Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
People talk about the 2nd boss as being the major hurdle.

Nope, it's this guy. Even after he's dead the illusions will still mess you up.

Funny thing that I didn't see showed off. While the illusions can't heal each other (that's Myle's job) they CAN guard each other with shadowguard, making them immune to attacks for a bit :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'd say this is where the game officially stops playing around - it takes the kids gloves off around the first boss, and put on the boxing gloves for boss 2, then removes that and put on the brass knuckles with this rear end in a top hat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Robindaybird posted:

I'd say this is where the game officially stops playing around - it takes the kids gloves off around the first boss, and put on the boxing gloves for boss 2, then removes that and put on the brass knuckles with this rear end in a top hat.

You can mitigate it somewhat if you find a couple of Firebombs along the way—but, of course, that depends on the RNG deciding to be merciful.

Otherwise, DoTs all day erry day.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or if you're like me and forget you even HAVE those things

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Or you can go for poetic justice.

Those illusions are vulnerable to sleep, so you can turn right back around and ruin Myles' day with status effects whilst beating him down furiously.

Mind you, this fight is still horrible.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Granted, I am playing on easy mode, but while he was harder than the previous bosses, I managed to carve him and his little shadows up into tiny bits~ Again, though, I've had REALLY lucky loot gains, so two of my people had high-end armour and weaponry (Vampire and Skeleton) and the other two had decent gear (Ghost and Sorceress). The block skill was annoying as hell, though, but the illusions only ever used it in themselves, so the boss himself went down pretty easily. I can't imagine how scary it would have been on some of the harder modes, though. >.<;

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Intermezzo III: New Faces, Old Foes

Guess who's back? :smug:

Holy poo poo, you actually did it? You?

You're resourceful, Sorceror, I'll give you that. But I'm still not sure if you can handle the challenges ahead...

Oh, I can handle just about anything. :heysexy:

...particularly the overseer of Block 4, Berias the Hex Knight. I met Berias once, I could tell he had some sort of hidden power.

He's not the only one with hidden power. :heysexy:

I'm not going to sleep with you, no matter how well you do your job.

You don't know that.

...anyway. Hopefully Berias will trip and fall on his sword or whatever it was that happened to the first three guardians, and we can break another binding.

Hey! We've been killing them ourselves!

Yeah, give us a little credit here.

It's not you three I'm concerned about.

Wow, I really like her!

Aw. Aren't you sweet?

:kiddo:

That's some great advertising. I would've never thought of that.

Guy's a regular genius.

You are what you eat!

Fine steel gear has unlocked, and we load up anyone who doesn't have arcanite or higher. We then sell off our regular steel gear and manage to have about 5000 to 6000 gold left over. At this point, we should be good on cash—even as we have to outfit new party members. Since we have the gems to spare, we'll be visiting the skill trainer in a few updates, and y'all will get to vote for some training specialties. For now, though, the only thing we should need to buy is base gear for new summons plus potions/crystals.

We've got some prime catacombing ahead of us, but first, let's hit the sack and restore our HP.

...holy crap do I need to pee.

...and I'm telling you guys, it's always staring at me. Like it can see into my soul.

'kay.

I'm serious! And it talks! It says things in this creepy little whisper when you're not around!

Vlad, you've completely flipped your lid.

Fine, don't believe me. I'm going to go talk to the townspeople, then. But I'm warning you, one of these days he's coming for us. All of us. You'll see!

So when are we gonna tell him we've heard it talk?

Goddesses willing? Never.

You're awfully mysterious, you know that?

I'm here on holiday. I like to travel incognito.

Hey, aren't you Paul McGann?

Shhhhhh

Screw that, there's only room for one evil mastermind around these parts.

...and it's me?

Ooooh. Yeah, that does make sense.

It does?

*cough*

I mean, it does.

You fuckers.

Gear bought, locals chatted with. You know what's next!

*sitcom music plays*

What up, D! One more soul for your collection.

Great.

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo

Still the best part. :allears:

Have at it.

Wonder what we'll find down here this time?

Ghosts.

Treasure.

Weird rear end puppet parts.

Alright well, that probably covers it.

Side note: I'm really digging the Steam controller for this game. It takes some tinkering, but once you get it right, you can circle-strafe like you were playing Doom 64. It's totally useless, of course! But, it makes movement feel more natural, and you can also use the right pad as a mouse.

This has been your unpaid advertisement for the Steam controller. Now, back to our LP already in progress.

Man, I loves me some treasure.

Well hey, isn't this just a big ol' pile of fresh, steaming poo poo?

It's petty cash now, but that's why you need to invest it.

What, like playing the stock market?

Nah, day trading is for chumps. Buy cheap and hold, the market'll correct itself eventually.

Wait. You hear that?

poo poo! We've got ghosts incoming!

And then he says, "Nobody fucks with my summons."

I mean, it's not bad advice. I should know.

Aw, gently caress.

Aw, gently caress.

We're deep enough now in the catacombs that we're starting to see some uncomfortably familiar faces.

Brace yourselves, guys! Here it comes!

...oh really now. :getin:

poopie

Funny thing about those familiar faces: they're from two cell blocks back, and we've found a ton of top notch gear since. In an immensely satisfying moment, we get to—

gently caress all mages everywhere

...ahem. As I was saying, in an immensely satisfying moment, we get to clown on the very first boss we faced. Right now, though, the biggest threat is that Level 10 Cleric on the left. He'll heal and buff everyone until they're an actual problem. We need to put an early end to that, so we apply Vampire liberally.

Vlad and Frank deliver dem hits, and the Sorceror cleans up afterwards with Scorch. Frank is wielding a Fine Steel Warhammer after our shopping trip, and it lives up to its name. He's catching up with the rest of the fighters damage-wise and will soon be a pretty good fighter on his own. The Sorceror is going to town with that Darksteel Long Sword he found, though, so we're not worried too much about Frank's damage output. By the way, I seriously think the Sorceror's doing more damage than Vlad. Hornhead's time is split between attacking and Scorch, though, so he's not as effective.

Once the cleric falls, the rest of his allies get beat down real quick. We thoroughly enjoy adding a few new holes to the Knight's face after the way the game started. :feelsgood:

We pick up some crap loot and a level-up afterwards. Vlad gains Grave Mist, which is pretty goddamn good, even at Level 1. Anything that's +Dodge and affects everyone in the party is a big deal. This plus Willow's Curse of Blindness will probably save our asses multiple times over.

Jesus Willow :stare:

Curse of the Fool is almost exactly like Ziggy's Hand of Death or whatever. I'm not looking up the name from previous updates, go find it yourself. :mad: Arcane Weakness won't stack, but Magic loss will. It's basically a supremely obvious setup for Witchfire that comes with a debuff for free.

Let's see what else we have here...

Hey, another one!

After that lame-rear end chest of gems, I don't have real high hopes.

:stare:

Like I was saying, this chest is going to kick rear end.

You didn't say that.

Maybe you should listen better?

The Axe of Destruction (:black101: x 100000) is a Minotaur weapon and, well, you can see the stats. The game isn't kidding about the Minotaur's damage range varying wildly. Sometimes you're going to get like 30 damage, sometimes you're going to haul off and turn them into power. I want you to keep in mind that the Puppet has a guillotine arm (which is basically an axe) and is doing 40 HP damage on Power Swing to random mobs. I'm not saying "pick the Minotaur this time around," but actually yes I am pick the loving Minotaur this time around

It's doors all the way down.

We need to go deeper.

Into the doors.

Yes, thank you. That was the joke.

Well, you know what they say. Where there's doors, there's random encounters.

No, that's not a thing people say! Ever! At all!

Huh. 0 for 2, I guess.

Eventually, Willow, you'll learn I'm always right.

I wouldn't put money on it.

Get used to that Level 10 Assassin on the right. We're going to be seeing a lot of them in our future.

If this were any other party, that hit would be pretty bad. But we're not any other party :smugdog:

One good thing about assassins, though: their armor is crap.

Willow's Phantom Grasp is at level 3 now and is actually a viable source of damage. Granted, assassins don't have a lot to protect them against damage, so it's hitting more or less full force. Still, it's an impressive amount for 2 Energy and an automatic cooldown, and—

My turn

Jesus Vlad :stonk:

Just like that, the Vampire is first of our party to crack triple digits. Higher level Inhuman Strike tends to overwhelm even the stoutest armor, so it's a good idea to pop it whenever Vlad's energy fills up. Remember, the Vampire is basically Evil Paladin. His primary purpose is sword swingin'. Fall back to healing and/or protection spells as necessary, but he has the most utility as a straight up fighter.

It's not like his regular attack is that much weaker, either! Although to be fair, the Dwarf is a very weak foe who is comically outmatched here.

The gently caress? Were they trying to put together their own puppet or something?

There's two of them?! :byodood:

Dunno what you're freaking out about. You just turned an assassin and his buddies into red mist.

...yeah. Yeah! You're right, Frank. I'm not going to let that little wooden jerk boss me around anymore!

Always heartening when our best fighter finally stands up to a mostly-inanimate wooden doll.

Oooh yes. That's what daddy likes.

Who are we gonna get this time?

Dunno, I usually just pick them at random. I mean, half the time I can't tell you guys apart anyway.

That's racist.

Shut up, Vlad.

:siren: Decision Time :siren:

Time to bring in some new blood. Here's the usual list of monsters:

• Killer Puppet - Fully customizable party member, time/money sink but eventually worth it
  • Werewolf - Unarmed brawler
  • Minotaur - Cranks out stupid amounts of damage but tends to vary wildly in range
  • Skeleton - Think Frank but slightly more skewed towards physical damage
  • Ghost - Probably has the most powerful buffs and debuffs
  • Imp - You want spells? We got spells
  • Goblin - Gimmick fighter, claims to pick locks to bypass puzzles, I have never seen this be useful
  • Cultist - Healer, more physically durable than Willow but not as committed to magic
  • Troll - Glass cannon, can crank out a ton of damage but gets flattened pretty easily
  • Shadow - Randomized damage, basically Setzer from Final Fantasy VI

Our party's starting to fill up! I'll be rotating summons in and out based more on how their personalities play off each other than how powerful they are. I'm not too concerned about it, though, because almost every party has a sweet spot that makes them an effective team.

(Pick the Minotaur though. Please. I'm begging you.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since you begged so nicely, I'll go ahead and vote for the Werewolf.

FridayNightFights
Feb 17, 2011
I've been curious about Minotaur since the ghost vote. That drop seems like a portend of good things, so Minotaur time. Not to be confused with minitaur, which I keep accidentally typing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Fine, but only because I liked that last joke. Minotaur.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
All right, all right, Minotaur it is, but I expect to be mildly pandered to in return. :colbert:

(you can pander to me by continuing to update the LP)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think you could do funny things with the imp, but you asked really nicely, so I'll vote Minotaur.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This had better be good.

Minotaur

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I was already gonna pick Minotaur because of that skill :allears:

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Well, it's probably not properly optimized but I'll take the Minotaur anyway.

I mean, he's probably a Barbarian even if everyone knows that a Half-Minotaur Goliath Psychic Warrior is much better. 60' reach at L7, oh yeah. Get some Combat Reflexes going, spec into some War Hulk, and that's some tasty poo poo.

... this LP is a blast, though, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new character.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bruceski posted:

Since you begged so nicely, I'll go ahead and vote for the Werewolf.

This seems about right :downs:

If only to see Willow's response when you summon someone who can't use your shiny new axe.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Minotaur. Sure, sometimes he'll roll low... Other times, though! :allears: / :gibs:

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Minotaur :black101:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I'm gonna go with Minotaur , because the werewolf has been...lackluster in my game. not being able to equip weapons is bad.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Also voting this. That Axe is pretty much the only reason.

Also, I want to see Vlad toppled from his throne by having Beef Slabchest utterly ruin things on his first outing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Minotaur . Never used it before.

Also, may I just say that I am just loving all of the legit, sound financial advice that Frank is handing out off the cuff? :allears:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Minotaur, have to agree Werewolf was kind of lackluster - the buffs it got is nice, but it's severely limited in what it can equip and can't keep up in damage output or defensive capabilities, so you're better off with Ghost for buff/debuff, or another summon for damage.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Minotaur, because I also loved the last joke.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Minotaur. It must be done.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Minotaur

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I for one am interested in our new party member, [squints at smudged ink on hand] Minnie Driver.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah yeah, get your Minotaur.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FridayNightFights posted:

I've been curious about Minotaur since the ghost vote. That drop seems like a portend of good things, so Minotaur time. Not to be confused with minitaur, which I keep accidentally typing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
On the one hand Iwant to break the Minotaur lock, so I'm tempted to vote Werewolf, but on the other hand, that's not gonna happen anyway, and I do love me some spells. Imp

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Let us bring in the master of fighting bulls, the Minotaur. They are not to be confused with Matadors, the masters of bullfighting.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
I know it's not going to win, but I'm gonna go ahead and vote for the Shadow, because reasons.

Also, am I the only one that noticed in the illusionist's boss fight update, the game misspelled Defence/Defense right next to itself? I get that some places it's spelled Defence while others it's Defense, but it was an ability that bolstered defenSe, that restored defenCe to all party members.

Anyway, yeah, Shadow sounds like fun.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Calling it for the Minotaur before some jokers come in here and change it :mad:

Playing through next block, content to come eventually. Thanks!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait, did we even find any weird rear end puppet parts this time?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Wait, did we even find any weird rear end puppet parts this time?

Yeah, off of that one random encounter, he got like three or four separate parts.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, off of that one random encounter, he got like three or four separate parts.

Wait until Vlad realizes that one of them was a Vampire part.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Wait until Vlad realizes that one of them was a Vampire part.

Hmmm... I can't remember what I did with the rest of his limbs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Hmmm... I can't remember what I did with the rest of his limbs.

just kidding they were delicious

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Chokes McGee posted:

just kidding they were delicious
Do evil puppets even eat? I'd have thought that they kill for the sheer pleasure of it.

Well, unless its been cooking the party's meals or something.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 16, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure the ones from the Puppet Master movies fed off of brain fluid or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

They're puppets. Evil or not, they don't need to eat sentient creatures.

But we do anyway. For fun.

• Locked thread