Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

You're gonna want to link that video.

The commander's BMP is going to be distinguished by a number of methods. The dude who you can stick out a hatch is the commander of that particular vehicle, not necessarily the whole unit. It's a convenient way to distinguish unit commanders, but not the only way at all. You do have the rules, right?

Yea i got the rulebook. I thought you had to have the vehicle commander model be the commander.

Also video
http://youtu.be/FwzCu7BYvjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, it's just a BMP. The formation commander is actually the dude on the infantry base that goes with it. The five BMPs you have will do your "army" commander and one full platoon. I don't know if that platoon needs a commander same as it would in FoW, but again it'd be a dude in the mans and not the vehicle itself.

ETA: looking at the video you could do a Soviet colourscheme with it, but I think it might be later than 85. Invest in some Vallejo Model Colour 70.894 "Russian Green" TBH.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Would you say that's not the right green for Soviet uniforms in the summer of 1985? :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Honestly I don't see ANY green in the video so... yeah.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna use khaki for uniforms and citadels loren foredt green for tanks. It look like 90s/modern in that shade though

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Really after a while I've just come to the conclusion that Battlefront is basically made up of giant idiots who accidentally made a good game

That's a tad strong

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Serotonin posted:

That's a tad strong

Yeah, calling Flames of War a good WWII game is a bit of a stretch.....

In other news, I now have Chain of command, some markers and some Churchill tanks, so if I can get them undercoated today, I may well be able to try some WWII skirmishing!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I think FoW should get credit for pulling Historicals, kicking and screaming, into the modern tabletop gaming world. By that I mean by packaging a system (and a period!) in a way that is more approachable to other types of gamers: a rulebook, sourcebook expansions with clearly described army lists and a points system suitable for pick-up games, and most importantly: selling boxes of miniatures based on formations in the game, not "here's a bag of 100 German infantrymen, you should know the rest".

FoW was the first historical game around here that got any traction at all among the GW gaming crowd, and a lot of stuff that came later built on that traction. I don't think Bolt Action would have been quite as popular now if it wasn't for the work done by Battlefront to introduce the idea to many people that miniature games can be something else than sci-fi or fantasy.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Fair.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've always liked FoW as a gateway drug. It got me to be more serious about historicals (I had British Grenadier but never played it), and it certainly allowed me to get friends involved.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Definitely right

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I think for me one of the things that helped spark my interest in historicals was a simplification of the rules. Rivet-counting grognardia is all well and good if you have the time and energy to devote to it, but in my current state of life (job, house, wife, two small kids). I don't have the time to invest in spending 8 hours playing a game. Simpler rulesets (or ones like CoC that focus on smaller units) mean that I actually get to PLAY a game as opposed to just looking longingly at it and thinking it might be cool. FWIW, the same transition has happened in my RPG tastes - I have eschewed crunchier, more "realistic" games for stuff like Apocalypse World, which delivers story (the part about which I care) at a breakneck pace without dwelling on the mechanics of simulating whatever.

Gettysburg Soldiers might be more simplistic than Regimental Fire and Fury, but I can set up and play that poo poo in minutes. More importantly, I can teach one of my friends how to play it in minutes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, it's just a BMP. The formation commander is actually the dude on the infantry base that goes with it. The five BMPs you have will do your "army" commander and one full platoon. I don't know if that platoon needs a commander same as it would in FoW, but again it'd be a dude in the mans and not the vehicle itself.

ETA: looking at the video you could do a Soviet colourscheme with it, but I think it might be later than 85. Invest in some Vallejo Model Colour 70.894 "Russian Green" TBH.

Yea my main question was if each platoon/company needs an HQ as well.

So basically for what I have now, would my BMP company need a command unit in addition to my rifle company HQ? Reading the rules it says every formation needs a commander, but it doesn't make it clear what a formation counts as. Is a formation a platoon, company, or your whole force on the table?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Phi230 posted:

So basically for what I have now, would my BMP company need a command unit in addition to my rifle company HQ? Reading the rules it says every formation needs a commander, but it doesn't make it clear what a formation counts as. Is a formation a platoon, company, or your whole force on the table?

Formations are company equivalents, yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Formations are company equivalents, yeah.
Soviets, they still seem to have battalions.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Phi230 posted:

One tging im confused about in the team yankee rules us what constitutes a formation.

Also will my citadel paints pass for soviet camo circa 1985. I have all the paints listed in the how to paint cadians video on youtube

YMMV but the Citadel paints are too bright and cartoony for painting historicals. I would check out the Vallejo or Mig line of paints. Mig actually sells packs of paints for common stuff, one of them being post-WWII soviet vehicles.

Phi230 posted:

Check page 72 and 73 of the rule book, it explains the difference between your Force Diagram and your Formation Diagram and what counts as a formation and what doesn't.

But page 92 is the Formation you are concerned about. Any units you take from that Org Chart make up your formation and the HQ from it is your formation HQ. For the soviets "Battalion" and "Formation" are basically the same but the rules will only mention the word "Formation" as the US uses a different terminology.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not sure whether to post this here or in the scale model thread but for highlighting Russian Green/Vallejo Camo Olive Green, what shades do people use? I know Soviet armour had a lot of varied tones but I'm trying to plan out ahead on what it would look like depending on certain shades, anyone here have any examples and advice on painting Russian WW2 tanks?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm mixing together vallejo's uniform green and feldgrau and getting a colour that looks pretty similar to the T-34-85 in bovington.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Isopropyl alcohol mixed with grass.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
From a grog perspective how did I do. I know it looks mostly like poo poo but I don't wanna continue painting if it doesn't look soviet enough.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

Not sure whether to post this here or in the scale model thread but for highlighting Russian Green/Vallejo Camo Olive Green, what shades do people use? I know Soviet armour had a lot of varied tones but I'm trying to plan out ahead on what it would look like depending on certain shades, anyone here have any examples and advice on painting Russian WW2 tanks?

Vallejo Russian Green is actually the modern armour colour. WWII era 4BO was noticeably lighter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, that code has multiple names. It looks decent on my FoW stuff when given a hilight of it with a teeny drop of deck tan anyways.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I took some photos of my new Marder III tank destroyer. It's a pre-painted die-cast 1:48 toy, bought from China for less than 10 buck including shipping.

Straight out of the box:

Pretty nifty! The tracks desperately needed to be painted, but after that it was just a matter of putting on some black wash, add some rust pigment around the rivets, and finally smudge some sand and mud pigments around the roadwheels and tracks. So about 10 bucks and 30 minutes of work, for a pretty cool looking Marder III. Incredible value for money IMHO.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Vallejo Russian Green is actually the modern armour colour. WWII era 4BO was noticeably lighter.
That's fair, it isn't for a historical project for the record but something else to do Soviet-esque style colours, so it being more modern isn't an issue, I'm just figuring out what to highlight it up with, something like Brown Violet (887) or the Russian Uniform WW2 colour.

I own too many bloody paints.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just sieged a Confederate town:

Union army:

Confederate positions:

Battlefield:

Ended up being a really close one- we played Black Powder and decided the Union would win if they could end a turn with a unit in the town while the Rebs tried to keep them out for 6 turns plus a 7th turn on a 4+, rolled at the beginning of turn 6. I played the Union and dawdled too much, the extra turn wasn't rolled and everything came down to a suicide charge from some of my infantry to try and grab the town...they got blown to pieces from the cannon. The Confederate forward trench, manned by horse artillery and dismounted cavalry, lasted way longer than it had any right to and I sort of got sucked in trying to kill the artillery instead of just massing my infantry in the field and pressing his defenses. All in all a fun battle though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

I took some photos of my new Marder III tank destroyer. It's a pre-painted die-cast 1:48 toy, bought from China for less than 10 buck including shipping.

Straight out of the box:

Pretty nifty! The tracks desperately needed to be painted, but after that it was just a matter of putting on some black wash, add some rust pigment around the rivets, and finally smudge some sand and mud pigments around the roadwheels and tracks. So about 10 bucks and 30 minutes of work, for a pretty cool looking Marder III. Incredible value for money IMHO.

That's awesome! What's the company and do they make anything Polish?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Managed to get in a 1420 point game of Flames of War today with my freshly painted M4A2s! How'd it go, you ask?

uhhhhh

...it could have gone better

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

That's awesome! What's the company and do they make anything Polish?

"21st century toys". The weird thing is that they primarily do larger stuff, like barbie-sized ww2 stuff. There's almost nothing in 1:48, except three differen czech chassis vehicles: this, a marder III aufs M, and a pz. 38(t).
I've been told they made others before, so it could be worth checking ebay now and then for 1:48 diecast tanks.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

"21st century toys". The weird thing is that they primarily do larger stuff, like barbie-sized ww2 stuff. There's almost nothing in 1:48, except three differen czech chassis vehicles: this, a marder III aufs M, and a pz. 38(t).
I've been told they made others before, so it could be worth checking ebay now and then for 1:48 diecast tanks.

Hmm, that's bizarre. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out anyway

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I still have some of the old stuff from them.

Marder III
Panzer IVG
Staff Car
Panzer IVD that is being converted to a Bergpanzer

ToyotaThong fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 17, 2016

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Salute was pretty cool, not as many clubs doing games as I thought there'd be, but lots of big retailers and a few extra companies were there with some cool stuff. I was taking video of all the stands and tables and was really surprised to see a 3mm battle in the same row of tables as a 54mm battle.

Also got a bit of swag:

Not shown is my second Saga force with dice, Renedra terrain for Frostgrave/fantasy, Dark Deeds game from Games & Gears and second Dungeon Saga game I picked up for a friend. The books at top left were brought to get signed, got loads of luck/fame rubs for my dice!

And apparently I won a KR Multicase Backpack4, that'll teach me to not look through everything in the swag bag! Now I gotta pay 20 quid for postage, what a ripoff!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Totes jeallous on the Salute loot.

Thanks to the help in the scale modelling thread, and watching some youtube tutorials, todays airbrush session went much better:

They're going to be commonwealth forces in Sicily 1943, so I'm going for a mid stone brown and blue-black camo, that should still look relatively ok if we ever play North Africa or early Italy. I didn't go for a khaki green colour since we have tons of Soviet tanks already, so a second force with green tanks would be a little bit boring. Either way we have some green Shermans for later war, so if we get more late war tanks I'll paint those green.

Now I need to decide if I should do a highlight, or if Mid Stone on a dark grey pre-shade is enough. Then I'll try out making some sharp border camo. Is modeling clay the best way to stencil small blobs of camo with sharp edges, like this?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

lilljonas posted:

Is modeling clay the best way to stencil small blobs of camo with sharp edges, like this?

That first picture looks really similar to one that's posted in the Chain of Command Facebook group.

For sharp lines, modeling clay isn't what you want, you'll need to use good modeling tape. Just make sure your base coat is fully cured (a couple of days, not just until it's touch-dry) and matte varnished.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

krushgroove posted:

That first picture looks really similar to one that's posted in the Chain of Command Facebook group.

For sharp lines, modeling clay isn't what you want, you'll need to use good modeling tape. Just make sure your base coat is fully cured (a couple of days, not just until it's touch-dry) and matte varnished.

Yes, mysteriously similar indeed!

So modeling tape (I have some tamiya tape), that I cut the round patterns into?

And curse my clubmates for making me do these in 1/56. The thin exposed resin barrels are just breaking and falling off non-stop, and I can't find anyone that makes suitable metal barrels in 1/56. In the meantime, there's tons and tons of secondary market 1/48 barrels for my German tanks. But they are plastic kits, and not falling apart like these inferior resin 1/56 tanks.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 17, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man Salute is on my list seeing all the photos the last few years. Saw they were selling the new SAGA book, looks amazing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was looking into going this year but it seems that Cityjet are poo poo at actually flying on weekends and going anywhere else requires way more cash and way more travel time. Next year (or more likely the year after) I might manage to book far enough in advance to not get shafted on flights.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Here's my Salute walk-through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXsRKW3Of0
Just about every table, vendor and club is in there, so you can see what it was like. No commentary from me in it, mostly because I don't know most of the historical games but if you're wondering what it was like there you go.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Were you wearing the Tiny Spaceman hoody or was that another goon. Coz if so I walked past you but felt it would be a tad awkward to say hi then explain to my son who this random person was?

In other post Salute decisions I've decided that since my regular playdate has lots of 15mm Naps I should get another period so after seeing all the Warlord 28mm AWI stuff I want to do that. Just in 15mm. I also realise I know nothing about the AWI other than something about tea leaves and Boston. Any suggestions guys, especially ColonialAF?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Serotonin posted:

Were you wearing the Tiny Spaceman hoody or was that another goon. Coz if so I walked past you but felt it would be a tad awkward to say hi then explain to my son who this random person was?

That was me! And it's the only Tiny Plastic Spacmen hoody that exists so it was definitely me :) You should have said hi, there were several goons in attendance, one or two from the Dropzone thread and a couple of from the 40K thread. I *may* go to the UK Games Expo but not sure yet, tbh Salute is too short I think and there were a few stands I missed checking out (McVey, Red Box and several old school British companies like Aintsy and Perry). But I'll see most of the ones I missed in Derby anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Played my first game of Team Yankee today.

It was fun! I used to play FOW quite a while back now but dropped out as I always found it played a little clunky and counter-intuitive. Happily, I'm pleased to report that the TY version of the ruleset has been tidied up nicely and the game is fast and Killy. Found the different types of units pretty balanced too - air power didn't seem too OTT to us, as that other poster commented earlier in the thread.

I really like the unit cards - no more looking through the books trying to remind yourself what the actual umpteen different special rules mean. Card says you need a 4+ to cross the river, then you need a 4+.

Only issue is that it seems very, very difficult for the Americans to stand a fighting chance, with their expensive tanks and small units. The Abrams is double the cost of a T-72, for which you get another dice of shooting and slightly better armour.