Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

These clowns ran their MRG without lube oil in it until it failed.

How long does that take, roughly? Is it gonna mulch the gearbox within seconds of starting up, or would it run for a while with enough time to say "hey, I don't think that sounds right" before finally failing?

The closest thing I can compare it to is aircraft RGBs, which are designed to run for like 30+ minutes even if you dump all your oil; you may not have a usable gearbox at the end, but it'll get you back on deck safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's even more entertaining when you realize that all crew members are on at least there second sea tour, so they should at least know how to do maintenance.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I don't even run my junk without proper lubrication.

Such good gently caress ups

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

It's even more entertaining when you realize that all crew members are on at least there second sea tour, so they should at least know how to do maintenance.

That's a problem with the class. The ships have three rotating crews, so there's no real ownership. Also lol at maintenance. I was looking through the 43p1 and its pretty thin, most maintenance is done by tech reps. It's funny seeing all of the lcs hate by old retired guys that don't know anything about the program on facebook though.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

PneumonicBook posted:

...three rotating crews...

Holy poo poo, I bet they still bitch about the amount of time they are on the boat. God drat, gently caress them. Now perma-liberty in Singapore. They did it on purpose!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Null Integer posted:

Holy poo poo, I bet they still bitch about the amount of time they are on the boat. God drat, gently caress them. Now perma-liberty in Singapore. They did it on purpose!

Or perma-"you fuckers have put me on the front of Navy Times you will be working three section no overnight as long as we're here until my ship is fixed"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

How long does that take, roughly? Is it gonna mulch the gearbox within seconds of starting up, or would it run for a while with enough time to say "hey, I don't think that sounds right" before finally failing?

It really depends on the class of ship and what you're doing with it. Generally for shipboard gears they'll run for a good long time without oil. Sure they're hosed beyond repair if you do it but the gears are large, and the teeth robust enough, that they can take a lot of abuse before they physically fail to the point they no longer mesh and stop turning the shaft.

Granted I'm not privy to the actual investigation, but my understanding is that the FORT WORTH guys ran it dry for at least a few weeks.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Granted I'm not privy to the actual investigation, but my understanding is that the FORT WORTH guys ran it dry for at least a few weeks.

Weeks? LOL. loving SWOs man... Weeks?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

ManMythLegend posted:

It really depends on the class of ship and what you're doing with it. Generally for shipboard gears they'll run for a good long time without oil. Sure they're hosed beyond repair if you do it but the gears are large, and the teeth robust enough, that they can take a lot of abuse before they physically fail to the point they no longer mesh and stop turning the shaft.

Wouldn't something like that require log gaffing on a huge scale? like the entire engineering department making up numbers and various supervisory watches not questioning anything?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Wouldn't something like that require log gaffing on a huge scale? like the entire engineering department making up numbers and various supervisory watches not questioning anything?

While this is all true, the crew size is 25ish so the entire engineering department is like 7 people. Granted that's no excuse, but keep in mind a lot of watches and watch stations are truncated, and who knows the technical level of the people manning them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure the details. But the automatic logging system that LCS uses should have still caught it from the temp alarms alone. Even if their sensors failed they still should have taking oil samples regularly enough to realize there was none. It's a massive gently caress up all around.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure the details. But the automatic logging system that LCS uses should have still caught it from the temp alarms alone. Even if their sensors failed they still should have taking oil samples regularly enough to realize there was none. It's a massive gently caress up all around.

I've heard rumors that they were taking oil samples and there was liquid in the sump: mostly dirty black water. So the reduction gearboxes weren't DRY, they just had no OIL. Training, experience, something something what oil looks like.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
This surprises me not at all. During our last deployment, Engineering basically said gently caress everything. One of the A/C machines was literally spewing oil all over the space it was in for a good 5 months before they finally did anything about it. They just kept refilling it with more oil. They finally had to fix it when it poo poo the fan, because someone forgot to refill the oil. The sounds it made without oil was one of the most disturbing noises I've ever heard from a machine.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hobolicious posted:

This surprises me not at all. During our last deployment, Engineering basically said gently caress everything. One of the A/C machines was literally spewing oil all over the space it was in for a good 5 months before they finally did anything about it. They just kept refilling it with more oil. They finally had to fix it when it poo poo the fan, because someone forgot to refill the oil. The sounds it made without oil was one of the most disturbing noises I've ever heard from a machine.

That sounds like the Enterprise's last deployment, when we came back into port, the vast majority of our poo poo was hilariously broken, jokes on them though, they had to fix it all before they turned it over.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My experience in the reserves for these first three months has been so laughable.

I rescheduled my July and August drill weekends in order to come in this week to:
- Primarily: Correct the myriad IT related issues I've been having with NMCI, DTS, NROWS, etc... while the support is still there (weekdays)
- Do a billet search and application
- Search and schedule AT

As of today, Thursday, none of this has been accomplished as I was informed Monday morning that my NMCI account had mysteriously disappeared... entirely. The re-creation and activation still hasn't been done and I've literally just been surfing the forums and doing all the NKOs required for the year.

It's basically everything is hard because nothing works, no one really wants to help or cares, and everything external is done on the "when I feel like it" schedule. If I was still on staff I would have called someone and yelled at and this would have been taken care of by Tuesday afternoon, but since I'm just a dirty reservist it'll have no impact or probably hurt.

FFS

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sounds about right.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If things were done in a timely manner in the reserves no one would have anything left to do.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

11 months until the nightmare ends and SELRES begins. You make it sound so appealing.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The closer I approach my eaos, the more time slows down.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gray Matter posted:

11 months until the nightmare ends and SELRES begins. You make it sound so appealing.

I mean, cheap as dirt healthcare/dental that is pretty good, monthly checks for barely any work, periodic full paychecks for AT or ADT, and the option to do next to nothing and retire with some pretty great benefits.

But goddamn is majority of the time worthlessly spent.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Boon posted:

I mean, cheap as dirt healthcare/dental that is pretty good, monthly checks for barely any work, periodic full paychecks for AT or ADT, and the option to do next to nothing and retire with some pretty great benefits.

If you're in a position to do so, reschedule all your drills to do back-to-back AT/IDTT. You get to spend a month somewhere doing useful things for your gaining command (and earning per diem the whole time), and you don't have to go to the NOSC for any reason.

You get to do the required NKO courses at home for points, too. You just need to save two or four drill periods: two PFAs a year, and two advancement exams (if that applies).

I did this as a 2nd class for about three years, and it was awesome. Then I made 1st, and I'm expected to have "leadership" and "mentoring" with the unit. So one weekend a month and two weeks a year it is....

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Navy Thread: goddamn is majority of the time worthlessly spent

How are PFAs handled in the reserves, same biannual cycles as AD?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
All these posts about the reserves make me question why one would ever inflict that on themselves.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

All these posts about the reserves make me question why one would ever inflict that on themselves.

Cheap healthcare I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have three kids myself and my boo has four I need healthcare yo because they all have fetal alcohol syndrome, autism, and other debilitating diseases

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Yeah, I've purposely selected units that have an actual mission but it's not easy to find them. And it makes it extra frustrating when the NOSC makes you come in for stupid admin bullshit when you've actually got real work to do for real active Navy units.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I've purposely selected units that have an actual mission but it's not easy to find them. And it makes it extra frustrating when the NOSC makes you come in for stupid admin bullshit when you've actually got real work to do for real active Navy units.

From what I've read it looks like there are actual reserve units that support LCS. It would be nice to get to do things on Navy time that directly relate to my big boy job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

From what I've read it looks like there are actual reserve units that support LCS. It would be nice to get to do things on Navy time that directly relate to my big boy job.

There are. Unfortunately, the billets I see most often that I would fill are ESG staff, numbered fleet staff, or Korea Det and those are all worthless positions.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hobolicious posted:

Sorry for going back a few days, but it's more nuanced then leak=fix on stuff in the plant, especially AC's and especially on a deployment.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
Speaking of the reserves, can anyone explain to me what an engineering duty officer does? I'm going through the process to direct commission and I've read the literature they've given me on the subject but I'm still a little unclear. Does it depend entirely on what your local NOSC "handles"? Do all NOSCs handle the same things or are some dedicated to servicing some specific parts of the Navy? Not sure of the terminology to use here. I was also told that you can choose the projects you want to work on?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

IratelyBlank posted:

Speaking of the reserves, can anyone explain to me what an engineering duty officer does? I'm going through the process to direct commission and I've read the literature they've given me on the subject but I'm still a little unclear. Does it depend entirely on what your local NOSC "handles"? Do all NOSCs handle the same things or are some dedicated to servicing some specific parts of the Navy? Not sure of the terminology to use here. I was also told that you can choose the projects you want to work on?

I have literally no idea what an EDO in the reserves does, but all NOSCs handle the same thing in one sense (medical, GMT, PFA) but in another sense each reserve activity has a certain set of units geographically. Like, NOSC Bumblefuck could have a Seabee unit, a Korea det, and an Intelligence unit whereas NOSC Cootermunch has an ESG staff unit, an engineer unit, and a Transcom unit. And if you live near Cootermunch and are a Seabee, you get to either a) travel at your own expense b) do something that has nothing do do with your rate, or c) deal with cross assigned bullshit and sometimes travel at the Navy's expense and mostly do something that has nothing to do with your rate and also get your admin all hosed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Goddamn I'm getting pissed at all of the bullshit around the Russian jets buzzing the Cook. So much "Ugh we should have blown them up herp" with a side of "This administration has made our Navy weak!".

When it comes from civilians it's whatever, they don't understand watch standing in theatre or ROE, and they're pelted with jingoism everywhere. Fine.

It's the veterans or other guys currently serving. Like gently caress off, they should know better.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya we should have totally shot down those unarmed airplanes who gave us a free airshow! rear end in a top hat COMMIE RUSSIAN BASTARDS!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Goddamn I'm getting pissed at all of the bullshit around the Russian jets buzzing the Cook. So much "Ugh we should have blown them up herp" with a side of "This administration has made our Navy weak!".

When it comes from civilians it's whatever, they don't understand watch standing in theatre or ROE, and they're pelted with jingoism everywhere. Fine.

It's the veterans or other guys currently serving. Like gently caress off, they should know better.

I personally am thrilled that I wasn't on watch when that happened. Can you imagine that loving nightmare?

MAKE SURE WE MAINTAIN RADAR CONTACTS SO WE CAN EVALUATE FOR TRAINING!!!!

Fake edit: I know it would be more dramatic than that but 1. I'm drunk on a business meeting and 2. I don't want to spill into OPSEC.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 15, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If the Russian birds used any of their attack radars or ECM it would have been great stuff for us.

ANNOTATE THE TAPE!!!

ded fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Kerry: Shooting down Russia jets 'would have been justified'

quote:

"It is reckless. It is provocative. It is dangerous. And under the rules of engagement, that could have been a shoot-down."
He added that the US "is not going to be intimidated on the high seas" and that a message had been conveyed to Russia over the danger of such a gesture.

:q:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

If they publish permissive ROE against Russia then I'm heading back to a cruiser ASAP.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think we should let foreign policy be driven by letting pilots do increasingly stupid and dangerous poo poo attempting to out Danger Zone other nations pilots. Strong first move, Russia

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Seriously though, the idea of getting on a NIFCCA boat and putting an SM-6 up the trail pipe of a MiG is giving me a raging SWOner right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

If they publish permissive ROE against Russia then I'm heading back to a cruiser ASAP.

yikes

• Locked thread