Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Dilber posted:

For me it was Rosa being immediately outed as a cop.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I really hope Pimento becomes a permanent character on the show whenever they solve his murder. He's great with Rosa. He doesn't need as much screen time as the other main cast but it'd be nice to see him pop up every once in a while.

Nope. He killed The League for me when they made Rafi a recurring character. He'd do the same here. The show would turn into how the others react to whatever wacky thing he did that week when it should be about Jake doing that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He is to gross weird dudes as Melissa Mccarthy is to swearing loud chicks. I'm sure he's funny somewhere, but every role he does is the same loving thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Solice Kirsk posted:

He is to gross weird dudes as Melissa Mccarthy is to swearing loud chicks. I'm sure he's funny somewhere, but every role he does is the same loving thing.

He pops up in everything and just loving goes overboard. Parks and Recreation at least used him sparingly.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

Red posted:

He pops up in everything and just loving goes overboard. Parks and Recreation at least used him sparingly.

He was annoying after the first couple of League episodes he was in.
But he was a good addition in Parks.

I was over him in B99 after pretty much the first scene.
Much rather have any of the other characters use the time he took. Hope he is gone for good.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I was thinking Pimento could have an arc where he gradually becomes more normal (well B99 normal) once he excises his people trying to kill him demons. Everyone in the show has grown since the first season so it's not impossible!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Nope. He killed The League for me when they made Rafi a recurring character. He'd do the same here. The show would turn into how the others react to whatever wacky thing he did that week when it should be about Jake doing that.

The League got extremely bad when the humor gradually turned even more mean spirited and cynical. Rafi at least worked for being this chaotic force that made the other characters seem like normal and decent human beings in comparison. Taco is by far the worst character and is in every episode, and the Andre pranks went from funny to now "this guy should literally murder these people to get them out of his life".

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Taco's the worst, followed by Andre, Jason Mantzoukas rulz.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I really hope Pimento becomes a permanent character on the show whenever they solve his murder. He's great with Rosa. He doesn't need as much screen time as the other main cast but it'd be nice to see him pop up every once in a while.

I sincerely hope not, he gets old immediately in whatever he's a part of.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really tried to like the League, but I'm assuming my complete lack of football knowledge was a handicap going in. That and the fact that the pilot seemed surprisingly misogynistic, and I didn't feel like sticking around to find out if that's part of the joke or something.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
It kinda sounds like the League wasn't a good TV show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

StalkofWheat posted:

It kinda sounds like the League wasn't a good TV show.

First three seasons were pretty great. After that though it became a total waste of time.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really tried to like the League, but I'm assuming my complete lack of football knowledge was a handicap going in. That and the fact that the pilot seemed surprisingly misogynistic, and I didn't feel like sticking around to find out if that's part of the joke or something.

I watched the first three seasons of it, and my takeaway is that it's full of selfish jerks just like Always Sunny, but The League's cast is toned down enough so it leaves "wacky comedy" territory and reenters "assholes you know irl" territory

Jon Lajoie's (and to a lesser extent, Jason Matzoukas') character is the only thing that keeps the laughs rolling

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

inthesto posted:

Jon Lajoie's (and to a lesser extent, Jason Matzoukas') character is the only thing that keeps the laughs rolling

Huh. I never expected to see it, but here it is folks. A wrong opinion.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

inthesto posted:

I dont think im in the wrong in saying most people think those exact two caharacters are the reason the show became unbearable after the 3rd season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You know how Simpsons became bad because they ran out of ideas and it was "Simpsons go to X," or "Homer does wacky thing y?"

The League fast-forwarded that poo poo with Taco, Rafi and Dirty Randy. It went to hell pretty fast.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

I watched the first three seasons of it, and my takeaway is that it's full of selfish jerks just like Always Sunny, but The League's cast is toned down enough so it leaves "wacky comedy" territory and reenters "assholes you know irl" territory

I hate those assholes! And you say that those two other dudes makes it more like Sunny?:v:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really tried to like the League, but I'm assuming my complete lack of football knowledge was a handicap going in.
butbutbut every stupid Earwolf commercial I've ever heard for it emphasized that you don't have to know anything about football to enjoy it!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Well, that is true. The fantasy football is really just an excuse for friends making GBS threads on each other. You don't have to know anything about football (let alone fantasy football) to get the full experience.

That said, whether you like it or not is another story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Illinois Smith posted:

butbutbut every stupid Earwolf commercial I've ever heard for it emphasized that you don't have to know anything about football to enjoy it!

After watching the pilot, that's not exactly true. Unless you don't mind tuning out for minutes at a time while you watch because you won't recognize players' names or give a poo poo about facts and figures.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sorry, Rafi was awesome.

"Somebody kill someone, I wanna see a ghost!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rafi would have been fine if he was in one episode a season for like 5 minutes. Same with Taco. And Pete honestly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rafi was over-used in the show but he was also one of the brighter (or only bright) spots in the later seasons. People got tired of him because he was a one-note character but so was everyone and everything else in the show. It was just a show about one-note characters being jerks to each other with football being involved.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
The League's actual-players-as-guest-stars are its strong point.

I also like the meta-gag about whether Amy really looked pregnant.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
What a twist!

Also, I've developed a huge crush on Stephanie Beatriz. Thanks for the fan service in this episode

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Oh dang

These last few episodes have been so good. I'm glad that they're trying something different, and by all accounts pulling it off.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My lint is oblong. My lint is blue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dennis Haysbert was perfect

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 13, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

First three seasons were pretty great. After that though it became a total waste of time.

The League's first season was actually really good.

The formula was: "These guys are downtrodden people who become assholes to each other, and never win by being assholes."

Taco was a weakly written and pointless character, but occasionally worked when used as a pawn by the other characters.

But with the second season, they decided Taco needed to sing and do more pointless stuff, and got Rafi to show up and just say/do bizarre things for the sake of being bizarre. Then they added Seth Rogen for some reason to amp up Rafi even more.

At that point, the humor turned from "friends who dump on each other" to "friends who actively try to hurt each other, in a bad way" with a lot of "here's Rafi doing everything but cutting off his own dick and throwing it at the screen".

And it seems like Rafi's actor does the same thing on Parks and Rec, but way toned down - and does it here somewhere between The League and Parks and Rec.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Pretty good analysis but Taco literally sang in the pilot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Red posted:

The formula was: "These guys are downtrodden people who become assholes to each other, and never win by being assholes."

Yeah this is a key point they lost. They decided "hey people really like it when the characters piss on Andre, lets ramp that up to 11!" They went from being normal people who hosed with eachother in the way immature friends would (but almost always with some kind of karma) to just cruel weirdos.

Same thing with Taco, he was always goofy and kind of an embarrassment but at some point they decided "wow this guy is a breakout star!" so the running gag became "Taco is an idiot savant genius who knows a ton of celebrities and is basically like a more dickish drug using version of Forrest Gump who has sex all the time and falls rear end backwards into fame and fortune".

Anyway, back to talking about a better show: Brooklyn Nine-Nine. This was a great episode, they have been on a role for awhile. Dennis Haysbert was phenomenal, I hope they find a way to have him guest star in the future.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Enderzero posted:

Pretty good analysis but Taco literally sang in the pilot.

Taco singing in the pilot worked because the parents had to stop him. Also, it was just him playing at a kids' party.

The only other song from the first season I remember is vaginal hubris, which was bad and unfunny, and that's probably the worst episode of the season.

From season 2 onward, he sang more, and it was always terrible and unfunny.

I gave up on the show at some point I can't remember, but I came back for the last season, only to see Ruxin's wife was dead, and Rafi and Randy smuggled her body (and a horny chupacabra) out of Puerto Rico by surfing on it, after her dad shot at the body. And it was a flash cartoon format.

And Rafi had a beehive growing on his junk.

So my point is, I don't want B99 to have Pimento growing a beehive on his junk.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rosa is a Yoga champion.!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Red posted:

I gave up on the show at some point I can't remember, but I came back for the last season, only to see Ruxin's wife was dead, and Rafi and Randy smuggled her body (and a horny chupacabra) out of Puerto Rico by surfing on it, after her dad shot at the body. And it was a flash cartoon format.

And Rafi had a beehive growing on his junk.

Thank you for ensuring I'll never feel bad that I didn't watch the show past the pilot.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I realize it's very childish, but I keep cracking up at the "Clown Boobies" magazine.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

AFewBricksShy posted:

I realize it's very childish, but I keep cracking up at the "Clown Boobies" magazine.

It was the fact he had a whole box of them he just got in that amazes me. They must be a top seller.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

seaborgium posted:

It was the fact he had a whole box of them he just got in that amazes me. They must be a top seller.

*honk honk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man that episode was a home run.

"Let's break into the FBI"

Also I died at "I will talk about both those shows"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm really tired of subplots where Gina is an rear end in a top hat and gets unilaterally vindicated for it and everyone else has to apologize for not having faith in her or considering her feelings or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't recall what Gina did wrong? Terry thought she was the leak but she wasn't.

• Locked thread