Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"It acts as a gateway into the homestuck canon"
That's why these four kids who went into it are especially homestuck in particular. They're inside the comic, which the other kids who didn't go... into the ...

what the hell is this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
im gonna enter the gateway to the homestuck canon, and get eviscerated by a HUGE skeleton laser.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Those words just mean "they literally escaped the comic". I think it makes some sense given that the Plothole clearly acts in a metafictional way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The thing with these analyses is this: you can justify and explain and figure it out all you want. it landed wrong as delivered, though, and that's what counts.

people rewrite the star wars prequels and assemble the pieces into something resembling emotionally resonant stories. that doesn't mean the movies themselves are any better. it's the same here.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Enourmo posted:

The thing with these analyses is this: you can justify and explain and figure it out all you want. it landed wrong as delivered, though, and that's what counts.

people rewrite the star wars prequels and assemble the pieces into something resembling emotionally resonant stories. that doesn't mean the movies themselves are any better. it's the same here.

Except that the star wars prequel rewrites require massive amounts of stretching and generally aren't supported by the text at all.

Whereas my explanation is correct and 100% supported by the text.

If you wanna talk about how it landed, that's a whole other issue. Doesn't change the work's message.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Spellman posted:

I agree that Dave's situation is so absurd that 180ing into a drama is odd, and tonally inconsistent. But not necessarily a bad thing, funny stories that end up rolling out a dark spin in the latter half are some of my favorite types of stories.

Sure, but only when they get dark in very specific ways. Ways that do not include teen drama. Getting more violent, less happy-go-lucky, introducing serious consequences for actions? Sure. Trying to add serious, realistic psychological problems and specifically abusive backgrounds (and yes, this is an addition, if a retroactive one, because it is only when the tone shifts that a ridiculous and unrealistic background becomes framed as a thing that could happen to you, dear teen reader) to your inherently unrealistic, ridiculous characters? Nah.

Magres posted:

nah cause the epilogue isnt part of the story of homestuck

yes it is

it is part of the comic, so it is part of homestuck

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Post-mortem analysis should add to the reader's understanding, not be necessary for it, IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The newspost mentioned that he wasn't sure what form the epilogue would take. It probably won't be on the website as part of the comic, I imagine it would be a Paradox Space or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GeneX posted:

yes it is

it is part of the comic, so it is part of homestuck

Not if it's reached at http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=7

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

In other words, by "Epilogue" he means "Sequel" :getin:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Enourmo posted:

It depends. Some of the best jokes are the ones where the other person has to wait a bit and then you realize just how hard you've been owned. If that Tumblr person is right, I have been owned big-time and it's magnificent.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The newspost mentioned that he wasn't sure what form the epilogue would take. It probably won't be on the website as part of the comic, I imagine it would be a Paradox Space or something.

it is still canonical because it is specifically a continuation of the homestuck story, which means it is, by definition, a part of the homestuck narrative

E: it might not be a literal part of the homestuck section of the mspa website, but that can also be said for, say, the flashes hosted on youtube

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OK, smart guy, what if it's a visual novel instead of a comic??

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Post-mortem analysis should add to the reader's understanding, not be necessary for it, IMO.

It's fair to have that as a personal preference, but...

Andrew Hussie posted:

The thing is, Homestuck is both a story and a puzzle, by design and by definition. If asked to define it, “a story that’s also a puzzle” is as close to true as any answer I’d give.

Should all entertainment be like that? No way. Butsomething should be like that, because something like that should exist. That’s why puzzles exist, because puzzles are cool sometimes, and are challenging. We don’t go up to a jigsaw puzzle and go, “why the gently caress is this in so many different PIECES, what kind of IDIOT would break this nice picture into TINY LITTLE BITS?!!” Nor do we want all of our nice pictures broken into bits like that. Some we just want to hang on walls and look at.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i want to hang homestuck on my wall and look at it, and then i want to punch a hole in the wall, and use the hole to climb out of my house, so i am no longer stuck at home

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All of this was foreshadowed by Wizardy Herbert, a story about kids stuck inside a story trying to escape it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

OK, smart guy, what if it's a visual novel instead of a comic??

then homestuck will truly have crossed into the anime destiny it only embraced at its very end

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WAR FOOT posted:

that's the beauty of the narrative being ours now, you can make your own insult chart, you GOBBLING NOOK PASSAGE.

i don't think i'm ready for quite that much free will

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

In other words, by "Epilogue" he means "Sequel" :getin:

Terezi quest 2000: Armageddon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Terezi quest 2000: Armageddon.

You are one of the top blind seers in Can City.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think this Tumblr post is genius and actually explains the ending perfectly. http://not-terezi-pyrope.tumblr.com/post/142820056331/how-lord-englishs-defeat-was-achieved

MonsieurChoc posted:

All of this was foreshadowed by Wizardy Herbert, a story about kids stuck inside a story trying to escape it.
I like this a bunch

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I liked Homestuck's ending. It made metatextual sense. If your complaint is that it shouldn't require metatext to understand, well, that kinda is at odds with Homestuck's very nature. It intentionally includes links to specific youtube videos as in-story-canon. Like, if that exact youtube link for the Miracles music video ever stops working... what then? SBaHJ is considered a distinct comic that complements Homestuck. And here we all are, discussing and trying to figure out what events were depicted in a literal sense. Don't forget that one of the final pages before the finale flashes was an invocation for the readership to flood the internet with Homestuck selfies. It's always messed with metatextual elements in weird ways. Hell, I think the story of Cascade crashing Newgrounds servers is itself a part of Homestuck's story. At the time, it felt like the big climactic moment we were waiting for was being denied. Reading it archivally definitely is a different experience than following it along as it released.

I think everything said about [S] Game Over through the retcon being the "climax" of Homestuck was right. It really all started to fit together around then. Don't forget about the incredible flash video, [S] MSPA Reader: Mental Breakdown. I've watched that a bunch of times simply because it recaptured the earlier Homestuck style bullshit time loops, and was a fitting capstone and summary of the most circuitous route through paradox space ever taken. But we finally see Lil Cal's origins, entire history, and the nature of the entity inhabiting the doll. [S] Mental Breakdown was the REAL ending to Caliborn's masterpiece. Cal originated when SBURB had to duplicate a meteor with Dirk and Cal on it. The duplicate Juju got sent to Alpha Session Dirk, as an empty husk that would become the very much non-empty doll it was itself duplicated from.

There was a reason why Caliborn's masterpiece felt so climactic to me. That's because it WAS the climax, in terms of "irreverent timey wimey shenanigans that require explanation." Everything after that is the denouement, the curtains closing on the final battles. Lord English is eternally trapped inside the Black Hole with no more clockwork majjykks powers (which I once believed to basically be "giant space snake pheromones". Maybe they still are, but trapped in the black hole, he was cut off from whatever power source gave giant space snakes their sex powers).

I would write this by including links to specific pages in Homestuck, but I'm lazy right now.

Everything leading up to Collide was actually everything I really wanted in a Homestuck ending, except we got it right before the end. It was their hopes and dreams for what would happen after the narrative itself concludes. as well as significant personal moments

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
One last thing before I go to bed: I found this explanation for the ending which is pretty airtight - if you combine this plot explanation with the thematic explanation Arsenic Lupin just posted, it pretty much encapsulates & explains the ending completely.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Or the kids all died before they opened the door.

You want to know the problem with fan explanations in lieu of an actual ending? The sentence I wrote above is just as correct as any overwrought delve into what the fan in question has deemed the theme.

It's possible to justify it to oneself, but "this justifies it! See?!" means nothing, because the work itself has none of the justifications.

My point is that the ending is vague to the point of meaninglessness, and all these attempts at justifying it insert themes, details, and implications that are at best entirely subjective and at worse completely absent.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 15, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lupus Rufus posted:

I liked Homestuck's ending. It made metatextual sense. If your complaint is that it shouldn't require metatext to understand, well, that kinda is at odds with Homestuck's very nature. It intentionally includes links to specific youtube videos as in-story-canon. Like, if that exact youtube link for the Miracles music video ever stops working... what then?

Oh poo poo. That would be tragic for a lot of reasons.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks for linking that agian I had forgotten caliborn's best line:

quote:

IT'S NOT A CONTEST. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF PITIFUL EMOTION CHILDREN, AND I AM A PREMIER, INVINCIBLE TITAN OF ROUGHHOUSE BRUTALITY.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
The worst part, honestly, is that a subjective open-ended ending is fine and well and good.

But we got a very clear cut concise ending. It was not some vague abstract ending about the nature of life and maturity and all that poo poo. It was very much a "happy ending". Everyone got their new universe and everything.

Open endings that only really work when there's no right answer to "Well, THEN what happened?" Because we have one, and it's "they walked through the door and made their new world and everyone lived happily ever after despite Lord English not being dealt with as far as anyone knows."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, no lesbians turned into a racecar while the world exploded.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like what even was the point of every other act if not this

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GeneX posted:

You want to know the problem with fan explanations in lieu of an actual ending? The sentence I wrote above is just as correct as any overwrought delve into what the fan in question has deemed the theme.

It's possible to justify it to oneself, but "this justifies it! See?!" means nothing, because the work itself has none of the justifications.

My point is that the ending is vague to the point of meaninglessness, and all these attempts at justifying it insert themes, details, and implications that are at best entirely subjective and at worse completely absent.

A lot of these explanations are sensible because of ambiguous visual signals. I never thought there was any "shockwave" encompassing the kids and/or their "channeled power" it just looks like dramatic anime dust and ground-cracking effects from this huge powerful thing getting put into play. There's nothing clearly indicating that it is or is not. So I guess it could be what that explanation says, or it might not be?? Then there's some that aren't ambiguous in terms of what they mean, but still leave a lot unknown. Like cue ball -> 8 ball -> pocket, yeah, that's what it means but it doesn't necessarily show how it happens.

And as long as we're reading into things like this... it's still honestly just too suspicious to me that a door forms on the juju and then in the next shot of the lilypad, the Sburb logo flips around to look exactly like the juju and form a door exactly where the opposite side of the door on the juju is.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
it's just my opinion but if there needs to be thousands of words and frame by frame analysis of an ending to a comic largely about kids talking poo poo, then the ending wasn't really clear or appreciated, hth

yes, Homestuck was metatextual, but really, the majority of the comic and where the fanbase largely comes from is the cast interacting

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are you implying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I interpreted Act 7 to mean that Vriska lives, finds her way into this universe, and marries me.

Just as valid as any other religion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite new word filter

(I agree with you but it's still funny)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think most elements of this ending would work well as the finale of Act 5 because the exiles story had come to a boil, and they talked extensively about how the creation of the new universe would work with the frogs and all that. Because for over half of this comic you wonder if the exiles story has been abandoned, but it all makes sense, them interacting with the kids, if they were getting a slice of the reward for building the new universe.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

hahahahaha that is amazing, I hadn't seen that one yet. I'd only seen cuck

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

hahahahaha that is amazing, I hadn't seen that one yet. I'd only seen cuck

im gay is another one

cucked is an even better one

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

GeneX posted:

im gay is another one

cucked is an even better one

first they came for im gay and then there was nobody to come for me at all

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Regy Rusty posted:

My favorite new word filter

(I agree with you but it's still funny)

(raises hand) What was that originally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

GeneX posted:

If they're dead, how do they get to Caliborn's Masterpiece?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(raises hand) What was that originally?

Filters aren't applied until display, if you quote a post you'll see the original text.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 15, 2016