Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eonwe posted:

running everything on max settings with 60 FPS, the combat the visuals

its all great

so, I'm having a hard time sunbroing

I'm like level 28 and I beat the Crystal sage

I wanted to help people with it, but I never got summoned. I don't think I'm too high level for it, since until a couple levels ago I was still easily getting summoned for tree boss. Is Crystal Sage just easy enough that people don't summon, or maybe am I not the right level range? I think I'm only on +2 on my weapon also if that helps

Your weapon is low and people might be higher than you. Its only your highest weapon that matters, so if you have another +4 thats not equipped that's fine. If +2 is your highest, you need to get on it, buddy. You been exploring? Should be swimming in titanite already.

Make sure you don't have a password set. In my experience lots of people summon for crystal sage even though its super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jay Rust posted:

How does one deal with maggots

In the Cathedral? Use a torch, the moment you equip it it burns the maggots off you. Also any fire damage permanently stunlocks the maggot monsters there.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Dark Souls 3 dogs are easy peasy. They're not berserker unstoppable bastards like they are in 1. I get nervous every time I enter Lower Undeadburg.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Will Holy Knight Hodrick still invade me after I've killed the giant tree? He killed me once because when I ran into him I was out of estus. I wanted to go take care of him now that I'm in cindered form again, but I just realized that he may not show up since the boss is gone.

Also, I just read that killing the boss hosed up my access to one of the covenants :( The undead settlement is huge; I guess it pays to explore before fighting the area boss.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jay Rust posted:

How does one deal with maggots

Bringing out a torch gets rid of them too I think.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A warrior of sunlight brought out a torch and kept dancing around me with it shouting HEY! HEY! HEY! until I figured it out and we cheered and toasted.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Control Volume posted:

Yeah, but check this out: the feel of loving rear end is incredibly good, much like the combat.

Both have got a lovely feel!!!

I love both 1 and 2 (for different reasons). I'm not feeling this one at all.

If either of these things feels lovely then you're doing something wrong.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Your weapon is low and people might be higher than you. Its only your highest weapon that matters, so if you have another +4 thats not equipped that's fine. If +2 is your highest, you need to get on it, buddy. You been exploring? Should be swimming in titanite already.

Make sure you don't have a password set. In my experience lots of people summon for crystal sage even though its super easy.

thank you, I do have enough for a +3

I did explore and the problem is I switched weapons I was upgrading (since this is the first time I've played a souls game really, I was going to just do my longsword, but I got that katana and I absolutely had to start using that)

so basically I can never go and equip a +2 and help a pal out with the tree guy once I upgrade enough?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironically this is the one game where Patches is a good guy, and will save Greirat who is his friend if you send him after him

The other way is if you save Sigmeyer Siegward, he'll go rescue Greirat :3:

If you send him alone, he doesn't make it. :smith:

Who killed them? Someone has to pay the iron price for that.

I have a feeling I know who. Someone please confirm.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm liking that there is an actual, non gimmicky choice you have to make for shields. I like that the basic shields make you choose between having good poise or 100% physical resistance and you don't really get both until they get intolerably heavy with high str requirements. It actually gives you some imperative to what you choose for your offhand rather than just throwing on a kite shield / grass crest shield and calling it a day.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yes the area where they just stacked 12 of them right on top of each other walking in a line like they're trying to do a conga and said "yeah that'll be fine" is real good enemy placement man. Giving them a tracking grab attack that is guaranteed to kill you in 1 hit because of their health reduction is also great.

No wait, they suck. Being spooky is all they have going for them

edit: Last time someone complained about this the response was "take them out from range", aka render them an absolutely useless nuisance. Yeah that's a mark of a good enemy, one that basically annoys you and has no way to defend itself from range and is guaranteed lethal in melee

When I encountered that area my immediate reaction was to stay the gently caress away from them and use the obvious side areas to avoid them. I thought that was a rather clever room that rewarded thinking about how to deal with it rather than running in for treasures.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Will Holy Knight Hodrick still invade me after I've killed the giant tree? He killed me once because when I ran into him I was out of estus. I wanted to go take care of him now that I'm in cindered form again, but I just realized that he may not show up since the boss is gone.

Also, I just read that killing the boss hosed up my access to one of the covenants :( The undead settlement is huge; I guess it pays to explore before fighting the area boss.

There's a way to join the covenant again at the very end of the game, but I think it requires not loving up one of the characters' storylines, but I'm also not positive about that.

Eonwe posted:

so basically I can never go and equip a +2 and help a pal out with the tree guy once I upgrade enough?

You can always co-op with ANYBODY using passwords, regardless of level entirely. But for invading and I believe also co-op without passwords you have a level/upgrade range.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sooo those whatever the gently caress you call them in Archdragon peak. They remind me of the loving torch wielding fuckers at the beginning of Demon's Souls that would come at you and swing 50 times in one second, except now they do a million more damage with their little knife of epic damage. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DeathSandwich posted:

So I'm liking that there is an actual, non gimmicky choice you have to make for shields. I like that the basic shields make you choose between having good poise or 100% physical resistance and you don't really get both until they get intolerably heavy with high str requirements. It actually gives you some imperative to what you choose for your offhand rather than just throwing on a kite shield / grass crest shield and calling it a day.

Plus some shields have different power stances. I have a shield that replaces parry with letting you do weapon arts without two handing.

Using it with a rapier is brutal

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Carl Seitan posted:

Patches is definitely the one who trapped Sigmeyer down the well.

If you don't protect Greirat using Sigmeyer or Patches, he dies in the zone you send him to, you can find his body. :rip:

Patches is still a dick to most people like Sigmeyer, but he respects Greirat because he's a fellow theif and Greirat helped him out once. Sigmeyer will protect Greirat because he's just a nice guy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

You can always co-op with ANYBODY using passwords, regardless of level entirely. But for invading and I believe also co-op without passwords you have a level/upgrade range.

thank you so much, I was actually holding off on levelling & upgrading to help my friend with the tree boss tonight, this makes a huge difference

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Unless there's a shield that gives me Item Find, like in SotFS then all shields are rubbish :colbert:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Plus some shields have different power stances. I have a shield that replaces parry with letting you do weapon arts without two handing.

I tried one of those for about 2 minutes and decided it was a great way to get myself killed when I instinctively try to parry something mid-battle. Switched back to the grass crest, always be rolling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The silver kite shield is a good shield.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eonwe posted:

thank you so much, I was actually holding off on levelling & upgrading to help my friend with the tree boss tonight, this makes a huge difference

Yeah its great, the same worked in BB and I love it so much. Huge qualify of life improvement. Holding back levels in DS1/DS2 to stay in range with a friend is a huge pain.

In theory if the host is way lower level than the summon using a password your "power level gets reduced to that of the host", but I have no idea how that actually works out. Some kind of damage cap or stat cap?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Carl Seitan posted:

Well for the first guy patches kills the merchant. In order to save him you have to both A) not tell patches where he goes off to and B) Rescue Siegward in his questline. Siegward saves Geriat after you release him.

For the second there's an assassin monster in disguise as a statue in the room where you last see Anri alive. If you kill the Assassin, you anger Yuria and she leaves. You also need to have Anri dead here in order to get the secret ending.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I was going to be all smug and come in here to tell you guys I beat the Abyss Watchers my first try. :smug:

Then that fucker LIT HIMSELF ON FIRE.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Carl Seitan posted:

Patches kills Greirat if you tell him where he went. With Anri it depends on when she died.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm at snow town. Any good strength weapons I should look out for? I'm using a heavy great club +6 atm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I completed all of Anri's questline up until she died literally AS I finished Pontiff Sulyvahnn, against his summoned phantom. If she could have just held out one more second...

I was hoping she was okay anyways until I saw her armor for sale. I hosed up. :smith:

Also I was doing the one darkmoon lady's questline, and I invaded her world to help her against creighton, but then I hosed up and apparently working for rosaria's fingers permanently makes her hostile to you. There goes that quest as well!

Welp, quests are something you do in NG+, I've always said.

Estraysian posted:

Patches kills Greirat if you tell him where he went. With Anri it depends on when she died.

Nope, backwards. Patches protects Greirat who dies if he doesn't have anybody to protect him.

Greirat dies the 3rd time you send him out no matter what

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Yhorm's Greatshield owns because you get a ridiculous poise bonus from it and rarely fall down as a result.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Using the dried finger to summon a third coop partner is probably the greatest thing ever. Having my three friends hide behind objects when someone invades me and bum rushing that fool is the highlight of this game so far.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope, backwards. Patches protects Greirat who dies if he doesn't have anybody to protect him.

Greirat dies the 3rd time you send him out no matter what

Nah you're wrong.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just a yes or no, please -- is it possible to mitigate the jailers' proximity effect on your health bar in Irithyll Dungeon? I really think I love this zone and wanna check all of it out, but these things are like twice as bad as the jailers from Latria.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

I thought I quoted the patch note. In Dark Souls, the vaguer the patch notes are, the more nerfs are incoming.

I meant how is Straight Sword overpowered :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

I completed all of Anri's questline up until she died literally AS I finished Pontiff Sulyvahnn, against his summoned phantom. If she could have just held out one more second...

For the ending of Anri's questline she dies in every one even if she survived that fight. In Dark Souls style, she has no happy ending.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Estraysian posted:

Nah you're wrong.

Hm, maybe it bugged out then, because I told him and he lived.

Quests do seem awfully buggy in this game though. Lots of people not showing up where they're supposed to and then seeming to trigger delayed or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

I meant how is Straight Sword overpowered :v:

Oh :v: Well, it's pretty straight forward. They deal really good damage and can stunlock most enemies to death, since they also use little stamina. A Greatsword of similar scaling/upgrade path will only deal like 20% more damage than a Straight Sword counterpart, while being considerably slower and using huge amounts of stamina. It's pretty broken, basically.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

enojy posted:

Just a yes or no, please -- is it possible to mitigate the jailers' proximity effect on your health bar in Irithyll Dungeon? I really think I love this zone and wanna check all of it out, but these things are like twice as bad as the jailers from Latria.

Nope.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, maybe it bugged out then, because I told him and he lived.

Quests do seem awfully buggy in this game though. Lots of people not showing up where they're supposed to and then seeming to trigger delayed or something.

Greirat mentions being saved by an onion knight if Siegward is at the right place when you kill Sulyvahn. I think Patches even sells new items after Greirat dies if you told Patches where to find him.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I tried one of those for about 2 minutes and decided it was a great way to get myself killed when I instinctively try to parry something mid-battle. Switched back to the grass crest, always be rolling.

This is why you don't parry.

:negative:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuuuuck. I spent a little time experimenting last night with head slot items, and nothing worked. That's... Well, I guess it bolsters that area's unique effect of turning you into a corner-peeking pussy.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

Oh :v: Well, it's pretty straight forward. They deal really good damage and can stunlock most enemies to death, since they also use little stamina. A Greatsword of similar scaling/upgrade path will only deal like 20% more damage than a Straight Sword counterpart, while being considerably slower and using huge amounts of stamina. It's pretty broken, basically.

Oh, I've been using the Uchitinaga, however it's spelled, with a fire enchant and it's pretty much tearing rear end through my first play through. That plus luck and I get stuff to bleed out quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Are there any weapons with good natural dark scaling, or am I just going to make a dark mace to go with my fire and lightning ones?