Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zurai posted:

Yes, but again it's an extremely specific party. You need to have Fran's SSB, Auron's SSB, and either Cleansing Strike or Heroic Harmony to exceed the debuff soft cap. In the future it gets a little easier with another Full Breakdown (Faris's BSB), two more ID 610 -50% debuffs (Fang and Cait Sith each get one), and a new stacking Attack debuff with Setzer's SSB.

Basically though, without one, the other, or both of Banishing Blade or Fixed Dice, you won't hit any debuff soft cap, and even with them you still need to pack your debuffs to the gills to get there.

EDIT: Also, pulled Excalibur-6. Woot! Welcome to the team on a semi-permanent rotating basis, Celes! I promise I'll keep Snowstorm Strike for you to abuse.

Not really? You can swap out Fran's SSB with just Full Break or Multi Break, since they don't stack anyway. You still need two of three specific SBs, but it's not as tight as one might think.

Also just ran Chadarnook and she is apparently NOT weak to Fire, despite her story versions. She seems to have some bug with Summons; Ifrit wasn't doing anything to her. I just exited and I'm going to wait the 3 hours to run her again since I would have run out of hones.

Edgar is definitely MVP this set of bonus battles though. Blind Shell for Orthros and Saint Cross for Hidon and Chadarnook.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Dollar pull on Relm 2 got me Flame Mail. Yay.

I'll probably spend one last 50 Mythril on the Tactics banner, I should be able to make it if I stick to the Core dungeons.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

11 pull on Relm 2 got me cat ear hood, the SB owns and holy poo poo the magic on that thing :stare:

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Anyone know what the healing strength of this new Cure-raise ability is, compared to Curaja?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SmockJoc posted:

Anyone know what the healing strength of this new Cure-raise ability is, compared to Curaja?

Curaga level.

Generally not worth it to hone.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Curaise and Doppelblade can both safely be shattered since one is bad and the other takes extremely important orbs to hone ie. don't

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Figuring out Chadarnook. My initial thought is to have a Battle White Mage instead of my traditional black mage, since magic holy damage is required to make any headway in this battle. Eiko can take the healing with her Flute and someone like Mog or Yuna can take the position of Diaga-slinger. Agrias goes in with Banishing Strike and Saint Cross, used to trigger its Demon Form and to significantly fill up her SB bar to eventually get Cleansing Strike down. Bartz goes with the ol' Steal Power Lifesiphon combo. Undecided on my support, could go with Setzer for the synergy and ability to use my Rising Sun+, or just tote Ramza with Tailwind for extra support and give him my old Thunder Blade. I suppose being in the back row isn't going to help me anyway. I'm most worried about running out of steam, honestly.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ultimate cleared. 0 medals lost. 0 SLs, although I did have a scare when he switched back to Goddess form below 50% with the whole party about to throw attacks at him...just in time to get knocked right back out because Tyro smacked him with Saint Cross first.

Cloud (LV80) | Ace Striker | Soul Sabre++ (5*++ RS)/Red Jacket++ (4*++ RS)/Godo's Mask | Fira Strike R4/Lifesiphon R4 (SSB: Blade Beam)
Rinoa (LV80) | Blood of Espers | Magus Rod (5* RS))/Mystery Veil (5* RS)/Terra's Pendant (RS) | Firaja R4/Meteor R3 (SSB: Wishing Star)
Tyro (LV80) | Pride of the Red Wings | Zanetsuken++ (5*++ RS)/Red Jacket++ (4*++ RS)/Vossler's Gauntlet | Saint Cross R3/Full Break R2 (SB: Sentinel's Grimoire)
Red XIII (LV80) | Fist of Dawn | Dragon Claws (5* RS)/Crystal Helm++ (4*++RS)/Omega Badge | Magic Breakdown R4/Power Breakdown R3 (SSB: Stardust Ray)
Y'sholta (LV65) | Mako Might | Judgment Staff++ (5*++)/Royal Crown++ (4*++RS)/New Beginning Sphere | Curaja R4/Diaga R4 (SBs: Stoneskin II; Medica II)

RW: Shout

Not really much to say; I thought in Demon form he would be weak to Fire (otherwise Rinoa would be packing my R3 Alexander instead of the Firaja), but that ended up not being the case.

Rinoa was REALLY poor this fight; I forgot to switch to Devotion before the fight and didn't get a single Blood of Espers doublecast, and Chadarnook's RES appears to be ridiculously high for a boss with a somewhat hard to exploit elemental weakness: Rinoa had 467 MAG and was only doing 5.5k a shot with Firaja/Meteor.

Meanwhile, Tyro was doing ~17k with Saint Cross after Shout. On the Goddess form, which wasn't even WEAK to Holy. So the end result was that Tyro ended up doing more damage than anyone else in my party. :stare:

I might be ditching Rinoa in the very near future for ultra hard content if this keeps up.

EDIT: Actually worth noting that it wasn't just Chadnarnook who was abnormally resistant; the ++ fight was not taking 9999 from Meteor and the +++ fight wasn't even taking 8k; the RES creep is real; I would have hit 9999 in both cases if I had used Devotion instead of Blood of Espers though, whereas here that likely wouldn't be the case.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 15, 2016

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Wiped the floor with that ultimate. Just had tyro cast a Diaga on that demon form and then Agrias, Locke, and Gilgamesh went to town after Ramza shouted them. The thing didn't even make it back to the goddess form(or wait yes it did I just had a banishing strike queued up so it was there for like a split second). I like my new toys.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Is there a quick and easy way to tell which equipment has SBs other than to click and hold on it to view? Because apparently I've had a Soul Break weapon for White Mage for a while and didn't know it, and now I'm wondering if there's others I've missed and if there's an easier way than just checking each thing individually. There doesn't seem to be a way to filter "only SB equipment" in the menus.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
should I do a final 3-pull on FFT goons

I still don't have a non-generic relic from it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

the Orb of Zot posted:

EDIT: Actually worth noting that it wasn't just Chadnarnook who was abnormally resistant; the ++ fight was not taking 9999 from Meteor and the +++ fight wasn't even taking 8k; the RES creep is real; I would have hit 9999 in both cases if I had used Devotion instead of Blood of Espers though, whereas here that likely wouldn't be the case.

I feel like Summons are definitely the way to go - they were pulling their weight until Ultimate Chadarnook. Shiva/Bahamut for ++, Ifrit/Bahamut for +++.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

should I do a final 3-pull on FFT goons

I still don't have a non-generic relic from it

Pledge yr allegiance to the Valiant knife

PS for those doing Chadarnook, she transforms from Goddess to demon after 3 turns (but also does an aoe Confuse so knock her into demon with a holy attack) and then transforms back to Goddess immediately after her 5th turn. Use holy :siren:MAGIC:siren: damage to remove the demons physical immunity, you can use a holy physical attack on the Goddess to change the form at the start.

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 15, 2016

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Chadnarook was easily defeated by the might of pen and paper to keep track of when he's going to switch. Also Flower of Trabia is super good for this fight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not really? You can swap out Fran's SSB with just Full Break or Multi Break, since they don't stack anyway. You still need two of three specific SBs, but it's not as tight as one might think.

No, you can't. 1 * 0.85 * 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 = 0.35859375 or ~35.86% base stat. You need two of the three of the Full Breakdown B/SSBs, Auron's SSB, and Setzer's SSB.

EDIT: I believe you're missing the fact that Fran's SSB (and Faris's BSB) is a -40% Full Break effect. Full Break/Multi Break are -30%.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 15, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Zurai posted:

No, you can't. 1 * 0.85 * 0.75 * 0.75 * 0.75 = 0.35859375 or ~35.86% base stat. You need two of the three of the Full Breakdown B/SSBs, Auron's SSB, and Setzer's SSB.

EDIT: I believe you're missing the fact that Fran's SSB (and Faris's BSB) is a -40% Full Break effect. Full Break/Multi Break are -30%.

God, Faris's BSB looks so completely busted.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One last 3-pull on FFT it is... and three 3*s.

Man, gently caress this banner. That makes about 300 mithril for 2 generic 5*s and a whole bunch of hot garbage. I can't imagine having spent over $100 on that lol

Shishells
May 25, 2012

I don't really have any holy abilities to deal with this ulti. Does curaga work on him? I also have saint's cross but only r1, and nobody in my parties can really use Dia spells.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
What's that, Chadarnook? You want to sap everyone in my party? Say hello to M'lady Trepe and her new friend Relm. Bwahahahhahahaha.

I really SHOULD NOT have gone balls deep chasing Valiant Knife-fest, but that Chocobo Brush really turns Relm into a badass. Not to mention seeing her drop damage-cap Diagas on the ornery painting. :allears:

Ah, well, Basch Banner 1. Much like doing the right thing, I'm going to wave at you as you pass me by.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

My 100 gem pull on the second banner got me Celes SSB :stare:

I don't think I've ever had that happen before...only ever gotten 3 stars pretty much.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

FeralWraith posted:

What's that, Chadarnook? You want to sap everyone in my party? Say hello to M'lady Trepe and her new friend Relm. Bwahahahhahahaha.

I really SHOULD NOT have gone balls deep chasing Valiant Knife-fest, but that Chocobo Brush really turns Relm into a badass. Not to mention seeing her drop damage-cap Diagas on the ornery painting. :allears:

Ah, well, Basch Banner 1. Much like doing the right thing, I'm going to wave at you as you pass me by.

Is it worth pulling on that if I already have HotE access?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Which, Basch?

Probably not unless you're interested in trying to go all-in on holy damage shenanigans.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

the Orb of Zot posted:

Sorry, maybe just forgetting my abbreviations, but do you mean hymn of the faith or hand of the emperor? If you mean Hymn, then no, yours will work fine. If you mean Hand, then I don't really get the question.

If you meant pulling on Basch banner 1, I couldn't really say, I don't know what relics you have. Basch's shield is the same buff as Hand, but the shield has +Holy damage, so that's something.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FeralWraith posted:

Sorry, maybe just forgetting my abbreviations, but do you mean hymn of the faith or hand of the emperor? If you mean Hymn, then no, yours will work fine. If you mean Hand, then I don't really get the question.

Why would HotE mean Hymn of the Fayth? :confused:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Selphie's RM2 should count as a magic holy attack for making Chadarnook vulnerable, right? It's not preferable to a proper ability but I don't have many viable casters so if that'll open him up to my physical dudes it means I don't have to worry about hones or giving up on mitigation to carry a holy spell.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 15, 2016

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Hell yes, dollar pull got maduins horn.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Aaaaaaaaaaand I just managed to beat Gafgarion as a level 42-ish party. Agrias with a Defender was the MVP. I had tried this about 2 levels earlier with a RW Sentinel's Grimoire, and while the fight lasted a while, I wasn't able to take down Gafgarion before his backrow shenanigans ran out my Curagas and Wall duration. Came back with a RW Shout, though, and killed him before he could backrow twice.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

The Mattybee posted:

Why would HotE mean Hymn of the Fayth? :confused:

Figured maybe he made a mistype. Was worth asking, anyway.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If you have Hymn of the Emperor (sic) then Basch's shield isn't that necessary. On the other hand, that banner still has Fran's Full Breakdown SSB and Balthier's overhyped dealie, so it's not like the Platinum Shield is the only chaser on that first banner.

Ultimate Chowderneck wasn't too bad; had a few S/Ls due to stupidity or bad counterattack timing, but I figure having 4 lightning-resist accessories (Necrophobe Ward, Bolt Ring VII, Bolt Armlet, and Coral Ring) helped a bit, too. Ultimately mastered with full medals.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ultimate Chadarnook was pretty simple! A bit rough in the beginning but once Cleansing Strike and the Protect from Tailwind went up, he was a pussycat. My RW wasn't even a Wall, it was Garnet's Divine Guardian for Haste and a stacking Resistance buff on top of that, plus a way to heal the Sap from Poltergeist. Bartz throwing out like two Trueblades of Legend in succession didn't hurt, either. Yeah. This is gonna work out just fine in the future.

I lost only one medal, for Damage Taken. This is the first time I've ever beat an Ultimate with medals to spare. I'm so much stronger than I was before the Kaiser Shield, it's crazy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
100 gem pull got me another 3* rod, I think I've gotten 8 or 9 of them already too. At this point the $1 pulls are just an idiot tax since they only ever give me 3* trash.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Do the ++ orb dailies have any pattern of preferential orb drops (like the way the + dailies have particular greater-orb drops from magic pots)?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

flowinprose posted:

Do the ++ orb dailies have any pattern of preferential orb drops (like the way the + dailies have particular greater-orb drops from magic pots)?

It doesn't matter since you always wanna complete them for the extra orbs and Greens, now.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

100 gem pull got me another 3* rod, I think I've gotten 8 or 9 of them already too. At this point the $1 pulls are just an idiot tax since they only ever give me 3* trash.

Yeah. So far I'm 0/8 on single pulls (30 mythril 200 gems) for FFVI. Jesus. My only synergy weapons are Soul Sabre (Celes' wind attack one) and Sniper (5* no SB). Could really use...anything... :(

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Beat Chadarnook on my first try (though I did have to S/L after I mistimed the second SG) with no medals lost! :woop:

RW: Sentinel's Grimoire

I misread the conditions for this battle and thought you had to hit Chadarnook with holy magic after EVERY transformation (you only need to hit him once with holy magic in the battle to permanently remove his invulnerability to physical attacks) so I brought too much holy magic. Having Yuna with Diara chipping away at 3k a pop didn't bring much to the battle. If I had to do it over again I'd probably switch out Diara with Shellaga, or maybe swap Lenna out completely for another hitter. Sazh has Boon which helps out but I'd rather bring Shellaga and have him use Caltrop Bomb as a poor man's Shout (the game REALLY wants me to use Sazh for support).

Also, make sure to get all of your walls/protectaga/shellaga up in the first goddess phase before hitting her with holy magic. If you make Chadarnook a demon too soon you can get unlucky and get hit with some nasty AoE magic before everything is up. Saint's Cross was very useful as Steiner (344 ATK) was hitting for over 7k/hit with it. I'd suggest saving 1 or 2 Saint's Cross for after Chadarnook is below 50% as he starts using Poltergeist (AoE Sap) against your party. Straight up physical damage didn't do too much. With Valiant Knife Locke (469 ATK) was only hitting for about 2.6k/hit, and only about 3.3k/hit after Caltrop Bomb.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 15, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Had to S/L once because I miscounted the demon's attacks and hit the Goddess with a non-elemental attack, resulting in her putting everyone to sleep. Then she attacked Shadow, who has an instant-death causing weapon, so I didn't feel like starting to hit people awake with him. Otherwise things went very smoothly, but I've gotten crazy lucky lately so that's not saying too much. (Don't take this as me forgiving you though, game. I'm still way below average draw rates, so keep the luck coming!)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hm, will have to re-do Chadarnook; took too long to kill her in the Weak Phase and got Poltergeist three times. Going to bring in Auron and Gilgamesh instead of Edgar and Quistis and swap SG for Shout and see how that goes.

That 1730 RES in Demon Form is definitely an obstacle though, Yuna's Diagas were only hitting for about 5.5k.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 15, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

Balthier's overhyped

do not speak of my boy so familiarly

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Chardonnay dead, although I swapped in terra where lightning usually sits (her sb is quite useless in this battle). Firaja hit for 7000 with 410+ magic, but I had her rolling diara to force change the demon form. Ramza with banishing strike hit for 9999, and tyro was hitting with saints for 19998 which was amazing. Three consecutive desperados sealed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
It feels like a tremendous proof of concept to down all of the bonus battles without having anyone with Cure magic. Mastered Chadarnook with all medals and only had to Tailwind once or twice.

• Locked thread