Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Moatman posted:

So I stopped playing in October for various reasons and decided to start playing again. I've looked through patch notes but a lot of it doesn't really explain what I want it to. Are carriers still skycancer? Are high-tier DDs still trash because carriers can park fighters on them and completely negate their stealth? Is Cleveland still a crazy unkillable burning monster? How are the Russian and German lines?

e: Also has anyone done a good effortpost about the new captain skills?

Nope, nope, nope, good with a couple of lemons and a couple of utter gems, generally both lines are worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Nagato acquired.

Farewell, Fusou. You were a good boat.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Possible changes coming to IJN DDs and CVs. Fubuki gets Ibuki upgraded torpedoes now (-5km range, significantly faster and more damaging), Kagero and Shimakaze both get access to the Zao's F3 torps, but their type 93s are now rather heavily nerfed. CVs T8+ get Defensive Fire, but it is much weaker than the Cruiser version and lasts a LOT longer, with only 1 charge base, and a long cooldown.

The torp changes are... kinda lovely, but at least it'll shut people up about long range torp walling. Instead they get to realize that they were always being torped within 8km and die to Zao torps instead. :laffo:

The CV "buff" is also very good, as it will heavily discourage CV sniping at the start. Unless your mouthbreather pubbie forgets to turn his on when the planes start coming. Jesus.

If the torp changes go through, I hope they're refunding skillpoints on IJN DD captains. Because I'd like to remove torp acceleration on a lot of them, then.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Moatman posted:

e: Also has anyone done a good effortpost about the new captain skills?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705704&pagenumber=425#post456457238

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The proposed torp changes will make facepalm DD driving harder but anyone who knows what they are doing will be scary. Its like when they took the 10km, slower torps from the Minekaze. The good Minekaze players were already using the faster 7km ones. I think already that Fletcher and Gearing torps are better than Kagero & Shima because they have less reaction time and are generally launched within 7km of the target.

A Shimakaze launching 15 Zao torps from 7km hidden is going to be seriously scary. I will consider getting a Fubuki when these changes go through because IMO it makes the IJN DDs more interesting.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Sorry for double post, but I'm getting back into CVs having rage-quit on my Lexington a few months ago after being sniped one time too many.

Has anyone tried the Saipan? I'm tempted to get it but the couple of youtube reviews have been mixed. Although Flamu described it as being poo poo whilst racking up 168k damage ffs.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Moatman posted:

? Is Cleveland still a crazy unkillable burning monster?

they nerfed the cleveland quite a bit both directly and indirectly. Since the turret traverse (tier 2) and advanced firing training (tier 4) perks were changed to <=139mm, the cleveland can't get a boost to its main gun range and AA armament at the same time. I've been playing it a bit and almost feel like going back to my tier 5 destroyer-on-steroids pheonix.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

pnutz posted:

they nerfed the cleveland quite a bit both directly and indirectly. Since the turret traverse (tier 2) and advanced firing training (tier 4) perks were changed to <=139mm, the cleveland can't get a boost to its main gun range and AA armament at the same time. I've been playing it a bit and almost feel like going back to my tier 5 destroyer-on-steroids pheonix.

It'll still ruin battleships with fire, but it has to do it from in closer where it's easier to hit, and actually inside the max range of the New Mexico, though it still has tiny citadels that can only be hit by sheer luck.

Also they added the Konigsberg, which is really fragile, but has longer range guns, with much flatter arcs, much faster shells, and such super penetration with AP that you don't need to consider the really bad HE shells even when shooting battleships, so it's a pretty good counter to the Cleveland in isolation.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
If I read this correctly, basically anyone getting into range with a shima, is almost assured a kill.

I actually find the current game play pretty boring, and with a competent team, you can render me almost useless in my shima. I'll take those Zao torps, sounds like fun. Just gotta dodge the radar.

Edit:
Kamikaze still works, disappointed my 7th and 8th kill were stolen from me. I did this on a conference call. Pro-tip, play in the morning. Only 10k of the damage is from flooding.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 14, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I just had the most incompetent team imaginable; probably the worst team I've ever seen.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I just had the most incompetent team imaginable; probably the worst team I've ever seen.

Last week I had a 7-kill, Confederate, High Calibre game in my Konigsberg....and lost - and it was the triple XP first win weekend too (ended up top score on both teams). The rest of my team couldn't manage a single kill between them. I find it hard to believe there has ever been a worse team.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

You know what happens when you say Beetlejuice three times like that...

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
NTRabbit joins in his New Mexico?

VVV Sounds like they had the worst team.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Look we had a pink teamkiller Saipan spam chat while driving straight through to the enemy battleship formation and flabbergastingly stayed alive long enough to ram-kill a kongo

We had the worst team

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Notes on the saipan:

8x dive bombers with 1k lb bombs is pretty nice. However, you only get one wing and you only get 14 planes total. So uhh, don't lose that squad at all. Fighters are only in squads of 3. This sounds fine, but in reality, it isn't so great. As usual for me right now, your milage may vary in the ship, but I feel more leaning on my team to shoot back than other ships. I feel like the torp set up might be a better choice, but I haven't been able to decide yet. One other thing I forgot about with the saipan when I was all giddy, you will have another equal tier carrier in the match with you at a minimum. And most likely more on the waters. I suspect this ship is amazing with a 15 point captain as you can then swing around with 4 fighters and 9 bombers. But till then, I think I'm going to have to give the torp bombers a try. You still get 2 fighter wings which is nice.

Edit: Also, I'm really really really bad with fighter strafing. Planes just don't sit still enough for it to work in my case.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 15, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I like the Nagato a lot except when matchmaking puts it into games dominated by tier IX ships.

...Which it just did three times in a row. :fuckoff:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

I like the Nagato a lot except when matchmaking puts it into games dominated by tier IX ships.

...Which it just did three times in a row. :fuckoff:

Good news, you cannot be in more than 3 matches uptiered. After 3 games where you've been uptiered, your next game is guaranteed to have you as top tier. Don't waste it. (don't know how this interacts with divisions, might be wonky)

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ugh I got a Zao, then they nerfed HP. So I got a Yamato, and they nerfed rudder and light AA. So I got a shima and now they nerf the torps. I guess expect a nerf to Hindenberg and Montana since im grinding those lines now.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I got called a taliban supporter today by a Myoko I burned down. Still don't really know why.

pnutz posted:

Burt posted:

Nope, nope, nope, good with a couple of lemons and a couple of utter gems, generally both lines are worth it.

Thanks

Moatman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 15, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

I guess expect a nerf to Hindenberg and Montana since im grinding those lines now.

I'd like to get the Hindenberg someday, but I'm at the York and have lost all will to continue with the German cruiser line. By the time I get it, the Hindenberg will have been nerfed and then buffed again.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
If I can get scores like this with just doing AA work, I'd play US CAs all the time.

Check out that 8 kill Hakuryu loss for the enemy. Heh. I take a lot of credit, as the Hakuryu was out of TBs and couldn't finish off our last BB because of it, letting us win on points.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Moatman posted:

I got called a taliban supporter today by a Myoko I burned down. Still don't really know why.

Maybe because you support taliban?

EDIT: Did anyone encounter this weird bug where the game goes 4 FPS for everyone in match?

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 15, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

Maybe because you support taliban?

EDIT: Did anyone encounter this weird bug where the game goes 4 FPS for everyone in match?

Yes, several times, and it fixes itself as soon as you die, but I've never found a way to repeat it on purpose

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

If I can get scores like this with just doing AA work, I'd play US CAs all the time.

Check out that 8 kill Hakuryu loss for the enemy. Heh. I take a lot of credit, as the Hakuryu was out of TBs and couldn't finish off our last BB because of it, letting us win on points.

Just bought my NO, with the US discount. Are you going full AA for it in terms of the component upgrades?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I enjoy playing battleships(and occasionally destroyers) in this, but I think I generally accomplish more and contribute to my team more as a carrier. I just wish that T5 wasn't such a huge hump for the IJN carrier line. I can do a ton of damage to opposing ships using the 2 torpedo bomber squads + 1 bomber squad, but if I'm going against a US carrier it is so hard to actually keep planes alive. Them having 10 fighters out to my 4 means that there is no way I can compete for air superiority, and its not like I have a lot of spares at this point. Last night my one squad caught the US carrier's 2 squads in a strafe above a friendly cruiser, destroyed one squad and knocked one plane out of the second, and still lost the ensuing dogfight. I had to throw away my backup fighters to save my torpedo bombers, which he was pursuing with his fighters.

My bombers put out a lot of hurt despite that, taking out most of one battleships health, destroying one cruiser, and destroying the destroyer trying to cap our zone

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I enjoy playing battleships(and occasionally destroyers) in this, but I think I generally accomplish more and contribute to my team more as a carrier. I just wish that T5 wasn't such a huge hump for the IJN carrier line. I can do a ton of damage to opposing ships using the 2 torpedo bomber squads + 1 bomber squad, but if I'm going against a US carrier it is so hard to actually keep planes alive. Them having 10 fighters out to my 4 means that there is no way I can compete for air superiority, and its not like I have a lot of spares at this point. Last night my one squad caught the US carrier's 2 squads in a strafe above a friendly cruiser, destroyed one squad and knocked one plane out of the second, and still lost the ensuing dogfight. I had to throw away my backup fighters to save my torpedo bombers, which he was pursuing with his fighters.

My bombers put out a lot of hurt despite that, taking out most of one battleships health, destroying one cruiser, and destroying the destroyer trying to cap our zone

I keep hovering over the "buy" button on the Saipan but I read posts like this and just go "nope".

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

kaesarsosei posted:

The proposed torp changes will make facepalm DD driving harder but anyone who knows what they are doing will be scary. Its like when they took the 10km, slower torps from the Minekaze. The good Minekaze players were already using the faster 7km ones. I think already that Fletcher and Gearing torps are better than Kagero & Shima because they have less reaction time and are generally launched within 7km of the target.

A Shimakaze launching 15 Zao torps from 7km hidden is going to be seriously scary. I will consider getting a Fubuki when these changes go through because IMO it makes the IJN DDs more interesting.
I find skirting the detection range a lot harder at higher tiers. A shima could do it, for sure, but at tier X every fucker has a scout plane and IJN CV's have like 9 different plane squads. It is much easier to use short range torps to stalk tier 5 ships in a Minekaze than it is tier 10 ships in a shima.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

Just bought my NO, with the US discount. Are you going full AA for it in terms of the component upgrades?

Yes. AFT, Manual AA, and AA Range Mod. Since the New Orleans isn't terribly good at long range battles, the accuracy mod isn't as effective if you're attempting to make fights closer ranged. On the flip side, more AA range means more damage out to planes and a bigger envelope of protection when you activate Defensive Fire.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Hazdoc posted:

Yes. AFT, Manual AA, and AA Range Mod. Since the New Orleans isn't terribly good at long range battles, the accuracy mod isn't as effective if you're attempting to make fights closer ranged. On the flip side, more AA range means more damage out to planes and a bigger envelope of protection when you activate Defensive Fire.

I've done the same on my U.S. cruiser captain, which makes the Atlanta and AA murder machine. Time to bite the bullet and by the p-cola soon.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I'm considering going concealment for the 5th captain skill instead of manual control...

New Orleans can get down to around 9.5 detection range. Going to need that for ambushes in the Des Moines.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. I haven't played for a while, came back the other day and apparently there are now 4 trees instead of just 2!

Which cruiser and battleship is considered "best" these days? Between US and Japan only as I'm on tiers 7-8 in these trees and haven't touched Russia or Germany.

Also, are there any active Goon channels? Couldn't find anything in the Private Servers forum.

Thanks mucho.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Unexpected posted:

Hi. I haven't played for a while, came back the other day and apparently there are now 4 trees instead of just 2!

Which cruiser and battleship is considered "best" these days? Between US and Japan only as I'm on tiers 7-8 in these trees and haven't touched Russia or Germany.

Also, are there any active Goon channels? Couldn't find anything in the Private Servers forum.

Thanks mucho.

Discord. It's as active as you make it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Unexpected posted:

Which cruiser and battleship is considered "best" these days?

Zao and Yamato, even though the Zao has a mild nerf incoming.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Thank you both.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, just from reading the thread, the extra weight of fire still doesn't make the Montana better than the Yamato's alpha strike capability, and the general consensus is that the Des Moines is a machine gun made out of cardboard that has no torpedoes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Playing the Des Moines on public test is amazing. What a great boat. I'm definitely getting that as my next T10 if I don't get to the Gearing first.

New torpedoes on the Fubuki are stupid. Stupidly good, that is. It's a straight Fubuki buff, and I cannot complain in the SLIGHTEST. Kagero is.. well, all over the place. Feels weak. Shimakaze is still strong, but needs to get closer.

The 12km Type 93s are the default torp for the Shima now, since the 20km versions are slower and easier to detect, and do less damage too. 12km is very workable range. The F3 torpedoes are... hot poo poo. 8km is not enough space to do any work with unless you're dealing with drooling retarded pubbies and there's no hostile CV. And even then, the time to react on the F3s is only slightly better than the 12km torps. They do reload faster... but that doesn't matter if you have no targets within range.

The AA effects revert to CBT is glorious, the new sinking animations are cool, but I'm guessing they're not all in yet, as I've only really seen the capsizing animation. Only got a turret shot off once in 15 or so games in DDs, so that's nice.

Weather effects are great, but the typhoon effect on north is... weird. It definitely should affect planes in a different way because as it stands, CVs are the kings of the sea when that weather kicks in, as nobody can see poo poo but you can still get spotted by planes and sunk by tons of invisible people.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

jownzy posted:

Discord. It's as active as you make it.

Amen to that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
double up

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

El Disco posted:

I'd like to get the Hindenberg someday, but I'm at the York and have lost all will to continue with the German cruiser line. By the time I get it, the Hindenberg will have been nerfed and then buffed again.

Yup I spoke too soon, sounds like they are going to nerf the 5.5cm flak guns on the Hindy because they are too good. I'm on the Yorck right now and im actually liking it. I have demo expert on that captain and basically just use HE all the time. The RoF is pretty good on those guns. I just wish I was closer to having concealment expert.

edit: 200k+ damage game in Colorado, still lost. Got more exp than anyone on enemy team, even with the 50% win bonus. Thanks a lot pubs.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lakedaimon posted:

edit: 200k+ damage game in Colorado, still lost. Got more exp than anyone on enemy team, even with the 50% win bonus. Thanks a lot pubs.

drat those stupid windowlickers portholelickers..