Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Sorry uk goon! 275 litres! I will post some ftw when I get this fecking brown poo poo sorted.

Tank is 60gal with sump 30gal. 275 gallons is the dream :cheers:

Hah, that makes a lot more sense. I'm hoping to upgrade to a cube your size soon, or maybe move up to the 90g/340liter. I really love that form factor.

A huge tank would be awesome, until I stop to think about how much water changes would end up costing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Woke up this morning to a cloudy tank, not sure what happened until I looked at the MP-10, full of anemone guts :smithicide:

Did a 5gal water change, which is all I had on hand, dropped in a new carbon sock and blocked the overflow with carbon/soil infused filter floss. Hopefully that's enough.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Shiiiit

http://imgur.com/62R7sX8

Thinking more rock needed. I would dearly love to try the marine pure blocks but hahaha at uk prices.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

Woke up this morning to a cloudy tank, not sure what happened until I looked at the MP-10, full of anemone guts :smithicide:

Did a 5gal water change, which is all I had on hand, dropped in a new carbon sock and blocked the overflow with carbon/soil infused filter floss. Hopefully that's enough.

Same thing happened to my clone of your nem so apparently it was a suicide pact.

E: 4/20 propeller erry year

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 15, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Lost my tiny yellow clown goby. Just withered away. I think he wasn't getting enough food. How long are they supposed to live anyway? I think I had him like four years.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Never had success with small gobies unless in a species specific tank, I guess copepods?

So what do we reckon Cyano or Dinos?
https://imgur.com/a/wziXZ

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I'd call that dinoflagellates for sure but luckily most of the 'cures' are the same for both, you just can't half-rear end the cures with dinos. Solid pH above 8.4, alkalinity and nitrogen in check then 3 full days of 100% blackout.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

Same thing happened to my clone of your nem so apparently it was a suicide pact.

E: 4/20 propeller erry year

Bummer. The one that took the plunge was the newest split, that leaves 3 in the tank currently. Turned off the MP10 out of paranoia last night but none of the others moved.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Wandering Orange posted:

I'd call that dinoflagellates for sure but luckily most of the 'cures' are the same for both, you just can't half-rear end the cures with dinos. Solid pH above 8.4, alkalinity and nitrogen in check then 3 full days of 100% blackout.

I am in the middle of a 3 day blackout, but with only fish in there might extend it to a week. My alk is 14, my ph is 8.3. gently caress knows how my alk went mental as I don't dose but is that going to cause me issues? oh and SG was a little low but bumped it back to 1.025.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

That sounds like a bad test kit especially if you're not dosing, have no coral. What kit/device is it?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Wandering Orange posted:

That sounds like a bad test kit especially if you're not dosing, have no coral. What kit/device is it?

I checked with 2 kits. The Red Sea one and the Hagen one. I then rang my mate at my old work and he said they had a bad batch of the salt I was using before my current bucket... Nothing using it up and adding more with every water change I guess. Pretty sure its not causing any issues for the fish but is it going to cause the Dinos to stick around?

I hate this hobby sometimes.

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 15, 2016

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
Does anyone know anything about keeping or obtaining cuttlefish? They seem to be pretty rare in the hobby and i figured someone would have some aquacultured specimens available more often by now but maybe they are really difficult to breed. Seems like they're an easier cephalopod to keep than octopus but I can't find much information about them

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Vessel From Denny posted:

Does anyone know anything about keeping or obtaining cuttlefish? They seem to be pretty rare in the hobby and i figured someone would have some aquacultured specimens available more often by now but maybe they are really difficult to breed. Seems like they're an easier cephalopod to keep than octopus but I can't find much information about them

I knew I saw something on the BRS youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uh6q2UCu8w

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

The high alk shouldn't affect anything since you don't have coral, it's just out of whack like you mentioned. Bad salt adding nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) or phosphate would drive the dino growth though.

Your test results list 0 mg/L (1 ppm = 1 mg/L) for phosphate but I'd be interested to know how that measurement was done and what the kit/device lists for precision, range and resolution. If I'm measuring PO4, I use one of these (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphate-low-range-colorimeter-hi713-hanna-checker-hc-fresh-marine-water.html) Hanna checkers that is spec'd at +/- 0.04 ppm precision, 0.00 to 2.50 ppm range and 0.01 ppm resolution. My go-to source for reef parameters (Randy Holmes-Farley) says keep it below 0.03ppm for phosphate in reef tanks* so that's why knowing your test specifications is a big deal.

*FOWLR's and phosphate are probably a 'keep it low enough that it doesn't grow algae' situation so I'm not sure what the magic number is.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I only have the Hagen titration kit and it's not great. The next colour up is 0.5!!! Hanna checkers are expensive her in the uk from what I can see. Just bought a new bubble magus c7 so the Mrs would kill me if I spent that much on a tester!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Well the other issue is that the dinos are probably consuming all the available phosphate anyways so a more expensive, higher resolution test kit might not show you anything new! I think your game plan should be to continue the blackout while you get the skimmer dialed in and pick up some macro algae. You'll need something to consume all the nutrients that are released as the dinos die off so you need to make sure your chaeto (or whatever macro algae) is in the best position to do that. Also, good salt so you can do water changes with known 0/0/0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate 0 phosphate saltwater.

Dinos are a pain in the dick but you can defeat them just like any other nuisance algae! Just keep at it and know what you're putting into the tank versus what you're taking out.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Hands up which idiot ordered a led grow bulb from china in 110V and not the 220V one this county uses... ahhhh

Yeah tank has be neglected recently with only 2 clowns and a half black angel in it so only small amounts of food. Just added a Picasso Trigger and a brown sailfin tang so more food but not loads so nutrients should start dropping. Skimmer has been in a week and its awesome!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Well the blackout has completely cleaner the gravel! Like brand new which is nice. The rear glass needs a scrape and the filter sock should get the poo poo out when I do but going to leave it a few more days. Fish are all happy and good lord this skimmer was a good buy for £50!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

thegasman2000 posted:

Oh and got a new fish! A nice 5" humu humu called manu.

http://imgur.com/OfnKO8l

I love humu humu's so much. Gorgeous fish.

So I'm having a weird issue. My melanurus wrasse always used to go to sleep around 7pm, regardless of what the tank lights were doing. Last week he started bedding down before I get home from work. He doesn't wake up until after I leave for work. I'm worried he's going to starve to death :ohdear:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I love humu humu's so much. Gorgeous fish.

So I'm having a weird issue. My melanurus wrasse always used to go to sleep around 7pm, regardless of what the tank lights were doing. Last week he started bedding down before I get home from work. He doesn't wake up until after I leave for work. I'm worried he's going to starve to death :ohdear:

Don't worry, he won't starve, he'll just start eating your cleanup crew!

I hate mine so much :(

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Whats the lowdown on the melanarus? I was thinking about picking up a Melanarus Wrasse, a McCosker Flasher Wrasse and and a Six Line.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

visuvius posted:

Whats the lowdown on the melanarus? I was thinking about picking up a Melanarus Wrasse, a McCosker Flasher Wrasse and and a Six Line.

I would skip the six line if I were you. He will pick on the others. You could do a pair of melanarus. Or if you want to really go hog wild, a pair of flame wrasse.

-e- You have sandy substrate right? The melanarus will bury itself in the sand to sleep.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

visuvius posted:

I haven't owned any of the others but my Melanurus is pretty chill. Gorgeous fish. The trigger chases him now and then but he doesn't seem to get too flustered by it. I don't have any inverts so I don't know if he would mess with them or not.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Mine hasn't eaten any inverts that I've noticed. But all I have is snails hermits and a giant coral banded shrimp and nobody fucks with him.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
How many of you quarantine fish?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I QT everything now. Got lax last year and didn't QT an urchin, and ended up killing off all my fish with a velvet outbreak that must have come in with the bag water. Watching your tank sit fallow for three months majorly sucks. Always QT.

Caveat: I don't quarantine corals, but they get a good dip before they go in my tank. And I don't add any water that I don't mix myself.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I QT everything now. Got lax last year and didn't QT an urchin, and ended up killing off all my fish with a velvet outbreak that must have come in with the bag water. Watching your tank sit fallow for three months majorly sucks. Always QT.

Caveat: I don't quarantine corals, but they get a good dip before they go in my tank. And I don't add any water that I don't mix myself.

I buy everything from the same store, water, fish, inverts, they quarantine all of their stuff before it gets put into the display/sale system, so I'm not worried about it.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I had the same 5 fish for 3 years basically, Picasso Pair, Randall's Goby, a decent size Bangai Cardinal and a small Blue Tang with HLLE. The Cardinal was the last fish added and that was 2.5 years ago. Last Saturday I decided to add a Kole Eye Tang. By Monday evening, the Tang and Cardinal were dead and the Goby is missing. Clowns are still okay but I'm super worried about them. The Kole Eye is fine and hasn't actually been aggressive at all.

I am really bummed but I just don't have the room or time for a loving quarantine tank.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
It's one of those topics that people will argue about! I don't as I don't have he space for a proper setup and think the stress of moving fish is the biggest risk. That said I would definitely dip corals and susceptible fish like powder blue tangs.

Here is a fts. Need to work on the scape and clean the glass and stuff but I know what the thread is like for pics!
http://imgur.com/b3Heur2

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Found some aiptasia in my sump over the past few weeks, so I spent a good chunk of yesterday tearing apart my sump, and gave everything a real thorough cleaning with vinegar. First time that's been done since I set the tank up a year and a half ago. Tried to save as many of the good critters as I could, it's pretty crazy the variety of life that just shows up in a sw tank.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Haven't seen my wrasse in a week :(

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Is it new? I know some go missing for a while and pop up again. Hopefully you have a hide a seek champion!

Anyone looked at aquaforest? A mate who sells corals and stuff is raving about it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Is it new? I know some go missing for a while and pop up again. Hopefully you have a hide a seek champion!

Anyone looked at aquaforest? A mate who sells corals and stuff is raving about it.

Had him for a couple months now but a few weeks ago my yellow tang died and it threw off the social dynamics in the tank. The tang kept my triggerfish inline and I suspect he's been harassing him.

E: Caught a 1 second glimpse of him this morning. He buried himself as soon as he saw me.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 6, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Think my theory was right. I added a new yellow tang last night. The trigger went after him a little bit but I think he respects the tang's tail slash now. The wrasse has reappeared and stayed out all morning :)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Does anyone does aminos?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

What the hell is this weird purple alien jizz growing in my tank? It's soft and generally formed of globs stuck to the rocks with some tendrils growing upwards almost like they're dripping upside down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Looks like some sponges. Pretty ownage, really.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
/r/reeftank agrees with you. There are already some small pineapple sponges in there so I figured other sponges would be similarly regular instead of irregular blobs of purple goo. I assume it's fairly benign and won't hurt anything?

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 11, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I know there are a number of Chicago area folks here, does anyone have a recommendation for a tank moving company? I have zero interest in ever lifting my 125 again, but I just got a quote for $500-600 dollars to move an already broken down tank, which is... not what I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Slugworth posted:

I know there are a number of Chicago area folks here, does anyone have a recommendation for a tank moving company? I have zero interest in ever lifting my 125 again, but I just got a quote for $500-600 dollars to move an already broken down tank, which is... not what I was expecting.

Where in Chicago are you? PM me more details and your contact info? I might be able to help.

• Locked thread