Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Heterosexual Captain Marvel, getting a movie

Lesbian Captain Marvel, no movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

Like yeah you couldn't really have her going toe to toe with high-stakes mega-powerful supervillains

Maybe not toe to toe but there's no reason the antagonist couldn't be a high-stakes mega-powerful supervillain that she has to fight via sneakier methods. Black Widow going all Die Hard in a supervillain's secret base would be great.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe not toe to toe but there's no reason the antagonist couldn't be a high-stakes mega-powerful supervillain that she has to fight via sneakier methods. Black Widow going all Die Hard in a supervillain's secret base would be great.

just ripoff the plot to Metal Gear Solid 1

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Otisburg posted:

i wish they'd do one where she has to fight professer X, but he keeps using his power to make all her clothes fall off.

and she's scrambling around to get all her clothes back on but before she can get dressed again he's already seen everything.

I just wanted to let you know I caught this reference and I appreciated it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
are they gonna do one where professor X retires and sells cakes with women going to the bathroom on them

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

The only problem with a stand-alone Black Widow movie is that movie execs would probably waste a bunch of their time worrying over whether they'd add another love interest for Black Widow.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ghost Head posted:

Ant-man was actually good

I wasn't saying Ant-man was a bad movie, sorry. I was just saying on the current totem pole of importance you'd think Widow/Scarlet would rate a bit higher on the priorities. Then again I read that Ant-man didn't have a terribly big buget yet made a good amount of money. I'd just like to see a Widow movie in the same line as Winter Soldier.

boom boom boom posted:

not even Marvel cares about Squirrel Girl. Have you seen the art on the current Squirrel Girl book?

It's not my favorite art style but it's also perfect for the demographics they are trying to attract. My friends' daughters love having books like that and Ms. Marvel they can relate to more.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The only problem with a stand-alone Black Widow movie is that movie execs would probably waste a bunch of their time worrying over whether they'd add another love interest for Black Widow.

I'm really glad Whedon has hosed off to where ever he went. Let the writer making things like Civil War and Guardians do their thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There aren't many interesting female superheroes

Ms.Marvel is one... She hulk is another I guess. Black Widow could be cool

Then you got a bunch of garbage

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trast posted:

Then again I read that Ant-man didn't have a terribly big buget yet made a good amount of money.

Ant-Man's budget was $130 million which makes it the cheapest MCU movie yet, with the next lowest being Iron Man 1 and Captain America 1 both costing $140m and The Incredible Hulk at $150m. Of course there's been several MCU films which were $200m+ which fits the description of "terribly big" so I guess $130m really is "not terribly big" these days.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they tried making a movie about a marvel lady with a relatively small amount of baggage who isnt on a team. the result was elektra.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This should be the She Hulk movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujksi_HOTHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0mij7EHUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1waX3SGxYWU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

well great now i have a new fetish

thanks rear end in a top hat

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

There aren't many interesting female superheroes

Ms.Marvel is one... She hulk is another I guess. Black Widow could be cool

Then you got a bunch of garbage

Mystique, maybe? More that someone could probably make it work since people would probably go see Jennifer Lawrence?

But yeah- at a time where studios are starting to realize female action/nerd leads aren't a death sentence for your films, DC had an easy lay-up in making Wonder Woman a front-runner in that area...but at this rate I really doubt they're going to do themselves any favors.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 15, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Do a Ms Marvel movie but about Kamala Khan, just to spite WBs incompetence with wonder woman.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was talk of a Runaways movie at one point, which could have been good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I've seen some crazy loving arguments on Facebook about BvsS and the "Fanboy" thing. Holey moley people are nuts.

Like they accuse anyone of not liking the film to be "Marvel Fanboys" but their arguments FOR the film are always fanboy claims. Like, "Yeah the film was bad, but turn your brain off WE GOT TO SEE WONDER WOMAN! SO EPIC!"
"Yeah Lex was poo poo, but he wasn't the REAL LEX so it's ok."
"Well actually this Batman in cannon is tired of playing Mr. Nice guy, if you'd read Batman comics 4981 you'd understand and furthermore..."

Fffffuck me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

ChogsEnhour posted:

I've seen some crazy loving arguments on Facebook about BvsS and the "Fanboy" thing. Holey moley people are nuts.

Like they accuse anyone of not liking the film to be "Marvel Fanboys" but their arguments FOR the film are always fanboy claims. Like, "Yeah the film was bad, but turn your brain off WE GOT TO SEE WONDER WOMAN! SO EPIC!"
"Yeah Lex was poo poo, but he wasn't the REAL LEX so it's ok."
"Well actually this Batman in cannon is tired of playing Mr. Nice guy, if you'd read Batman comics 4981 you'd understand and furthermore..."

Fffffuck me.

Remember when people were this way about things like sports or religion or nationalism?

It's like we're incapable of turning it off. It has to go *somewhere*.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Totally calling you out on comparing two movies with similar themes!

ConstantDelays
Jan 1, 2013

Mordja posted:

I long for a world where IPs can just stay dead.
I RUN IT INTO THE GROUND, IT DIES, I RUN IT INTO THE GROUND AGAIN.

Also, I'm the skulls at the foot of the feral cyberdog in this adaptation of 'Wacky Races'

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

ConstantDelays posted:

I RUN IT INTO THE GROUND, IT DIES, I RUN IT INTO THE GROUND AGAIN.

Also, I'm the skulls at the foot of the feral cyberdog in this adaptation of 'Wacky Races'

You know, those old cartoons were trying to lighten the mood after the disasters of Korea and Vietnam, when everything was steeped in the existential dread of a nuclear holocaust after 20+ years of the Cold War. To create a sense of the ridiculous and shield children from the actual horror of reality.

I'd have been happy with taking in into the realm of cyber-steampunk. Big loving gears everywhere, Victorian punk clothing, maybe even an espionage angle with robot/cyber pigeons with coal-powered jet engines and poo poo. But no, Mad Max hits big and they have to go all loving ME TOO.

Edit: gently caress, I'm totally cool with reboots - but not if they're completely missing the point of what the old thing was trying to do.

It's me, I'm the sad out-of-touch old man. *Grandpa Simpsons gif here*

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
That pink gimp chick has like a slave collar or something with a lock and ring, because obviously

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BMhOBzXzg4

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

a happy snowman posted:

Remember when people were this way about things like sports or religion or nationalism?

It's like we're incapable of turning it off. It has to go *somewhere*.

Normal people are still "that way" about sports, religion, nationalism.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Mystique, maybe? More that someone could probably make it work since people would probably go see Jennifer Lawrence?

But yeah- at a time where studios are starting to realize female action/nerd leads aren't a death sentence for your films, DC had an easy lay-up in making Wonder Woman a front-runner in that area...but at this rate I really doubt they're going to do themselves any favors.

There is no way Wonder Women doesn't suck. It has Carwoman 2 written all over it.

I hope it includes a basketball scene.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

ok, but nobody cares about the others. Hell, people care about the current one because of a pretty concerted push to make people care. maybe the lesbian Captain Marvel will show up in Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Let's be honest. Other than comic book nerds, which make a very small fraction of the audience, no movie watcher cares about any of these heroes (other Superman, Batman, Spiderman, basically A listers ).

You have to remember how little people cared about the Iron Man movie. People only went and saw it because word of mouth was that it was a fun and good movie, and that it was RDJ's comeback. Absolutely no one I knew cared or knew anything about Ironman going in. The general audience doesn't care about Superheroes period.

I mean, now there's the monstrous franchise machine that makes people have to care. But honestly they don't. No one cared about Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man, etc. You just have to make a good movie. That's it. I mean, I honestly don't think anyone cared about Jessica Jones until people started talking about how it was a good show.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Normal people are still "that way" about sports, religion, nationalism.

Tom Brady

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Thundercracker posted:

I honestly don't think anyone cared about Jessica Jones until people started talking about how it was a good show.

No. There is no goddamn way anyone said that's a good show. I didn't even really dislike the first Thor movie, and found Jessica Jones unwatchable.

*Well it was okay up to episode seven, which I'm guessing is when the writers had their "Bring your kids to work day", and let them spend an hour knocking out the scripts for the rest of the season.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Frankenstyle posted:

No. There is no goddamn way anyone said that's a good show. I didn't even really dislike the first Thor movie, and found Jessica Jones unwatchable.

*Well it was okay up to episode seven, which I'm guessing is when the writers had their "Bring your kids to work day", and let them spend an hour knocking out the scripts for the rest of the season.
(raises hand?)
I thought it was pretty good?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frankenstyle posted:

The 2nd half of Jessica Jones is so unwatchable you have to skip watch it.

They are like the Tera scenes in True Blood.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah episode 7 was where I checked out too. I love the Purple Man in the comics too and loved Tennant as him but jesus...

Daredevil though? Doubt anyone gave a gently caress about Daredevil before the show, especially after the Affleck film. Hah.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

There is no way Wonder Women doesn't suck. It has Carwoman 2 written all over it.

I hope it includes a basketball scene.

carwoman? sounds empowering!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I agree that Jessica Jones started off strong and ran low on steam later in the season, but I'll take that over DCs cinematic efforts that start out poo poo and end poo poo.

About the only thing in their wheelhouse that's genuinely entertaining and doesn't poo poo all over their characters is the DCAU. They could have done worse than to basically re-shoot Assault on Arkham as an LA joint for Suicide Squad.

And LMAO at this "fanboy" tribalsm poo poo. I'll watch your superhero movie if it's good, and I fukkin grew up adoring superman and any decent treatment of the character in a well-put together movie would be so my poo poo. I didn't dislike BvS because of the studio logo that played for 5 seconds before the film started, I disliked it because it was goddamn awful and unpleasant to watch.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

whatever7 posted:

The 2nd half of Jessica Jones is so unwatchable you have to skip watch it.

They are like the Tera scenes in True Blood.

The 2nd half was the only worthwile part of that show, once the villain got mote screentime

Thefirst half sssucked

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zzulu posted:

The 2nd half was the only worthwile part of that show, once the villain got mote screentime

Thefirst half sssucked

You mean it's ok for the heroine to catch the villain but not kill him because she is hosed up in her head, so the purple guy can casually kill more bystanders every episode? That poo poo annoyed me so much.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i'd watch a Jubilee movie

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

whatever7 posted:

You mean it's ok for the heroine to catch the villain but not kill him because she is hosed up in her head, so the purple guy can casually kill more bystanders every episode? That poo poo annoyed me so much.

To be fair, the conceit was they needed Rape Man alive to get blonde girl acquited by somehow proving his mind mojo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Otisburg posted:

To be fair, the conceit was they needed Rape Man alive to get blonde girl acquited by somehow proving his mind mojo.
Yeah and then they killed her anyway so none of it loving mattered.

The show really was grimdark just for shock value's sake, and it started to wear thin at the end. I think my eyes just about rolled out of their sockets when Jessica finds Purple Man's dad, dismembered on the apartment floor, with some henchman feeding an arm into the garbage disposal or blender or something, and the camera just lingers on the hacked up stumps where his arms used to be.
And then she checks on the body and he's still alive because OF COURSE he's still alive.

Comic books, everybody!
Jesus Christ.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i hope things work out ok for cap and his pal bucky barnes :ohdear:

in the justice league, the justice league satellite will be the home of all the good productive intellectuals and superheroes while earth is left to the moochers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah and then they killed her anyway so none of it loving mattered.

that was the part where I was just like, gently caress you, TV series.

Also, it really bugged me that they presented Jessica's ability to resist his control as some sort of inner strength, instead of an acquired immunity.

• Locked thread