Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did I just see a guy with a cheese grater for a chin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="458729375"]

edit: Unrelated, but how long have I been incorrectly saying Nefertiti in my head for Vivi's last name?

It's Nefertari so maybe the start.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Eiba posted:

Also, when Luffy runs in on Burgess and has his chat with Blackbeard (chapter 710), Burgess was saying they couldn't trust Aokiji, and Blackbeard said the same was true for Shiliew (implying Blackbeard trusts Aokiji).

Or the opposite more likely.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheKingofSprings posted:

There is no way he doesn't know how much the WG would love to just murder him at this point

Everyone wants to kill blackbeard.
He's pissed off so many people, it's kinda impressive.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blackbeard pissing off everyone he interacts with is another cool anti-parallel between him and Luffy, the guy who can make friends with pretty much everyone

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Blackbeard is the anti-Luffy in everything he does and therefore the last boss

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Blackbeard captured Ace. Akainu killed him. In front of Luffy.

I wonder which he has more problem with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LostRook posted:

Or the opposite more likely.
The exact quote begins in the middle of a conversation:
Blackbeard: "Zehahaha, come to think of it, the same could be said of Shiliew, right?
Burgess: "But we're talking about Aokiji here, no way we can trust him!"

It reads to me like Burgess is trying to persuade his boss to have more prudence, and Blackbeard's laughing it off like usual. I wouldn't think that implies Blackbeard is trusting in the traditional sense- probably he's trusting his luck or his hunch- but he's definitely making the pro-Kuzan argument there.

tsob posted:

Blackbeard actually spoke with Luffy on Jaya, Impel Down, and Dressrossa. I don't even remember if Akainu addressed Luffy directly in his speeches about Absolute Justice, but if so it was probably a rhetorical device.

Both men are responsible for Ace's death- it wouldn't have happened without both, but while Akainu is an impersonal force of nature that needs to be overcome, Blackbeard is a rival who is personally involved with Luffy.

I bet Luffy has an absolute problem with both, but beating up Blackbeard will have more weight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Blackbeard has horrible taste, but he still likes food. Luffy can grudgingly respect that. Akainu went and ruined a slab of beefcake with his magma fist. Destroying meat is sacrilegious to Luffy and he will murder that son of a bitch.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's kind of awesome how Blackbeard was hinted at being the anti-Luffy and the supposed "last boss" waaaay back when both of them ordered cherry pie, Blackbeard loved it, and Luffy hated it.

Pretty sure that was also the first time in the manga Luffy actually said he hated something he ate, not counting his devil fruit. So it's a Big Deal.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

tsob posted:

Luffy having more beef with Akainu means he is more likely to go after Akainu first, leaving Blackbeard for the endgame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

blackbeard has attacked both of luffy's brothers at this point. and his dad, but they've only met like one time for a brief moment

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Akainu is Sabo's fight, and Blackbeard is more interesting than any of the admirals, anyway. Even if he isn't the final boss, he'll be the last major obstacle Luffy overcomes, and his defeat will mark the definitive emotional climax of the series. Even overthrowing the World Govt. will be more of a denouement after that, and that's assuming they're not already brought down before then.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I think what will be interesting is how defeating Blackbeard will test Luffy's policy on not killing his opponents. I'm imagining Blackbeard will directly ask for Luffy to kill him after he's lost his status as Yonkou and everything else that goes along with it but Luffy will refuse only for Blackbeard to try and stab him in the back.

Burgess pulled the same kind of emotional manipulation on Sabo in the Dressrosa aftermath but for different circumstances.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
luffy's gonna steal his bending

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think what will be interesting is how defeating Blackbeard will test Luffy's policy on not killing his opponents. I'm imagining Blackbeard will directly ask for Luffy to kill him after he's lost his status as Yonkou and everything else that goes along with it but Luffy will refuse only for Blackbeard to try and stab him in the back.

Burgess pulled the same kind of emotional manipulation on Sabo in the Dressrosa aftermath but for different circumstances.

luffy has punched multiple people into the ocean regardless of whether they have eaten a devil fruit he doesn't give a gently caress

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah does Luffy have a no killing policy? Oda obviously does and uses the "broken spirit" reasoning. Luffy beats the crap out of his opponents and usually this accomplishes whatever goals the crew has. Luffy's not Batman and none of the villains are like The Joker where Luffy is torn between not wanting to kill but knowing these people will come back and torture and murder his family. Still, I can't see Luffy ever intentionally killing anyone just because of his personality, I guess we'll see if that is a story Oda wants to tell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
People in One Piece don't care about killing people. Crocodile and Luffy talked about it with both agreeing that people were gonna die, but Luffy wanted to help the naive Vivi who thought she could save everyone. The only reason the Strawhats haven't killed anyone is because their nice enough people not to continue brutalizing unconscious foes. Luff drove Crocodile through tons of rock and hit Mango so hard it caused a seismic event on Dresrossa, they just happened to be tough enough to survive and Luffy didn't care anymore about beating them because they were done.

Zoro killed the poo poo out of Wiskey Peak, though I think there was another time he mentioned that he used the backs of his swords. Like that'd matter when you get hit by a superhuman like Zoro.

Chopper might have an actual no kill policy, being a doctor.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

People in One Piece don't care about killing people. Crocodile and Luffy talked about it with both agreeing that people were gonna die, but Luffy wanted to help the naive Vivi who thought she could save everyone. The only reason the Strawhats haven't killed anyone is because their nice enough people not to continue brutalizing unconscious foes. Luff drove Crocodile through tons of rock and hit Mango so hard it caused a seismic event on Dresrossa, they just happened to be tough enough to survive and Luffy didn't care anymore about beating them because they were done.

Zoro killed the poo poo out of Wiskey Peak, though I think there was another time he mentioned that he used the backs of his swords. Like that'd matter when you get hit by a superhuman like Zoro.

Chopper might have an actual no kill policy, being a doctor.

Water Eleven, while infiltrating the Galley Company so they could talk to Iceburg.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He stated he used the flat of his swords when beating up the nun and the kid on Whiskey Peak.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there was never any mention of a no kill policy for any of the strawhats (or anyone in one piece at all that I can remember). they don't go around killing people because they're the good guys in a shonen manga for kids, not because the moral high ground is a plot point

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I like to think they just don't give a gently caress either way, personally.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Water Eleven, while infiltrating the Galley Company so they could talk to Iceburg.

In fact, Nami calls him out by saying that hitting them with the back doesn't help since he's so absurdly strong anyways.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am reminded of Slayers were Zelgadis slashes a bandit and says he used the back of his blade. Then noticing he has a two edged sword and apologizing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Robin regular snaps ppls necks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
If you're not a named character, you're probably going to die/be crippled for life after facing the Strawhats.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kild posted:

Robin regular snaps ppls necks.

Really, Spandam is amazingly durable. Dude should be like suuuuper hosed up dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Really, Spandam is amazingly durable. Dude should be like suuuuper hosed up dead.

The guy even got better from his injuries and joined CP0

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Despite being explicitly weaker than a generic Marine, too. I guess normal humans in One Piece are just that tough.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The guy even got better from his injuries and joined CP0

Spandam is practically a Looney Toon character at this point, Wil E. Coyote takes recovery notes from him on off days

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Parrotine posted:

Spandam is practically a Looney Toon character at this point, Wil E. Coyote takes recovery notes from him on off days

Spandam getting shot by Ussop KING OF SNIPERS SOGEKING at the Gates of Justice was pretty hilarious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they don't go around killing people because they're the good guys in a shonen manga for kids, not because the moral high ground is a plot point

I will always love that the first chapter has Shanks' crew brutally murdering their enemies, and Luffy not giving a single gently caress. They are pirates. And it's never implied that Shanks is any less of a good guy because of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

Both men are responsible for Ace's death- it wouldn't have happened without both, but while Akainu is an impersonal force of nature that needs to be overcome, Blackbeard is a rival who is personally involved with Luffy.

I bet Luffy has an absolute problem with both, but beating up Blackbeard will have more weight.

Blackbeard being more entertaining (and I agree) and having more weight does not mean he will be the last fight. I'd also disagree with that last part, since I think beating up the leader of the Marines and destroying their system as well as what he represents (the Void century, oppression, Absolute Justice) has, to me, more weight than beating up another pirate. Because he brings that system and essentially the weight of the world with him. Blackbeard doesn't. Even with all his ships and crews and allies he simply isn't and can't represent as much as Akainu, as leader of the Marines can conceptually, since the Marines are a bigger system with more history. And thus, more weight when they're brought down.

dordreff posted:

Luffy having more beef with Akainu means he is more likely to go after Akainu first, leaving Blackbeard for the endgame.

This would be true. If Luffy was going after either of them. He isn't though, because that's not the narrative One Piece follows. Luffy only goes after people that are directly troubling him or his allies. Which neither Akianu or Blackbeard are for the moment. And almost certainly won't till the end of the story, since it makes for a better climax to deal with them at the end (in whatever order you think), rather than mid-story. They're both being set up as antagonists and have been for a long time. Akainu has done more to earn the protagonist's ire in my opinion, as well as being introduced later and as such, likely to be dealt with later because of it. And a load of other stuff like killing Ace.

Manatee Cannon posted:

blackbeard has attacked both of luffy's brothers at this point. and his dad, but they've only met like one time for a brief moment

He's met Luffy twice now I think, on both Jaya and Impel Down. Akainu has only met him once and while he's shouted at him they've yet to really speak. Which I doubt they will properly at any point before their fight, since I doubt there'll be any real opportunity to at this point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sabo beating Akainu makes more sense to me since he directly wants to beat the marines, is Ace 2.0 and has his fruit which lost to Akainu last time with him making a big deal of the magma fruit being stronger

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sabo isn't Luffy. Unless there's someone related for Luffy to beat up after Sabo beats Akainu (and Blackbeard isn't related) then it's not happening, since it removes Luffy and the Strawhats from events.

Not to mention that Luffy has already made his own Ace inspired move, the Red Hawk instead of the Fire Fruit (since he's physically incapable of ingesting it) and neither has made any mention of Akainu specifically. Sabo wants to take down the World Government, not Akainu. I think Akainu'll represent the World Government by the end, but that Sabo will take down some other high ranking member as a Revolutionary (and temporary Strawhat) representing the World Government while Luffy takes down Akainu. Ace died in front of Luffy, not Sabo. Luffy inherited his will, while Sabo simply inherited his fruit and power. Akainu also trashed Luffy's dream and said things he disagrees with fundamentally (like heritage dictating fate).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blackbeard presents way more of an ideological foil to Luffy than Akainu does and a far more interesting one than "marine vs pirate". Blackbeard's also basically the guy who gets the last laugh at Marineford and the only one who really walks away from it with a victory.

I can't see him being beaten before Akainu. Though Luffy will probably take the both of them out eventually anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

tsob posted:

And almost certainly won't till the end of the story

Well I mean they call this current arc "VS. Four Emperors Arc", so I mean it'd be kind of odd to skip over one of them.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Blackbeard presents way more of an ideological foil to Luffy than Akainu does and a far more interesting one than "marine vs pirate". Blackbeard's also basically the guy who gets the last laugh at Marineford and the only one who really walks away from it with a victory.

Sengoku literally said that it was Shanks and companies win for interrupting them and getting Whitebeard's body. I disagree on the interesting part too, as above, but that seems like pointless argument given that I doubt we'll change each other's minds.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

Sengoku literally said that it was Shanks and companies win for interrupting them and getting Whitebeard's body. I disagree on the interesting too part as above, but that seems like pointless argument given that I doubt we'll change each other's minds.

Oh yeah, Shanks pretty much gets a win too. Gets in stops the war and gets out with none of his crew getting hurt. But he doesn't really gain anything from it either. Like he saves a lot of people and enables Whitebeard and Ace to have a proper burial but the Red Hair Pirates are in about the same situation they were before.

Blackbeard however uses the war as a cover to grab like 5 or so new crew members and then also steal Whitebeard's devil fruit as well. He's definitely the guy who won biggest i'd have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He didn't use the war to grab those crewmates though - he used his position as a Warlord. That the war was happening at roughly the same time was essentially coincidence. Whitebeard beat Blackbeard easily. So did Sengoku. He refused to fight Shanks and a few days later he literally ran away instead of fighting Akainu despite having his entire crew there and knowing what he was doing. Akainu was such a massive obstacle he didn't mind his crew knowing he'd rather run than fight him, since they presumably understood why.

He did get Whitebeard's fruit, which was what he was there for, but it's hard to say he won when he got beat so easily twice and only achieved that when other people killed Whitebeard for him.