Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

Lachie Neale refusing to start contract talks with Fremantle and his dad has has gone from "He's very happy over at Freo, can't see him coming home" to "No comment"

Also, this has all come from Damian Barrett on the footy show, so now is a good time to run the ABC fact checker over it

One of Neale's managers has come out and said that Neale hasn't spoken to anyone, no one has approached them yet, and they'll talk to Freo first when the TPP and CBA have been sorted out for next year, so they know where Freo stand (and the rest of the comp for that matter) money wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Whoever is the coach of the Dandenong Tiprats in the UF league needs to make some changes to their team cause they have 4 players selected that wont be playing this week.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Click here for more blistering takes from Brian Lake

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

Whoever is the coach of the Dandenong Tiprats in the UF league needs to make some changes to their team cause they have 4 players selected that wont be playing this week.

Thanks for the heads up! 3 assignments all due this week means I haven't even glanced at it since after round 1 :(

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Struggling to pull historical data out of the afl player ratings, the graph for each player shows it but only surfaces the rankings not the points at the end of each round itself. Think I'm going to just have it as a thing going forward rather than being able to look back and test against observed results since the ratings came in.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Still the best page on Facebook

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Still the best page on Facebook

Consistently so good!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So the stadium to be used is Shanghai Stadium, which is a soccer field with a running track around the outside. I doubt the stadium is going to go all out preparing for a one off fixture so my guess is the outer is going to be hard as gently caress because it's only a thin layer of turf on top of an athletics track.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
apparently naitanui actually broke 6 of sandilands ribs with that knee, resulting in the punctured lung

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Considering the number of huge dudes that put their knees into other dudes' backs every weekend, that's just really lovely luck.

Sandilands will be warming my bench for a while it seems.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

For trivias sake, here are the combined AFL Player Ratings for the first 3 games
code:
WCE 7520.1 RIC 5264.9
ESS 4114.6 GEE 6725.2
HAW 7097.3 STK 5083.2
It's taking me a while to put together the first round, since the afl team lineups and player ratings use different formats for player names, so I'm having to build a cross reference table the first time each player comes up (meaning the first week I have to enter every player playing).

Also I obviously have no idea what it actually means yet, being the first time I've calculated it. Hopefully in a couple of months some trends will emerge and I'll be able to do some actual analysis rather than just data.

e: and for a match actually tipped to be close
code:
ADE 6419.5 SYD 6641.9

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 15, 2016

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the stadium to be used is Shanghai Stadium, which is a soccer field with a running track around the outside. I doubt the stadium is going to go all out preparing for a one off fixture so my guess is the outer is going to be hard as gently caress because it's only a thin layer of turf on top of an athletics track.

Its china. They will remove everything, put down awful quality grass then return it to an athletics track the next day through the power of indentured servitude!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Suns said they are open to playing the game if someone asks. They've got a big Chinese sponsor called Huawei, so they might get a call.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Struggling to pull historical data out of the afl player ratings, the graph for each player shows it but only surfaces the rankings not the points at the end of each round itself. Think I'm going to just have it as a thing going forward rather than being able to look back and test against observed results since the ratings came in.

where are you pulling the stats from? footywire?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Periphery posted:

Why on earth would you tell the league leaders this information...

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to sue the Bombers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

where are you pulling the stats from? footywire?

Using the official AFL player ratings, so I'm just going to have to run my thing that scrapes those from the afl website each Wednesday.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You'd have a lot more access to earlier stats and records through footywire and such wouldn't you? I find a lot of the 'Player Rating' stuff is arbitrary and still just focusses on the AFL's darlings rather than who is statistically the best player.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
drat, Priddis is a late withdrawal for tonight. Apparently he pulled up tender after last week, so it's precautionary

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to sue the Bombers.

He's a good man, that's why. It also alerted me to the fact I am the league leader. But don't worry, that won't last for long once I start managing my team properly.

e: actually it's probably just out of sympathy that I'm in Dandenong I guess.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

You'd have a lot more access to earlier stats and records through footywire and such wouldn't you? I find a lot of the 'Player Rating' stuff is arbitrary and still just focusses on the AFL's darlings rather than who is statistically the best player.

I would, I want to experiment with the official ratings as a predictor though after champion data tweeted out a very close fit between rating points and result.

Using footywire etc would require me to do a lot more playing around with what stats matter, this is basically just an experiment as to how good a model the official ratings are for player performance.

Depending on how this goes I might later try to model individual stats from footywire instead just to see what weird things I can find.

The data pulling from footywire would be a fuckload easier once I set it up initially, that's for sure.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah I could imagine the stats pulling from footywire would be a little more complicated. I love me some stats.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah I could imagine the stats pulling from footywire would be a little more complicated. I love me some stats.

In some ways yes, but at its heart afl.com.au is still a Telstra site and thus terrible in every loving way

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

I'm the coach of Robbo's Rejects and I wanted the top of the table clash this week to be a good one. He's still going to lose horribly but this way he has less of an excuse. :smug:

Diet Crack posted:

I find a lot of the 'Player Rating' stuff is arbitrary and still just focusses on the AFL's darlings rather than who is statistically the best player.

What gives you that impression? From what I've read in the prospectus it's not arbitrary at all and is based on the most comprehensive stats the game has. They are even in the process of developing a way to properly rate defenders.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Are we talking about those trend stats that display on the front page, or the actual stats listings? On the front page they continuously list players that aren't at the top of multiple categories, yet somehow find a way to calculate them as the best players in the league. I know it's a law of averages but I remember seeing players be in the top 5 of multiple stat lines and not even in the top 20 of the 'player ratings' panels. Like Dan Hannebery as an example last season was in the top 5 for major possession stats yet didn't even break the top 20 of that particular list.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Who's everyone's Brownlow picks this year? I'd like to see Robbie Gray or Luke Parker give it a shake

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mitchell, Parker and Priddis are my 3 to bet for, provided none are suspended during the year. Bit too early to tell though.

Kobe for the Brownlow on his last game alone.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Wayne Carey nominated noted rear end in a top hat Michael Jordan as one of sports "most loved" people.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

boy undead posted:

Wayne Carey nominated noted rear end in a top hat Michael Jordan as one of sports "most loved" people.

well he couldn't pick himself could he

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

boy undead posted:

Noted rear end in a top hat Wayne Carey nominated noted rear end in a top hat Michael Jordan as one of sports "most loved" people.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hope Richmond's rucks get absolutely destroyed tonight after all the chinwagging.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Dennis commetti calling it :getin:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

boy undead posted:

Has Jordan ever glassed his girlfriend?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Remember when the Tigers went to Perth in round 9 or so last year and shocked everyone by destroying Freo?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

What a handball

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Doctor Cave posted:

Has Jordan ever glassed his girlfriend?

He basically had his dad knocked off over gambling debts if I remember rightly.

Basil loving Zempilas, who the gently caress cares about Eagles player diets, just try and call the Richmond's players names correctly

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

hiddenmovement posted:

Remember when the Tigers went to Perth in round 9 or so last year and shocked everyone by destroying Freo?

Who are freo?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A quick google suggests that Michael Jordan probably did get his dad killed by not paying Tony Soprano

They do everything bigger in America

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
This was in the Prosh earlier this week:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Darling has been good lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Spedman posted:

He basically had his dad knocked off over gambling debts if I remember rightly.

Woah

• Locked thread