Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MikusR posted:

The panel closes but the backup continues to run. You can verify using Resource monitor.

nope it does not I've tried several times and have never gotten a successful backup, desiginated folder is empty, designated folder on other PC is blank.

Edit:
Veem is refusing to install, AV turned off, run as admin.

Any other solutions, I didn't think doing a backup of my local docs would be such a pita.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
This is quite surprising, considering all the justification simple grayscale rendering got when RGB subpixel was stripped out (performance, doesn't work with rotated screens, doesn't work against coloured backgrounds, etc). Still good they're relenting on this for at least Edge though. While there are of course many issues with Edge, the lack of this was huge on my current display for text legibility.

Edit: Oh, "Cleartype" now means RGB subpixel rendering apparently - what it originally meant, until it was changed to reflect a characteristic of the Surface screen. :)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

loquacius posted:

More on this topic:

My reaction to this was to turn on Windows Defender instead until such time as Kaspersky works again, but I apparently can't turn on the Defender service while Kaspersky is running (or stop the service myself). I found the Protection setting toggle in Kaspersky and turned it off; this doesn't appear to have done anythig. Is there a way to just, y'know, turn Kaspersky off temporarily without uninstalling it outright?

To avoid conflicts, defender won't activate if it finds the program installed. You do sadly have to uninstall Kaspersky to get defender working.

If your work don't mind you can just remove Kaspersky. Defender is better than MSE was.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought ClearType was a system wide thing, why would Edge just disable it?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was under the impression it was more a windows-app thing (of which Edge is one).

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Modern/Store apps (and Office 365 - well parts of it at least) don't use RGB subpixel rendering cleartype. Edge is a modern app.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I did it! I installed Windows 10!

After getting almost everything up to date driver wise, I noticed that Windows Update thinks it needs to update drivers for my graphics card, sound card, printer, and a few other things. Regarding these things, WU says "We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you don't see the install window, minimize this window, or check the taskbar."

I'd rather not have stock Microsoft drivers, which are probably older than the drivers I've already installed, try to install over the new ones. Is there a way to tell Windows not to worry about this particular driver?

Thanks! Hopefully none, but probably 100 more questions to follow.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Node posted:

I did it! I installed Windows 10!

After getting almost everything up to date driver wise, I noticed that Windows Update thinks it needs to update drivers for my graphics card, sound card, printer, and a few other things. Regarding these things, WU says "We need to start a separate installation to complete this update. Select Install to start it. If you don't see the install window, minimize this window, or check the taskbar."

I'd rather not have stock Microsoft drivers, which are probably older than the drivers I've already installed, try to install over the new ones. Is there a way to tell Windows not to worry about this particular driver?

Thanks! Hopefully none, but probably 100 more questions to follow.

You should be able to check a box somewhere that says "ignore this update" but you can also make it go away by updating to the newest drivers yourself and rechecking.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eletriarnation posted:

You should be able to check a box somewhere that says "ignore this update" but you can also make it go away by updating to the newest drivers yourself and rechecking.

I don't see such an option - I also have updated to the newest drivers of these, and Windows 10 still wants me to install them.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Node posted:

I don't see such an option - I also have updated to the newest drivers of these, and Windows 10 still wants me to install them.

Oh. I'm sorry, that's really strange. What kind of graphics card, sound card, and printer are these?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh. I'm sorry, that's really strange. What kind of graphics card, sound card, and printer are these?

Here's a screenshot:

Clicking on details and following anything past that doesn't lead me to anything. I just want to tell Windows that it has been taken care of, you know? I don't know if clicking Install will have Windows realize "Oh, you've updated these, we cool" or if it'll try to install them anyway. I'd rather not risk it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, there was definitely an option to ignore updates in 7 - even driver updates, I remember because I had an onboard Realtek NIC that broke after a Windows Update driver installed and I had to revert it. Looks like they hid it in 10 though, I searched around and found this:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

It's a bit different since you disable all automatic driver updates instead of on a piecemeal basis but that doesn't seem like an issue really.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
What is SOP for doing updates with Windows 10? The process often gets stuck at 32% and I have to reset. I basically just unplug as much stuff as I can and cross my fingers. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, there was definitely an option to ignore updates in 7 - even driver updates, I remember because I had an onboard Realtek NIC that broke after a Windows Update driver installed and I had to revert it. Looks like they hid it in 10 though, I searched around and found this:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

It's a bit different since you disable all automatic driver updates instead of on a piecemeal basis but that doesn't seem like an issue really.

Yeah this doesn't work unfortunately. It might prevent future updates, but not ones it has already downloaded. I wish there was a way to clear WU's install queue or something.

edit: I uttered the ancient prayer of #420yoloswagblazeit and hit Install anyway, WU said there was an error and let me retry, when I hit Retry the updates vanished from the list. Looks like I have to give Windows 10 a bit of credit there.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 14, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

tater_salad posted:

nope it does not I've tried several times and have never gotten a successful backup, desiginated folder is empty, designated folder on other PC is blank.

Edit:
Veem is refusing to install, AV turned off, run as admin.

Any other solutions, I didn't think doing a backup of my local docs would be such a pita.

I haven't been able to get any of the Windows 10 backup options working properly. Not File History. Not Windows Backup. I just ended up running robocopy to a dated-based folder once a day on a NAS that automatically hardlinks twice per day to make it a "differential backup". I should probably get a proper backup solution going, but...eh.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I opened my laptop this morning to discover a window with a 15 minute countdown timer on it. I closed the window and went about my business until it force restarted and never gave me an option to back out until it had hijacked my computer for an hour to install Windows 10. It seems underhanded and kind of a dick move on Microsofts part but I have knuckled under and upgraded, despite the ambush the upgrade while poorly timed went smoothly and managed to keep all my installed programs installed and my logins still valid for websites and steam. I will probably do my other systems as well since this first one was so painless.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, ran into that when I sat down for lunch break at work. Really lovely thing to do to users. It was actually the final push I needed to just cancel the upgrade permanently.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Curse you Microsoft for smoothly upgrading my pc with no issues :argh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Modern/Store apps (and Office 365 - well parts of it at least) don't use RGB subpixel rendering cleartype. Edge is a modern app.
Edge embeds a Win32 HTML render control.

Also, I'm just trying to run Windows Update on a fresh Windows 10 installation, and it got stuck. Jesus loving Christ.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Skarsnik posted:

Well the only issue I had was losing access to the system for an hour at a time not of my choosing. Had I been doing anything critical or lost a paper or had an exam timeout I would have been pissed, imagine going to your prof begging for another chance to rewrite a quiz or exam because Windows hosed you over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Space Cadet posted:

Well the only issue I had was losing access to the system for an hour at a time not of my choosing. Had I been doing anything critical or lost a paper or had an exam timeout I would have been pissed, imagine going to your prof begging for another chance to rewrite a quiz or exam because Windows hosed you over.

That's bullshit. Save your work. The power can go out too. If you're in the middle of something, you can choose to postpone the update.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Skarsnik posted:

That's a deliberate mischaracterization, and you know it.

I'm choosing not to use an operating system that has embedded ads, that is being marketed and pushed in a tone-deaf and condescending manner, that has continual driver issues, that removes or breaks basic functionality, that runs poorly, that automatically breaks itself, that has formatting so poor it blocks its own text, and that has tried to take away my control over upgrading by starting an extremely short timer while my computer was locked. It's my hardware, not Microsoft's, and their continual and aggressive attempts to override or shout down user choice is a horrible business practice that directly caused my decision.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

An Angry Bug posted:

That's a deliberate mischaracterization, and you know it.

I'm choosing not to use an operating system that has embedded ads, that is being marketed and pushed in a tone-deaf and condescending manner, that has continual driver issues, that removes or breaks basic functionality, that runs poorly, that automatically breaks itself, that has formatting so poor it blocks its own text, and that has tried to take away my control over upgrading by starting an extremely short timer while my computer was locked. It's my hardware, not Microsoft's, and their continual and aggressive attempts to override or shout down user choice is a horrible business practice that directly caused my decision.

So why aren't you choosing to use Windows 10? You went and posted a rant against ChromeOS.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

GreenNight posted:

That's bullshit. Save your work. The power can go out too. If you're in the middle of something, you can choose to postpone the update.

A power outage is not equivalent to a corporation wresting control of your device from you, as for postponing the update I assumed I did when I closed the window as I know that rescheduling the update tells Microsoft you want the update in the first place. Closing the window should have stopped the process altogether, there was no notification that closing the window did not stop the timer. It's ok to admit that this is a lovely way to force an update and that there are times and places where this process would not be acceptable. Unless a Microsoft representative has your loved ones at gunpoint I can't imagine why you are unable to see why some people may be put off by losing access to their system for an indeterminate length of time by a process they did not initiate and cannot reject until it has already finished the update they didn't want. People who wanted Windows 10 have it already.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GreenNight posted:

That's bullshit. I have a UPS and expect my desktop to continue functioning, even if I'm away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

taqueso posted:

That's bullshit. I have a UPS and expect my desktop to continue functioning, even if I'm away.

You should re-adjust your expectations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You really do have to lower your expectations if you're using Windows, for sure. You're playing their game, not yours.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Or maybe Microsoft should adjust theirs. And maybe you should give any reason whatsoever that this is okay. It's the customer's hardware, the customer purchased the software (don't give me that "it's technically a license" garbage), and trying to remotely override customer control through underhanded timers that run out while they hope the customer's distracted is a hosed up thing to do.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

An Angry Bug posted:

Or maybe Microsoft should adjust theirs. And maybe you should give any reason whatsoever that this is okay. It's the customer's hardware, the customer purchased the software (don't give me that "it's technically a license" garbage), and trying to remotely override customer control through underhanded timers that run out while they hope the customer's distracted is a hosed up thing to do.

It's not OK, but it is technically a license in the eyes of the law, and that means you can't do anything about it except run Linux (or suck it up and upgrade to 10).

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I understand this. I thought that was clear from my posting. So why are people repeatedly explaining it anyway, except to shout down people criticizing Microsoft's actions?

Edit: Besides, there's another option that I'm taking here. Refuse to upgrade until either EOL, or whenever a viable alternative appears.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't know - there seems to be an expectation that if people get mad enough about it, something will happen. The reality is that Microsoft is not that concerned about pissing people off with this because most of their users will get over it, not switch to Linux or whatever. They think it's in their interest to operate this way and they may be right.

You're right, you can take all the measures necessary to keep running 7 indefinitely. I don't think that some kind of non-Linux non-Windows 10 alternative will emerge in the near term though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

An Angry Bug posted:

I understand this. I thought that was clear from my posting. So why are people repeatedly explaining it anyway, except to shout down people criticizing Microsoft's actions?

Edit: Besides, there's another option that I'm taking here. Refuse to upgrade until either EOL, or whenever a viable alternative appears.

Microsoft's actions are correct. People who delay upgrades forever are the majority of the reason for there being so many malware infections online.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GreenNight posted:

I think I'll adjust my OS away from Windows.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
are people actually trying to defend an automatic upgrade that locks you into the "upgrading windows" screen for an hour by saying "but it works smoothly when it's done!!!!" ???? lol good one

windows 10 isn't the anti-christ like a few people try to make it out to be but if you think it isn't extraordinarily lovely to have no control over when your PC does something like that then you have bigger problems than just posters in this thread.

EDIT: i write this as somebody who switches OS on nearly a monthly basis just to gently caress with stuff. i have a love-hate relationship with W10 but i continually give it a shot when new updates come out

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm glad that the windows 10 upgrade just happens, especially since people have had months to deal with the nag screen.

I was a bit less happy when a mandatory upgrade for a plugin I don't want for a browser I don't use does a reinstall of windows 10 and messes up a ton of profile settings after giving me a 15 minute warning.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The trick with the Windows 10 upgrade is to tell Microsoft you want Windows 10 then instead of ignoring its popups for months on end telling you that it's ready, just make time to install it overnight or something. If you don't want Windows 10 don't tell them you want it. It's not rocketry.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Has anybody ever been able to make recovery disks for any sort of system support wireless drivers? Back in the day I was using macrium, and now trying the veeam recovery disk thing both couldn't setup the wifi card as a usable device. Even after I pointed it to the folder with the exact drivers it needs to use.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Hello Windows 10 friends. I'd like to import my Windows 7 email from Outlook into Windows 10. Searching, I only found a very short solution by Microsoft which said to click on File and Import, but those options don't exist in Windows 10's email client. Is this action possible?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Ended up finally installing Windows 10 (from scratch) on two Virtual Machines (I'm primarily a Linux guy 95%+ of the time, but I need a Windows VM for a few programs for work and for personal use from time to time), both because I'd finally gotten a small laptop I'd actually want to try running a VM on (120 GB SSDs do not have enough space for a Windows VM image) and because the Windows 7 VM I'd been using on my main development machine had a Windows Update failure I couldn't sort out. (It completely hangs on Checking for Updates, even after resetting Windows Update and such). Just glad the Build 1511 image and license I got for free through my work for personal use took the Win7 key.

The honest shame of it is I actually like most of Windows 10 (the UI, the various improvements). It's just the upgrader being kinda annoying, not liking the app store they're trying to push (at least I think you can enable sideloading) and the forced updates that keep me from wholeheartedly liking it by the standards of me liking Windows versions. However, after spending three hours trying to get Windows Update to work on 7, and having had that 'Windows Update spontaneously screws up its own database" problem occur like... six times to me over the years on Windows 7 (twice on my own setups, FOUR TIMES on family members, and a different one each time) I just want the thing to work primarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

While it is pretty lovely for an entire OS to impose itself on you when it feels like it, and with very little warning (15 mins is not enough for something that big), I find it somewhat extraordinary that someone would see a window pop up with a countdown timer, think 'huh, that's a thing I guess', then just minimize it and go about their business and be surprised when something happens.