Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

No Safe Word posted:

I think that's a side effect of all Unity 2D stuff, since they just do 3D with basically no 3rd axis.

As someone making a game using Unity 2D, not necessarily. What they're showing there is that the dungeons actually are 3D (like actual walls and such) but the camera is pointed at them and has all depth turned off so the final result looks 2D. The sprites are tilted to match the camera angle so they look like their face-on with it.

Basically the same idea as what the recent Zelda did http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/19/zelda-link-worlds-developers-cheat-camera/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I was about to ask if they made this game in Unity after seeing that.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Welp, beat the sixth chamber without being hit. The Sense of Direction and Blank Companion's Ring is hellaciously OP.

Every two seconds or so, I could fire off a blank.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Post poste posted:

Welp, beat the sixth chamber without being hit. The Sense of Direction and Blank Companion's Ring is hellaciously OP.

Jesus christ.

I thought that ring had a cooldown to avoid stuff like that?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Jesus christ.

I thought that ring had a cooldown to avoid stuff like that?

Yes, but I also had the ballot, the ice cube, and had sunk about six hearts into smoking.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I just managed to beat the Hunter's past, so that's all of them done. Which is clearly impossible because there's no way of getting the RNG to allow such a thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There are a couple of absolutely broken combinations out there. Another one I saw was the Black Hole gun + homing projectiles. Since the black holes won't disappear until they hit a wall, they stay on the boss indefinitely until it dies from the tick damage.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Today I unlocked the sorceress. Paying for her blessing and the gimmick run that results is an amazing and fun way to play the game. I wish that didn't cost hegemoney so I could just use it every time.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nighthand posted:

Last night I had the most crazy over the top powerful run I've seen, due to a rainbow chest on floor 1. I'm pretty sure I had a Jammed Dragun, but I honestly don't know, because I could barely see it. Got Lead God that run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da1FM1AJfI8

Black hole gun and BSG + holster + other synergy stuff meant I pretty much cleared the whole game without getting hit.

Holy poo poo the game hated your for the first couple of rooms. :staredog:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I tried the controller and it made me take a lot more damage. Maybe I just need practice with it, it seems that's what everyone who got gud is using.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Post poste posted:

I didn`t have this experience. It seemed like only one blank every third time when I was spamming it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was fighting treadnaught and an armor randomly appeared in the boss entrance room behind me (I saw it appear out of thin air in there during the fight). Then the rat had stolen it when the fight was over. What

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

parthenocarpy posted:

I didn`t have this experience. It seemed like only one blank every third time when I was spamming it.

Yeah, and it's cooldown is about 0.75 seconds or so? It wasn't a constant stream of blanks, just constant enough.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thom and the Heads posted:

how many good players use m + kb? i'm thinking about trying it but comfy couch controller gaming owns.

I'm not good but I use a mouse + keyboard vOv

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
After playing more controller is better, not because of aiming(which is kind of a wash) but because you have finer control of your movement. With WASD you have 8 directions of movement(buttons+diagonals), which means you can also only dodge at 45 degree angles, while with an analog stick you have the full 360 degrees of movement/dodges. Which makes dodgerolls easier on some patterns, like Kill Pillar's circles thing

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you unlock the sorceress? I keep seeing her mentioned and I haven't seen any golden keys in like... ever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^^ she was locked up in the hollow for me.

Had a few more runs where the game actually gave me enough guns and ammo to use them throughout the whole gungeon, and I finished the bullet and killed hunter's past. It can be really fun when it just lets itself, why doesn't it do this more often :(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In the one dark room with all the little shell guys running at you, do they not show up at all if they're jammed? I abused the hell out of the decoy in a run and then lost like all my health on that room on poo poo I couldn't see at all.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also there's something weird between the tentacle and the decoy - I dropped it in the demon head room to try and steal something, and like nine tentacles shot out in different directions and I got shot out of the room back to the regular floor. Weird run.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Patch 1.0.5 came out, mostly bugfixes

quote:

Made secret room spawns slightly more predictable
The Mac version is now a Universal App (32-bit/64-bit)
Fixed a crash bug related to Gunther
Fixed a rare bug involving elevators and the Bloody Scarf
Wiping a save slot's progress will no longer wipe the slot once again when the game closes
Fixed a bug which prevented the Great Hall achievement from unlocking properly
Conversations can no longer be interrupted by projectiles
Fixed more issues which could cause dropped controller inputs or odd vibration behavior
Fixed some cases where the Lord of the Jammed could cause damage to the player in unfair moments
Fixed an issue where the caped <REDACTED> wouldn't escape when some invulnerable enemies remaining in the room
Fixed various issues when entering the Oubliette in coop
Fixed a positioning issue with the television toss that could cause it to unfairly fall into pits
Fixed an exploit where the hip holster could to fire extremely rapidly
Gave Gatling Gull's melee attack a cooldown (no more cheesing!)
The Molotov gun no longer puts out fires
The Boomerang is no longer usable in empty rooms

Kinda curious about the secret room thing.

e: The ammoconda is a stupid boss.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gatling Gull had a melee attack?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Yes, it was easily exploitable with roll timing, and he preferred to do it when he was starting an attack when you were closer than the barrel.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

If you get really close to him he'll swing the gun at you. If you do (did) it right you can just kind of get him stuck doing it over and over while you fight him.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's a double post

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well found my first mimic chest, it was in a mirror, and I was on my last health. :geno:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Mirror chests can be mimics? That's almost as cruel as the mimic health chests in NT.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Mirror chests can be mimics? That's almost as cruel as the mimic health chests in NT.

Just so you know, fuse chests can be mimics too!

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Speaking of mimics, the Door Lord boss counts towards Frifles Hunting challenge for Mimics. Killing it gave me my fifth kill and completed the challenge for me.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
My roommate and I have 50 hrs put in this game. It's been out what, a week? We have 70 deaths or so and have only seen the dragun half a dozen times. If it was easier I might have won and been done by now. I remain satisfied.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I got to the dragun and the bullet hell part started at the last section of health but it never clicked in my brain to dodge to the empty areas so I tried to weave thru the bullets, bullet hell style and died

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If I got the oubliette crest to the altar and killed the boss of the abbey, is there any reason to go to those areas anymore? Any unlocks that require going there besides just killing the bosses?

That run I got the witch pistol and the hexagun for my first two guns, so it was just chickens for days. Then I flawlessed dragun and killed pilot's past :toot:

I'm liking the fact that the past fights aren't incredibly difficult, at least they're no harder than the dragun, of the two I've seen. It would be really disappointing to have to get that far many times just to win once.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Digirat posted:

If I got the oubliette crest to the altar and killed the boss of the abbey, is there any reason to go to those areas anymore? Any unlocks that require going there besides just killing the bosses?

Oubliette can be nice if you get spare keys (or just brown chests) on the first level, just for the chance of extra items + casings. I wouldn't go to the Abbey unless you have a really powerful run going. That place is more trouble than what it's worth.
As for unlocks, not that anyone knows of at least. Once you've killed the bosses, you are "done" with the progression for those areas.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oubliette has the best music so it's always worth going to if you can manage it. abbey has bullet kin with bishop hats, which is awesome, but the boss is a pain in the rear end, which is a bummer, so it's kind of a wash

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok good, flawlessing many of the bosses has gotten me unlocks so I was worried I'd have to beat that awful abbey boss without taking a hit to get something. I think I had one hit left and no blanks. But when I flawlessed dragun it didn't give me anything, so there definitely isn't an unlock tied to all of them.

Also as a warning, the drum magazine's description is wrong and doesn't give more magazine size to every gun. My hexagun did not get another shot so it may not work on things with only 1 shot.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Digirat posted:

Ok good, flawlessing many of the bosses has gotten me unlocks so I was worried I'd have to beat that awful abbey boss without taking a hit to get something. I think I had one hit left and no blanks. But when I flawlessed dragun it didn't give me anything, so there definitely isn't an unlock tied to all of them.

Also as a warning, the drum magazine's description is wrong and doesn't give more magazine size to every gun. My hexagun did not get another shot so it may not work on things with only 1 shot.

That's correct, it only works on guns with 2+ magazine sizes. There's one gun in particular that changes magazine size depending on how much damage you have taken, and it only gets the bonus size when you have taken at least one damage.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Post poste posted:

Just so you know, fuse chests can be mimics too!
See also, the chest awarded for clearing a challenge room.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Digirat posted:

Isn't the unlock only for flawlessing the boss for the first time on that level?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

orangelex44 posted:

Isn't the unlock only for flawlessing the boss for the first time on that level?

I just beat the Oubliette boss taking one hit and the turtle didn't unlock so yes. It sounds like they're going to have to play the Abbey again despite what they're being told.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

I just beat the Oubliette boss taking one hit and the turtle didn't unlock so yes. It sounds like they're going to have to play the Abbey again despite what they're being told.

Sounds like a bug to me. I got hit by Blobulord and still got the turtle. I even uploaded a video of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

lazorexplosion posted:

I'd say controller is easier, but M&K is more fun for me, the whole push a stick in the general direction and hope autoaim takes care of it style of aiming feels vague and crappy.

e: also the bloodied scarf would suck with a controller, instead of being gloriously good.

Why would the bloodied scarf suck with controller? Real quesiton as I've never picked it up. Seems like the range is constant or at the very least limited so it's not like the cursor would be a huge advantage. Can you not phase through walls unless you have m+k or something?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sounds like a bug to me. I got hit by Blobulord and still got the turtle. I even uploaded a video of it.

:negative: