Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

that seems par for the course with haskell

e: i thought java was v bad, but after working with java i'd say it's thoroughly ok

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Barnyard Protein posted:

that's how I feel all the time when programming racket. it's so easy to slowly build up something that does something useful, then at the end have no clue how it works

same with me and embedded junk

my experience is in things that talk to databases and web browsers so this OS scheduler junk is magic to me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Notorious QIG posted:

and trainFromCsv() trains the network from a .csv

your point?

i really love it when the fiddly implementation details of reading a csv (do you use a library for this, or is yet-another-bespoke-csv-like-format?) occupy the same space as my machine-learning neural net stuff. i can think of no reason you'd ever want to separate those two wildly distinct concepts. none at all.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jabor posted:

i really love it when the fiddly implementation details of reading a csv (do you use a library for this, or is yet-another-bespoke-csv-like-format?) occupy the same space as my machine-learning neural net stuff. i can think of no reason you'd ever want to separate those two wildly distinct concepts. none at all.
But of course, and it's perfectly reasonable to have two separate functions for training your machine from CSVs and from XML, or to completely rewrite your machine-training function because you have a new data format.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am doing code things again in free time

yosbbs is back and i am going to hack on it

rabbitmq and memcached may be involved

D:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I used 0mq once

it was nice

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jabor posted:

it's straight up an stl-based csv reader and the main training loop is a function called propagate and a function called back propagate

it's v easy to extend to new formats

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish I could back propagate your posts

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

basically everything relating to distributed computation is in java or sometimes a java-based other language, i do not know why

they had a lot of work to do for distributed garbage collection (and oh god all these papers are the most terrifying thing in the world, while simultaneously being very boring) is my guess.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why not erlang

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
memcache deez nuts

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

penus de milo posted:

memcache deez nuts

:newlol:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

gonadic io posted:

What other programming experience do you have?

i have a lot of experience with python and ruby and i worked in embedded dev for a few years wriing C before that. and i wrote a java thing once for a computer networking class once to demonstrate some basic-bitch protocol that i cant remember

i think i am just going to look around github for something 'neat' in java with not that many locs because i am sure i could catch on fast once i get over my disgust (which probably stems from the fact that the first lang i tried to learn was java in like 1996 and i couldn't figure it out so instead i coded exclusively in mushClient until i finally took a computer programming course in high school)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

wish I could back propagate your posts

gently caress me im so owned

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious QIG posted:

again because it's a simple example to demonstrate the general gist of what im talking about

christ almighty do i have to write unit tests for example code too

you have to use "butt" and "fart" as your variable names or us terrible yospos programmers will think you're posting production code.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

did someone say fart?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

once my parser-linter works well enough i am going to create verilog++

and here I figured you were doing this to integrate clash with existing Verilog

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
So one of our services regularly sends us emails with the body and subject "null". Nobody wants to investigate.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

try saving your changes every once in a while. that happens automatically when you build. vs also has auto recover

yeah lol if you aren't subconsciously hitting save after each line of changes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eschaton posted:

and here I figured you were doing this to integrate clash with existing Verilog

clash scares me

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Bloody posted:

and also i have no idea what i am doing

plz don't share the fine print of my email sig

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

gonadic io posted:

So one of our services regularly sends us emails with the body and subject "null". Nobody wants to investigate.

setup a filter in outlook and move on. problem solved

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wheany posted:

you have to use "butt" and "fart" as your variable names or us terrible yospos programmers will think you're posting production code.

what if i write enterprise code for the fartbutt industry

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

YeOldeButchere posted:

setup a filter in outlook and move on. problem solved

thus solving the problem once and for all!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmao it turns out i am incredibly stupid. all i had to do to get current parser position is add a location <- getPosition line to my do blocks
now i have to refactor all of my data types to carry around their location i guess?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Wheany posted:

jokes on you guy, i use butt and fart in production

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

this forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have created a revolting clusterfuck of types and it is a mess

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious QIG posted:

are you hiring? i'm willing to relocate

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloody posted:

i have created a revolting clusterfuck

you're posts!!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Wheany posted:

are you hiring? i'm willing to relocate

we currently have job offerings on uranus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

that seems par for the course with haskell

e: i thought java was v bad, but after working with java i'd say it's thoroughly ok

java the language is ok but when added to the tools and frameworks its good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah lol if you aren't subconsciously hitting save after each line of changes

control + k, d
control + s

after typing anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Java is okay

I've never used Haskell

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Notorious QIG posted:

the evil fartbutt industrial complex

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just started using dropwizard for java and it seems good. about as easy as django or rails except you have to hit auto complete a bunch in your IDE.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

control + k, d
control + s

after typing anything

auto format can happen automagically now (VS2015?) whenever you close a curly or type a semicolon I think. another thing they stole from reshaper

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

today i learned that generating reports was so slow because the report function workflow was:
1. query the database for some extra information
2. use that info to insert a new row in a table called "report records"
3. query the database for the actual report info by pulling everything through the "report records" table (no info from this table is actually used in the report)
4. redundantly filter the records received by a bunch a parameters that were already used in the select

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Flat Daddy posted:

i just started using dropwizard for java and it seems good. about as easy as django or rails except you have to hit auto complete a bunch in your IDE.

use asp.net webapi instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

lmao it turns out i am incredibly stupid. all i had to do to get current parser position is add a location <- getPosition line to my do blocks
now i have to refactor all of my data types to carry around their location i guess?

i haven't paid a lot of attention to what you were doing, but in my toy compiler, during the parsing pass i instead had each data type's parse method return its error information (including location) to the caller so that the errors bubbled up the tree (which also inherently deduplicates redundant errors) and that way the root data type has a complete listing of the errors and their locations and you can just print and quit right there.

it sounds like you're thinking of storing your errors in place and then re traversing everything to actually output them, which is gonna add a constant factor of 2 to the work you're doing.

• Locked thread