Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

Didn't think he could get worse, but now you're telling me martin shkreli is into e-sports. Jesus.

Long day, so I don't know if you are joking but http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/22/9370513/martin-shkreli-price-gouging-league-of-legends-team-imagine

Screaming Idiot posted:

The guy in the middle looks like they attempted to shave an ewok. Why, he's almost adorable!

I was thinking one of those little monkeys like Ross from Friends has but ewok is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

People may not like it but "esports" are probably becoming a thing. TBS for petes sake is going to be showing CSGO tournament this summer think.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

I would happily be ok with esports becoming a thing, as long as they consistently put out stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9bsjL7wVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnqnyJHa6m4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKk0xANUHM0

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I will never understand the appeal of watching other people play video games

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's about the same as watching professional sports or any other show which features "experts" doing their "thing." Competition can be really entertaining in whatever form it takes. E-sports might not be your thing, but for me it's kinda like football in a way -- I can get caught up in the action, I like to cheer on certain teams, etc.

Much like cooking or home improvement shows, the target audience tends to have an interest in the subject, and the successful hosts are usually informative and entertaining. If you're not into watching other people cook, but like to cook yourself, that's not a weird thing. It's also not uncommon to play games but not be all that into Twitch or e-sports.

I don't really like to watch most streams, myself. Tournament things can be fun. LPs, too. General streaming can get so boring, though.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Brick Shipment posted:

I would happily be ok with esports becoming a thing, as long as they consistently put out stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9bsjL7wVU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnqnyJHa6m4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKk0xANUHM0

These are great.

I watch stuff like that and all I can think about is the backstage stuff.
"OK, we're going to give you a nice chunk of money here, and I need you to say these lines"
"But... I get nervous. Can't Justin stand up there with me?"
"No, this is one at a time. Justin's bit is later."
"Uh... but I wouldn't say this stuff. Who wrote it? I don't like it."
"You did. These are insults - tastefully edited - you threw out last game. Just get up there."

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
"esports" lol.

So poker is "cardsport", chess is "boringsport" and boardgames "meeplesport"?

You're not fooling anyone kids, you are still just playing videogames.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"esports" lol.

those poor little immature kids, being paid huge sums of money to play videogames. so sad :(

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
People get paid lots of money for doing shameful sad poo poo all the time, what's your point?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

those little immature kids

Honestly that's truly how the vast majority of professional video game players looks like.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

grate deceiver posted:

People get paid lots of money for doing shameful sad poo poo all the time, what's your point?

you jelly.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Honestly that's truly how the vast majority of professional video game players looks like.

well, they are pretty young, and kinda on the small side.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

I guess I am, I only get paid poo poo for doing sad shameful poo poo

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

"esports" lol.

I agree that the term is dumb, but I am absolutely on board with making professional board gaming a thing and calling it "meeplesports."

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

I agree that the term is dumb, but I am absolutely on board with making professional board gaming a thing and calling it "meeplesports."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwmPBP2JHI

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cumslut1895 posted:

those poor little immature kids, being paid huge sums of money to play videogames. so sad :(

I'll give you $20 to eat your own feces.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PCOS Bill posted:

I'll give you $20 to eat your own feces.

y u so jelly

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Cumslut1895 posted:

y u so jelly

don't kinkshame

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

don't kinkshame

sorry xoxoxo

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Looks like Gary Larson was proven wrong

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Funny how the future dreams were right. I see nothing wrong.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

TontoCorazon posted:

People may not like it but "esports" are probably becoming a thing. TBS for petes sake is going to be showing CSGO tournament this summer think.

I think when universities start forming varsity esports teams and handing out scholarships to players we're way past "probably"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Monopoly is poo poo

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think when universities start forming varsity esports teams and handing out scholarships to players we're way past "probably"

Didn't some chinese players get a sport visa for an event, too? I seem to recall that.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
E sports players are contemporarily goony, but every time I see MLB games at least half of the players are still "late 90s lovely facial hair and choker necklace" goony, which just baffles me.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I love playing video games. If I spent time watching other nerds playing video games I'd have less time to play them myself.

I only watch the sports I can't afford or don't have he ability to do myself such as motor racing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

How do you determine a winner when every game ends with a murder-suicide?

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

I don't think you can officially win unless the loser flips the board over in a fit of rage.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

At least he took the information on the poster over his left shoulder very seriously.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At least he took the information on the poster over his left shoulder very seriously.

I've made a few posters like that. It's a very engineeringy format

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Didn't some chinese players get a sport visa for an event, too? I seem to recall that.

IIRC, they had a helluva fight with the Chinese government because they kept denying them on the basis of "you dorks are just playing videogames lol"

I don't so much mind esports in general because poo poo like bowling and golf are televised professional sports and they are just as boring to watch. Really the only thing that bothers me is the commentators for esports matches. It's like they take their cues from Brazilian soccer commentators and obnoxious morning zoo radio personalities.

"He's rushing up the left side, ha ha! I bet his opponent didn't see that one coming. And OH WOW, OH HOLY MOLEY HE MIGHT MAKE IT ALL THE WAY HE'S THERE AND LOOK AT THAT DPS! HOLY CRAP! RED TEAM WIIIIINS! RED TEAM WIIIIIIINS! UNBELIEVABLE THIS IS RIDICULOUS WOW FANS HAVEN'T SEEN A SMACKDOWN LIKE THAT SINCE CHRIS BROWN BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF RIHANNA"

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Jesus, where is this photo taken? This looks like a dude I tutored.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Jesus, where is this photo taken? This looks like a dude I tutored.

You should be proud, you've taught him so much.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Jesus, where is this photo taken? This looks like a dude I tortured.

FTFY. Now Username/Post combo in play.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm the box of shop towels on the floor, for... Cleanup.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Forums poster GE Cafe looking good.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm the box of ice cream on top of the fridge.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You should be proud, you've taught him so much.

Those creases are some shoddy worksmanship. Gonna have to boil that real good to get the fecal matter out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

https://www.captionbot.ai/

• Locked thread