Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Anyone doing Apple upgrade program through citizens one ever change their credit card? Why is this so elusive a process?

Edit: figured it out. Had to find my original receipt with account number on it and register both phones at poo poo citizensone website.

Fuckin' Costco AMEX... Fuckin' Apple for having a difficult process.

benisntfunny fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't think even the Vodafone app was pre installed at an OS level. It was probably setup and had the app installed for you through iTunes but nothing more.

All iPhones, at an OS level, are essentially identical to one another. There's no third party bloat ware like Android or carrier branding aside from the carrier being listed in the status bar.

Nope.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I'm trying to upgrade my wife's old prepaid iPhone 4 8gb to an SE and Verizon sure is difficult to buy from. Having a separate storefront for prepaid that only has 3 colors and only 16gb models is weird. Not being able to specify that you want to upgrade your existing phone if you're on prepaid is weird. The only options are to get a new number or to transfer your number from another provider. Probably just going to end up ordering from Apple.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Gonna need some sort of documentation of it being otherwise. There's no way Apple lets Vodafone have or make their own version of iOS that has the app preinstalled.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So Apple Music has been doing a terrible job of matching songs in my library lately. 75% of my live songs on my home desktop PC play the studio version on other devices. And then there's this slight mismatch:

Has anyone else seen some really bad song matching lately? It used to work just fine.

Apple Music is poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple Music is poo poo.

Actually it's good.

Sorry it doesn't suit your edge case needs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I like Apple Music. The only annoyance I have with it is that it sometimes repeats playlist on the For You recommendations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WetSpink posted:

I'm trying to upgrade my wife's old prepaid iPhone 4 8gb to an SE and Verizon sure is difficult to buy from. Having a separate storefront for prepaid that only has 3 colors and only 16gb models is weird. Not being able to specify that you want to upgrade your existing phone if you're on prepaid is weird. The only options are to get a new number or to transfer your number from another provider. Probably just going to end up ordering from Apple.

Just buy from Apple. I don't even know why you'd bother buying from a carrier.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Endless Mike posted:

Just buy from Apple. I don't even know why you'd bother buying from a carrier.
Well some still do the 2-year contract deal. I got my 64GB SE for 50 bucks.

I'm also grandfathered into an old plan, so I like to work directly through the carrier to make sure the upgrade goes through without changing anything. Not sure how necessary that is but it gives me peace of mind at least.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 15, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Gonna need some sort of documentation of it being otherwise. There's no way Apple lets Vodafone have or make their own version of iOS that has the app preinstalled.

They don't. It's impossible by design of the iOS ecosystem for apps to be loaded onto the device in this manner.

This won't stop El Bromance from claiming otherwise and citing personal experience to back it up, even if you literally point him to a report which cites it is impossible [in this case the iOS whitepapers].

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Carriers can add their own bookmarks to Safari, so maybe what appears to be a Vodaphone app is actually a home screen bookmark shortcut? Not sure if that's possible, but I've definitely set up new iPhones with carrier SIMs and seen bookmarks for the carrier's website appear in Safari's bookmarks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weedle posted:

Carriers can add their own bookmarks to Safari, so maybe what appears to be a Vodaphone app is actually a home screen bookmark shortcut? Not sure if that's possible, but I've definitely set up new iPhones with carrier SIMs and seen bookmarks for the carrier's website appear in Safari's bookmarks.

It might have been that then. There was definitely something added because I remember thinking they were dicks for doing it, as all my previous phones were from o2 that had nothing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How does that work? Every iPhone I've gotten has been like, a Hello screen and nothing, then you take it home and plug it into iTunes and restore, or select "set up as new" from the opening splash. This seems just like a restore to me but is it different somehow?

If you restore one of these carrier phones does it still have the carrier poo poo in it? How? :psyduck:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe it comes in as part of the configuration thing that happens when you pop in a new SIM for a different carrier? Like an optional push of apps or Safari bookmarks in addition to the usual network settings and a logo in the status bar?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

They can lock down features like tethering though. But I don't think any carriers are doing that these days.

I have an iPhone SE on Sprint and tethering is disabled. It has always been disabled on every iPhone (5 and 6) I've had on Sprint. Yes, Sprint has the crappiest policies, but tethering blocks are still alive and well, sadly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tethering blocks are dependent on plan. Any current post-paid plan will include tethering (since tethering = data use = you might bump to a higher data tier), though there's certainly lots of people on legacy plans that don't include the feature as part of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Tethering blocks are dependent on plan. Any current post-paid plan will include tethering (since tethering = data use = you might bump to a higher data tier), though there's certainly lots of people on legacy plans that don't include the feature as part of it.
Yeah I still have a $30 $35 unlimited plan from my 3GS and there's no tethering.

Contemplating a switch when I get an iPhone 7 this fall since I don't use that much data, but I feel like at some point I will!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Random thing for case chat: just got a new Mophie "Reserve" case for my 6S and it's pretty drat nice and not bulky. Just saying, I know its it saddle brown, but it's the best battery case I've seen yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

My 6S+ spontaneously started running like complete poo poo last night and I have no idea what's causing it. I uninstalled the only recent apps I had installed, tried restarting the phone, and I'm still not seeing what's up.

I'm not talking a little performance issue either, I'm getting like, single digit framerates on the home screen, and constantly pausing when trying to do stuff. I'm not really even sure what to look at that could the issue.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

My 6S+ spontaneously started running like complete poo poo last night and I have no idea what's causing it. I uninstalled the only recent apps I had installed, tried restarting the phone, and I'm still not seeing what's up.

I'm not talking a little performance issue either, I'm getting like, single digit framerates on the home screen, and constantly pausing when trying to do stuff. I'm not really even sure what to look at that could the issue.

Back it up and reload it, if it is still doing it after that, reload it and set it up as new, if it's *still* doing it after that, take it to the Apple Store there's something wrong with it.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I put the Public Beta profile on my iPhone 6 to get the 9.3 beta. I deleted the profile after the upgrade to the official 9.3.1, but also after 9.3.2 beta had been released. I didn't upgrade to 9.3.2 beta and don't want to, but even though I've deleted the beta profile it keeps reminding me to upgrade every day or so. Is there any way to make it stop?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pertplus posted:

I put the Public Beta profile on my iPhone 6 to get the 9.3 beta. I deleted the profile after the upgrade to the official 9.3.1, but also after 9.3.2 beta had been released. I didn't upgrade to 9.3.2 beta and don't want to, but even though I've deleted the beta profile it keeps reminding me to upgrade every day or so. Is there any way to make it stop?

Restore your phone through iTunes. There's really no other way to fix a strange profile issue. I had this same issue with the iOS 9 beta and my 6.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Back it up and reload it, if it is still doing it after that, reload it and set it up as new, if it's *still* doing it after that, take it to the Apple Store there's something wrong with it.

Is that just through Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings? I will try that if so, and see what happens.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is that just through Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings? I will try that if so, and see what happens.

No you'll need to connect it to a computer with iTunes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You have two options.

1. Plug it into a computer with iTunes, create an encrypted backup and unplug it and reset everything, then plug it back in and restore from your backup. This restore will only take a couple of hours and most of your login stuff in your apps will remain intact.

2. Backup to iCloud, reset your phone and restore it to the iCloud backup. This may take all night and day and I don't know how your passwords work and poo poo.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Traded in my 5C for a 6SE. Can't wait to get it in the mail. Store was all sold out.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

rear end Catchcum posted:

Traded in my 5C for a 6SE. Can't wait to get it in the mail. Store was all sold out.

Given the apparent still ongoing drought of SE stock globally, Apple seems to have vastly underestimated the demand for these phones despite that fact they sold 30 million far less appealing 4 inchers in last year alone.

BTW, I checked out the SE on display at a retail store. With my current 6S+ side by side, the viewing angles is obviously worse on the SE, but I can't see any difference in the supposedly worse contrast ratio on the SE at least in indoor lighting.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tuyop posted:

You have two options.

1. Plug it into a computer with iTunes, create an encrypted backup and unplug it and reset everything, then plug it back in and restore from your backup. This restore will only take a couple of hours and most of your login stuff in your apps will remain intact.

2. Backup to iCloud, reset your phone and restore it to the iCloud backup. This may take all night and day and I don't know how your passwords work and poo poo.

If you intend to restore, always do 1. It's not only much faster, but as you point out it is the only way to bring over credentials. iCloud backups don't store logins.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Now for a question you've all heard before: I've got some sort of ratcheting effect with the "other" space on my iPhone. All the specifically enumerated data with all my music and apps and email cache and all of that wouldn't account for 1/3 of total iphone space, but I keep running out, keep clearing space, it runs out. I've been uninstalling and reinstalling apps that tend to expand (social media, etc) and have put the kibosh on Apple music download.

Any way to solve this issue? It's one I've always had but I'd like to be able to take photos without rearranging my deck chairs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm not sure which thread to ask in, but any advice about getting a prepaid SIM for an iPhone when traveling to Europe?

My dad is going to France and Spain for about 21 days this summer, and has an ATT iPhone 5S. I'm thinking getting a European SIM for a month will end up being a lot easier and cheaper for him than using the ATT International options.

I understand that he'll probably have to get his phone unlocked by ATT first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's probably an ask tell thread that can help you out with that. It'll likely depend on what country you start in and yes you'll need to get it unlocked.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My dad is going to France and Spain for about 21 days this summer, and has an ATT iPhone 5S. I'm thinking getting a European SIM for a month will end up being a lot easier and cheaper for him than using the ATT International options.

It may sound counter-intuitive but he might want to look at getting a sim from Three in the UK - theirs are covered by a "Feel at Home" clause where roaming to certain countries is free up to your regular allowance. There may be another sim that covers both Spain and France native to one of those countries, but Three would do it too..

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for that, but it looks like that has one deal breaker in it -- the only calls you can make are to UK numbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He could always just get a T-Mobile plan for a month. They include international data and text roaming on their plans and fairly cheap calling.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm not sure which thread to ask in, but any advice about getting a prepaid SIM for an iPhone when traveling to Europe?

I understand that he'll probably have to get his phone unlocked by ATT first.

If he's landing in Spain, he just needs to go to any number of prepaid phone kiosks and ask for a prepaid with whatever he wants on it. 10 euros covered me for voice+data for 2 weeks, though I think I made like 3 phone calls. Pretty sure we used Spanish Orange as the carrier but I forget, I just went with whatever the kiosk dude recommended.

I would bet France works the same way. Would highly recommend this route over any kind of US carrier's international plan.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks for that, but it looks like that has one deal breaker in it -- the only calls you can make are to UK numbers.

Balls, I completely forgot that part. I guess it would still apply as the cheapest option if he needed mainly data, but yeah that won't work out for calls. Sorry!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't UK sims from Three work abroad in some countries now?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kalman posted:

If he's landing in Spain, he just needs to go to any number of prepaid phone kiosks and ask for a prepaid with whatever he wants on it. 10 euros covered me for voice+data for 2 weeks, though I think I made like 3 phone calls. Pretty sure we used Spanish Orange as the carrier but I forget, I just went with whatever the kiosk dude recommended.

I would bet France works the same way. Would highly recommend this route over any kind of US carrier's international plan.
Yeah I'm thinking of telling him to do that in France, then again in Spain when he gets there. Waiting to hear about his expected phone (call) use.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't UK sims from Three work abroad in some countries now?
Looks like they do, but making calls to the US seems either impossible or expensive.

Also counter-intuitively, the T-Mobile Simple Choice plan for a month looks like it might be a decent fit, too. Since he's more about calls and texts than heavy data use.

Thanks for the help, guys.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I got a 3 SIM card in Ireland last month and it worked fine in the UK at least for data. I randomly got texts saying I was going over some roaming limit but I just ignored them and used my phone with zero issues.

It was 20 euro and worth every penny. I paid in cash (they actually only accept cash at the 3 store I was at) so it's not like I'm going to pay the overages which I'm sure they'd expect me to pay if I were to re up for another month....

If I go back I'll just get a new SIM card and be back in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey so I don't listen to music off my iPhone much these days. Anyway, I have a lot of tracks that were [are?] Physically on my iPhone. I am on a flight now. I even have wifi. I go to play songs I own(ed?) locally and it thinks for a few seconds and then gives me some bullshit error pop up about this file format is not supported. For every track of the thousands I own.

What gives?!