Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I remember playing a game when I was a kid that looked like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKUupJY3ko

Thing is I'm absolutely certain I've never played Solstice. Were there any other NES games that looked like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Immortal was on the NES and was isometric. Not super similar in gameplay, but maybe?

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Airball and The Immortal were both on NES and looked kinda like that. Equinox on SNES, Landstalker on Genesis, and Altered Space on the Gameboy were also similar.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I remember playing some kind of sci-fi/space game for pc that seemed mostly about trading and commodities. Occasionally there would be random events and it was mostly text based but apart from that I can't remember much else about the gameplay. There was a bunch of wacky pixel art along with it, a lot of funky neon aliens and such. If I had to guess it would have been made in the late 90s?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

I remember playing some kind of sci-fi/space game for pc that seemed mostly about trading and commodities. Occasionally there would be random events and it was mostly text based but apart from that I can't remember much else about the gameplay. There was a bunch of wacky pixel art along with it, a lot of funky neon aliens and such. If I had to guess it would have been made in the late 90s?

Jeeze, this could be anything. It's 1985 so way out of your date range but I immediately thought of Psi-5 Trading Company.

Skunkrocker posted:

Thing is I'm absolutely certain I've never played Solstice. Were there any other NES games that looked like this?

Could be Bill & Ted, Last Ninja 2, maaaybe Zen Intergalactic Ninja, but probably the NES version of Knight Lore.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Odobenidae posted:

Gazillionaire?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jia posted:

Gazillionaire?

Bingo, I said pixel art but my memory failed me there. That was quick, thanks!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Zaodai posted:

The Immortal was on the NES and was isometric. Not super similar in gameplay, but maybe?

Sesquiculus posted:

Airball and The Immortal were both on NES and looked kinda like that. Equinox on SNES, Landstalker on Genesis, and Altered Space on the Gameboy were also similar.

al-azad posted:

Could be Bill & Ted, Last Ninja 2, maaaybe Zen Intergalactic Ninja, but probably the NES version of Knight Lore.

No, it wasn't any of these. What's messing me up is when I say it looked like Solstice I mean Solstice is what triggered the memory because it seems identical to the game I'm thinking of. I just don't ever remember playing Solstice, I don't remember the box art or anything. It's like when people in this thread mentioned they've seen a game like Shadowgate but it wasn't Shadowgate, and they mean Uninvited or Deja Vu, different games made with the same engine. But I'm guessing I must have just played Solstice and not realized it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Skunkrocker posted:

not an adventure kinda thing, but marble madness

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Odobenidae posted:

Bingo, I said pixel art but my memory failed me there. That was quick, thanks!

In the 90s pixel art was just called art :heysexy:

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Skunkrocker posted:

Different games made with the same engine. But I'm guessing I must have just played Solstice and not realized it.

In the 8-bit computer world, as opposed to console, we had a run of games like this made in the UK on the same engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmation_(game_engine)

Could be a port of one of those, e.g. Knight Lore as suggested above.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Skunkrocker posted:

No, it wasn't any of these. What's messing me up is when I say it looked like Solstice I mean Solstice is what triggered the memory because it seems identical to the game I'm thinking of. I just don't ever remember playing Solstice, I don't remember the box art or anything. It's like when people in this thread mentioned they've seen a game like Shadowgate but it wasn't Shadowgate, and they mean Uninvited or Deja Vu, different games made with the same engine. But I'm guessing I must have just played Solstice and not realized it.

Equinox on the SNES? It was the sequel to Solstice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Game for the Commodore 64. It had a first-person perspective but you could only pan the view left/right. You'd move from room to room kind of like in a standard adventure game (that is, each room was a "scene" with a single viewpoint, and there were different doors you could take in addition to exiting left/right). You started out with, like, a claw hand or something, but could get other weapons, which I think were guns. I remember fighting a guy who just strafewalked back and forth while staring at me. I might remember having to deal with radiation or air or something like that at some point.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

This was a game on one of those freeware/shareware CDs from the mid-late 90s. It was a spaced-based strategy game where you built up your planets/resources/ships and waged war, very basic graphics. The biggest thing I remember was you could upgrade your planets with shields, the strength of which were indicated by rings around the planets.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

But Not Tonight posted:

This was a game on one of those freeware/shareware CDs from the mid-late 90s. It was a spaced-based strategy game where you built up your planets/resources/ships and waged war, very basic graphics. The biggest thing I remember was you could upgrade your planets with shields, the strength of which were indicated by rings around the planets.
Sounds like Warpath.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

But Not Tonight posted:

These both sound like Fragile Allegiance.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

linear cell shaded gamecube shooter. mc has amnesia. my brain lost the name and replaced it with killer 7 but i know that's a much weirder game than the standard fps i'm thinking of.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Sounds like Warpath.

Shibawanko posted:

These both sound like Fragile Allegiance.

It is neither of those, unfortunately. Unless I'm mis-remembering, the interface was a lot simpler and less colorful than those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Real hurthling! posted:

linear cell shaded gamecube shooter. mc has amnesia. my brain lost the name and replaced it with killer 7 but i know that's a much weirder game than the standard fps i'm thinking of.

I believe you're thinking of XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTNUJH4EGc

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

But Not Tonight posted:

It is neither of those, unfortunately. Unless I'm mis-remembering, the interface was a lot simpler and less colorful than those.

Was it one of theSpace Empire games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yup thanks

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

cmndstab posted:

Was it one of theSpace Empire games?

No, those are a bit closer but not what I'm remembering. This seriously was a lovely little game included on one of those WOW! 1000 GAMES!! shareware CDs. I've been digging through abandonia.com and mobygames for the last hour or so to no avail, so I'd be surprised if anyone could come up with it with the meager description I provided. The graphics were REALLY basic, it may have even been in black and white.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

No, those are a bit closer but not what I'm remembering. This seriously was a lovely little game included on one of those WOW! 1000 GAMES!! shareware CDs. I've been digging through abandonia.com and mobygames for the last hour or so to no avail, so I'd be surprised if anyone could come up with it with the meager description I provided. The graphics were REALLY basic, it may have even been in black and white.

1994 version of Imperium Galactica?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

Does this look familiar? I had been looking for it in the past which is why I'm aware of its existence.

http://sharewarelair.tumblr.com/post/113315105795/game-1-crusade-in-space

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

No, but those look closer. Thanks for all the help but don't worry about hunting it down any more, I feel like I've used up plenty of goodwill here :v:

I guess I'll hunt for it more or maybe stumble across it myself. Or not, and go crazy/forget about it.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I have two games I would love to find again.

The first is browser/Flash game. It was a brickbreaker style game, where you controlled a demon to knock the ball around. I remember power-ups and that the ball couldn't fall out of the bottom of the screen. It may have had some chill music as well.

The second is a PC game from around 2000ish. I remember it as a turn-based game like Civilization, but it had a fantasy setting with undead, elves, etc as playable races. The map would have other neutral caves or monsters or things with good/bad events. I remember it being fairly difficult.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The second one is probably one of the Age of Wonders games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's also Master of Magic, though that's older.

e: and Lords of Magic

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Also Heroes of Might & Magic. HOMM3 came out around then and would fit the bill.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
All of those are good guesses, but they seem too sparkly and bright green, if that makes any sense.

It had a darker vibe, more Diablo2-esque. And the time period would have been more 2000-2003, rather than the 90's

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ohhyeah posted:

The second is a PC game from around 2000ish. I remember it as a turn-based game like Civilization, but it had a fantasy setting with undead, elves, etc as playable races. The map would have other neutral caves or monsters or things with good/bad events. I remember it being fairly difficult.

Hammer of the gods?

Edit: Ok, that's way older than 2000.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Disciples?

Edit: It's Disciples 2 that has an elves expansion, but I guess it could be either?

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 15, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

ohhyeah posted:

Sounds like Warlords 3: Reign of Heroes to me, but that was released in '98.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Armor-Piercing posted:

Disciples?

Edit: It's Disciples 2 that has an elves expansion, but I guess it could be either?

Yes! Thank you everyone. It was Disciples 2; I remembered "Legion of the Damned" and all the rest of the faction names.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

But Not Tonight posted:

It sounds like it could be Armada 2525

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sort of a reverse request: what is this game?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Tales of Eternia, apparently.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah it's absolutely Tales of Eternia/ Tales of Destiny 2

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm thinking of an isometric arcade beat-em-up. It is not Dungeon Magic. I think it was made by Capcom. One of the characters is a lizard-man. It's on a vertical screen, I think. The name escapes me.

Thanks in advance.

e: Never mind! It's Gaiapolis, from Konami. Sorry about that.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I was reading retro gamer and in it a guy can't remember the name of a game I'm struggling to remember too. It was a text adventure game that came out for Acorn computer so the 80's. Early on in the game you pick up a map and it said `you grow weaker` and killed you. I never got past that part and from the article I'm guessing he didn't either. It came out around the time the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy if that helps narrow it down.