Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spanish Manlove posted:

Die a lot, so just play regularly.

Git Gut at being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Hey, so tell me there's an item that makes monsters hostile to invaders. loving around in a fight for 10 minutes only to have the guy run off like a chump in to a bunch of mobs, making it so I can't loving refill my estus or move on to another area is pretty weak.

After somebody asking about the seed from the tree a few posts up, I went exploring and found one on the tree just by the tower which requires the key outside firelink, it does that.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Just found out how to get solaire's chestpiece :neckbeard:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

codo27 posted:

After somebody asking about the seed from the tree a few posts up, I went exploring and found one on the tree just by the tower which requires the key outside firelink, it does that.

How'd you get it to spawn? Did you get invaded a lot?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

codo27 posted:

How the gently caress do you get "99 hollowing?"

You hollow by an amount equal to the number of dark sigils in your inventory on death.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I cant definitively tell you, though I dont feel that I have been invaded all that much. Though I am over 30 hours in so...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

codo27 posted:

I assume based on the upcoming patch notes that beating the final boss wont skip me ahead to NG+ correct?

Correct. Here's what happens:
You kill the final boss. BACK UP YOUR SAVE NOW if you want to scum all the different endings. You can also leave the area completely and go back to farting around elsewhere with no consequences.
Eventually come back and choose something to do. This will have a cutscene then credits. After credits you can choose to move to NG+ or stay in your current game. If you stay in the current game and go back to the boss area, you cannot fight the final boss again. The area is just empty.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It feels more random than anything but it does trigger from NPC invasions.

e: Regulation (server) patch 1.04 coming on the 18th, adjusts various weapons and more, best I get my cheesing on making twinks before too late

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 15, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You hollow by an amount equal to the number of dark sigils in your inventory on death.

Of which I have 0 apparently? Is that a reward for invading someone successfully?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In last night's DS3 adventures, I made little to no actual progress but instead ran around finding Estus Shards and the Dreamcatcher's Ashes so now I can buy titanite shards, which is a big quality of life improvement. Also snagged Havel's Ring and opened a major shortcut in the Cathedral of the Deep, so I guess that's some progress there. Had a great drat time and a sweet PvP duel though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wildtortilla posted:

My buddy is giving this a shot as his first real attempt at a Souls game. He's hung up on Vordt and getting frustrated. I'm starting into the third zone and between SL + weapon upgrades in out if summoning range for him. Is that what the password system is intended for? Is there a way for me to plunk down my sign and have him summon me into his game? I really want to help him get into the game before he gets frustrated and gives up.

If you are on the same platform you can use summoning passwords so he could always see your sign. It will scale down your HP level etc from what I heard.

Show him the fast way to the fog gate, he'll only have to fight 3 mobs (2 spearhollows and archer hollow just before the gate) so he can take his time hanging out in front of the gate to ember and look for summons.

Tell him to focus on rolling and Taint Reaping the boss if he has extra stamina while you assist.

He killed me ~20 times on release day but going back through I did it on my first try with the help of a phantom even at level 7 with starter gear.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

BurntCornMuffin posted:

So every time I die I get 5 hollowing. I'm not ultra lovely, people!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

codo27 posted:

Got it. Is it a one time use thing?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Got it. Is it a one time use thing?

I haven't tried it but the quantity number in its icon makes me think so

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I was a little puzzled by the tree boss at first, but then I remembered the major weakness that all trees have: smash them in the balls until they give up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

In last night's DS3 adventures, I made little to no actual progress but instead ran around finding Estus Shards and the Dreamcatcher's Ashes so now I can buy titanite shards, which is a big quality of life improvement. Also snagged Havel's Ring and opened a major shortcut in the Cathedral of the Deep, so I guess that's some progress there. Had a great drat time and a sweet PvP duel though.

I'm not going to be one to do it but I wonder how effective boulder vomiting is. It sounds hilarious anyway.

e: Btw what in the gently caress is on those zombies in the cathedral of the deep that is horrifying

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a boss on the Road of Sacrifices?

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
gently caress pontiff, he's hard. Getting through the first part with a few parries is doable but what is going on in the second half.
How am i supposed remember that he combusts in blue magic sometimes, then sometimes in fire, then god knows what else. Not to mention you have to fight two of the pricks

In saying that, if you manage to parry and riposte twice with a 2h it's quite fast to get to the second part.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Near the beginning of the swamp after the bonfire where you meet the 2 NPCs, find an elevated area with another bonfire, and go from there

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

codo27 posted:

Near the beginning of the swamp after the bonfire where you meet the 2 NPCs, find an elevated area with another bonfire, and go from there

Wow, I completely missed that!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wow, I completely missed that!

So did I.

I usually have played these games a little bit or even as much as a year after launch, its so cool playing right from the beginning this time and being involved like this

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Crystal Sage, off to the left side of the swamp through some ruins full of hollows.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Of which I have 0 apparently? Is that a reward for invading someone successfully?

You get them from taking the free levels from Yoel.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ignimbrite posted:

Crystal Sage, off to the left side of the swamp through some ruins full of hollows.

They're also super piss easy, literally just run up and wail on them continually.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

You get them from taking the free levels from Yoel.

I have absolutely no idea what that is

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That's a neat trick Deacons of the Deep pulls where a spell flies out of the wall right next to me, killing me instantly. I guess it can shoot through the wall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm intending to use pyro to support big weapons and am prioritizing my melee stats before attunement, int, and fth. Does upgrading the pyro flame increase pyro spell damage? I'd like to squeeze as much damage out of those spells as I can before investing into stats to help the spells.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So I ran into the guy who gives you free levels ---- the thread said he's bad but im reading... and he's apparently good and needed for a proper ending? :3:

Also, this drat village with the fat witch is pissing me off -- everything is easy but her rear end is annoying... well, the instances of her rear end coming out. Also I want to wear other armor but boosting VIT is a pain in the rear end as the poo poo is so heavy. :( They made armor so goddamn annoying to use that i'm stuck wearing the warriors stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While doing some backtracking and farming I was invaded by Alva and got his Murakumo + his set was now lootable. I saw on a stream that the same can happen with Kirk.

Does the wiki have a list of invaders who drop stuff and where they are yet? I don't want to miss all sorts of cool stuff just because I walk around un-embered all the time. I suppose they made it like this to make people walk around embered (and available for invasions), but I'm not a fan of invasions so I don't really like the change. I'm the type who meticulously explore and loot everything, but now I probably missed a bunch of stuff because of this mechanic :negative:

e: also this was discussed pages ago but people who say this game has too many bonfires is insane. Some are placed really close due to being in at the end of one zone and the beginning of a new one etc. but the amount is fine. Clearing the same trash over and over and over just to get a new attempt at a boss wasn't the fun part of DS1.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 15, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, Vordt is just kicking my rear end. I feel like I can't get a dodge off and there's always a bit of delay. I'm trying to dodge under him to get a few hits in.

In the 2nd phase he just charges all over the place and destroys me, without any time to recover. For a big guy he's surprisingly nimble. And this is the first real boss of the game...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Dancer seems like a bullet sword-sponge. Is she meant to be a later-game boss?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vintersorg posted:

So I ran into the guy who gives you free levels ---- the thread said he's bad but im reading... and he's apparently good and needed for a proper ending? :3:

Also, this drat village with the fat witch is pissing me off -- everything is easy but her rear end is annoying... well, the instances of her rear end coming out. Also I want to wear other armor but boosting VIT is a pain in the rear end as the poo poo is so heavy. :( They made armor so goddamn annoying to use that i'm stuck wearing the warriors stuff.

The fat witch is surprisingly hard to evade.

quote:

Does the wiki have a list of invaders who drop stuff and where they are yet? I don't want to miss all sorts of cool stuff just because I walk around un-embered all the time. I suppose they made it like this to make people walk around embered (and available for invasions), but I'm not a fan of invasions so I don't really like the change. I'm the type who meticulously explore and loot everything,

I hate the unembered mechanic, but I liked getting jumped in DS2 and also not missing out on cool invasions because I wasn't paying attention to my state.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm intending to use pyro to support big weapons and am prioritizing my melee stats before attunement, int, and fth. Does upgrading the pyro flame increase pyro spell damage? I'd like to squeeze as much damage out of those spells as I can before investing into stats to help the spells.

I think it just increases the scaling, so with higher stats they'll do more damage, but it doesnt add damage itself.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

double nine posted:

The Dancer seems like a bullet sword-sponge. Is she meant to be a later-game boss?

Yes

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Eastdrom posted:

gently caress pontiff, he's hard. Getting through the first part with a few parries is doable but what is going on in the second half.
How am i supposed remember that he combusts in blue magic sometimes, then sometimes in fire, then god knows what else. Not to mention you have to fight two of the pricks

In saying that, if you manage to parry and riposte twice with a 2h it's quite fast to get to the second part.

When you get to phase 2 you've basically won. At that point he becomes a lot less aggressive and his phantom telegraphs all his attacks so it's really easy to dodge compared to the whirling blender of death that is the first phase. Just keep in mind he can shoot magic bolts and waves at you and you should have him down easy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

queeb posted:

I think it just increases the scaling, so with higher stats they'll do more damage, but it doesnt add damage itself.

Aww bummer. I hoped it worked like DS1's flame. =/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

As ember, I can't summon two phantoms. Just one. As soon as I summon one, all other signs totally disappear and do not re-appear. This persisted from last night to this morning.

I've tried this in Road of Sacrifices @ Halfway Fortress bonfire and Farron Keep bonfire. Same result at both places. I've died, re-embered, went to firelink and back, quit game, etc. No change.

Is this normal? Is this fixable? Anyone else have this happen? I'm quite sad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DrGreatJob posted:

Yes. Once you reach the Cathedral of the Deep 2nd bonfire, he will be trapped in a well just outside the building. Going back up to the top of Firelink (behind the 20,000 soul key door,) will get you locked in there by Patches. Patches has all of Siegward's armor and you need to buy it all for a total of like 14,000 souls. If you do this, Siegward will save Greirat in Irithyll.

neat thank you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Aww bummer. I hoped it worked like DS1's flame. =/

Wearing pyromancy-boosting rings like the Great Swamp Ring makes a huge difference, and they stack. Just one ring has so far been enough to keep Fire Orb useful through several areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Man, this game is so much fun to co-op through. Even with two Sunbros, Lothric Castle was crazy.