Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Very well put, i agree.

I have not worked with Cloud services in a while and i am sure they handle a lot of things very good now. I have done a lot of work for clients that want extreme performance. Bloomberg for example paid a huge Bonus for every ms i was able to shave off of certain financial transactions below an already tight threshold. I spent a week optimising the C++ and rewriting parts of the compiler for their platform to milk that cash cow.

I also remember re-writing their ftp client and server to give them faster file transfers which looking back was a really crazy linux kernel hack that was scary as gently caress. I basically dropped some of the handshaking and headers, replaced it with a more "optimized" version. It worked remarkably well though. Downside was, it would not work on any other kernel and not to be used outside the intranet for security reasons. Amazing how much time you can save if you know where you are and who you are talking to. That was when i was 20 years younger though, today i am semi retired.

Now, i know this is not something games need to concern themselves with since they would never need such optimization. You are completely right though when you say that the Hardware becomes irrelevant when you have lovely developers that lock up the CPU and IO because they never worked in a multi-threaded networked environment. We both know that CIG most likely does not have a professional on board that has any experience with real networking applications as evident by the state of the Alpha. They might have some networking guys from CryTek but that stuff is as you said trivial compared to a MMO environment and the heavy use of XML is kind of showing how inexperienced they are.

It will be really fun to watch this from a technical perspective. So far i have nto seen anything that would impress me. The whole Alpha is basically a CryEngine mod with some really bad code hacks that will bite them in the rear end later on.

TL;DR
Back in the olden days! Get off my kernel young code monkeys!

EDIT: Catte tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

VealCutlet posted:

My contribution is one of my brothers greyhounds sleeping back when we still lived together:

E: He won a fair few races too, now he loving OWNS the couch.

Awww. Ours doesn't like to climb up on furniture thankfully, we just keep beds on each floor for his highness.

He does not qualify as marine life though.

Stood there for like five minutes not knowing what hellscape we had let him enter before he finally tried to find a way out of the pool.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

gently caress YEAH. Derek "Internet Von Clausewitz" Smart gonna rip some anuses and I'm fully torqued about it.

Would you say, ohhhhhh, I dunno... RIPPED TO THE TITS about it?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

You're one of my faves Sami, I'll never quit you.

Good.

Because you complete me.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I base my assumptions on the quality of a game by watching gameplay and thinking to myself "Does this look fun?"

Case in point. I watched about ten minutes of Grow Home and bought it immediately and played it until I beat it.

Watching SC I can't help but still be looking for the fun. You can't add in fun after the base mechanics are in. Maybe you can but it can't be easy. The core mechanics should be fun already. Grow Home would be fun if BUD was stuck in a box with a few enemies and a jet pack. Not for long but it would be fun.

Where is the fun, CIG?

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Please go back to posting cattes, so I can compete. I really want a dog, but I need a house, not a 1200 sq ft condo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gurzi is doing Mars' work

Also, who the hell hates Eonwe so drat much? Go outside and take a breather, mate!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

uh big deal does Frontier have any doors like this?!?

https://twitter.com/Devourlick/status/720789455775395840

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sidelines? This is the top of the loving trenches man. I'm in the jungle, wading through snow with my wetsuit on

Capping the CIGgies. Next we wipe out their RH furnished hootchs, right?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

From Bensday with Batgirl & Ben episode 45
Mar 9, 2016

Q: What's the difference between stealth and stealthy in the Star Citizen universe?

A: Uhm well in this particular case its, (inaudible), in, (inaudible) (something) Star Citizen universe there's probably no practical difference, there (mumble) probably different levels of stealth and so on, uhm, in terms of SPACECRAFT DESIGN it's *INTENT*. Uhm... the SABRE is... it's a modern military dogfighter it's the HOT NEW, uh, NEW HOTNESS... SPACECRAFT and the idea there is... is... you know it's our equivalent of the F22 or the F35 it's... it's the NEW THING and it INCORPORATES you know... all the advances in STEALTH that have been made from the 1970s, 1980s, and uh, it does them, as part of being a FIGHTER so it is a FIGHTER that is STEALTH. Ah... hold on just a moment...

Man, if you need to bring back the Ming shtick to keep your sanity intact after wading through THAT poo poo all the time, well, Samizdata would be pleased.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

flyboi posted:

Oh and a link I forgot - if you want to see the kind of hardware to run something on the fidelity scale multiply Eve's setup by 10

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/

That is some beefy hardware! Amazing what they can put into 2/3U these days. I nearly died when i saw this baby, cramming 128 GPU's into a rack incl. switches. Soooo sexy!

What are the chances that if this gets delivered to CIG LA, Croberts tries to plug it into a regular outlet. "Can someone bring me an adapter for this server?"

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 15, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Ooh, do me. I wanna see my notes.

I am sure his notes on me pretty much read something like "GIANT dork. Despite all evidence, thinks he's funny."

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Every dollar on the game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it kills me that shitizens are ok with this

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wafflz posted:

They dream of having their own custom wank pod doors like that and want to live vicariously, so it is A-OK

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben could fit through those awesome doors?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

How about the Family Matters Theme Song? Mostly piano and drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftLhANQxX0s

Full House might be funny too "Everywhere you look theres a parp that needs you"

Now you're picking a guy out of my vocal range and yech those songs are awful.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Wafflz posted:

Just par for the course for game development. Didn't you know?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Just par for the course for game development. Didn't you know?

Sorry, I don't know anything about game development.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Also, I've started to keep files on everyone's animal posting. People who post creatures I find unpleasing go in my "first against the wall once I'm the ruler of the world" folder.

Not that that matters, as I will beat you there as soon as my Kickstarter launches.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF4pF0kY-4c I guess it probably needs some metal and stuff, but the combat system's working well enough that we're letting the guy who wrote it sell it. Whadda think?

I know, I know, very different type of thing, but I figured you guys could use some trees and nature.
Developing an enemy AI that aggros properly wasn't all that hard, but, you know, it's fun.

Niiiiiiiice, but if I wanted outside, I would GO outside, not game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Well and being morons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wafflz posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to Daikatana and the penthouse studios.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TTerrible posted:

This is the Star Citizen threadWe are Goons, friend. We have a different baseline of crazy.

FTFY. I should get paid to do all this editing.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ewe2 posted:

Now you're picking a guy out of my vocal range and yech those songs are awful.

So is star citizen

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

didn't realise this was a wiki list but it's got some great stories going on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

G0RF posted:

It's a quick aside to Ben - about deleting footage of "our bag joke" from that episode.

I will find the timestamp because it's frankly surreal when you stop and consider what's happening. Deleting the affair was not that surprising-- as noted at the time, the optics were terrible and you needn't be following the daily tv show unfolding here to recognize it.

But the desire to call quick attention to the Orwellian deletion so that it might be re-contextualized -- for critics, perhaps especially goons -- as just a little joke between friends? It's very much like getting on a livestream after years of explicitly NOT admitting you're married to the boss and allegedly coercing employees into saying nothing about it under penalty of termination and then, when it became impossible to keep up the lie, just casually mentioning on a company livestream before a big crowd, "yes Chris is my husband it's not a secret".

We've always been a war with Eastasia.

It is real! So watching this thanks for this, another amazing write up. :)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

$140 for a ship that doesn't exist yet for a purpose that doesn't exist yet for a game that is 95% non existent yet and 5% crap and has already raised far more funds that were supposedly needed and shitizens genuinely think big publishers are greedy. There isn''t enough :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: in the world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi guys sorry I fell behind the thread again, but I was busy earning my shillizenship.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lazorexplosion posted:

$140 for a ship that doesn't exist yet for a purpose that doesn't exist yet for a game that is 95% non existent yet and 5% crap and has already raised far more funds that were supposedly needed and shitizens genuinely think big publishers are greedy. There isn''t enough :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: :ironicat: in the world.

they got some cool new doors though

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

lazorexplosion posted:

Thanks for summarising 3200 pages and six months of my life.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I can imagine a Sea Cucumber being up for it

The thread is good again as of this post thank you for the comedy :pgabz:

I'm assuming there aren't more insufferable 6 paragraph posts about who-gives-a-gently caress between now and the last post

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

E:D's cool-game-stuff announcement and CIG's new-loving-door announcement. Unreal.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

lazorexplosion posted:

If anyone tells you they're going to "revolutionize" game development or PC gaming in general, back away slowly.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Google Butt posted:

you're an adult?

fixed.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Wafflz posted:

i look forward to reading the hilarious justification responses from the shitizens as to why this is needed.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Goobs posted:

i look forward to reading the hilarious justification responses from the shitizens as to why this is needed.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Langosta Paleface posted:

E:D's cool-game-stuff announcement and CIG's new-loving-door announcement. Unreal.

I look forward to a surprise big announcement on RtV tomorrow as they once again badly attempt to grasp for relevance

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
obviously it's to study the operation of a working door in order to increase fidelity of all doors in their game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

If it doesn't have something to do with fixing or repairing your jpegs they will have fallen out of their routine, which I can only assume means a collapse would follow shortly. And I would praise the heavens.

• Locked thread