Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
This game is so incredible, FROM really knocked it out of the park. My sorcery guy is doing pretty well , compared to my knight I can almost relax exploring areas with him . I thought sorcery was supposed to be weak, is that only later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

So I got summoned to help with a boss and the host was wearing the Dancer of the Boreal Valley armor, but I have no idea where they got it from. Any ideas?

Handmaiden sells it after beating her, might need certain ashes but I don't think so.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well this forest is never going to loving end but I keep finding bonfires so I know I'm making progress.

I wish there was a sorcery merchant someplace.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm having way more success with invasions later in the game than I did at the start. Partly because I fixed my character, but also because people don't seem as likely to be hanging around with two phantoms 24/7. Granted they still usually have one, but that's way more manageable than 3.

Is there some gimmick run people are doing where they dress up as the master and use the katanna for the entire game? I've invaded a few people now wearing nothing but the rags. Bold as gently caress.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well this forest is never going to loving end but I keep finding bonfires so I know I'm making progress.

I wish there was a sorcery merchant someplace.

There's a sorcerer in a big ruin.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Since poise doesn't seem to help very much, is there much point in using heavy armors? High defense stats have always seemed underwhelming in this series.

Armor is useless compared to DS1 and 2. Poise is nonexistant even if you specifically build for it, and getting absorption over 30% without rings is pretty much impossible.

Just wear whatever looks nice and keeps you under 70%. 30% if you can.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Orv posted:

Handmaiden sells it after beating her, might need certain ashes but I don't think so.

And there it is, sweet, thanks. Also, yeah you don't need any new ashes for it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just beat Deacons of the Deep and then met Patches. Is there a way for me to raise the wall he tricks you with? Or is that later?

EDIT: Really enjoying the game so far. The areas are so dense.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 15, 2016

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where is Siegward's armor? I know I've seen it somewhere.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Philosopher King posted:

I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

Multiplayer is this sort of opt-in layer to what's otherwise a single player game.

You do a thing which sets you... unhollowed was the old term for it, but now it's called kindled or something? Anyway when you're in that state you can summon helpers, but you're also a target for hostile invasions. Risk-reward.

If you want to invade, there's a couple different ways. You can get an item that matches you up with someone to invade (or a version that lets them summon you for honour duels). There's one that will send you to help another player who's been invaded. There's one where you can help them go through a level and get rewards for fighting off invaders, but also you can backstab the host for a reward. There's one or two that are matched to a certain area- anyone in that area is eligible for invasion no matter their state (I think?).

But more passively, there's stuff like blood spots (see how another player died), ghosts (a glimpse at another player), and the asynchronous message system (put down a madlib message template, other people will see it or you see theirs).

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 15, 2016

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Os anyone else having trouble getting two co op allies in certain areas? The Crystal Sage and Abyss Watchers specifically.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How do you use the shriving stones?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Just beat Deacons of the Deep and then met Patches. Is there a way for me to raise the wall he tricks you with? Or is that later?

From the Cleansing Chapel bonfire if you've unlocked the second shortcut take the elevator next to it and follow that path.

plape tickler posted:

Patches sells it once you get to the Cleansing Chapel bonfire, but if you want to keep doing his story you won't be able to keep it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mehrunes posted:

There's a sorcerer in a big ruin.

I'm...in a big ruin?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grem posted:

Os anyone else having trouble getting two co op allies in certain areas? The Crystal Sage and Abyss Watchers specifically.

Level and reinforcement?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Fully upgraded Demon's Fist does 400 damage with 40 strength. This is hilarious.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

How do you use the shriving stones?

They're an infusement, last one in the grid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm...in a big ruin?

Other big ruin. Probably not quite as far in as you are.

He's fairly hidden, look for a small path just off the main route.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orv posted:

They're an infusement, last one in the grid.

Do I have to get another piece of coal from somewhere for it to show up?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

Do I have to get another piece of coal from somewhere for it to show up?

Shouldn't.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

hard to explain. There's a shortcut back to the cleansing bonfire that has the lift up, to where that one archer was way earlier. Walk around the edge of that tower to find a ladder to a higher level. Goodies and enemies there. There's a door that leads to the rafters of the cathedral. More enemies and goodies. Across from the door you came in, there's a ledge you can drop down on, and then from there another short drop to a wood thingy. Levers there. And Patches, I think*. And a bonfire. And a covenant.

*I'm pretty sure this is right- P didn't actually show up for me in the Cathedral.

Grem posted:

I think there's a limit of one in certain areas.

plape tickler posted:

Patches sells it But I don't think you need to spoil the name of a dude. I mean it's basically worthless because everyone has to mouse over to see who you're talking about.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dezztroy posted:

Armor is useless compared to DS1 and 2. Poise is nonexistant even if you specifically build for it, and getting absorption over 30% without rings is pretty much impossible.

Just wear whatever looks nice and keeps you under 70%. 30% if you can.

What changed that armor is useless?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^i dont think ive ran into a single enemy that hasnt broke my poise in the starting knight armor. even the hollows with broken swords.

it feels real good to kill wolfdudes who hide next to the crabs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm...in a big ruin?

less obtusely, if you decide you just want to spoil it for yourself in the ruins before the crystal sage, in the road of sacrifice. If you were going to the sage, there's a path on the left of the room that leads to the sage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philosopher King posted:

I've never played a dark souls game before but I heard the multiplayer on this game is unlike any other game before it. Can I just go around collecting ears?

Tongues, technically. But yes. I mean you do have to do PVE if you want to gain access to more areas but a lot of people just PVP forever basically.

Anyway I joined the wolf covenant and oh man the wait for invasions is real. I got one and just barely managed to die because it was like playing underwater. I have zero problems assisting people but the second I PVP the game turns to poo poo. Earlier I got invaded and my controller disconnected halfway through the fight and by the time I unplugged it and plugged it back in I'd died. One day I'll win. One day.

EDIT:

Roobanguy posted:

it feels real good to kill wolfdudes who hide next to the crabs.
Were you the guy who just beat me after a long game of chase and much healing?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Is there a way to check covenant allegiance level? I have no idea how many more drat things I have to give this wolf.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm...in a big ruin?

Don't forget to keep your promise!

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh what the gently caress is anything even

what are you getting so mad about?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

oh baby it's fisting time

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

what's the earliest way to find a demon soul for this weapon?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

Please tell me it has a shoryuken attack.

I really hope the dragon bone fists from DS2 made it in because I had no idea those existed until I saw a video and I am very sad I didn't get to use them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparition posted:

what's the earliest way to find a demon soul for this weapon?

A demon soul?

There's a returning friend somewhere in the deeper parts of farron woods

The road there is... Like a dream... Try stealth.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

A demon soul?

Sorry, I wrote that like an idiot. I got the soul to get this item, but I don't remember which enemy I killed. If I want to make a new fisto character and try and beeline to get the soul, who drops it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
gently caress the crabs, seriously. I guess they're supposed to be more of an obstacle than an enemy you kill.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

A demon soul?

Regrettably the soul needed for the Demon Fist is a bit later, after the Catacombs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Orv posted:

Shouldn't.

Oh, there it is. How the gently caress did I miss that?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Undead Village stuff: Is the area where onionbro is chilling after you meet him a dead end, a side area, the way to the next area or what? I dropped from the rooftops, picked up a Homeward Bone and took that as a hint to GTFO because Oh my god giant fire demon thing!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orv posted:

Regrettably the soul needed for the Demon Fist is a bit later, after the Catacombs.

I was thinking that guy isn't really a very good thematic fit for a fist weapon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Undead Village stuff: Is the area where onionbro is chilling after you meet him a dead end, a side area, the way to the next area or what? I dropped from the rooftops, picked up a Homeward Bone and took that as a hint to GTFO because Oh my god giant fire demon thing!

It's a long dead end back to the Greatwood arena, but it has a bunch of neat stuff to grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Orv posted:

There's no way because I can make it on a character that hasn't passed Farron's yet, I just don't remember what I killed to obtain it D: