Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Memento posted:

Was that the one with The Rock as a terrifyingly bad CG scorpion man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnVPUK-8P0M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That's the greatest thing I've ever seen

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I had forgotten all about that but I laughed like a loon when I first saw that scene

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vosloo: poo poo poo poo sorry I missed my cue, can we do another take, Stephen?
Sommers: We used all our budget on the Rock's eyebrow, so no.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:laffo: Hoooly poo poo I'd totally forgotten about the priest guy running over.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I saw The Scorpion King and in it The Rock is a pretty badass warrior in ancient Egypt and I realize that both of those movies take place in the same universe but uhh... does the movie ever explain why or how the hero ended up becoming a giant digital evil scorpion-God creature?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He gives his soul to Anubis to save himself. When he eventually does die he's made the guardian of the temple or whatever, and I guess gets upgraded.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Aphrodite posted:

He gives his soul to Anubis to save himself. When he eventually does die he's made the guardian of the temple or whatever, and I guess gets upgraded.

This sounds like a pretty fuckin' sweet deal all around.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Adequate posted:

This sounds like a pretty fuckin' sweet deal all around.

They frame it like it's a raw deal but you get to be an immortal scorpion centaur and what's not to love about that?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
They don't have wifi in the temple

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

AnonSpore posted:

They don't have wifi in the temple

But TripAdvisor said they did! Assholes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

God Hole posted:

I saw The Scorpion King and in it The Rock is a pretty badass warrior in ancient Egypt and I realize that both of those movies take place in the same universe but uhh... does the movie ever explain why or how the hero ended up becoming a giant digital evil scorpion-God creature?

They don't explain it in Scorpion King, which I love. The movie ends on a happy note, with everyone gathering around The Rock and going "Finally, a just king that will usher in an era of freedom and enlightenment" with the audience being fully aware that he will become a conquest-bound doofus who will sell his soul to Egyptian Satan at the drop of a helmet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of funny how they just kind of keep making Scorpion King movies. They even ended up with one that was a prequel to the first one. So it was a prequel to a prequel to a sequel.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Mummy Returns is great.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

sassassin posted:

they turned into terrible parents of an 8-10-year-old in like two years

also the "omg there's a huge wave of sand coming right for us but maybe flying will save us" scene was one of the most ridiculous in the original and they replicated it twice

i'm fresh off of just watching the original a few days ago and Returns just now

so there

sorry for contributing rationally irritating movie moments

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

sassassin posted:

Have you tried watching it recently?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sassassin posted:

gently caress you

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this? posted:

It's kind of funny how they just kind of keep making Scorpion King movies. They even ended up with one that was a prequel to the first one. So it was a prequel to a prequel to a sequel.

It also feels completely appropriate, as Scorpion King is exactly the kind of movie that should get a bunch of cheap DTV movies. It's basically Beastmaster.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FFT posted:

also the "omg there's a huge wave of sand coming right for us but maybe flying will save us" scene was one of the most ridiculous in the original and they replicated it twice

so there

I don't know who the gently caress thought audiences would want to see the exciting main characters of the first movie saddled down with a kid. Then in the third one they jumped ahead even more in time and the kid was fully grown up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FFT posted:

so there

I don't know who the gently caress thought audiences would want to see the exciting main characters of the first movie saddled down with a kid. Then in the third one they jumped ahead even more in time and the kid was fully grown up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Well Manicured Man posted:

Have you tried watching it recently?

Look, it had been 20 years since Raiders of the Lost Ark came out and Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be out for another few years. We were all thirsty for humorous action adventure romps and had to take what we were given.

Unbudgingprawn
Feb 13, 2008

Vulpes posted:

But TripAdvisor said they did! Assholes.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Guy Mann posted:

Look, it had been 20 years since Raiders of the Lost Ark came out and Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn't be out for another few years. We were all thirsty for humorous action adventure romps and had to take what we were given.

If you wanted a humorous action adventure romp, instead of watching The Mummy Returns you could have just watched The Mummy again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Mann posted:

You say that, but there is a definite line people drew as to how much utter crap they would put up with in their humorous action adventure romps.

It was a line drawn across a throat with a knife.

On an island.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I'm gonna be 100 percent honest and take the flak that comes with it, but I much prefer Cutthroat Island over any of them Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Well Manicured Man posted:

If you wanted a humorous action adventure romp, instead of watching The Mummy Returns you could have just watched The Mummy again.

The Mummy Again!?! (2017)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The drop in quality between The Mummy and The Mummy Returns was crazy. It's not like The Mummy is great cinema or anything but it's solidly made and really, really fun. The sequel just goes "bigger! BIGGER!" and loses everything that made the original so entertaining.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The drop in quality between The Mummy and The Mummy Returns was crazy. It's not like The Mummy is great cinema or anything but it's solidly made and really, really fun. The sequel just goes "bigger! BIGGER!" and loses everything that made the original so entertaining.

Did you... did you not see the giant-rear end scorpion-wrestler-centaur?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which was the one with the zombie pygmies?

"You two must sacrifice yourself so that I may live. You will be rewarded in heaven" *runs off screaming*

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

that was Returns.

thanks for reminding me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"You two must sacrifice yourself so that I may live. You will be rewarded in heaven" *runs off screaming*

Returns is hilarious and great.

The Mummy is also great. I'm glad they didn't make the same film again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh dear lord now Felicia day is being written as Black Widow. Who thought that was a good idea?

Edit: Apparently she has a doppleganger.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mister Nobody posted:

I'm gonna be 100 percent honest and take the flak that comes with it, but I much prefer Cutthroat Island over any of them Pirates of the Caribbean films.

That movie is dope as hell, and the Pirates films only wish they were as cool.

Plus the score owned too. So what if Klaus Badelt and Hans Zimmer did the music in those dumb Depp films, Cutthroat Island features a score written by the guy who did the music for Heartbreakers.

(coincidentally enough, John Debney also composed the music for The Scorpion King :laugh:)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Returns is hilarious and great.

The Mummy is also great. I'm glad they didn't make the same film again.

I like The Mummy movies, but I don't labour any illusions that they are any form of high cinema or actually all that good for that matter in regards to the sequels. But Brendan Fraser is a good actor and more believable as an action hero than, say, Bruce Willis. In fact, Fraser should be in the next Expendables.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

I like The Mummy movies, but I don't labour any illusions that they are any form of high cinema or actually all that good for that matter in regards to the sequels. But Brendan Fraser is a good actor and more believable as an action hero than, say, Bruce Willis. In fact, Fraser should be in the next Expendables.

If you like it, it's a good movie. The film has succeeded in entertaining you.

Any other definition of "good" in cinema is pretentious nonsense.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the best part of the mummy returns is the balloon guy

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Speaking of dumb movies based in Egypt, one of the things that bothered me about the all around terrible found footage horror movie The Pyramid was that in it, the main characters are exploring a newly discovered pyramid that had remained closed for thousands of years, and inside they discover mutant cats that had survived those thousands of years in their closed off ecosystem through cannibalism. Uh are you kidding me. You would run out of cats before even the third generation. Conservation of energy doesn't work like that.

Same thing with the 2009 horror film Pandorum (which despite its faults I actually liked). An interstellar space ship is crewed by and shipping the last remnants of humanity to a new habitable planet until a crazy crew member awakens portions of the human cargo from stasis and rules over them like a king for thousands of years. The humans are forced to cannibalize themselves and mutate into terrible creatures over that period within the space ship, but again, a closed of system like that would never be able to sustain itself for so long. Mammals just aren't that efficient.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Isn't The Mummy Returns the one that has him racing to the pyramid with his son before the sun could strike it, ignoring the fact that a rising sun behind them would mean that the shadows would be moving TOWARD them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mortanis posted:

Isn't The Mummy Returns the one that has him racing to the pyramid with his son before the sun could strike it, ignoring the fact that a rising sun behind them would mean that the shadows would be moving TOWARD them?

Magic did it