Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This got past the filter somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

(1) Is there any downside to killing the woman inside the church at the beginning? I might as well check out the area she opens, especially since I've done a couple of levels after her.

(2) Where do I run into the NPC dude who attacks me occasionally? I heard you meet him at the Road while embered, although I haven't had the pleasure. Maybe I just haven't been embered by the entrance, considering I've beat the area?
Reupping in case someone knows, but I'd also like to know what specifically it is about the post-Road area (Farron's) that changes the game and borks some side quests?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
He better do that Patches squat emote all the time.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ I give up on invading, completely loving pointless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I finally bit gave the game a shot rather than wait on a patch with the advice of Shadows/Light Low and SSOA. Have not played too deeply in so far but hey no crashes yet, and I'm still primarily blind so I was feeling pretty good dealing with the thing past "Turn Back" :buddy:

Oh it's the first proper boss okay well I've taken some hits but at least I have my estus still :staredog: Why yes let's use those firebombs I just found and win down to the wire Jesus. Hardly bragging rights as a Knight but hey, feels good.

Then I got pasted by the next example of such things :v: Primarily the handful of death's I've had so far have been pretty reasonable-Oh there was a LOWER platform I could have plunging attacked from, let's use that next time instead of dropping off this guy's head with 1/4 health and then rush in like an idiot while he's casting a spell.

Feelin good about early game deaths, a nice solid class start helps drive home the fact it's my own loving fault. Rematch went much better and with baby's first shortcut, delightful.

This game is so going to loving murder my sense of optimism later, such is the way of hubris.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Do you need to be embered for npc invades?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

gently caress you katanaman, backstabbed off the ledge and now i have your hanzo steel

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Seriously people try the Aldrich Faithful covenant, it's literally the only time I've seen 1v1 PvP outside of once or twice with the Watchdogs, and it's very consistent. I'm getting no-joke non-stop invasions, and in the last 10, only 1 was a 2v1.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Has anyone else had a lot of trouble doing kicks? I can do them maybe 20% of the time and the rest are regular attacks. Kind of annoying.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Seriously people try the Aldrich Faithful covenant, it's literally the only time I've seen 1v1 PvP outside of once or twice with the Watchdogs, and it's very consistent. I'm getting no-joke non-stop invasions, and in the last 10, only 1 was a 2v1.

What level are you?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Orv posted:

What level are you?

50, but I think I might even be a little underleveled.

The areas where you fight are also awesome. It's basically the new Bellbros, except this time you occasionally get a chance to be a dick to someone while greatbow archers are trying to shoot them off of a rooftop.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

double nine posted:

Has anyone else had a lot of trouble doing kicks? I can do them maybe 20% of the time and the rest are regular attacks. Kind of annoying.

Due to murphys law, my most frequent kicks are when I wiggle the stick wrong while trying to land the last normal hit in a combo needed to kill a guy.

"Slash slash slash aaand... kick? Oh gently caress" need to learn to lay off the sudden stick motions mid combo unless I need to dodge or leaping heavy.

Trying to do them on purpose, about 3/4 times. Though I expect that will improve with getting used to the timing of kicks, and when it is safe to use them again. Just like how I'm starting to get comfortable interrupting knight attacks with longsword thrusts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Frankston posted:

This got past the filter somehow

I'm wondering if there's some kind of name filter hack. I've seen plenty of censored "K***ht" named folks, but I had to kill a couple of people who had the full word there in their name. Similarly I had to kill a Shitgoblin.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So out of curiosity, about what level should I expect to finish the game at if I'm thorough?

The difference between DS1 (think I was around 70) and DS2 (more like 170) was pretty huge and this game feels more like DS1, but the huge soft-caps on Int/Faith made me wonder.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

So out of curiosity, about what level should I expect to finish the game at if I'm thorough?

The difference between DS1 (think I was around 70) and DS2 (more like 170) was pretty huge and this game feels more like DS1, but the huge soft-caps on Int/Faith made me wonder.

I finished at like 85. Did all bosses, did a small amount of pvp, did not cash out my ginormous collection of soul items which probably would have been good for another 5-10 levels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Insurrectionist posted:

I finished at 100, having explored very thoroughly and did a whole bunch of PvP and phantoming. I could have been substantially higher but I threw hundreds of thousands of souls into buying random fashion sets, buying titanite to see how weapons scaled, and generally loving around. I also never popped a consumable soul item.

Stacking Shield of Want with Silver Covetous ring and doing phantom runs or PvP gets you so loving rich it's hilarious. There's also a few insane soul grind spots as well. The three silver knights at the Anor Londo bonfire give upwards of 12k souls for roughly 20 seconds of work and respawn infinitely, for example.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Where can I find the softcaps for this game? I don't want to go overboard with some stats. I'm level 49 and cleared Ash lake and the poo poo zone below it that should be demon ruins(?) and I'm towards the boreal city that looks amazing.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Anony Mouse posted:

Jesus christ I give up on invading, completely loving pointless.

Use the NPCs to your advantage or invade in areas with separate invasion covenants (swamp swamp swamp). I'm at nearly 30 tongues :toot:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dark Souls: A Legacy Of Junk Murder

Miyazaki must hate genitals.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I always go into these games expecting to be something exotic and exciting, but always - always - end up as a trusty sword and board knight. Slightly fat, slightly muscly, slightly clumsy, hits like a truck, occasionally figures out which end of the pyromancy glove casts a buff or two. Anri's straight sword is right up my alley as a result, it fits the dorky aesthetic so well. :allears:

Speaking of dorks, I have character names instead of account ones switched one and I'm so happy the Dark Souls community is full of lore nerds. Except for a couple of tryhard DARK MESSIAH and FARTY KILLER type invaders, nearly everyone I've summoned, invaded or been invaded by has had an RP-ish name such as Lion Knight Ulfric, Eileen of Ornheim, etc. It's a bunch of dumb fun and I love it.

Is there an agreed SL meta cap yet? I'm approaching NG+ and don't want to abandon this character, but don't wanna close myself off from online play.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's a good replacement/complement to my trusty estoc? I'm looking for a little more variety.

Don't say Uchikatana.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of dorks, I have character names instead of account ones switched one and I'm so happy the Dark Souls community is full of lore nerds. Except for a couple of tryhard DARK MESSIAH and FARTY KILLER type invaders, nearly everyone I've summoned, invaded or been invaded by has had an RP-ish name such as Lion Knight Ulfric, Eileen of Ornheim, etc. It's a bunch of dumb fun and I love it.

I'll have you know Roger, and Roger Jr are highly lore appropriate names!

For a constantly dying idiot.

Fake Edit: Oh that's right, the plot of Space Quest 1 involves Relighting their dying sun so thank you hindsight.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
well, i'm not really sure what the purpose of this is, but alright...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

The hands don't harm you.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Even with everything on low, this is the best looking game I've ever played. Holy poo poo.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Thumbtacks posted:

GOTY

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Okay I give up, there has to be a bonfire closer to Crystal Sage than the Halfway Tower, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

kater posted:

Okay I give up, there has to be a bonfire closer to Crystal Sage than the Halfway Tower, right?

Quite a bit. You know the giant crab nearest the Crystal Sage's ruins? The hill just next to his spawn point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Well I'm kind of crushed now. I kill the NPC invader in the catacombs. See I got that awesome sword I was looking forward to. Check my inventory to see if I can even equip it yet.

It's not there. The game ate it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poptart_fairy posted:

I saw someone named Dayman who had done an outstanding job recreating Glenn Howerton's face, by far the best char I've seen

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
So if you invade and successfully kill someone while you have the Warrior of Sunlight token equipped, you get a Sunlight Medal.

Jolly cooperation indeed!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Well I'm kind of crushed now. I kill the NPC invader in the catacombs. See I got that awesome sword I was looking forward to. Check my inventory to see if I can even equip it yet.

It's not there. The game ate it.

If you means the FUGS you get it from later, not sure why it told you you got it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm still on DS2 atm, trying to get the previous games done before getting 3. Just wanted to share with everyone the fuzzy feeling I got after getting swonked by the Pursuer about 15 times at the start, then fighting him again at the Bastille and this time putting him down in a straight up fight. Feels like I'm getting better :unsmith:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

:ohdear: Mr Candles? :ohdear:

Or Mr Eaten? :getin:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Thanks to all Goons who suggested using a Torch; it's really helpful passing the dark areas and dungeons and allowing the exploration even better.
I do love this game so far, the atmosphere, the immersion, the fights, the bestiarium, the hero developmenmt.

This game is on par with Witcher 3 and GTA V for me to get lost for so many hours in one playing session; it is indeed a legit and timeless top PC gaming title and "must play" when looking back someday in the future.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Orv posted:

If you means the FUGS you get it from later, not sure why it told you you got it.

Oh well at least the glitch I encountered wasn't the one I thought it was then. I guess it just displayed the wrong thing for some reason? I also got the "My Thanks" gesture.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuebot posted:

It is a rad fight, I like how after a point the other dudes start reviving themselves and fighting eachother too. It's also great to have a boss you can actually parry and backstab again. Sadly second form is somewhat harder because my computer does not appreciate all the fire.

EDIT: Now I don't know what weapon to get from the soul.

weapon from soul???? should i read the op

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

my new dog posted:

Use OP but hole

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

my new dog posted:

After killing the Rotted Greatwood you can give Ludleth the Transposing Kiln you get from it and have him make an item (out of 2/3 options) out of each boss soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nearly every person I summon for boss fights in this game is wearing tons of armor and they have very little health and get one-shot by the strongest boss attacks. Fashion Souls has gone too far. I wear the Fire Keepers' Set with 30 vitality and a Life Ring and I can take about 70% more damage than the players I summon or am summoned for.