Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Sheep-Goats posted:

Put it Reddit and watch those autistic retards implode.

*makes long argument against tipping saying greedy, awful employers are the ones to blame for not paying more*

And

*against minimum wage even existing*

Seem to have a lot of overlap on Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I've said it before ITT but as a bartender I too long for the automation of the job so people who would rather have a machine squirt them a cocktail and not have to tip would never darken my bar's door again

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mooyashi posted:

*makes long argument against tipping saying greedy, awful employers are the ones to blame for not paying more*

And

*against minimum wage even existing*

Seem to have a lot of overlap on Reddit

Surely the best way to ensure bar and restaurant staff are paid adequately is to pass 100% of the money you pay into the owner's hands and let them give back to their employees as they see fit.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Sheep-Goats posted:

Surely the best way to ensure bar and restaurant staff are paid adequately is to pass 100% of the money you pay into the owner's hands and let them give back to their employees as they see fit.

They tried that poo poo in a few places in San Francisco. I think they ended up paying their employees $15/hr. then immediately lost all their good staff and ended up switching back. But not before complaining that the only reason it failed was because the market wasn't ready for it. There was a lot of "for the people" hipster talk that really just amounted to "loving over our staff with poo poo wages doesn't work if they can easily go next door and make better money."

Edit: And the only thing worse is when they try to distribute tips amongst the whole staff. Why in the gently caress should I try to make money to split with a dishwasher? Pay your own staff you motherfuckers.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 9, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

CubanMissile posted:

They tried that poo poo in a few places in San Francisco. I think they ended up paying their employees $15/hr. then immediately lost all their good staff and ended up switching back. But not before complaining that the only reason it failed was because the market wasn't ready for it. There was a lot of "for the people" hipster talk that really just amounted to "loving over our staff with poo poo wages doesn't work if they can easily go next door and make better money."

Edit: And the only thing worse is when they try to distribute tips amongst the whole staff. Why in the gently caress should I try to make money to split with a dishwasher? Pay your own staff you motherfuckers.

Worked at a place that got its rear end sued for operating an illegal tip pool by one of its former employees. Got a fat $32.28 check out of that one. Thanks for the change, cunts!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It was probably a lot more than $15 an hour - that's minimum wage as of 2018, plus a lot of paid healthcare.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

I feel for the back of house guys, I really do, but the tipouts have to end somewhere.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

FaceEater posted:

Worked at a place that got its rear end sued for operating an illegal tip pool by one of its former employees. Got a fat $32.28 check out of that one. Thanks for the change, cunts!

That's alright, the lawyer that filed the papers made 9K on the deal. Gave about 550 (for that week) to the paralegal who actually wrote the case up.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Kozy Kar is for real a shithole.

This guy knows.

It did not completely ruin my life. It helped catalyze the end of a serious relationship for me, so I wound up taking a train to New Orleans and have been happier ever since.

How! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 11, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

CubanMissile posted:

A significant portion of high end places in Seattle have switched to a "We don't expect tips, but we do a required 20% surcharge that gets distributed amongst the staff in interesting ways" model which seems to be working. I think most of them give some portion to the back of house.
edit:
One place just published that everything on their menu is now more expensive.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2016

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

How! posted:

This guy knows.

It did not completely ruin my life. It helped catalyze the end of a serious relationship for me, so I wound up taking a train to New Orleans and have been happier ever since.

I am a woman.

twodot posted:

A significant portion of high end places in Seattle have switched to a "We don't expect tips, but we do a required 20% surcharge that gets distributed amongst the staff in interesting ways" model which seems to be working. I think most of the give some portion to the back of house.
edit:

I manage multiple bar programs for a very large restaurant in SF. We openly calculate prices based on the cost of labor, not "food cost" any more. The price of the actual ingredients is the least important factor in the equation now.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I am a woman.

Sorry, couldn't tell through my computer screen. All the best.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I am a woman.

I manage multiple bar programs for a very large restaurant in SF. We openly calculate prices based on the cost of labor, not "food cost" any more. The price of the actual ingredients is the least important factor in the equation now.

Is CA a tip credit state? Or do bars and restaurants have to pay min wage?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It was probably a lot more than $15 an hour - that's minimum wage as of 2018, plus a lot of paid healthcare.

Every article I've read about it says $15/hr.

twodot posted:

A significant portion of high end places in Seattle have switched to a "We don't expect tips, but we do a required 20% surcharge that gets distributed amongst the staff in interesting ways" model which seems to be working. I think most of them give some portion to the back of house.
edit:

That's gotta create some serious tax complications.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 12, 2016

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

navyjack posted:

Is CA a tip credit state? Or do bars and restaurants have to pay min wage?

Minimum wage.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

CubanMissile posted:

That's gotta create some serious tax complications.
Eh, for those places everything goes through payroll now, so the fact that wait staff are getting a 10% commission on what they serve plus 2% of sales, whereas dishwashers are getting 4% of sales on their paychecks shouldn't be super crazy tax wise (all numbers are made up). It might be difficult to have correct deductions, but that's got to be even harder when tips are a larger part of your pay (presuming people bother to report it). This also presumes a business with a functional accounting system which may be a bad assumption.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So fellow bartenders: the bar I work at we bring our own tools. Shaker, wine key, bottle opener, strainer, jigger, pens etc. I need some recommendations on a bag. I've been using a crown bag which works, but I think it's kinda tacky, and am tired of people asking questions about it. Any advice?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Old Man Pants posted:

So fellow bartenders: the bar I work at we bring our own tools. Shaker, wine key, bottle opener, strainer, jigger, pens etc. I need some recommendations on a bag. I've been using a crown bag which works, but I think it's kinda tacky, and am tired of people asking questions about it. Any advice?

Who asks questions? Customers? Friends? Random people on your commute, if you walk/take public transport?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by the questions about a CR bag, but if you're walking there or something, you could get one of those small drawstring backpacks just to make it a little easier. If it's just the CR logo - dye it black maybe?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who asks questions? Customers? Friends? Random people on your commute, if you walk/take public transport?

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by the questions about a CR bag, but if you're walking there or something, you could get one of those small drawstring backpacks just to make it a little easier. If it's just the CR logo - dye it black maybe?

Bring back the fanny pack!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Customers ask questions (we don't carry apple cr), people on public transport stare at it and I have multiple people ask me "can I get a drink?" If I decide to go anywhere after work, I get (understandably) hassled about outside alcohol, I drive home from the train station and a CT bag might look suspicious to the law, so it's for a number or reasons really. Just using some rit to dye it is a good idea, but ideally I'd like something a little nicer. I should add, I keep a pint glass in my shaker since my bar has weird glassware, so I'd rather it not be banging around in a backpack.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
This is what I would use if I was a fancypants bartender and money wasn't an object:

http://twelvetwentyfour-cocktails.myshopify.com/collections/traveler-series/products/traveler-2-0

Ive also seen this used:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/ChowDown-Personal-Cooler-Large-p2321.htm

Or this if I already had a bar tools roll and just needed space for a mixing glass and shaker:

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/all-barware/bags-case/leather-bar-tool-bag

But all this poo poo is way too expensive so I'd probably just find a cheap thermal lunch bag with a washable liner.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I don't know why I'm surprised that people are making specialty bags for bartenders, I really shouldn't be.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I just chuck everything into a cheap-rear end jansport backpack. Like 4 sets of shakers, pourers, muddler, strainers, spoon, knife, tiny cutting board, tongs, etc. But I do have a Crown Royal bag for my pourers* inside the backpack.

*and also my d20s

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Rotten Cookies posted:

*and also my d20s

Whenever I see a CR bag, I assume it contains dice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You bring your own pourers? Do you mean spillstop 285-50s or am I way off base?

I can't imagine a bar that would allow, much less require a bartender to bring their own pour spouts.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

But all this poo poo is way too expensive so I'd probably just find a cheap thermal lunch bag with a washable liner.

Those bags are crazy expensive, the lunch bag idea is solid, thanks!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised that people are making specialty bags for bartenders, I really shouldn't be.

I think I would order a small duffel bag off of Amazon in the OPs place but I don't know / don't care that much

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Old Man Pants posted:

Those bags are crazy expensive, the lunch bag idea is solid, thanks!

This looks like it'll do fine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176ZSEMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_q2gexbX2DS19Y

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
13 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Overnight-Leatherette-Travel-Bag/dp/B00FC4ABD0

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Get an old west doctor bag lol

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Ordered. Derail over!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shooting Blanks posted:

You bring your own pourers? Do you mean spillstop 285-50s or am I way off base?

I can't imagine a bar that would allow, much less require a bartender to bring their own pour spouts.

The pourers are for myself, I just keep them in my bag with all my other poo poo because I will someones bring my bag to a friend's party and start making drinks n poo poo.

The bar I worked at has their own pourers.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rotten Cookies posted:

The pourers are for myself, I just keep them in my bag with all my other poo poo because I will someones bring my bag to a friend's party and start making drinks n poo poo.

The bar I worked at has their own pourers.

As someone who has never worked in the bar industry, is bartenders having to supply all of their own equipment a pretty common thing? It just seems weird to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that policy happened because some prima donna bartender(s) bitched about the provided equipment one too many times.

Chefs use their own equipment all the time, so I don't think it's that weird.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

10 Beers posted:

As someone who has never worked in the bar industry, is bartenders having to supply all of their own equipment a pretty common thing? It just seems weird to me.

It's not particularly common. Bottle opener and wine key are about as far as it normally goes. The only time I pack my own gear with muddler and strainer and spoon and all is when I'm working a catered do of some kind.

Because of where OMP works, they might not have a lot of storage or great places to stash bar tools where you can be sure they're still going to be there when you come back for the next shift because I think they totally or partially break down the bar after the last service of the day. Under those circumstances, I'd probably bring my kit just in case so I didn't have to share if something went missing.

Btw: OldManPants, I'm starting at the Hilton around the corner from you this week!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

10 Beers posted:

It depends on the sort of bar but in general no. Most bartenders bring a wine key and a bottle opener because if the bar supplies those people walk home with them and leave them home (on accident, any bartender will already have nine or ten of each in a drawer somewhere from previous jobs / liquor promoters / etc).

You don't really need very much. A shaker tin and a wine key (that can open bottles) are enough to bruteforce anything.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

navyjack posted:

Btw: OldManPants, I'm starting at the Hilton around the corner from you this week!

Nice! Drinks at corner office soon?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Regionally big for their britches jam band played tonight in a college town on 4/20. Everyone had money for the cover and their tabs, no vomit or fights, talent didn't fuss over the take and we got out of there at a reasonable hour. Truly a Weed Christmas Miracle.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Nice! Drinks at corner office soon?

For sure. See what my schedule looks like after training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You guys keep saying "wine key" and "bottle opener" like both jobs aren't done by the one kind of wine key that everyone has and it's honestly freaking me out.

Also I worked my first solo bar shift at the restaurant I've been at for 2.5 years yesterday and it went really well! We're a pretty big restaurant, around maybe 150-170 seats depending if the patios are open, as well as a ~30 seat bar, so it was intimidating at first. But I held down service drinks, bar guests, and changed a keg mid-shift with no trouble. We did 200 covers on the floor and the MOD said I did a fantastic job, plus it was his birthday so I freestyled a modified Martinez for his shift drink. 1.5 each Barr Hill Old Tom Gin, Bols Genever, Carpano Antica vermouth; 2 bar spoons Luxardo; 2 dashes orange bitters; toasted orange peel. A success all around.

My first PM service bar shift is Saturday night, I'll report back with how much my butthole gets stretched.

• Locked thread