Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
In medieval villages, people would traditionally leave bunches of cilantro on the doorstep to protect the home. In the legend, forums poster The Midniter would be compelled to strip the leaves by hand and thus be caught by the rising sun at dawn.

If you haven't got the patience to hand-strip herbs, you can use the serrated nutcracker thing between the handles of most kitchen shears. Just feed the stalks through, twist your hand a little to engage the stalks in both sets of teeth and apply a little friction, and pull. I'm not sure exactly what those nutcracker things are actually for, but they work fine for stripping cilantro or parsley or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cilantro is cheap as poo poo. I don't bother to pluck. I grab the bunch and use a knife to strip off whatever enough leaves I need then I save the stems to throw into stock.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hogmartin posted:

I'm not sure exactly what those nutcracker things are actually for

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I must be ultimate lazy. I take the cilantro still in its bundle and its plastic bag, unwrap the head part and just rinse the part I'm going to use under the sink. Slap it on my board, and mince whatever I need straight out of the bag. Throw the rest with the plastic bag back into the fridge.

But I use a shitton of cilantro in just about everything so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I always thought it was for opening stuck bottle caps, but I guess they work for both...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use them on lobster/crab

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hold a bundle upside-down over whatever I want cilantro on and go to town with the shears, Edward Scissorhands-style :taco:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can you guys help me improve my chicken fajita marinade recipe so the chicken doesn't taste like bland poo poo?

• 2 cups beer (Shiner Bock)
• 3 limes, juiced
• 6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed & then chopped
• 3-4 serrano peppers, halved & then sliced
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp pepper
• 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Can you guys help me improve my chicken fajita marinade recipe so the chicken doesn't taste like bland poo poo?

• 3 limes, juiced
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp pepper
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder

Try less beer, it might be thinning everything else out.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I feel like the stems have more flavor... they just don't look as pretty when they're mixed with chopped leaves. Sometimes I'll make a little salsa of minced cilantro stems, toasted sesame seeds and pickled ginger in olive oil, it's pretty and tasty

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

pile of brown posted:

I feel like the stems have more flavor... they just don't look as pretty when they're mixed with chopped leaves. Sometimes I'll make a little salsa of minced cilantro stems, toasted sesame seeds and pickled ginger in olive oil, it's pretty and tasty

Maybe they do have more flavor, and it's just the thin tubule of plant matter against my tongue versus a broad leaf of cilantro making contact with many more taste buds which could lead me to interpreting the leaves as having more. Regardless, I prefer the consistency of the leaves (but have been known to be lazy and chop all that poo poo up together).

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

• 3 limes, juiced
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp pepper
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder

Try home roasting/grinding your own chili powder. It is really easy to do and makes a huge difference. I'd roast your own cumin alongside it too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

MORE CUMIN

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

• 3 limes, juiced
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp pepper
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder

Drink the beer, then add more cumin and chili powder, as well as lots of paprika and some mexican oregano if you can get it (a little european oregano will work too).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't think you need any beer in that marinade.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah the soy sauce and lime juice should provide all the liquid needed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup, just look up alton brown's fajita marinade. you've got most of the same stuff as it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The beer is a staple ingredient. I can't remove it altogether. I'm trying to emulate a restaurant recipe here.

I should point out that the last time I made this marinade, I left out the soy sauce, and the chicken was bland as gently caress. Not sure how much leaving out the soy sauce contributed to the lack of flavor, but there you go.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

well A don't leave out a high-flavor ingredient like that

B, maybe pump up your spice quantities. if you want a good flavor in your cooked meat, the marinade needs to be pretty drat strong; imo it's hard to go over, as long as you don't let the meat sit overly long

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Soy sauce has a bunch of salt and MSG, so it makes things taste better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One recipe for pan fried chicken nuggets called for heating up olive oil in a saucepan and (deep?) frying pieces of chicken breast. I tossed in about 1.5 to 2 cups of olive oil, enough to cover about halfway up the nuggets. It splattered a whole bunch and made a mess, but it was working well enough.

The smoke detectors almost immediately shat their pants. I had to open the windows and turn on the vent hood to get them to shut up :pwn: It wasn't the first time I've set off smoke detectors, it happens regularly whenever I use the oven (gently caress if I know why), but this time was particularly annoying.

I did some research and apparently what happened is that the olive oil reached its smoke point and started, well, smoking. That's what set off the smoke detectors. I know the recipe called for semi-deep frying in olive oil, but am I actually supposed to use it for frying stuff? Should I be using some other kind of oil instead?

Also, how do you fry things anyway? I was always taught to put no more than a tablespoon of oil in a pan, even if you're making something like chicken cutlets or anything breaded. I assume it's healthy to do so, but my milanesa always comes out undercooked on the sides when I do. Was I taught incorrectly?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah you shouldn't fry in olive oil as it has a low smoke point. Also you can use more than a tablespoon the amount of oil you use doesn't really cause it to be unhealthy by itself.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Lower grades of olive oil can give you maybe 100ºF more before they reach their smoke point than extra virgin will. Maybe your oil was too good?

Olive oil isn't cheap anyway, and I find a lot of the flavor is too subtle to do much in frying. A cheaper grade of olive oil might help. I probably would have ignored the instructions and just used peanut or canola since I don't really have cabinet space to keep frying (canola or peanut) and lower-grade olive oils on hand.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made some boneless skinless chicken thighs yesterday. I treated them like breasts, but they are a lot different. How should I cook them?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Diced and stir-fried is nice, they cook basically the same as diced breast that way. If you want them whole, they do well with a sugar/honey, soy, ginger, and sesame marinade under a broiler since they're already butterflied.

e: try:

1/2c soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2-3 cloves minced garlic
grated fresh (or frozen) ginger root to taste

toasted sesame oil

Mix everything but the oil, put it in a ziplock bag or marinade tray with the chicken. Leave it in the refrigerator for 1 hour, shaking and rotating twice. Drain the marinade, rub the chicken with some sesame oil, and put it on foil on a sheet tray (more moist) or on a rack inverted over a foil-lined sheet tray (more dry/grilled). Put it under the broiler (maybe 6" under the element on the oven) for about 5 minutes per side. If they're butterflied and laid flat, that should be fine. I use the toaster oven for this so if you only have an oven, use your intuition and senses and a thermometer.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 15, 2016

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made some boneless skinless chicken thighs yesterday. I treated them like breasts, but they are a lot different. How should I cook them?

Chicken stew. You should be able to scrounge up the Cook's Illustrated recipe for it somewhere online.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Drink the beer, then add more cumin and chili powder, as well as lots of paprika and some mexican oregano if you can get it (a little european oregano will work too).

About how much cumin, chili powder, and paprika would you recommend for that amount of liquid? I'm thinking at least 1-2 Tbsp of each?

EDIT: I may need to cut about half a cup of the beer for space-saving purposes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cook them using whatever method you want; just use a thermometer. I cook breasts to 150 and dark meat such as thighs to 165. Luckily, they are MUCH more forgiving than white meat and won't dry out nearly as quickly or as noticeably thanks to the higher fat content.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm trying to recreate a dish I used to order from Szechuan West in Ann Arbor, the ta chien chicken. I found a recipe at http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2011/06/sichuan-chicken-dish-fit-for-artist.html that gets the flavor almost right, but Szechuan West had much more of a glaze on the chicken, not just a dusting of starch. Does anyone know how to get that glazed effect?

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 15, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mix your corn starch into an ounce or two (that's it!) of liquid. Soy, stock, whatever. ⅛ or ¼ tsp of corn starch won't do much though. Go for a tablespoon or two. Get your sauce boiling in the wok, then give your slurry (that's what it's called) a good stir to get everything in suspension. Then, while stirring the sauce in your wok, pour in your slurry. Keep stirring until the sauce comes to a boil.

There is no need to microwave it beforehand or anything like that. You will know the sauce has boiled/is it it's thickest because the milky color will go away and you will have something more translucent and glassy.

To be clear: Your sauce should be assembled in the wok and and the slurry added last to thicken it up. Add maybe half the slurry at first and let it thicken and see if you need more. Too thick, and the stir fry will have too much sauce stuck to it and the flavor may be overpowering. It's just something you have to get a feel for as you go.

Maybe this will help? It looks like the recipe you linked gets the starch involved before the sauce is even put together.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I'm trying to recreate a dish I used to order from Szechuan West in Ann Arbor, the ta chien chiken. I found a recipe at http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/2011/06/sichuan-chicken-dish-fit-for-artist.html that gets the flavor almost right, but Szechuan West had much more of a glaze on the chicken, not just a dusting of starch. Does anyone know how to get that glazed effect?
Maybe additional doubanjiang, but most American-Chinese sauces are goopy because of a shitload of cornstarch. Like a little bowl of cornstarch and water mixed together, food's cooked, when it's just about done spoon/ladle/pour/whatever cornstarch slurry until you get the consistency you want.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

High heat imo. Not sure you'll be able to replicate a restaurant wok using medium as the recipe auggests

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Midniter posted:

Cook them using whatever method you want; just use a thermometer. I cook breasts to 150 and dark meat such as thighs to 165. Luckily, they are MUCH more forgiving than white meat and won't dry out nearly as quickly or as noticeably thanks to the higher fat content.

I understand if you've never cooked chicken before, but surely once you have an idea of how long things take and what cooked looks like, you can forgo the thermometer? I've never used one, and I sort of think they're for people who worry too much...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How long can I leave raw chicken breasts in the freezer before they go bad?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Years

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Unless they are packed improperly and end up with too much freezer burn. Although they are of course still safe to eat.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks guys!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DekeThornton posted:

Unless they are packed improperly and end up with too much freezer burn. Although they are of course still safe to eat.

And even then, just shred the gently caress out of them and cover in BBQ sauce.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

baquerd posted:

And even then, just shred the gently caress out of them and cover in BBQ sauce.

The truth. Or a stew.

Vacuum sealers are a pretty good tool for preventing freezer burn, that's how hunters can keep game frozen for months after they've taken it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I understand if you've never cooked chicken before, but surely once you have an idea of how long things take and what cooked looks like, you can forgo the thermometer? I've never used one, and I sort of think they're for people who worry too much...

If you own a food thermometer, and you should, even if by your rule you only use it the first few times to figure out how to cook something to temp, then there's no reason not to do the easy step of using it every time and protect yourself and your guests from getting sick. And your food will taste better. You can hit medium rare every time!