Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The tackle in question for anyone who didn't see it. Looks pretty bad and Nagbe had to be wheel chaired out off the field at the end of the game.

https://streamable.com/mlpx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

threeagainstfour posted:

The tackle in question for anyone who didn't see it. Looks pretty bad and Nagbe had to be wheel chaired out off the field at the end of the game.

https://streamable.com/mlpx

Nagbe cuts into a player he doesn't see, takes a bit of a knock and flops to embellish. Typical MLS yellow card

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Nagbe cuts into a player he doesn't see, takes a bit of a knock and flops to embellish. Typical MLS yellow card

Exactly, nothing in it, and Portland trying to sit on a 1-0 lead like always lol

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Yeah it was a red. So was Borchers' 2 tackles on Zardes in the first half. Both got yellows. The refereeing was horseshit all game. In an MLS game. By a FIFA referee who does CONCACAF games. News at 11.

This is what happens when the press, internet, and 'Ard Men whinge and moan about there being too many red cards issued and it's destroying the game. The refs get more conservative and we're back to where we need to be giving out more reds.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Let the players carry guns. This is america goddammit.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah it was a red. So was Borchers' 2 tackles on Zardes in the first half. Both got yellows. The refereeing was horseshit all game. In an MLS game. By a FIFA referee who does CONCACAF games. News at 11.

This is what happens when the press, internet, and 'Ard Men whinge and moan about there being too many red cards issued and it's destroying the game. The refs get more conservative and we're back to where we need to be giving out more reds.

I didn't get a good look at Borchers' tackles, maybe because they weren't replayed everywhere like NDJ's, but I don't remember either being red worthy. I'd like to see them both again before saying either way. Two yellows I wouldn't have argued with, even with shoddy, rose tinted memory.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

MoPZiG posted:

Let the players carry guns. This is america goddammit.

We got rid of the Forbidden Gun Circle after Miami folded

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah it was a red. So was Borchers' 2 tackles on Zardes in the first half.
The first was MAYBE worth of a red card (though he definitely got the ball first) and the second it was incredibly clear after replay that he never touched Zardes.

The match last night was unnecessarily physical due to the ref not having control of the game, likely because the players have no idea what his calls are based on. Incredibly unsurprising for the MLS, it's just unfortunate that Nagbe has finally gotten caught up in it. I'm hoping and praying he won't be out long.

The beginning of every MLS season is the worst because nobody can ever tell who's actually good. Hint: it's not Philadelphia.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Welcome to GBS posted:

The first was MAYBE worth of a red card (though he definitely got the ball first) and the second it was incredibly clear after replay that he never touched Zardes.

I mean I guess if by not touching him you mean missing the ball entirely and kicking him in the ankles, then yeah, he didn't touch him. But he tackled him from behind, as Zardes was in on goal with just the keeper in front of him, with no contact on the ball. You could either get Borchers for DOGSO for the tackle when he was the last man, or you could get him for the tackle from behind.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I mean I guess if by not touching him you mean missing the ball entirely and kicking him in the ankles, then yeah, he didn't touch him. But he tackled him from behind, as Zardes was in on goal with just the keeper in front of him, with no contact on the ball. You could either get Borchers for DOGSO for the tackle when he was the last man, or you could get him for the tackle from behind.

You're talking about the one right at the top of the box, right? I implore you to find me a replay angle that shows me anything besides Zardes tripping on grass.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Welcome to GBS posted:

The beginning of every MLS season is the worst because nobody can ever tell who's actually good. Hint: it's not Philadelphia.

I'm reasonably certain it's not Seattle, either.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

MechaFrogzilla posted:

I'm reasonably certain it's not Seattle, either.

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/720380831831691265

$50 to the Melting Pot? oh my god you cheap zeroes

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hoover Dam posted:

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/720380831831691265

$50 to the Melting Pot? oh my god you cheap zeroes

$50 will at least will buy dinner.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SeaTard posted:

$50 will at least will buy dinner.

No it won't. Last time I went to Melting Pot and got a simple meal, dessert and drinks it cost about ~90 after tip

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No it won't. Last time I went to Melting Pot and got a simple meal, dessert and drinks it cost about ~90 after tip

Same, and on the drive home I kept thinking how many restaurants in the city that amount would've bought better meals from real chefs and not Sysco's Best

(It was a going away party for a friend of a friend and not remotely my pick. How bad could it be, I thought)

Also there is soccer tonight

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Typically our players just go to restaurants here and offer to tweet about it, getting free poo poo. It's tremendously annoying

if understandable.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Hoover Dam posted:

Same, and on the drive home I kept thinking how many restaurants in the city that amount would've bought better meals from real chefs and not Sysco's Best

No no no, you don't go there for a meal. You get the melty cheese and the dessert and call it a night. Then you spend the next week trying to get the smell out of your clothes.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC stadium update: Shovels in the ground.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

DC team update: still poop

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/720695701722652673
https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/720703979869442049
https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/720704236485390336

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress off, we're full

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
gently caress Garber, gently caress MLS, gently caress all its NFL owners

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Garber also said Americans are "too loving retarded" to understand or accept pro/rel

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I hope we get more teams playing in MLB stadiums. gently caress it, go KC Wiz/SJ Earthquakes style and play in minor league baseball or college soccer stadiums.

Let them play!

Oh, also, replace Don Garber with Jurgen Klinsmann please.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Surprised to see Detroit on the list of potential expansion. Also, Austin is on the short list :woop:

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
build the expansion wall

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
This league is going to be so much worse when there's 28 loving teams.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I warned you all about this

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

African AIDS cum posted:

So what you're saying is this will never happen as advertised?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Um but actually 28 teams is real good, in fact there should be 32 if not more teams, because the country is big and other leagues have lots of teams too

- actual people

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Talk about dilution of talent or whatever, but more teams in the Midwest would be a cool and good thing.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

President Trump is gonna ban soccer anyway so don't worry about it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

Surprised to see Detroit on the list of potential expansion. Also, Austin is on the short list :woop:
Austin? Good to see we'll probably end up with a fanbase to rival Portland in the "we need to be weird just to say we're weird" competition.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The quality of the league has already stalled out over the last few years, this is going to make it even worse. I like the idea of more teams, but it should be when there's the requisite talent for it.

African AIDS cum posted:

Prescient

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

The quality of the league has already stalled out over the last few years, this is going to make it even worse. I like the idea of more teams, but it should be when there's the requisite talent for it.
Of course the quality of a league is going to stall when you add teams. That's not why you add teams. The major U.S. sports leagues have gone through that exact issue every time they expanded. The NCAA was faced with the same argument when it expanded the Men's Basketball Tournament to 64 teams. The reason you add teams is that it's a gamble where you're betting that more teams in more markets will lift viewership figures and general interest, with a payoff in terms of money and quality down the line.

Which would be fine, if not for the fact that the league tries to make it as hard as humanly possible to buy merchandise for its teams in brick-and-mortar stores. Or acts as if it's a lifestyle brand like Apple or Abercrombie & Fitch or something.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Crazy Ted posted:

Of course the quality of a league is going to stall when you add teams. That's not why you add teams. The major U.S. sports leagues have gone through that exact issue every time they expanded. The NCAA was faced with the same argument when it expanded the Men's Basketball Tournament to 64 teams. The reason you add teams is that it's a gamble where you're betting that more teams in more markets will lift viewership figures and general interest, with a payoff in terms of money and quality down the line.

Call it a difference in philosophy, but I think quality is ultimately what is going to drive interest and viewership. It's hard to sell your product when what you're selling is visibly worse than every other option on the market (be it American sports, or foreign leagues that get major broadcasting here), there's little actual historical attachment to the sport locally, and your hope rests on a demographic with ties to the league next door that - despite seemingly constant dysfunction - is still better than yours. Garber's been great for building MLS up as a brand in the minds of wealthy investors, but he's done a really poor job building a league that is vaguely interesting.

As much as it pains me to say it, please respond has been right in almost everything. The league probably never should have expanded to 20 teams, and it shouldn't keep expanding until it provides something other than pure mediocrity. It's hard to even watch anymore, when half the league still can't trap a pass 4-5 years onward and the biggest draw is over the hill foreigners. You can make comparisons to other US sports, but no sport in the US is as global a game or has as fierce competition in terms of quality.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

Call it a difference in philosophy, but I think quality is ultimately what is going to drive interest and viewership. It's hard to sell your product when what you're selling is visibly worse than every other option on the market (be it American sports, or foreign leagues that get major broadcasting here), there's little actual historical attachment to the sport locally, and your hope rests on a demographic with ties to the league next door that - despite seemingly constant dysfunction - is still better than yours. Garber's been great for building MLS up as a brand in the minds of wealthy investors, but he's done a really poor job building a league that is vaguely interesting.
I didn't say expanding - at least the way the league is doing it - was the right decision though. The big problem the league has with this newest round of expansion is that it seems to be throwing darts at a board and favoring cities based on that.

Detroit, which didn't even have a D4 team a few years ago? Atlanta, where even the NFL struggles for ticket sales? Austin, which has burned through two D3 teams because just getting the city to agree to decent terms on a venue lease is an incredible pain in the rear end? San Diego, which may or may not have a great market but there's no way to know because they haven't had a team above amateur level since the 90's? Orlando claiming that they can prevent the Tampa Bay Rowdies from moving up from the NASL?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are NASL/USL tier teams getting on par with the mid-table-below MLS teams at this point?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Are NASL/USL tier teams getting on par with the mid-table-below MLS teams at this point?
No. Maybe the Cosmos now that they have Juan Arango and Niko Kranjcar, but there's a reason why many of Minnesota United's signings during the winter were MLS castoffs. D2/D3 level is a lot better than it was five years ago, where teams would just trade minor-league lifers back and forth and contracts were for only 6-7 months out of the year. However, I wouldn't say it's close to MLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
the good news is that if your metro area shows it can prop up an incredibly poo poo division seven team by filling a high school stadium with a couple hundred on the spectrum fans than chances are high a wealthy investor will be stupid enough to get conned into paying mls expansion fees so taylor twellman can discuss how the new slate of awful players are getting concussions on a rented football field in front of a teeming crowd of 14,000 idiots.

• Locked thread