Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the one where everyone crashed at the start was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Possibly Chicken posted:

We've had more good then bad races this year imo. Texas was the only pretty boring one, but when has it ever been good?

Yeah, Texas is so fast that you're gonna get aero problems regardless.

edit: You're not going to get amazing racing every week, but you just want a package that can facilitate that more than hinder it. Gen 4 cars had a package that could race really well in the right circumstances, and as pointed out by Alan Post the COT cars did away with that for a while, and so far this year it's looking like you could get a good race when the stars align.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

A good post.

To be fair though? The TV coverage did indeed make it very bearable to watch. Guys like Squier, Gold, Jenkins, Baker, Jarrett and BP were almost ARTISTS in keeping someone tuned in at times.

That's a fair point, but I'd argue that the races themselves were equally (or possibly more) as terrible as races today.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LordPants posted:

Yeah, Texas is so fast that you're gonna get aero problems regardless.

edit: You're not going to get amazing racing every week, but you just want a package that can facilitate that more than hinder it. Gen 4 cars had a package that could race really well in the right circumstances, and as pointed out by Alan Post the COT cars did away with that for a while, and so far this year it's looking like you could get a good race when the stars align.

it's not even like a "stars align" thing, it was just like, loving mind-numbing to see every race turn into cars spaced exactly one second apart because A) they're all the same so performance differentials are minimal, and B) they're so aero-dependent that you need a massively better car to actually get close, which is a loving problem when combined with point A

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

VikingSkull posted:

That's a fair point, but I'd argue that the races themselves were equally (or possibly more) as terrible as races today.

Cue the Michigan race from the 80s we watched on cytube where they cut from green flag racing to show a 15 minute feature story on Darrell Waltrip's bible study group.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Possibly Chicken posted:

Cue the Michigan race from the 80s we watched on cytube where they cut from green flag racing to show a 15 minute feature story on Darrell Waltrip's bible study group.

loving Benny and Ned had a piece (weekly) about Benny wearing silly hats and answering fan mail

NASCAR races have always sucked rear end

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

it's not even like a "stars align" thing, it was just like, loving mind-numbing to see every race turn into cars spaced exactly one second apart because A) they're all the same so performance differentials are minimal, and B) they're so aero-dependent that you need a massively better car to actually get close, which is a loving problem when combined with point A

Yeah, the COT really killed me enthusiasm for NASCAR back in the day. A real boner killer.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the best part of the COT was the wing

fans like us: "I think that wing causes the cars to flip"

NASCAR: "no, you're crazy"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite part is that nobody in the press was allowed to say it raced like poo poo until the Gen6, when all of a sudden everyone acted like they were saying the CoT like poo poo all along, and that NASCAR was so smart to change it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/720695745033187328

https://twitter.com/Willie_Blanton/status/720494054434291712

https://twitter.com/dionisi_cj/status/719605846980825090

These some good-rear end retro schemes, y'all.

Danica also has one, but it looks more like the color pallet for a modern paint catalog.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Alain Post posted:

My favorite part is that nobody in the press was allowed to say it raced like poo poo until the Gen6, when all of a sudden everyone acted like they were saying the CoT like poo poo all along, and that NASCAR was so smart to change it.

brian_france.txt

Also the same thing with the top-35 rule. "Good thing we got rid of that convoluted provisional system."

Same people a few years later: "Good thing they're bringing back provisionals. The fastest cars should start every week."

Same people a few years later: "Good thing we got franchising."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have kind of hilariously turned around on the original chase format. I really like the idea of having to run well across a bunch of different tracks* over the course of a season to qualify for the chase not just "win at talledega"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I just love how the tandem draft revolution produced the first interesting restrictor race in a decade or more and NASCAR's immediate response was "aww hell naw"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shame on an IGA posted:

I just love how the tandem draft revolution produced the first interesting restrictor race in a decade or more and NASCAR's immediate response was "aww hell naw"

Yeah the last one was.. I wanna say that 500 that Junior won where there was just like a pack of 8 cars at the front instead of the usual wall. But then again there was so many shenanigans with those DEI Restrictor cars.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.deerfieldraceway.com/#!about/c16fk

So this is a thing that exists near me.

Asking Viking and Boomer, what weekends should I see? (I know "ALL OF THEM", but I'm working a lot of saturday nights lately.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/720695745033187328

https://twitter.com/Willie_Blanton/status/720494054434291712

https://twitter.com/dionisi_cj/status/719605846980825090

These some good-rear end retro schemes, y'all.

Danica also has one, but it looks more like the color pallet for a modern paint catalog.

Those all loving suck.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

shame on an IGA posted:

this was the thread's reaction, too, it was hilarious

I was like, "gently caress y'all this rules"

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.deerfieldraceway.com/#!about/c16fk

So this is a thing that exists near me.

Asking Viking and Boomer, what weekends should I see? (I know "ALL OF THEM", but I'm working a lot of saturday nights lately.)

7/16, these guys are there

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 15, 2016

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The first race the tandem draft went away gave Matt Kenseth his 2nd Daytona 500.

"B-but my packs DALE wouldn't of liked this!"

I mean this is what I'm talking about here true pack racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeH1NoYMA2w

Not this dumb poo poo dale wouldn't of liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry4nyYCiM98

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 15, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no plates

ECU_Drummer
Jul 8, 2012
Has this thing been discussed yet?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

ECU_Drummer posted:

Has this thing been discussed yet?

Holy loving poo poo. I've been to two races at Bristol and I never had the thought, "I hate being able to see the entire race happening at once. I'd prefer just to see bits and pieces of the race on a giant floating screen."

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
It's for football. I realize that doesn't make sense.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
they are secretly turning Bristol into a giant laser weapon IMO

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

VikingSkull posted:

Now that you say so...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Lord Crapulus posted:

I mean, it does, when you consider the football game they'll be playing there.

I for one would be terrified to stand under that thing.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Roll Vols

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

That was my first thought too. That thing is huge.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Remember when they used a cable-suspended camera and it failed and fell into the race and then they stopped using it?

:unsmigghh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lol

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

kidcoelacanth posted:

I mean, it does, when you consider the football game they'll be playing there.

When I read about that, I assumed it was just for football instead of being a permanent thing. 1/2 mile track is a really odd choice for a jumbotron.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

VikingSkull posted:

The last 24 races have not been really exciting.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 15, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

With how well FOX's cable-cam went during the 600 a couple years ago, I am fully expecting that thing to crush a bunch of haulers during the race this weekend, goring fans in the path of the steel cables Metalocalypse-style on its way down.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
God drat :stare:

ECU_Drummer
Jul 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

With how well FOX's cable-cam went during the 600 a couple years ago, I am fully expecting that thing to crush a bunch of haulers during the race this weekend, goring fans in the path of the steel cables Metalocalypse-style on its way down.

Can't loving wait.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Lord Crapulus posted:

Speaking of which, FOX just said they have not only sold all the seats for that game, but there's a waiting list of more than 30,000 people.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's still plenty of seats for Sunday.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Yes, how dare he put on this crude display instead of reiterating "Well, we got a good car, I'm real proud of my guys" for the hundredth time like everyone else does.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Peanut President posted:

Those all loving suck.

I like the Busch car :toot:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh cool, those dumb people that got all upset when Marshawn Lynch didn't want to talk to reporters are in NASCAR too

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LASTCAR posted:

Speaking of which, FOX just said they have not only sold all the seats for that game, but there's a waiting list of more than 30,000 people.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there's still plenty of seats for Sunday.

Something, something "Remember when races there used to have a 20,000-strong waiting list?"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

keevo posted:

God drat :stare:

Why the gently caress do tracks think their audio systems need to compete with the cars? I don't give a poo poo about the trackside announcer.

• Locked thread