Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lycus posted:

People love this show much more than they admit.

Season 5 was awful but Seasons 1-4 were great. So I'm foolishly going to keep watching. Also I have nothing better to do with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unless this season is a huge bloodbath that kills off a bunch of plotlines I don't see how its reasonably doable. Dany coming to Westeros and conquering Westeros could be a full length season on its own. Then you have to have satisfying endings to a number of other plotlines and oh yeah there's a huge army of the dead bearing south that needs to be dealt with.

I'm betting Dany will probably not actually conquer all of Westeros. She'll probably conquer a little bit, ally with most of remaining protagonists, then in the penultimate episode of the season, have a climactic dragonback fight against Euron. Then on to the White Walkers.

I'm expecting more action than surprises, basically.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 15, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 5 was awful but Seasons 1-4 were great. So I'm foolishly going to keep watching. Also I have nothing better to do with my life.

House of Cards bounced back massively this year after a poo poo season last year, so it's equally possible this show will as well.

I actually feel like this season is going to resolve a lot of the Northern politics between the Boltons, the Starks and the various vassals. I think that also means the focus of next season could be on another 3-way war between a unified North under Jon, the Tyrells/Lannisters, and the Dornish. I think there's enough potential for good political drama in there, especially with the minor independent players like Brienne, Littlefinger, Sansa etc.

Which sets things up nicely for another table flip when the Wall comes down and Drogon torches Kings Landing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unless this season is a huge bloodbath that kills off a bunch of plotlines I don't see how its reasonably doable. Dany coming to Westeros and conquering Westeros could be a full length season on its own. Then you have to have satisfying endings to a number of other plotlines and oh yeah there's a huge army of the dead bearing south that needs to be dealt with.

This season will probably end with Dany coming over to Westeros (maybe a little incursion like the JonCon chapters in ADWD), Arya heading back, the Bolton plotline taken care of, and maybe the Wall crumbling and falling.

That'll leave S7 with a bunch of Northern battles with the ice zombies and Dany consolidating in the South, and then S8 is the final "Ice and Fire" stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If the show can really spread its wings and actually progress the plot into new territory this season it might be good. The last couple seasons have been mired in their adaptation of books 4 and 5 and not all of it has been that good.

Or it might turn out that when they're on their own without books to adapt they're completely hopeless and bungle the whole thing. Either way I'm interested in seeing it!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Oh, it's doable. The only potential organised resistance to Dany right now, besides Euron and his kidnap-a-dragon idiocy, is the Lannister-Tyrell alliance with Tommen as the figurehead. And guess what's coming to an end this season in King's Landing?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Emilia Clarke's been reading some goon poo poo.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

computer parts posted:

This season will probably end with Dany coming over to Westeros (maybe a little incursion like the JonCon chapters in ADWD), Arya heading back, the Bolton plotline taken care of, and maybe the Wall crumbling and falling.
Almost correct, except for the Dany part. She's still in Meereen in the last episode.

I think she'll actually spend the entire next season moving through Essos. She will probably need to stop in Volantis, because of the slaves and Yara (and possibly Theon) there. Then she'll probably have a fight with Euron over the Narrow Sea, like Lycus said. I think that by the time she arrives in King's Landing, Jaime will have probably killed Cersei, leaving the Iron Throne vacant.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season will have JonGhost ripping Olly's stomach open and eating all the potatoes. It's gonna rock.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

meristem posted:

Almost correct, except for the Dany part. She's still in Meereen in the last episode.

I think she'll actually spend the entire next season moving through Essos. She will probably need to stop in Volantis, because of the slaves and Yara (and possibly Theon) there. Then she'll probably have a fight with Euron over the Narrow Sea, like Lycus said. I think that by the time she arrives in King's Landing, Jaime will have probably killed Cersei, leaving the Iron Throne vacant.

When you say "next season", do you mean season 6? Because yeah I agree she probably isn't going back to Meereen at all until maybe late in the season. Though it'd be cool if the only way to convince the Dothraki to follow her across the sea to Westeros was by burning down Meereen (and destroying everything she worked so hard to build). If she looks back, she is lost and all that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having watched all 5 seasons not that long ago, it's still pretty good. The bad is just super bad. All of dorne, (except Bronn Bronning) just really, really pulled it down badly. Barristan being fat and dying was also pretty lame even if he did go down with a pretty sweet K/D.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In fact HBO should just option a Bronn the sell sword series that ends with him going to grab some dinner at the inn where he meets Tyrion because I'd watch the gently caress out of him riding about sassin' lord and killin' folk for money.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

meristem posted:

I think she'll actually spend the entire next season moving through Essos.

God I hope not.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

webmeister posted:

When you say "next season", do you mean season 6? Because yeah I agree she probably isn't going back to Meereen at all until maybe late in the season. Though it'd be cool if the only way to convince the Dothraki to follow her across the sea to Westeros was by burning down Meereen (and destroying everything she worked so hard to build). If she looks back, she is lost and all that.
No, I meant season 7. We know that Dany is still in Meereen in S6 E10. She goes there with the Dothraki, I guess to relieve the city from the Harpy/Yunkish forces.

I simply think that, given that Yara is transferring to Volantis, Euron is in the show, the show will probably not want to forgo fighting on dragonback, and Dany hasn't really had a good opponent in her storyline, her story in season 7 will focus on entangling her with the Greyjoys. Also, if Euron starts season 7 by capturing Sam in Oldtown, and then ends it by passing him to Dany, this could lead to Sam's current story not being completely useless.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

meristem posted:

No, I meant season 7. We know that Dany is still in Meereen in S6 E10.

Source?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Inherent human Nihilism.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

BlindSite posted:

In fact HBO should just option a Bronn the sell sword series that ends with him going to grab some dinner at the inn where he meets Tyrion because I'd watch the gently caress out of him riding about sassin' lord and killin' folk for money.

The Tales of Bronn And Pod would make a great companion piece to Dunk & Egg. Imagine: HBO doesn't want the show to end, but instead get two spin-offs, one GRRM-written and one D&D-penned. Or something like that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This year Apoplexy is an executive manager at HBO.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, gurm doesn't write. That's like his thing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

BlindSite posted:

Better Call Bronn

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
The Dothraki charge in one of the trailers is from that episode, as per L7R. Also, that really long doc I posted upthread has filming spoilers for Dany and Tyrion for almost the entire season. Clarke and Dinklage did no external shots for anywhere except the Dothraki/Meereen plotlines, and on the other hand we know that Dany and Tyrion meet again. So, L7R is probably correct.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

meristem posted:

No, I meant season 7. We know that Dany is still in Meereen in S6 E10. She goes there with the Dothraki, I guess to relieve the city from the Harpy/Yunkish forces.

I simply think that, given that Yara is transferring to Volantis, Euron is in the show, the show will probably not want to forgo fighting on dragonback, and Dany hasn't really had a good opponent in her storyline, her story in season 7 will focus on entangling her with the Greyjoys. Also, if Euron starts season 7 by capturing Sam in Oldtown, and then ends it by passing him to Dany, this could lead to Sam's current story not being completely useless.

So Meereen is going to be attacked in the show after all? Do people think that's why Tyrion frees Rhaegal and Viserion?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Meereen isn't getting attacked from the outside. The Harpies are just really really good at their jobs. I'm not so confident about that as to toxx but I think that's how they'll shorten the storyline.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Beeez posted:

Do people think that's why Tyrion frees Rhaegal and Viserion?

He frees them because he's a nice person that realizes punishing two innocent dragons that have only ever worked hard to help their 'mom', for the actions of their rear end in a top hat brother, is wrong.

Then they end up eating Kelly C and Tumblr will bitterly complain about the evil male dragons keeping another strong independent woman down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
They still might leave at the end of the season, which doesn't really change all that much since travel time is incredibly variable in this series.

I'll bet they land in Dorne though, partially to reuse sets and partially as a nod to Nymeria for book readers.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The upcoming Daenerys Targaryen/Finnick Odair crossover movie sure looks promising! Especially the moment when Drogon eats President Snow alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh993__rOxA

ETA: Just noticed that Tywin also makes a cameo.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 15, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Olly's stomach is full of potato salad. Do they have mayo in GOT?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This season will have JonGhost ripping Olly's stomach open and eating all the potatoes. It's gonna rock.

Or peeled by Ramsay.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

lifts cats over head posted:

Better Call Bronn

American Hodor Story

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

clown shoes posted:

American Hodor Story

The Miller's Wife vs. Roose Bolton: Westeros Crime Story

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would rather see the Bronny Bunch, watch Bronn get fat and old while his kids combined with Tyrion's bastard children get up to mad cap fun. Tyrion is the neat one, Bronn is the slob. Kind of a mix of Odd Couple and Brady Bunch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

less laughter posted:

The upcoming Daenerys Targaryen/Finnick Odair crossover movie sure looks promising! Especially the moment when Drogon eats President Snow alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh993__rOxA

ETA: Just noticed that Tywin also makes a cameo.

Oh good another "beautiful physically perfect wheelchair bound dude who dont exist(i know i am one,sorta) gets the girl/and or dies movie.

computer parts posted:

That'll leave S7 with a bunch of Northern battles with the ice zombies and Dany consolidating in the South, and then S8 is the final "Ice and Fire" stuff.

Pretty much. pretty much all the shitheads of the north (ramsay, roose, walder frey) are going to die as are probably the sparrows and maybe cersie. to make way for new baddies, probaly euron and littlefinger along with the white walkers and maybe dany if she flips the coin wrong.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh good another "beautiful physically perfect wheelchair bound dude who dont exist(i know i am one,sorta) gets the girl/and or dies movie.

Pretty much. pretty much all the shitheads of the north (ramsay, roose, walder frey) are going to die as are probably the sparrows and maybe cersie. to make way for new baddies, probaly euron and littlefinger along with the white walkers and maybe dany if she flips the coin wrong.

I really doubt the show will turn audience favorite Dany into a vilain

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really doubt the show will turn audience favorite Dany into a vilain

at this point, probably not, but a person can dream. I think it would be an interesting idea. its shown that she isn't that great of leader and makes tons of dumb decisions because she is extremely idealism and makes overly rash decisions. I could totally see her descending into madness like her dear old dad did.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 15, 2016

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It would be a good thing to have the narrative of hero/villain be dependent on what POV they're filming the scenes, but I doubt D&D have that kind of ability.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone post the original Olly/writer joke again?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Daenerys honestly makes more sense as a villain at this point in the story. I find it interesting how differently D&D seem to view Daenerys and Stannis when the two characters are actually rather similar. Both are obsessed with getting what's "rightfully" theirs after feeling put upon by their siblings and living in their shadows their entire lives. Their interest in justice at times seems to serve these ends as well, in that both Stannis and Daenerys do many things that seem to reinforce their self-image and further their self-serving ambitions while acting like it's all just how it's "supposed" to be.

Stannis has changed a little bit after ACoK, as his experiences have driven him more and more toward a sense that there really is a malevolent force out there that makes all of his petty vindictiveness meaningless, as well as teaching him that he has to compromise sometimes. Daenerys, on the other hand, remains ignorant of the existence of the Others so far, and in fact when she tried the route of compromise in Meereen she ended up being incapable of keeping that up, with her last chapter being a vision quest where every voice she hears tells her to simply embrace her family's legacy of brutality and ambitions to conquer. Yet Stannis is viewed by D&D as someone who is totally a slave to his ambitions, while they really try to portray Daenerys (I would argue unconvincingly) as this revolutionary messiah.

Seems weird to, in a series that notably subverts and plays with much of the trappings of fantasy, play Daenerys totally straight as a divinely appointed ruler whose suitability for the throne is determined in large part by dint of her supernatural mutant powers, but I suppose that could be an issue with Jon Snow becoming King at the end as well if there are no twists to his story after he comes back. But so far the show has seemed far more assured in the justness of Daenerys' overall cause and her implicit righteousness than it has been with even the Starks. They've portrayed Tyrion similarly for the most part, but his quest has now been absorbed into Daenerys'.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Beeez posted:

So Meereen is going to be attacked in the show after all? Do people think that's why Tyrion frees Rhaegal and Viserion?
Kinda sorta. The Harpy will have help from Yunkai, because the actor who played that rear end in a top hat from season... 3, I think?... is back and apparently has scenes with Yezzan. But I don't think the show had the budget for a full-on second battle in one season.

That said, there will be a lot of crowd scenes this season. I think the doc mentions one with around a thousand extras in Meereen or so.

As for the dragons, well. Internal shots and CGI, meaning no idea.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

meristem posted:

Kinda sorta. The Harpy will have help from Yunkai, because the actor who played that rear end in a top hat from season... 3, I think?... is back and apparently has scenes with Yezzan. But I don't think the show had the budget for a full-on second battle in one season.

That said, there will be a lot of crowd scenes this season. I think the doc mentions one with around a thousand extras in Meereen or so.

As for the dragons, well. Internal shots and CGI, meaning no idea.

They could just do another lazy wide shot battle scene like they did with Stannis where you saw his army about to get smashed and then smash cut Stannis loses gently caress you for paying attention to this story for three years.

Except in this case it would probably just be the two dragons melting everyone after Tyrion lets them loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone post the original Olly/writer joke again?

It's not a joke: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/08/12/idea-landed-dave-hill-writing-position-game-thrones-season-5/

quote:

“We had an assistant named Dave Hill,” say Benioff and Weiss. “One day last summer he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that kid whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?’

‘Yeah?’

‘Well,’ said Dave, ‘doesn’t it make sense that he’d stay at Castle Black and become a Night’s Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?’

‘You’re right,’ we said. ‘That does make sense.’

‘And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he’s the one who ends up killing Ygritte?’

This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show.”

• Locked thread