Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I just got summoned into a 4 man group for Dancer of the Boreal Valley!

We all charged in, she immediately did her grab attack, picked up all three phantoms at once, and one shot all of us leaving the host by himself with a megaDancer

:negative:

Man gently caress that grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

ufarn posted:

Reupping in case someone knows, but I'd also like to know what specifically it is about the post-Road area (Farron's) that changes the game and borks some side quests?

Yoel dies immediately and it breaks onion knights order

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr.PayDay posted:

Thanks to all Goons who suggested using a Torch; it's really helpful passing the dark areas and dungeons and allowing the exploration even better.
I do love this game so far, the atmosphere, the immersion, the fights, the bestiarium, the hero developmenmt.

This game is on par with Witcher 3 and GTA V for me to get lost for so many hours in one playing session; it is indeed a legit and timeless top PC gaming title and "must play" when looking back someday in the future.

Keep that torch handy, if you run into enemies that like to swallow you or cover you in their baby hellspawn the torch keeps you safe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How much health do i need to survive the drop into the pit in the settlement? I see so many glowys down there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aldritch's Faithful is non-stop pop pop, if you want some PvP that's your best shot right now it seems.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Orv posted:

Aldritch's Faithful is non-stop pop pop, if you want some PvP that's your best shot right now it seems.

Yeah it's so active I literally had to send myself home at the beginning of a match because I didn't have time inbetween to remove my covenant item. It's nuts.

edit: Still pretty pissed off that they put Darkmoon Blade behind 30 Bluecop covenant tokens. Like holy poo poo, that's never gonna happen. I had Sentinel equipped all day and got 1 whole match. Very annoying because I actually wanted that spell. Apparently you can farm the covenant item from Silver Knights too, but god knows how lovely that drop rate is gonna be.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Filthy Hans posted:

Nearly every person I summon for boss fights in this game is wearing tons of armor and they have very little health and get one-shot by the strongest boss attacks. Fashion Souls has gone too far. I wear the Fire Keepers' Set with 30 vitality and a Life Ring and I can take about 70% more damage than the players I summon or am summoned for.

I put all my points into strength and vit and rely on being able to roll in order to not die.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

How much health do i need to survive the drop into the pit in the settlement? I see so many glowys down there.

25 with the life ring is when I take that plunge, but if you get gear that lowers your fall damage you can do it with less

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

I put all my points into strength and vit and rely on being able to roll in order to not die.

If you're not dying with that setup you're a better player than me. Do you use the ring that improves rolling at the expense of defense?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i got invaded by someone named mound maker at the dilapidated bridge and i got fukken pwned instantly because he just stood there and parried my first attack and got three hits in while i was getting up

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

After killing the Rotted Greatwood you can give Ludleth the Transposing Kiln you get from it and have him make an item (out of 2/3 options) out of each boss soul.

ahaa yea i gave him that and he had a lot of stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The shrek crabs in the swamp are some of my favorite enemies in a souls game so far. They don't chase you on land so all they really want is for you to get out of their swamp.

Also the cathedral is pretty loving badass. For me at least, that graveyard with the puke zombies was one of the creepiest things in these games. I kept bleeding out and then when it wore off I remembered a little trick: turns out the maggot dudes infect you with maggots/leeches and you can take a torch out to remove them. Just another weirdly arcane mechanic that makes too much sense once you learn about it.

Also, are there any other areas that have white trees that are protected by the giant bro? Also what's the story behind them? Were those trees saints at some point that got turned into trees or does the giant just really like them?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Is it me or are the enemies a lot more spookier in DS3 than in the earlier ones? Some are straight up bloodborne-esque.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Very annoying because I actually wanted that spell. Apparently you can farm the covenant item from Silver Knights too, but god knows how lovely that drop rate is gonna be.

Is there a NG+(+++++, etc) NPC like dark2 to buy these spells from for the cheevos?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

If you're not dying with that setup you're a better player than me. Do you use the ring that improves rolling at the expense of defense?

There's a ring that does that? I mostly just rely on having a big sword that stuns everything before it can kill me.

Anyway Smouldering Lake do you ever get to stop that ballista? It's kind of annoying

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Smouldering Lake is the worst loving place I swear to gently caress. Not only does it have the hardest hitting enemies in the game so far but theres the automated crossbow that can only be stopped at the very loving end of the level, and in fact its possible to never even realise you can stop it as its unnecessary to reaching the boss.

Oh and THE CURSE FROGS ARE BACK. And after the curse frogs is an NPC with an ultra greatsword and greatshield who therefore has about 1000 more HP than you're used to! And if you get past him theres a black knight! And past them him are wheel skeletons! AND AFTER THEM ARE TWO ULTRA FAST FLYING SKELETONS ARMED WITH THOSE THINGS THAT ATTACK AROUND WEAPONS. And only if you got past this gauntlet can you then turn off the crossbow which allows you to descend harmlessly... into a mob of giant crabs.

gently caress. This. Place.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nuebot posted:

There's a ring that does that? I mostly just rely on having a big sword that stuns everything before it can kill me.

Anyway Smouldering Lake do you ever get to stop that ballista? It's kind of annoying

I was literally writing my reply before you did. Yes you do, but it's the very last loving thing you do.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mailer posted:

Is there a NG+(+++++, etc) NPC like dark2 to buy these spells from for the cheevos?

Nope! You are basically just hosed if you want those covenant items, it sounds like. People are reporting that Silver Knights drop the item like 1 in 20 times on average, and you need 30 of them. I just can't believe they've managed to gently caress up Sentinels again. Why would you do the exact same thing that didn't work last time? In fact it's worse, because there's also the Darkmoons, who compete for the same invasion slots as Sentinels. Which means both covenants get to fight over the 3 people on earth wearing Way of the Blue, apparently.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would infinitely prefer the old warpy lag to the non-animating kind, loving fucker fucks fuckchrist.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Drang armor is baller as all hell.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just double checking but Pyromancer spells do go up in damage when you raise your int/fth right? Just want to make sure I'm not wasting levels.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Yes you get to shut it off, and yes there's a ring that does that

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Which means both covenants get to fight over the 3 people on earth wearing Way of the Blue, apparently.

The convenant split like that was always useless so I'm surprised it persisted. I still think the defense covenant idea is a good one but they certainly can't seem to do the right thing. On top of that there's the human/hollow thing again where you just spend 99% of the game immune from invasions to make it even more pointless.

Oh well. On PC cheatengine is a thing that exists so I'll kill 20 knights or whatever to get one of them and then call it a day.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mailer posted:

Oh well. On PC cheatengine is a thing that exists so I'll kill 20 knights or whatever to get one of them and then call it a day.

Sure you want to do that? (Not me, but.)

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Smouldering Lake is killing me. I've never died anywhere as much as I've died here and I just want to give up. I was so excited when I stumbled upon the hole in the middle of the lake the ballista shoots open but now I wish I had never come here.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also, are there any other areas that have [spoiler]white trees that are protected by the giant bro? Also what's the story behind them? Were those trees saints at some point that got turned into trees or does the giant just really like them?

If you read the description of the branches that drop around them, there's three such trees and they're spawned from Dusk's old branch catalyst that you could get in Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss. They're a token of friendship to the giant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raged posted:

Just double checking but Pyromancer spells do go up in damage when you raise your int/fth right? Just want to make sure I'm not wasting levels.

Yes, it definitely does. Some also have kinda high requirements so if you want to be a full pyromancer you'll need to level Int/Faith. Damage soft caps whenever the sum of the two is 60, so like 30/30 or whatever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

nozh posted:

Smouldering Lake is killing me. I've never died anywhere as much as I've died here and I just want to give up. I was so excited when I stumbled upon the hole in the middle of the lake the ballista shoots open but now I wish I had never come here.

Hows this for a twist a few posts up i finally tuned off the ballista. Well turns out you use that ballista to shoot down a wall in the lake to reveal a ring. I have decided gently caress THAT and completionism can go to hell. I am NOT turning that loving thing back on njust to get one loving ring.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My name is Anal Surgery and I'm here to say /
Tall Goats suck in a major way!

Seriously though those tall goat boys have given me more trouble than any boss or any other creature (besides the crucifixion crazy boys. I can stagger them to a point, then they jump high, break lock-on, and skitter all over the goddamn place. gently caress those guys.

I typically hate swamp levels but I think Road of Sacrifice/Farron Keep hits the design just right to be stressful but not too tedious. My tip for new players is that I managed to MAKE Farron Keep tedious by trying to ninja past certain Enemies Who Should Seriously gently caress Right Off and getting lost, but if you just follow solid ground/torches/fires, the stress is totally just enemy encounters and a disorienting layout. The poison is nothing and the path is clearer than you probably think it is.

edited in case people want to be surprised by the shittiest assholes in the early game so far (lovely in that they kill me, not lovely in that they are badly designed)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Tall Goats are cool. I like their wierd, bushy heads and the way they stride towards you and then pounce way up in the air.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Lid posted:

Hows this for a twist a few posts up i finally tuned off the ballista. Well turns out you use that ballista to shoot down a wall in the lake to reveal a ring. I have decided gently caress THAT and completionism can go to hell. I am NOT turning that loving thing back on njust to get one loving ring.

This game is gonna be a nightmare for completionists. Have to play through it at least 3 times for the NG+ and NG++ rings, and lots of the NPC questlines are very finicky. Plus all of the covenant items, etc. Seems way more brutal in that regard than the other games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Smouldering Lake an endgame place or did I just miss it? I'm at the Grand Archives

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Smouldering Lake an endgame place or did I just miss it? I'm at the Grand Archives

It's an optional area.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This game is gonna be a nightmare for completionists. Have to play through it at least 3 times for the NG+ and NG++ rings, and lots of the NPC questlines are very finicky. Plus all of the covenant items, etc. Seems way more brutal in that regard than the other games.

I really hope there's some kind of secret bullshit in this one just to gently caress with people. This time, the pendant really does do something, we swear :shepface: now find it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You could say that it is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mailer posted:

The convenant split like that was always useless so I'm surprised it persisted. I still think the defense covenant idea is a good one but they certainly can't seem to do the right thing. On top of that there's the human/hollow thing again where you just spend 99% of the game immune from invasions to make it even more pointless.
At least this time you can change covenants on the fly, so you can run Bluecop and then swap to another one when you want to co-op, invade some dudes while being fashionable purple or whatever.

EDIT: But yeah, two identical covenants is silly.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
When the PvP works, it delivers. Had a guy who was doing far, far more damage with his weapon than I'm doing, manage to parry and riposte him, and then we trade three blows, he dies, I survive with 19HP. :stare:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Anal Surgery posted:

My name is Anal Surgery and I'm here to say /
Tall Goats suck in a major way!

Seriously though those tall goat boys have given me more trouble than any boss or any other creature (besides the crucifixion crazy boys. I can stagger them to a point, then they jump high, break lock-on, and skitter all over the goddamn place. gently caress those guys.

I typically hate swamp levels but I think Road of Sacrifice/Farron Keep hits the design just right to be stressful but not too tedious. My tip for new players is that I managed to MAKE Farron Keep tedious by trying to ninja past certain Enemies Who Should Seriously gently caress Right Off and getting lost, but if you just follow solid ground/torches/fires, the stress is totally just enemy encounters and a disorienting layout. The poison is nothing and the path is clearer than you probably think it is.

edited in case people want to be surprised by the shittiest assholes in the early game so far (lovely in that they kill me, not lovely in that they are badly designed)

i wreck them by being aggressive

their weapons are interesting if you get them to drop, innate poison

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lid posted:

I got that ring when I was first mucking around here. The cruelest irony is the fact that I just slugged my way through those miserable bird and goat gently caress catacombs to the second bonfire, which of course, is one hundred feet from the very first bonfire, but up on a ledge. My reward? A single large titanite shard. I assume this let's you kill the lightning worm easier? Too bad I already did that when I got here by cowardly hiding behind a rock while the ballista did it for me. I hate this place so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just stalked three people through the Cathedral and waited them to go into that tiny room with the monster that drops from the ceiling. Ended up only nearly getting the host, but I still really admire my own timing. Must have been intense on their end.