Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Me, too. I spent all of last night being pretty down on the game and bitching about weapon balance and poo poo, and now I'm at work and all I can think about is DS3 and how much I want to go and run around and Dark Souls more

I have a mental checklist of things to go back and grab before going to cathedral and NOT farron keep. One more hour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
shame the club sucks rear end, but at least the weird ice greatsword sure is a great sword

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Aldrich/location/deepest lore spoilers, skip to 1:15

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How do I get the little thief guy's questline to go. I kept telling him Yes all game and he never did a goddamn thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks all! The part about "+24" was really enlightening. I think I put RAW on my broadsword and +1 on my longsword.

So far I'm barely dipping my feet in the water. Those big Lothric knights still give me trouble, especially that guy with a spear and shield. It just seems they do so many attacks in a row I can't dodge them all. I'm slowly inching my way towards the courtyard (with the dead knights' fountain and all) because I assume that's the way to go.

Note that reinforcement and infusion are separate things that aren't exclusive. Upgrading a weapon to +5 and then Raw infusing it means you have a Raw +5 weapon. You can use a shriving stone to strip the Raw infusion and replace it with something else. Whatever.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I am so jealous of you :argh:
I also had an awesome four watchdog charge during the time I was farming the covenant items :smug:

To be fair it probably, like the other covenants, is largely dependant on platform, soul level and weapon upgrade rank. I was around SL 34-37 during the time and had a +4 weapon so that seems to be the sweet spot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just can't get over the possibility of showing up as a blue sentinel then dying instantly to the npcs directly behind you attacking as you load in. Was that how it worked in DS2? I never got summoned there to do it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

weekly font posted:

How do I get the little thief guy's questline to go. I kept telling him Yes all game and he never did a goddamn thing.

When you say yes, he leaves, and then when you kill a boss, he comes back. Depending upon how you play, you might not be visiting him to notice he's gone at the time.

His inventory expands each time though so you're really not very observant. And if you keep telling him yes, he really does do something, so you must not be very far.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just can't get over the possibility of showing up as a blue sentinel then dying instantly to the npcs directly behind you attacking as you load in. Was that how it worked in DS2? I never got summoned there to do it.

I'm real surprised after DS2 had enemies that agro'd on bonfires, and then in SOTFS they kinda changed it a bit to make it less bullshit, that they went and made the same mistake in DS3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I have a mental checklist of things to go back and grab before going to cathedral and NOT farron keep. One more hour...

I'm heading back to Farron Keep for a bit to grab the Dreamcatcher's Ashes, so the handmaiden will sell me titanite shards, but not going to beat the boss there for NPC quest reasons.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game is great. Undead Settlement was excellent. They took the best parts of Yharnam and expanded upon it.

I have a feeling I might end up liking the smaller set of transformable weapons from BB more, even if it hurts build diversity, but that might just be because I'm waffling on build so bad right now.

Any opinions on the great scythe? I think that's what it's called. The 14 str/14 dex one.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am still in awe of how insanely difficult Pontiff Sulyvahn is. He's as fast and aggressive as Orphan of Kos and has a lot of health. Why is this game so focused on speed?

And yet I can't stop playing it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zaphod42 posted:

When you say yes, he leaves, and then when you kill a boss, he comes back. Depending upon how you play, you might not be visiting him to notice he's gone at the time.

His inventory expands each time though so you're really not very observant. And if you keep telling him yes, he really does do something, so you must not be very far.

Hm, must have been bugged? Was over the course of the entire game. Never even had the option to see him with a shop, just asking that question forever.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Zaphod42 posted:

Pick your weapon based on the moveset, whichever moveset you prefer is the weapon you should infuse with chaos. Don't worry about dumb min/maxing. So what if some rapier would do 20 more damage per hit if you much prefer the moveset of the longsword or whathaveyou? Its going to be like a 5% difference, just pick what you think looks cool and is fun to use.

I was mainly just wondering if anything had particularly good scaling without requiring a huge amount of stat investment. I'd like to start pumping my int/faith to make use of the bigger pyromancy spells, but if there's a decent chaos weapon I might put some points into str/dex or whatever.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE THE WINDOWS COLOR SCHEME

thanks game i didnt want to die like a puss there but im okay im not mad

When I started playing the reports of crashes were everywhere, so when the screen went black my heart sank for a second. until I realized it was just windows being Really Cool.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One recurring mechanic, if there is an elevator, you can almost surely step out just before reaching bottom to find goodies/secrets

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how many more zones after the poison swamp is the fume ultra great sword?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When password matched what else needs to line up to loving do coop with friends? I can see signs normally without a password, but I can't see then when using my friends passwords

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but do I need to use an ember in order to be summoned as a Blue Sentinel? I noticed after I used one that my covenant symbol turned all fiery, and it seems to pulse once in a while, but I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

Also I feel like Blue Sentinels might already be dead on console past the very early game. At lvl 37 with a +3 weapon I've been getting zero hits in the swamp / woods, and that feels like it should be right in that ideal range for it.

From what I can pick up, the woods/swamp specifically isn't going to do you any good because that's the area this game cuts out for this games cat/bell covenant and they play by different rules. In addition, bluecopping will drop you in other areas, you don't specifically have to be where you're trying to get summoned into.

Also fun fact: Wear the sunbro covenant and use a red-eyed orb. You jump into a game that already has a red phantom. You team up with said red phantom for some jolly co-operation in slapping the host around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

I am still in awe of how insanely difficult Pontiff Sulyvahn is. He's as fast and aggressive as Orphan of Kos and has a lot of health. Why is this game so focused on speed?

And yet I can't stop playing it.

He's up there with Artorias and Fume Knight as one of the best fights I've had in Souls game. I wasn't a huge fan of Darklurker due to RNG but he fixes that too.

Now if only I could stop delay-rolling :argh: I'm pretty sure the game will store up a roll if you get hit after pressing the button but before executing the roll. Because of this, you'll get hit and then your character will immediately do an (uintended) roll once the stagger wears off, often putting you right at risk of the next attack.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jose posted:

how many more zones after the poison swamp is the fume ultra great sword?

SOON, but 1 more without it, but sort of...you need to explore..

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Robo Reagan posted:

When password matched what else needs to line up to loving do coop with friends? I can see signs normally without a password, but I can't see then when using my friends passwords

Should just need to both have the exact same password and the summoner be embered.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

turtlecrunch posted:

thats fine. i've finally just given up trying to use the large club 1 handed and all of a sudden i'm actually knocking things over/killing it in one combo/not taking so much damage

the lack of a horizontal swing 1 handed is a big problem

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's been a while since I played through Demon's Souls. I watched a few boss videos on youtube yesterday, and I'd forgotten how forgiving certain elements of that game are. In a video of the Allant fight, someone had 99 Full Moon Grasses in their inventory, and he just kept spamming heals throughout the fight without any consequence. On top of being able to essentially carry an unlimited amount of items that heal you 100%, popping the grass recharges your health immediately. It doesn't slowly fill like it does with estus or lifegems. Allant also seemed really methodical. He telegraphs all of his attacks and gives you plenty of time to back off and heal.

I'd like to go back and play through Demon's Souls after I finish Dark Souls 3. I get the feeling that I'd tear through it pretty quickly, despite being terrible at it when I played through it originally and needing to cheese a bunch of the bosses.

Yea I only played a little bit of Demon's Souls. I'm going to go back and play that after finishing DS3. I wonder if I'll just breeze through it now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeathSandwich posted:

Also fun fact: Wear the sunbro covenant and use a red-eyed orb. You jump into a game that already has a red phantom. You team up with said red phantom for some jolly co-operation in slapping the host around.

That's amazing. I'm getting the red eye orb after work and spending time with the purple pals and golden guys invading and dicking around.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are some of the better strength weapons to look out for, currently using the battleaxe since it's nice and light but want something with a bit more reach and poise for a second weapon.

Should I throw some souls and titanite into a Greataxe, Greatsword, Great Machete, Great Club, or something without Great in the name like a zweihander or halberd?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Where is it? I'm at what I think is the last boss and haven't found it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea I only played a little bit of Demon's Souls. I'm going to go back and play that after finishing DS3. I wonder if I'll just breeze through it now.

Probably. Hell, I breezed through it after only playing Dark Souls 1. I still love it, though, probably more than DS1, weirdly enough. (Of course, part of the reason I breezed through might be down to how crazy good the Lava Bow is, but still.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuggan posted:

Should just need to both have the exact same password and the summoner be embered.

Yes

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Your Computer posted:

He's up there with Artorias and Fume Knight as one of the best fights I've had in Souls game. I wasn't a huge fan of Darklurker due to RNG but he fixes that too.

Now if only I could stop delay-rolling :argh: I'm pretty sure the game will store up a roll if you get hit after pressing the button but before executing the roll. Because of this, you'll get hit and then your character will immediately do an (uintended) roll once the stagger wears off, often putting you right at risk of the next attack.

I'm definitely having a lot more trouble with delayed inputs in this game than I ever had in DS1/2, guess I gotta stop being lazy and buttonspamming instead of pressing when I see an opening. Probably cost me half my failed attempts on Abyss Watchers that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

It's really easy outside of 1 or 2 areas, and 1 or 2 bosses. The dodge mechanics are a bit different, and you have less mobility than in DS3, but if you know the basics of the Souls formula, then you can pretty easily kill most bosses on your first try.

Still a good game though, definitely worth playing if you like the series.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Stormgale posted:

Ummm I want to say it's after bell, near the snake person gauntlet to get the body stone

ah i found it, thanks!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For no discernible reason there is no Nexus site up for DS3 yet so there's still no PS button mod in the wild for PC. I might check the files when I get home and see if you can just copy/paste DS2 stuff over to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question about Yoel/Yuria.

I know she won't show up if you cure the Dark Sigil before Yoel dies. What happens if you cure it after she shows up? Can you still continue her quest and get the third ending, or do you have to keep at least one Dark Sigil?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Well CRAP.

Fire Demon wasted me and Seigward.

R.I.P.

What level should I be at? I'm at level 23 with starting knight armor and a Katana as my gear.

Should I go down the elevator first? Or all the way to the top and come back later to fight this fire demon?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sector_corrector posted:

It's really easy outside of 1 or 2 areas, and 1 or 2 bosses. The dodge mechanics are a bit different, and you have less mobility than in DS3, but if you know the basics of the Souls formula, then you can pretty easily kill most bosses on your first try.

Still a good game though, definitely worth playing if you like the series.

There's a couple of Demon's souls bosses that are still kind of fuckers, but yeah, largely in comparison to the later games Demon's souls was kind of tame on the boss front. Flamelurker and Maneater still give me troubles when I go back nowadays.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

Well CRAP.

R.I.P.

What level should I be at? I'm at level 23 with starting knight armor and a Katana as my gear.

Should I go down the elevator first? Or all the way to the top and come back later to fight this fire demon?

I did it at level 15 by alternating tanking and letting Sig hit him and hitting him when he was hitting Sig.

Go up the elevator first since what's up there is quick. I'm doing the bottom part now myself. Tough enemy ahead.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
(1) Is there any downside to killing the woman inside the church at the beginning? I might as well check out the area she opens, especially since I've done a couple of levels after her.

(2) Where do I run into the NPC dude who attacks me occasionally? I heard you meet him at the Road while embered, although I haven't had the pleasure. Maybe I just haven't been embered by the entrance, considering I've beat the area?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boosted_C5 posted:

Well CRAP.

R.I.P.

I did it at about that level maybe 25, you can let onion man do a lot of the work, he's good at distracting it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how do I get Orc Chieftan Thrall Axe?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

I've noticed that nearly every boss in this game are harder than nearly all of the bosses in all of the previous games. I love this game but it seems that most of the bosses are loving speed demons with huge combo attacks. I used to think Fume Knight and Artorias were tough but then I met Pontiff Sullyvahn and Jesus Christ that guy is loving Satan on speed in the first phase. Everything is a huge combo with multiple differently timed swings or a quick-fired long ranged stab and I am too scared to approach him because he can't be stunned and I'll get caught in his tornado of pain. I'd say he's nearly as hard as Ludwig. Thankfully he calms the gently caress down in his second phase but by then my nerves are shattered and I panic. I beat him on my 20th or so attempt.

I feel like this game went a little too far on making bosses difficult through speed rather than timing or whatever. In DS1 the only bosses remotely as fast as PS were Artorias, Manus, and maybe Super Ornstein.

I still love this game but I'm getting really fatigued by the bosses all being Bloodborne bosses. I miss having slower bosses with unique ways of being challenging without having giant attack combos.

What kind of weapon are you using? I've been having kind of the opposite experience where it feels like the bosses don't deal very well with you being in their face with a big weapon + don't have enough health

Like I'm not some kind of souls god or anything but I think I'm near the end and most of them have went down in one or two attempts (PS took 3 I think) I guess I had kind of the same experience with Bloodborne though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

how do I get Orc Chieftan Thrall Axe?

I'm guessing you need to kill the black ninja goblins wielding those (the little assholes who cling to walls/ceilings and jump everywhere), but they're not very cooperative.