaveAsFile (FullFile)

'prints attachment
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFolder = objShell.NameSpace(0)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(FullFile)
objFolderItem.InvokeVerbEx ("print")

Next oAtt

'Cleanup
If Not oFS Is Nothing Then Set oFS = Nothing
If Not objFolder Is Nothing Then Set objFolder = Nothing
If Not objFolderItem Is Nothing Then Set objFolderItem = Nothing
If Not objShell Is Nothing Then Set objShell = Nothing

OError:
If Err <> 0 Then
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
Err.Clear
End If
Exit Sub

End Sub
And here is the loving rule.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

We were asked to create an Outlook script to auto print any attachment that came in to a specific Outlook account. Coworker wrote this up.

code:
Sub LSPrint(Item As Outlook.MailItem)
On Error GoTo OError

'detect Temp
Dim oFS As FileSystemObject
Dim sTempFolder As String
Set oFS = New FileSystemObject
'Temporary Folder Path
sTempFolder = oFS.GetSpecialFolder(TemporaryFolder)

'creates a special temp folder
cTmpFld = sTempFolder & "\OETMP" & Format(Now, "yyyymmddhhmmss")
MkDir (cTmpFld)

'save & print
Dim oAtt As Attachment
For Each oAtt In Item.Attachments
FileName = oAtt.FileName
FullFile = cTmpFld & "\" & FileName

'save attachment
oAtt.SaveAsFile (FullFile)

'prints attachment
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFolder = objShell.NameSpace(0)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(FullFile)
objFolderItem.InvokeVerbEx ("print")

Next oAtt

'Cleanup
If Not oFS Is Nothing Then Set oFS = Nothing
If Not objFolder Is Nothing Then Set objFolder = Nothing
If Not objFolderItem Is Nothing Then Set objFolderItem = Nothing
If Not objShell Is Nothing Then Set objShell = Nothing

OError:
If Err <> 0 Then
MsgBox Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
Err.Clear
End If
Exit Sub

End Sub
And here is the loving rule.

What's the address?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What's the address?

chucklefuckprintingtonsofstuff: Dicks, all I see are dicks, DICKS EVERYWHERE oh and a cat, WITH A DICK

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's basically the mailbox where our purchase orders come into.

Yes they come in electronically, then printed, then typed in manually to a different system.

Then the printed copies get filed in boxes cause gently caress electronic filing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GreenNight posted:

Yes they come in electronically, then printed, then typed in manually to a different system.

Then the printed copies get filed in boxes cause gently caress electronic filing.

Does your company like not know what an EDI is? We have some customers (actually most) who refuse to use EDI so most of our stuff is done this way but we still manually print it and charge extra for processing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

pixaal posted:

Does your company like not know what an EDI is? We have some customers (actually most) who refuse to use EDI so most of our stuff is done this way but we still manually print it and charge extra for processing.

We have EDI, but that's a whole another can of worms. I don't have anything to do with EDI.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

We print orders, someone else checks the order and writes tracking # etc on them, and then scans them in and saves them on the server.

YOU COULD JUST KEEP THAT INFO IN THE ORDER THAT'S STORED ON THE COMPUTER YA KNOW

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Nah, I once worked at a place where the computers crashed. Lets keep printed copies of everything in the basement but not have any shelving to put them on or a plan to destroy really old things so we run out of room and stuff is stacked wherever and now I can't find anything.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A podcast came in.

My friend wants me to do a podcast where i regale tales of larchesdanrew woe with a focus on my experience at the television station.

Should be fun.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yesterday a "ticket" came in...

We have a few merchants who process payments using Authorize.net. Apparently, over the weekend, some service of theirs that communicates between them and First Data was down, and this caused less than a dozen total merchants to not get funded when they batched out during the downtime. My company was not informed of this. Yesterday, one of our merchants called in, complaining that their batch closed on their end on Saturday, but they were not funded for it. I checked my system, and I could see their batch for Friday, and for Sunday, but not for Saturday. They asked if they should call Auth.net, and I told them sure, they'd probably know more about what happened than I would be able to tell them. We ended the conversation, and I went about my day. Half an hour later, the merchant calls back and says that Auth.net resent the batch info to First Data, and that we needed to have them close the batch. I said "That's not a problem. Just be aware that when we have them force close the batch, you'll get paid for it, but you won't get a report. Is that ok?" "Sure, that's fine! As long as we get our money." Cool, no problem. I end the call, call First Data, force close the batch, and sit back and think to myself "Job Well Done".

This morning, I sit down at my desk and check my inbox, and am greeted with this:

quote:

Attention: Customer Service

We had a batch out that did not cross. My employee spent several hours on the phone trying to get this resolved. The fact that I have to pay an employee for several hours labor, while you give her the run around, does not make me happy. Time is money. It should not cost my company several hours of labor to get my payment batches resolved due to someone else's error.
I have two other companies with a different merchant services provider and have never had a problem with them. I expect someone to contact me with how they plan to rectify this situation, or I plan on moving this business over to the other company.
Regards,
<stupid loving prick>
CEO of <company I will never do business with in the future>

This email was sent to our generic "support" inbox, which CCs all incoming emails to myself, my technician coworker, the 3 partners in the company/my immediate bosses, and the loving CEO of my company. 1 of the partners was already in disaster recovery mode, and the other two instantly interrogated me on what happened. At first, I was so pissed I couldn't see straight, but now I'm debating whether or not I should print out the loving email and hang it on the wall.

The best part? All of this was over a $27 batch total.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

My friend wants me to do a podcast where i regale tales of larchesdanrew woe with a focus on my experience at the television station.

Should be fun.

I will subscribe to this podcast the instant it becomes available.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going home.

Powershell
Get-ChildItem M: -Recurse | ConvertTo-Html | Out-File C:\Output\Filelist.html

You could also do csv or straight text, but this probably looks nicer to most people.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

Should be fun.

This may beat out Revolutions Podcast as my favorite podcast when it starts.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

Should be fun.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter podcast

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

This email was sent to our generic "support" inbox, which CCs all incoming emails to myself, my technician coworker, the 3 partners in the company/my immediate bosses, and the loving CEO of my company. 1 of the partners was already in disaster recovery mode, and the other two instantly interrogated me on what happened. At first, I was so pissed I couldn't see straight, but now I'm debating whether or not I should print out the loving email and hang it on the wall.

The best part? All of this was over a $27 batch total.

In my experience people and companies who freak the gently caress out about super small things like this tend to either be a sinking ship or hell to work with.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In my experience people and companies who freak the gently caress out about super small things like this tend to either be a sinking ship or hell to work with.

Today I was copied into an E-mail sent to our tech supplier asking why we were charged £5 to deliver a couple of cables.

- First off we generally get free delivery except for dinky stuff like this which costs peanuts, and the supplier eats the cost if things go wrong.
- Secondly it's five loving quid, holy poo poo who even cares.

Either way I usually end up bantering with our account manager about stupid bullshit like this, he's pretty good at getting deals and I've saved us poo poo loads of money but it goes completely unnoticed in the face of crappy crap petty things.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Powershell
Get-ChildItem M: -Recurse | ConvertTo-Html | Out-File C:\Output\Folderlist.html

You could also do csv or straight text, but this probably looks nicer to most people.

:eng101: If you wanted to fulfil his exact request, regardless of how wrong it is:

Get-ChildItem M: -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSisContainer} | ConvertTo-Html | Out-File C:\Output\Folderlist.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A ticket went out (because a salesperson couldn't find the rear end warbler):

:psyduck: How all of the gently caress do you break product search so that %rear end% only finds STRAPON, 40½" YELLOW PASSIVATED but not, for instance, rear end WARBLER, RUSSIAN or MASSIVE HAIRY FAKE TITS, 230V?

I want to meet the programmer who managed to gently caress up wildcards like that and shake his hand.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

Should be fun.

Goldmine this podcast

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
But talk to a lawyer first. $150 now may save your rear end down the road.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

Should be fun.

Idea:
Make them a series of radio plays. Get people to do voices, sound fx, everything. Have the hero of our stories also narrate events as they happen in the story.

I would definitely PayPal tip jar for a good, funny "based-on-a-series-of-real-events" 15 to 30 minute radio-plays.

devmd01 posted:

But yeah. This too.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

devmd01 posted:

For the love of god do this first!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Larches, you have posted on the internet about your old job. Before you do anything for the rest of your life, you will need to speak to a lawyer.

Want to eat cereal for breakfast instead of toast? GM will want to sue you for that son, and have mercy if CE finds out that cereal was cinnamon toast crunch. Better consult your lawyer!

(It's a podcast about a job he no longer relies on for money. Come on guys what could a lawyer possibly offer to this situation)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Larches, you have posted on the internet about your old job. Before you do anything for the rest of your life, you will need to speak to a lawyer.

Want to eat cereal for breakfast instead of toast? GM will want to sue you for that son, and have mercy if CE finds out that cereal was cinnamon toast crunch. Better consult your lawyer!

(It's a podcast about a job he no longer relies on for money. Come on guys what could a lawyer possibly offer to this situation)

Partial rear end-pull here, but I think the concern is that it could be construed as something like a breach of trust, revealing internal business practices to the public even if through satire.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even without direct legal implications, there's a difference between posting anonymously on an internet forum and a podcast where presumably you will be named poo poo-talking a former employer.

When people google your name in future, do you want them to find a podcast of you poo poo-talking a former employer? No you don't.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

devmd01 posted:

I would do this as well. Especially if you're using your own name or own voice. I. E. Anything that could identify you.

You've not told us the name of the TV Station and even then people have been trying to identify it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Alchenar posted:

Even without direct legal implications, there's a difference between posting anonymously on an internet forum and a podcast where presumably you will be named poo poo-talking a former employer.

When people google your name in future, do you want them to find a podcast of you poo poo-talking a former employer? No you don't.

Use a pen name, and have someone else narrate. Also have it made clear that while it is based on real events there is much fiction. Make this clear by early on having something really odd. Maybe an robot sidekick.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

pixaal posted:

Maybe an robot sidekick.
I was going to suggest having Frank Welker voice CE so there's that.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
... so which one of you confess doing this:

http://serverfault.com/questions/769357/recovering-from-a-rm-rf

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Never use a slash with rm in a script. cd {foo} and then rm -rf {bar}

If {foo} or {bar} fails, you have done nothing to anything. :v:

CSB: I did this once a long time ago. And someone told me about dropping slashes after two days of rebuilding. It's been gospel ever since.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I really like that "how can I recover in a timely manner?" looks like an incredibly calm and reasonable question when you know the guy who asked it is pacing back and forth, chain smoking, gibbering and trying to work out how to tell his boss that he deleted literally everything.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

I have the weirdest deja vu, no idea why.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

larchesdanrew posted:

A podcast came in.

Should be fun.

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Arsten posted:

Never use a slash with rm in a script. cd {foo} and then rm -rf {bar}

If {foo} or {bar} fails, you have done nothing to anything. :v:

CSB: I did this once a long time ago. And someone told me about dropping slashes after two days of rebuilding. It's been gospel ever since.

Not sure about current behavior but I memorably recall a situation where someone had a script with

cd $app_dir
rm var/log/*

Later on they moved app_dir but didn't update the script. The cd failed, the script continued running, many log files were lost. I explained the value of cd $app_dir && rm var/log/* to my colleague.

These days, when I script at all, I try to be a creature of paranoia. Do these variables have non-zero length? Do they refer to directories that exist? Can I cd to those directories? If all of these things are true, maybe I will rm something.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
if [ -d $app_dir ] is hard, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A ticket came in:
I have not gotten any email in two weeks. I do not know if this is related to the domain expiring on 3/31. Please advise.

:stare:

• Locked thread