Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly, rather than beating my head against Tokyo, what I've been doing is going back and running Transylvania. Not for a new build - there's probably nothing especially wrong with a build that works in Transylvania - but because a) the quality of your gear still matters a lot (you're only applying a percentage of your damage to AEGIS shields, but increasing your damage still helps), and so piling up black bullion for upgrades is useful, and b) farming skill points means you can sink them into AEGIS skills, particularly the offensive one that gives you flat +% damage conversion. Capacitors are probably more helpful than that overall, but I couldn't find any rank 0 capacitors on the auction house and SP can be earned outside of Tokyo, unlike capacitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
That mod helps a ton. Thanks!

Just getting back into this after, like, two years and am having fun again. I'm having the same troubles in Tokyo, though, so I guess I'll soldier on as best as possible. Then again, I still can't beat the Gatekeeper so I could just be a scrub.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

General Maximus posted:

Also, install this mod: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?80429-MOD-ElTorqiro_AegisHUD
It does a few things with the UI but mostly you want it for the auto swap function, so you don't have to manually swap controllers every time. Which helps so much, especially on mobs with multiple shields. If you don't like that one for whatever reason there's a few other mods around that do the auto swap. Don't install more than one of them though cause the game flips out if two things try to change aegis stuff at the same time.

As for your build, what's in your current build? Depending on what it is you might not need a whole new one. And it got you through transylvania so it can't be completely terrible.
Tower Defence is one of the missions I managed to complete so I've got the second set of controllers and I've been and upgraded one of them to 1.1 at the guy. I'll try that mod when I'm on later, thanks. My build is shotgun/hammer, it lacks any self-healing apart from turn the tables though, which is what I think is holding me back.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Gatekeeper can be extremely frustrating depending on the mode you do it in and the quality of your gear. gently caress it, it's frustrating in every mode but it teaches you to dungeon so it's not entirely bad.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah. I mean, I'm a mythic raider in WoW, so I'm not too worried about mechanics, but it doesn't seem my DPS is doing enough to get him through that first phase. Running sword/blood with a couple pieces of 10.1, but whatever. I mostly want it so I can do these stupid Nightmare dailies.

On the plus side, I just finished the first story questline in Tokyo and got to meet a sleazy demon, so at least TSW is still top-notch fun for the single-player experience.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
What is a good build these days? I have some Pistol/Elementalism thing left over from when I last played years ago but I have no idea what's current and it seems hard to find advice for players just starting out (I'm still only on the New England island). Is there a go-to build, especially when I don't have access to most of the wheel yet?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 14, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm playing an ancient blade/chaos build that seems to do pretty well and as I recall wasn't too hard to fill out. I don't think there has been anything in terms of new skills in ages so whatever worked back when the game went buy to play will probably still work. Maybe you'll want a different aux weapon but those all have fairly cut and dry uses.

One thing that doesn't work in Tokyo is leech healing though so that's something to watch out for.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morglon posted:

I'm playing an ancient blade/chaos build that seems to do pretty well and as I recall wasn't too hard to fill out. I don't think there has been anything in terms of new skills in ages so whatever worked back when the game went buy to play will probably still work. Maybe you'll want a different aux weapon but those all have fairly cut and dry uses.

One thing that doesn't work in Tokyo is leech healing though so that's something to watch out for.

The only thing with older builds you have to watch out for is the fact they retooled a bunch of them a few patches ago in an attempt to get rid of the many redundant skills. So you might have to double check that they do the things they're supposed to now.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Pilchenstein posted:

Tower Defence is one of the missions I managed to complete so I've got the second set of controllers and I've been and upgraded one of them to 1.1 at the guy. I'll try that mod when I'm on later, thanks. My build is shotgun/hammer, it lacks any self-healing apart from turn the tables though, which is what I think is holding me back.

Here's a build that should do reasonably well in Tokyo if you have anything resembling half decent gear. It's mostly shotgun/hammer with some passives from blade, blood and fist that should be reasonably easy to get if you don't already have them unlocked. Just go run some stuff in transylvania or one of the older issue arcs if you have those - also get the 10.1 gear from those if you haven't already, it's good to have. Run with one healing talisman and one or two health talismans and the rest in attack, glyphs in hit, penetrate and block. If you can find them on the auction house get a couple of aegis modules that do damage on weaken, that'll proc off 12 gouge which in turn procs off penetrates so any time you penetrate you'll do a pile of extra damage to shields, which helps a lot in taking them down faster. You're right in that you do need more self healing in tokyo than anywhere else, mostly because pretty much everything does higher than usual damage and has ground aoes to interrupt or dodge out of - use Kickback and Death From Above to dodge away or hit Unstoppable Force and laugh at their attempts to damage you for a short while.

WEAPONS: shotgun/hammer (887 AP)
ACTIVES
1. Scattershot (Shotgun->Securing the Perimetre, 9 AP)
2. Molten Steel (Hammer->Industrial Action, 16 AP)
3. Riot Act (Shotgun->Crackdown, 16 AP)
4. Stone's Throw (Hammer->Battering Works, 21 AP)
5. Kickback (Shotgun->Restricted Access, 12 AP)
6. Turn the Tables (Green->Survivalism, 16 AP)
7. Unstoppable Force (Elite, Hammer->Sledge Factory, 50 AP)
8. Death From Above (Auxiliary->Rocket Launcher, 50 AP)

PASSIVES
1. Immortal Spirit (Blade->Technique, 1 AP)
2. Iron Maiden (Blood->Malediction, 12 AP)
3. 12 Gouge (Shotgun->Crackdown, 12 AP)
4. Body Piercing (Shotgun->Close Encounters, 21 AP)
5. Dark Potency (Blood->Profane, 2 AP)
6. Bloodsport (Fist->The Outback, 16 AP)
7. Cool, Calm & Collected (Elite, Hammer->Grit, 7 AP)
8. Rocket Science (Auxiliary->Rocket Launcher, 50 AP)

Morglon posted:

It actually does work now! As of a hotfix near the end of February you can leech off aegis mobs if your controller matches the shield. It's based off the damage before aegis is applied so in theory you should get the same heal you would if you were hitting an unshielded mob.

From the official patch notes:

quote:

We have updated the way leeching works in regards to AEGIS. Whenever you attack an enemy with a non-matching AEGIS damage type, you will receive no leeching as before. If you now attack an enemy with a matching AEGIS damage type, you will receive leeching benefits. The amount leeched is based on the damage dealt before any AEGIS calculations are done. In practice, it should be just as if you were hitting an enemy who did not have an AEGIS shield. The purpose of this change is to allow more varied build options when soloing in Kaidan and to make leech healing a viable option in Kaidan dungeon content.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

General Maximus posted:

Here's a build that should do reasonably well in Tokyo if you have anything resembling half decent gear.
Cheers mate, I'll give that a shot if I make it out of this loving carpark mission without self-harming. Those spooky loving kids are super annoying bullshit once you have two at once to deal with.

Edit: gently caress me that was aggravating. Didn't help that at one point when they killed me the death ui didn't show up and I had to alt-f4 and start the entire mission over. :suicide:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 14, 2016

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

General Maximus posted:

It actually does work now! As of a hotfix near the end of February you can leech off aegis mobs if your controller matches the shield. It's based off the damage before aegis is applied so in theory you should get the same heal you would if you were hitting an unshielded mob.

Oh! Oh, this kind of makes me want to get the band back together for a few runs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Man, that's a huge change and fixes one of the main the main complaints I had since not being able to leech heal myself made everything feel like a slog.

Guess I'm updating when I get home from work :toot:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm doing so much better with that build you suggested, some levelled up aegis gear and the auto-switch mod - thanks for all the help. Also, the Fear Nothing Foundation almost made me forgive Tokyo its sins, it's one of the most atmospheric parts of the game.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Cheers mate, I'll give that a shot if I make it out of this loving carpark mission without self-harming. Those spooky loving kids are super annoying bullshit once you have two at once to deal with.

Edit: gently caress me that was aggravating. Didn't help that at one point when they killed me the death ui didn't show up and I had to alt-f4 and start the entire mission over. :suicide:

Pretty much everyone hates that mission, and getting better gear doesn't make it any less painful unfortunately. Getting a team to do it with however, makes it super easy.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

General Maximus posted:

Pretty much everyone hates that mission, and getting better gear doesn't make it any less painful unfortunately. Getting a team to do it with however, makes it super easy.

That mission is AWESOME... Its spooky and creepy. Once you figure out the trick it gets pretty easy

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I got quite annoyed with it just because the mechanic seemed pretty buggy and would kill me a lot even when looking at them.

Leeching actually working in Tokyo now might make me reinstall.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Zephro posted:

What is a good build these days? I have some Pistol/Elementalism thing left over from when I last played years ago but I have no idea what's current and it seems hard to find advice for players just starting out (I'm still only on the New England island). Is there a go-to build, especially when I don't have access to most of the wheel yet?

A lot of builds will work in the Solomon Island zones once you've got a feel for things again, but if you really want to mow things down, start with an all inner wheel Blade build and go from there (drop Delicate Precision for Fist's 1-pt Lick Your Wounds). Blade also has lots of nice outer wheel abilities. Inner wheel Chaos can add some magic AoE to Blade's physical AoE (some targets go down easier to magic damage), plus finishing that gives you access to the lovely 9-pt Breakdown. Finishing inner wheel Fist opens up access to the outer wheel tree with Bloodsport and Salt in the Wound, which is a great passive combo to add to an AoE build.

e: Just be sure to have a finisher for both weapons.

If you want something specific, here's a Chaos/Shotgun build I used before they made Solomon Island easier:

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm having good luck in Kingsmouth with a Chaos/Shotgun deck that takes a total of 53 points to put together.

1 point each in blades and fists for the healing passives.
13 points in shotgun, up to buckshot and breaching shot.
38 points to max both starter chaos trees.

Passives: Lick your wounds, Immortal Spirit, Hit & run, Dead on target, Chaos adept, Intensity, Probability

Actives: Buckshot, Escalation, Schism, Out for a kill, Illusion, Breaching shot, Domino effect

Use escalation to build shotgun resources on multiple enemies at once, then watch them all get mowed down by a hit & run chain reaction once you kill the first one.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 15, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
If I'm seeing a lot of glances, I want more hit, right? Penetration counters block, not glances?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hello Sailor posted:

A lot of builds will work in the Solomon Island zones once you've got a feel for things again, but if you really want to mow things down, start with an all inner wheel Blade build and go from there (drop Delicate Precision for Fist's 1-pt Lick Your Wounds). Blade also has lots of nice outer wheel abilities. Inner wheel Chaos can add some magic AoE to Blade's physical AoE (some targets go down easier to magic damage), plus finishing that gives you access to the lovely 9-pt Breakdown. Finishing inner wheel Fist opens up access to the outer wheel tree with Bloodsport and Salt in the Wound, which is a great passive combo to add to an AoE build.

e: Just be sure to have a finisher for both weapons.

If you want something specific, here's a Chaos/Shotgun build I used before they made Solomon Island easier:
Awesome, thanks so much for this. I have most of Blade already so it shouldn't take too long to switch over.

edit: If I'm going to switch, is there a good place to pick up weapons? I think I'm using Pistols/Elemental because I have QL3 weapons for both just from random mob drops. Can I buy a QL3 shotgun or blade or whatever anywhere? Maybe my faction HQ? (Sorry, I'd check in-game but I'm at work atm).

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Just get a toolkit and craft something, if you don't have any post your character name and i'll mail you some when I get the chance.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Do you get a bunch of rewards for finishing everything in the tokyo sidestories packs like you do for the investigations one? Or can I just gently caress this bank heist off entirely?

While I'm on the subject, is there a single sabotage mission in this game that isn't a total arseache and/or janky as gently caress? I don't know why they keep making them. :v:

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Pilchenstein posted:

If I'm seeing a lot of glances, I want more hit, right? Penetration counters block, not glances?

Yes. My numbers are from where 10.5 was cap, but you want: ~650 hit, ~900 pene, ~300 crit, rest CDR.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Pilchenstein posted:

Do you get a bunch of rewards for finishing everything in the tokyo sidestories packs like you do for the investigations one? Or can I just gently caress this bank heist off entirely?

While I'm on the subject, is there a single sabotage mission in this game that isn't a total arseache and/or janky as gently caress? I don't know why they keep making them. :v:

Hey, I liked the bank heist. In theory. Yeah sabotage missions can be a bit frustrating but they're at least interesting. Also yes you get a special reward if you do all the side story missions.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

General Maximus posted:

That actually makes me less antsy about when I eventually work my way to Tokyo. Of course I still need to eventually work my way out of Kingsmouth, but drat it's just too much fun running around killing zombies.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006

Morglon posted:

Hey, I liked the bank heist. In theory. Yeah sabotage missions can be a bit frustrating but they're at least interesting. Also yes you get a special reward if you do all the side story missions.

After issue 14 I think there's a new contender for the most annoying mission in the game. Used to be the bank heist, but you know what's better than having to be super sneaky? Being super sneaky while solving investigation mission puzzles. Seriously, the second to last mission of issue 14 is investigation and sabotage mashed together and it's hell.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

revenance posted:

Yes. My numbers are from where 10.5 was cap, but you want: ~650 hit, ~900 pene, ~300 crit, rest CDR.
I think I've got like, 300 and something hit. I'm guessing you get the gear for that from dungeons? I've mostly just soloed my way through the game.

I'm really liking Tokyo, initial slog and bank heist aside. The atmosphere is fantastic.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Unless you're doing nightmare poo poo don't worry too much about it. Best way to gear the way you want is buy and upgrade custom poo poo, dungeon gear often has fixed stats that you might not want.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot to caveat that those stats are to run NMs. That said, you can get there anyway just from regular questing since you get BBs now, right?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

revenance posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to caveat that those stats are to run NMs. That said, you can get there anyway just from regular questing since you get BBs now, right?
Yeah, you get BB for just about everything you do now, it's great.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Word of warning though once you get over ten poo poo gets really expensive to repair so do sabotage missions naked and otherwise be careful about just running past poo poo.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So my infectious enthusiasm convinced a couple of friends to buy the game and when they got to the first faction mission and I was explaining how to check out the rewards for each rank, I remembered "Vault Data Access Authorisation" - does that do anything yet or is it still soon™? :v:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Morglon posted:

Just get a toolkit and craft something, if you don't have any post your character name and i'll mail you some when I get the chance.
Awesome, thanks. Char names is "Pessimism". Using blades and chaos atm if that helps but I'm not picky!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Alright, sent you some weapon toolkits and base materials, go nuts.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Morglon posted:

Alright, sent you some weapon toolkits and base materials, go nuts.
Awesome, thanks so much.

One other question - how does DLC/issues work with this? There's a Steam sale on at the moment but they only list 6 pieces of DLC, starting with Issue 9. Were the other 8 issues pre-baked into the game when they dropped the monthly sub? I've already done some of the Issue 1 missions in Kingsmouth without ever having bought it. Basically, what do I need to spend money on if I want to be up to date?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

Base game has #1-4
Massive edition has #1-7
Ultimate has #1-11

Wait long enough and they'll have a bundle for the newer content, but if you want to get it all now, get Ultimate + #12-14.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pilchenstein posted:

I forget if that mission with/near the mortar or whatever in Egypt is a sabotage mission. But if so it's pretty swanky.

Any time there's a huge number of people doing old content the place becomes a war zone with mortar shells dropping everywhere, bee's blasting cultists with rifles as they rush the bridge, and sword/kung fu fighting everywhere as both sides square off at the far end.

The reason I assume it's a sabotage mission is because the mobs in the area past that will gently caress you up if you don't have a good build and don't try to solo them when you're equal in power to the area. Also I remember there being cameras or something everywhere.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 19, 2016

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

So I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I can't seem to clear the solo starter scenario for The Venetian Agenda. My normal AR\Elementalism build has survivability problems, and when I switched to a Chaos\Shotgun build I didn't have the DPS to clear the waves in time.

My gear is mostly blue 10s with a few 10.2 nightmare purples. Is this just a matter of gearing up or should I be trying something significantly different? I'm pretty fleshed out on AR, pistol, shotgun, chaos, blood, and elementalism, with a tiny bit of fist and basically nothing in sword & hammer.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I just bought the tokyo exemption thing for 1 black bullion and never set foot in a scenario. The general consensus around here when issue 8 came out was that they're pan-fried wank, I dunno if they've improved any.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
See the thing with those is that while enemies will scale down to a manageable level when solo their numbers will not and essentially you're getting punished for not being able to be in two or three places at once. Get the exemption and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Scenario success is very build dependent. I use Blade/AR for them, and have multiple builds that I switch between depending on what kind of enemies I'm fighting. Unfortunately, they aren't a type of content you can take your standard dungeon DPS build into. They really are just another piece of content you have to engineer an entire setup to do, especially nightmare scenarios.

For NM scens, you'll want to invest a lot of BB and MoPs into a setup that is high on AOE DPS, leeching, and is very mobile. Considering the weekly MoP cap, that understandably turns a lot of people off.

That said, there are a few really good reasons to get into scenarios. Once you get a build sorted out (feel free to send me a /tell in-game as Dresner) and you gear up to snuff, they are a good source of runes, MoPs, and augments (including gold augs). However, I consider them a very, very late-game piece of content. There are much better ways to accumulate BB and signets.

• Locked thread