Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Altran
Mar 20, 2013
the new article by submission on tmc is pretty good, although it has an element of ranting in it, and not being critical enough, but it's a good start. i think this is what differs goon to pubbie alliances such as bob, neckbeards in goons actually have no life and care about a community, other than just stay on board while it's fun, then abandon for another when poo poo hits the fan

holy poo poo it rhymes! I'm beginning to feel like a Rap God, Rap God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CainFortea posted:

Or, and stick with me cause the math is hard here, the subreddit in question is more making GBS threads on them.

Show your working.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ullerrm posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that everyone should do the following things at least once in their eve career:

* Set up a Planetary Interaction chain
* Huff gas in a WH
* Build a T1 module
* Invent a BPC for a T2 ship or module, and build it
* Run a data or relic site
* Suicide gank a miner
* Run a lv4 mission (which may include grinding standings to be able to use a lv4 agent)
* Run an epic arc mission
* Set up a small POS with a moon miner, even if it's just atmospheric gases or some other worthless goo

Chances are, for most of these, you'll cry out, "holy poo poo this is terrible, why do pubbies pay $15/mo to do this?" But you'll be wiser for the experience. (Alternately, you might go "this isn't so bad" and have knowledge, and often an income stream, that few Goons possess.)

Cute thread is here and is one of the best threads on SA.

add 'solo c2 wormhole sites' and 'solo a c3 site in a svipul'

also gas huffing is pretty good money and probably the best risk/reward i can think of currently. 60m an hour for literally not doing anything is p good

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 15, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Altran posted:

the new article by submission on tmc is pretty good, although it has an element of ranting in it, and not being critical enough, but it's a good start. i think this is what differs goon to pubbie alliances such as bob, neckbeards in goons actually have no life and care about a community, other than just stay on board while it's fun, then abandon for another when poo poo hits the fan

There exists a pre-history that involved a number of failed discussions, so that might explain the lack of constructive criticism.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

nigga crab pollock posted:

add 'solo c3 wormhole sites' and 'solo a c3 site in a svipul'

also gas huffing is pretty good money and probably the best risk/reward i can think of currently. 60m an hour for literally not doing anything is p good

In what wormhole? Huffing in a C2 was like... 10 million an hour three years ago.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nigga crab pollock posted:

'solo a c3 site in a svipul'

For real???

What can't those little fucks do? :argh:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Siets posted:

For real???

What can't those little fucks do? :argh:

gotta be in a wolf rayet c3 and you can't suck since its harder than doing it in a c13

but ive made a lot of money doing that

Zephyrine posted:

In what wormhole? Huffing in a C2 was like... 10 million an hour three years ago.

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/ore/gas.html

dont be a scrub and look at the value of the gas ur huffing

prices fluctuate especially 320 and 540 since they only spawn in hard to solo sites

Daruna
Jul 3, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Holy poo poo I just checked the markets for the first time in forever. When did everything get so loving expensive? A Dominix is going for 160 mil is nowadays, a mega for 180. A Moros is over 2 bil. A dominix was less than half that a few years back. God drat inflation, thanks Space Obama! :argh:

faction battleships on the other hand are cheaper than ever before

machs go for 430mil :vince:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Altran posted:

despite the dumb ~our people~ schtick its kind of right though. theres kind of a broader culture that playing with terrible pubbies makes clear

also the mark of goon is like a scarlet letter so it just kind of ends up happening

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Comstar posted:

So The Mittani was going to reward Kismateer (sorry spelling) the job of running https://www.reddit.com/r/eveonlinenews/ Why would ANYONE want that job right now? Think he dodged a bullet there.

No one wants it, because no one reads it, because that subreddit has no reason to exist.

The irony of having a subreddit to control your narrative while decrying reddit and r/eve as a whole and the people who go there is just...overwhelming. :gizz:

Altran posted:

You REALLY need to play with other people in games occasionally if you think they or the organizations they often play with have no sense of community.

Goons just happen to be my favorite community where most of my friends play. :glomp:

quote:

Actually, the jew and sexism part is really easy. Imagine you have a best friend in real life and you know each other's humor very well. When you tell him a dirty joke about a jew having a big nose because air is free, both of you know how you meant it and neither of you will yell at each other for being a racist. That’s similar for Goons, only on a larger level: A group of neckbearded fat players make jokes about women and their kitchens and they all laugh dirty while secretly wishing they knew how a woman looks in real life.

:yikes:

I too condone casual racism for the sake of humor while decrying actual racists as evil because they're n00bs who just don't get it.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 15, 2016

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

No one wants it, because no one reads it, because that subreddit has no reason to exist.

The irony of having a subreddit to control your narrative while decrying reddit and r/eve as a whole and the people who go there is just...overwhelming. :gizz:

You REALLY need to play with other people in games occasionally if you think they or the organizations they often play with have no sense of community.

Goons just happen to be my favorite community where most of my friends play. :glomp:

Haha holy poo poo after making GBS threads on people for wanting to post stuff on Reddit they go and make their own. Is this real life?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cravius posted:

Haha holy poo poo after making GBS threads on people for wanting to post stuff on Reddit they go and make their own. Is this real life?

https://www.reddit.com/r/eveonlinenews/

Reddit basically scorched the earth and it's clear the idea failed, but god damnit did they try.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Zephyrine posted:

wormholer math. You don't include the time to scan down holes and sites, the time to clear the NPCs with a combat ship, the time to reship to your venture, or the time to ship the gas to a market, or run the POS yourself.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DARPA posted:

wormholer math. You don't include the time to scan down holes and sites, the time to clear the NPCs with a combat ship, the time to reship to your venture, or the time to ship the gas to a market, or run the POS yourself.

You can make tiny criticisms of a similar vein about any ISK-making activity in EVE, and that includes AFK ratting.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Kimsemus posted:

I too condone casual racism for the sake of humor while decrying actual racists as evil

same, but unironically :smugdog:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Here's the IBT article that was mentioned in the leaked logs: http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-online-battle-control-most-boring-video-game-world-2352253

A couple of kinda wince-inducing moments.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

But how does it accomplish that? They are just going to spam it into oblivion, and even if you manage to ban most of the spammers, then what? It's not like CCP will legitimize it with their presence since they've already made r/eve the new official forums since the actual Eve forums were killed by the ISD. r/eve is controlled by literal Nazis and people that hate us, so good luck ever getting our subreddit linked on the sidebar or any mentions of it shadowbanned or downvoted into oblivion. It just seems like a really hamfisted move to address a problem that could be approached differently. Like why CCP chose to use a 3rd party forum for user interaction when said forum is ran by literal Nazis.

how much effort, exactly, do you think it is to grab a subreddit that could be useful in the future

like walk me through what exactly you're hyperventilating about

if it's never useful it cost approximately thirty seconds of time

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
E:never mind, beaten by endie.

I think the ibtimes guy may have been a little bit annoyed by those logs.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-online-battle-control-most-boring-video-game-world-2352253
That sure is an article that someone wrote and put on the internet.

you got scooped dude

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

how much effort, exactly, do you think it is to grab a subreddit that could be useful in the future

like walk me through what exactly you're hyperventilating about

if it's never useful it cost approximately thirty seconds of time

Because the internal narrative coming from the top is so anti-reddit that this is way more of a PR hit than owning that subreddit is worth. Like seriously, for a dude that extolls the value of winning a ~propaganda war~ this was a poorly calculated move.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

you got scooped dude
Beaten and then quoted before I could edit and hide my shame. :(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Endie posted:

Here's the IBT article that was mentioned in the leaked logs: http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-online-battle-control-most-boring-video-game-world-2352253

A couple of kinda wince-inducing moments.

Let's sum up "printing whatever I tell them":

quote:

Gianturco believes CCP is overselling the conflict. “The marketing department of the company that makes the game has attempted to capitalize on this event by promoting the conflict as similar to infamous Great Wars of the past despite the reality on the ground being very different,” Gianturco told IBT.

But it is almost impossible to take what Gianturco says at face value. An arch manipulator, he is keen to promote his side’s view of the current conflict, and in leaked chat logs shown to IBT after an interview with him, Gianturco boasts that the media (and IBT in particular) are “eager to print whatever I’ll tell them.”

quote:

However, Gianturco has not helped to counter the perception that in real life he acts like his avatar.

In 2011, at CCP’s annual FanFest conference, Gianturco showed up drunk and at a panel discussion encouraged gamers to harass a player he knew to be depressed to commit suicide. Gianturco subsequently apologized unreservedly and gave the player in question his entire in-game fortune, but the incident explains why he is such a divisive character.

quote:

A Kickstarter project was launched to try to raise $150,000 to publish the book, which was a joint effort between CCP and Gianturco. However, large sections of players reacted angrily to Gianturco seeking to profit from events in the “Eve Online” universe, and the fundraising effort failed.

quote:

As for Gianturco, he says it’s not about power or money, but all about friends. “I play ‘Eve’ because of my friends and the challenge, and it’s really all about our guys and our friends in the wider Imperium community than anything about the game itself.”

Then again, with Gianturco, it’s hard to know what’s real and what’s just showmanship.

I'm positive he told them to print all of that. POSITIVE. :smugdon:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 15, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

how is anyone discussing the ibt article without mentioning the headline:

quote:

‘Eve Online’: The Battle For Control Of The Most Boring Video Game In The World

somehow i don't think the reporter enjoyed his time with the game

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

Because the internal narrative coming from the top is so anti-reddit that this is way more of a PR hit than owning that subreddit is worth. Like seriously, for a dude that extolls the value of winning a ~propaganda war~ this was a poorly calculated move.

are you familiar with the existence of karmafleet

consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, and who the hell is going to rend their garments over owning a subreddit with a fox-news style name counteracting the purity of our message when we have an entire reddit corp that's bigger than goonwaffe last i checked

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

evilweasel posted:

how is anyone discussing the ibt article without mentioning the headline:

somehow i don't think the reporter enjoyed his time with the game

That's an amazing headline.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kimsemus posted:

Let's sum up "printing whatever I tell them":

I'm positive he told them to print all of that. POSITIVE. :smugdon:

Yeah, he deserved some of the snark he got in that article.

Though to be fair, they probably printed most of what he told them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

Reddit basically scorched the earth and it's clear the idea failed, but god damnit did they try.

Today I learned the mittani has a three year old reddit account https://www.reddit.com/user/Numismancer

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

cravius posted:

Its more anti-circle jerk and the corrupt cfc-hating mods on /r/eve

Theres a lot of good subs on reddit mostly for other games and things

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kimsemus posted:

I spammed the admins with messages complaining about the horrible injustice of brigading. Which I actually have no problem with but if it gets jeffraider off reddit for a few hours the maybe he'll look for a job?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have a reddit account to my great shame, but in my defense i mostly made it so i could point out how rixx javixx was trying to scam people through his "woe is me i need thousands of dollars to playtest my collectable card game based on eve"

then people just handed him money instead on an even more if not the most obvious scam ever :cripes:

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013
Can someone quickly summarise what's going on in Goonfleet? It all seems like a complete clusterfuck right now

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Samiz posted:

a complete clusterfuck

my old friend

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Samiz posted:

Can someone quickly summarise what's going on in Goonfleet? It all seems like a complete clusterfuck right now

Its the cyclical pattern of rebirth and destruction, we have come full circle and have been conquered by BoB (again)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Red Bull posted:

Its more anti-circle jerk and the corrupt cfc-hating mods on /r/eve

Theres a lot of good subs on reddit mostly for other games and things

my general theory is that reddit is great when there's fairly objective or widely shared opinions on what is good (technical stuff, games where there's not warring camps, etc) and utter garbage when there's strong ideological differences (politics, console warrioring, eve online)

that said, there are not a lot of good ways on the internet to deal with strong ideological difference stuff - strong from-the-top moderation is the best available but it suffers from everyone viewing moderators as biased (tests show if you write a neutral article and show it to partisans of both sides they both think it's biased towards the other side) and self-selection into forums of comparable ideology (which is actually what you start seeing in irl american media)

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Samiz posted:

tldr goons kinda almost self-destructed but with significantly less humor than usual.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I love how they assume The Wiz was depressed. I mean telling someone to kill themselves is bad but sensationalism is pretty gross.

Videogames is a miner too and he seems very happy.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

I love how they assume The Wiz was depressed.

didnt he uh, admit to it prior

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

mpaarating posted:

tldr goons kinda almost self-destructed but with significantly less humor than usual.

you say that but comedy is just tragedy plus time, give it a minute

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Percelus posted:

you say that but comedy is just tragedy plus time, give it a minute

You're probably right. I'm like super imptnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi