Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

XMNN posted:

that's all a bonus but if literally the only thing they did was fight violent racists in the street because they enjoy it that would actually be pretty ok and positive imho because violent racists seem p bad, to me

"Thats just like your opinion man"
-a piece of poo poo liberal coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My great grandparents didn't fight in World War two so a bunch of punk antifascists could beat up fascists.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Some people ITT need to actually do some critical thinking about what violence/force actually is and how it applies to society and laws. IE a law is forced upon you via the threat of violence. Most people are ok with this setup. Why? Because violence works. You can say it doesn't but no one will hear you because violence has made you A) Exiled B) Imprisoned C) Submissive or D) Dead. Now you can fight society and laws with your own violence and if you win, congratulations you're now the king. Strangely enough those fields full of dead liberals aren't saying violence doesn't work anymore.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
As if Truro isn't a shithole in its own right.

XMNN posted:

if the anti fascists stick to beating the poo poo out of fascists id ont give a gently caress if theyr thugs
Yeah same. That whole discussion seemed like a bunch of people going "Well of course I support fighting fascists, but only if the people doing it are a mismatched, ragtag group of plucky underdogs who don't enjoy it at all."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gonzo McFee posted:

My great grandparents didn't fight in World War two so a bunch of punk antifascists could beat up fascists.

Your great grandparents? Did England conscript loads of old people during WW2?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also this is bad for... Cameron?
http://www.lingscars.com/

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Some people ITT need to actually do some critical thinking about what violence/force actually is and how it applies to society and laws. IE a law is forced upon you via the threat of violence. Most people are ok with this setup. Why? Because violence works. You can say it doesn't but no one will hear you because violence has made you A) Exiled B) Imprisoned C) Submissive or D) Dead. Now you can fight society and laws with your own violence and if you win, congratulations you're now the king. Strangely enough those fields full of dead liberals aren't saying violence doesn't work anymore.

I find that a bit patronising, I've analysed critical and thought about violence and its effectiveness quite a bit and completely aware of state monopolisation of violence and yes of course violence is effective. I know that and simple dont like violence in any form be it physical or symbolic and I cant support its use at all, if you people want to say that makes me a coward I dont give a poo poo but I fully understand the arguments around this.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

big scary monsters posted:

What the hell is this? :stare:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
That's only bad for Cameron if you manage to get him to click the link and he has to look at it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Non-violence works too, but usually when it is backed up by violence that makes it look like the reasonable choice in comparison.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

I find that a bit patronising, I've analysed critical and thought about violence and its effectiveness quite a bit and completely aware of state monopolisation of violence and yes of course violence is effective. I know that and simple dont like violence in any form be it physical or symbolic and I cant support its use at all, if you people want to say that makes me a coward I dont give a poo poo but I fully understand the arguments around this.
Principled pacifism is a legitimate choice for a person to make but you should have the awareness to accept that it must be a personal choice and you can't impose it on those who might wish to defend others, or on those who might wish to be defended from violence.

Equating those people with fascists or dismissing them as thugs makes you sound like a gigantic piece of poo poo.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Miftan posted:

Dunno how old Gonzo is but WW2 started nearly 80 years ago. At one generation every 20 years that would work out fine (especially if you're properly working class and/or from a military family).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesmerga posted:

What the hell is this? :stare:

It's a work of art the likes of which have been in sad decline ever since Geocities shut down.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Dunno how old Gonzo is but WW2 started nearly 80 years ago. At one generation every 20 years that would work out fine (especially if you're properly working class and/or from a military family).

I'm in my mid-20s and my grandfather served for England. Granted he was young at the time, but a whole generation up seems weird.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miftan posted:

I'm in my mid-20s and my grandfather served for England. Granted he was young at the time, but a whole generation up seems weird.

Your grandfather sounds like a real fascist.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Miftan posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkssturm

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

England?! how dare you.

Now that's just mean.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

He was actually Polish and signed up to kill nazis. You guys wouldn't have liked him.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Miftan posted:

well yeah haven't you seen dads army?

my great grandad was in a Nazi pow camp, although tbf my grandma was 17-18 when she had my dad

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Principled pacifism is a legitimate choice for a person to make but you should have the awareness to accept that it must be a personal choice and you can't impose it on those who might wish to defend others, or on those who might wish to be defended from violence.

Equating those people with fascists or dismissing them as thugs makes you sound like a gigantic piece of poo poo.

That's fair and I was unfair in how I put what I meant.

Edit: Apparently Farage has described Obama as the most anti-British president in history, I would have gone for George Washington for the whole independence thing.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 15, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yeah same. That whole discussion seemed like a bunch of people going "Well of course I support fighting fascists, but only if the people doing it are a mismatched, ragtag group of plucky underdogs who don't enjoy it at all."

That may have applied to others, but my opinion clearly expressed is that I'm fine with people who are prepared to fight fascists so long as they're not seeking out violence. Or as Marx would have put it: from each according to his ability...

... to each according to his needs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

Edit: Apparently Farage has described Obama as the most anti-British president in history, I would have gone for George Washington for the whole independence thing.
George was more than happy to increase trade with Britain after he'd made it clear he wasn't going to pay taxes. He'd fit right in with modern patriotic British businessmen.

Andrew Jackson was probably the most anti-British president. Him or James Madison.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

George was more than happy to increase trade with Britain after he'd made it clear he wasn't going to pay taxes. He'd fit right in with modern patriotic British businessmen.

Andrew Jackson was probably the most anti-British president. Him or James Madison.

Didn't Adams like, borderline pathologically despise the British crown? He's got to be up there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

StoneOfShame posted:

Not white enough no doubt.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

It turns out I know nothing about early 19th century history, I didn't even know there was an Anglo-American war of 1812!

Edit: Yeah actually you're right I forgot how anti-British not being white was my mistake, Obama is the worst.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CoolCab posted:

Didn't Adams like, borderline pathologically despise the British crown? He's got to be up there.

Nah, that was Jefferson. Adams was one of the Federalists, who were generally pro-Britain, while Jefferson was the head of the Democratic Republicans who were pro-French. Jefferson's Secretary of State James Madison was also the President immediately after Jefferson & lead the US into the War of 1812.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

That may have applied to others, but my opinion clearly expressed is that I'm fine with people who are prepared to fight fascists so long as they're not seeking out violence. Or as Marx would have put it: from each according to his ability...

... to each according to his needs.

Nice bum-bag that bleeding thumb person has.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

It turns out I know nothing about early 19th century history, I didn't even know there was an Anglo-American war of 1812!
British troops sacked Washington DC and set the White House on fire. I'm surprised it isn't covered more.

It's one of the great British battles of the 19th century which wasn't "and then the British went to Africa/Asia/Oceania and stole all their poo poo."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Not white enough no doubt.

George Washington and the other Founding Fathers were more self-hating Britons, really.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My Great Grandad was in the international brigades.

He wanted to bash the fash so much he went to fight for a different country to do it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Going back a couple of pages to that little argument about whether Australia or Britain have a more terrible government? I think we're still slightly better than them right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's probably only because there aren't any offshore not-really-British islands with stupid backwards laws that Britain can build camps on that aren't already being using as tax havens or feudal fiefdoms or both.
At least until Cameron's Jamaican Supermax is complete.

Unrelated, I enjoyed this article:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...d-a6984411.html

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Guavanaut posted:

British troops sacked Washington DC and set the White House on fire. I'm surprised it isn't covered more.

Napoleonic wars at the same time stole all the limelight; the War of 1812 gets roped into that as a proxy war or a outlier brand extension

We got a cool song out of it though. Thanks, Francis Scott Key..
(Two songs if you like country music: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_New_Orleans)

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nobodyssweetheart posted:

We got a cool song out of it though. Thanks, Francis Scott Key..
It was Johnny Horton who wrote The Battle of New Orleans though.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Guavanaut posted:

It was Johnny Horton who wrote The Battle of New Orleans though.

You quoted me before I edited while I was looking for a link. drat.

edit edit: Jimmy Driftwood wrote Battle of New Orleans; Horton covered it. Ha! I still win

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

offshore not-really-British islands with stupid backwards laws

I can't tell if you've forgotten about Guernsey or if that's the joke.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

He mentioned the ones that are tax havens. Can't be stashing undesirables there.

(It's full)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I think Guernsey is covered by both the tax havens and private feudal fiefdoms bit.

efb

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Ah man, I haven't seen Ling's site for a few years. I'm glad to see she's keeping it up/down to standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

The site map with all current users is a communist reeducation facility. :bernpop: it is marketing genius, I almost wanted to lease a car despite having no need or desire.

• Locked thread