Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Roy and Laurel are actually similar in that the writers literally forgot about each character and then, when they needed to increase stakes, decided to have them exit the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was stupid both times. I would trade Thea and Felicity for Roy and Laurel.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If Laurel is actually dead, after every single loving character in this show has been stabbed and been totally fine, that's the dumbest thing ever.

If they've pulled the fake death stabbing stunt again, that's the dumbest thing ever

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Krad posted:

Hey guys, you want a Black Canary back? Well, guess who's blonde and still a regular on the show? :v:

gently caress this show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
All the things they have done on the show, I have been either ok with or get from a certain stand point. The first 2.5 seasons felt tightly written and logical but it seems they lost control of that vision around the back half of season 3.

In Season 1 you had Ollie having to realize that killing bad guys and being a dick all the time may not be the best idea ever.
Season 2 you had him coming to grips with the Island realizing that not only can he have allies but they can be a positive influence (Barry, Felicity, Dig, ect.)
Season 3 you had this idea that people were rallying to save their city (or cities) with Arrow/Flash and that you didn't have to be a dick literally all the time. Ray Palmer brought an earnestness and control to Ollie it just fell apart to roster bloat towards the end of the season.

This season, I dunno, started off strong and just kind fell apart. I guess the idea is can anyone really change? And it;s a good concept, good way to test the character, they have just gone about it rear end backwards. The impact of Laurel dying is also undercut by the fact that they didn't have her do much this season and separated her from Ollie (which was a good choice at the time) for about a seasons. I don't mind the idea of Ollie being with someone else because you don't need to follow the comics exactly but now, I feel they are lost again just throwing ideas to the wall and it's too bad because I think the actors are legitimately talented on this show.

tl;dr version: having Laurel die isn't a bad idea or something that I mind they just executed it poorly.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mooseontheloose posted:

tl;dr version: having Laurel die isn't a bad idea or something that I mind they just executed her poorly.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SonicRulez posted:

It was stupid both times. I would trade Thea and Felicity for Roy and Laurel.

You leave Thea alone :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Thea is good. I love her snarky comments!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
No way is Laurel dead. It's going to be a "Dark wasn't going to give up as long as he thought I was alive and i need to protect my father" poo poo that Ollie somehow used a syringe full of magic to fake her death. When they didn't show the circumstances of her actually starting to die that's the same thing as having a character fall off a cliff.

I mean seriously Merlin was shot in the heart at one point.

That's why the entire episode was talk about how she can't be both Laurel and Black Canary and if she wants to be Laurel she has to stop wearing the mask for good. She must really hate her father though if she couldn't wait 20 minutes to tell him about her plan, unless her justification is that he would have just talked her out of doing something stupid that makes no sense to anyone.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

For real, Speedy and Diggle's lines have saved many an episode this season for me.

I tend to skip through scenes with olicity drama or that contain Felicity's mom so I feel a lot better about this season than most. The last few episodes have been pretty short as a result, though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CainsDescendant posted:

For real, Speedy and Diggle's lines have saved many an episode this season for me.

I tend to skip through scenes with olicity drama or that contain Felicity's mom so I feel a lot better about this season than most. The last few episodes have been pretty short as a result, though.

Felicity's mom is the best character

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
All of this could've been avoided if only they'd turned Laurel into Manhunter instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still think Sara should have been Huntress.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Diggle should've been Katana

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

boom boom boom posted:

Felicity's mom is the best character

She sure ain't hard to look at.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bad Moon posted:

You leave Thea alone :colbert:

I like Thea more now, but she was absolute death for the first couple seasons.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ollie should've been Batman and Det. Lance should've been Gordon.

Kidding.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Laurel isn't dead, Black Canary is

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What was the deal with the hard cuts in this most recent episode?

Diggle's Brother is like "I'm in a Box Factory or Something!" and .5 seconds later the entire gang is there almost mid sentence.

Then later the one guy that's actually gotten some screen time (Mouth sewn shut villan guy) gets ready to fight Thea and Laurel and the the next time it cuts to them Malcolm is just like coming out of a cell behind them (almost mid sentence again) and you can just see the previous guys laying on the floor.

I'm starting to think they had some kind of accident in editing that ruined a bunch of film/files and forced them to use B-roll and quick reshoots or something. Between all these shoddy edits, the crappy fight footage and sequences like this and Team Arrow's Scooby-esque entrance to the prison, poo poo was just off this ep.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Valeyard posted:

She'll come back next season with a sleeveless jacket.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seriously, this guy's a real goldmine. The whole last part of this describes how I feel better than my own words can.

Yeah. watching daredevil and going back to this is just such a shock to the system about how hammy everything can be.

SonicRulez posted:

I like Thea more now, but she was absolute death for the first couple seasons.

Yeah its almost like when you give characters something to do thats more than just stalling the plot everyone becomes way more engaging and interesting.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Just one last season and we can finally forget about this series. And hope that whoever thought that relationship melodrama was a good idea to put into a superhero show in large quantities is taken out back and shot.
For the DVD/Bluray release they should include a reverse directors cut where all the relationship drama is edited out.

Whenever it is necessary to reference it for plot reasons they should cut to Thea asking Diggle what happend with Ollie and (whoever) and Diggle responding "Don't know. Don't care." Then Thea shrugs and they never mention it again.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jscolon2.0 posted:

My name is Felicity Smoak. After four years of undergrad CS I have come home with only one goal- to make rent. But to do that, I can't be the Goth I once was. To honor my lease agreement, I must be someone else. I must be something else.

Nah, Felicity is old news. I want Slade flashbacks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Laurel is totally dead and this thread is currently in the denial phase of the the five stages of grief.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There's always a secret lazarus pit to find.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

Detective No. 27 posted:

Laurel is totally dead and this thread is currently in the denial phase of the the five stages of grief.

That doesn't cover the deniers who would be happy to see her go. Or are we in double denial?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Who is more dead though: Laurel or Lexa? That's the real question!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

libertao posted:

That doesn't cover the deniers who would be happy to see her go. Or are we in double denial?

You don't count.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Who is more dead though: Laurel or Lexa? That's the real question!

Laurel is dead. Lexa is dead, but can be a ghost to one person at a time for forever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

libertao posted:

I for one am super glad I no longer have to see this cheap and awkward "canary cry":

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Let's take a moment to realize that Laurel had the same fate as her original teacher.

RIP Wildcat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Wildcat is alive isn't he? He just got his rear end handed to him by Brick, IIRC.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

enraged_camel posted:

Wildcat is alive isn't he? He just got his rear end handed to him by Brick, IIRC.

Brick punched him straight into Limbo and he's still complaining to Merryman about it.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Valeyard posted:

Isn't it the other way around? Her sister can be Black Canary again right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Criminals would probably notice when the Black Canary stops being able to emote.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aphrodite posted:

Criminals would probably notice when the Black Canary stops being able to emote.

drat, son.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

you on a tear lately

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

A bit of savagery does the heart good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Bee episode was the funniest episode in years. Lots of good lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I for one am super glad I no longer have to see this cheap and awkward "canary cry":

her 'O face'.

Seriously, the observation that this show fell apart during the 2nd half of season 3 is just spot on & going through the memories of it all has just depressed me I needed a cleanser. Here's a DECENT, uplifting scene from season 3 of Arrow:

https://youtu.be/V_2IWDLQJ4I

R.I.P. only good 'Arrow-cave'

• Locked thread