Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

I think so. If you can't, you can potentially join the mound makers at the end of the game, although its just as obscure.

maaaaaaaaaaaaybe

Oh boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zotix posted:

What kind of play styles are you all finding fun? I started as a knight but I think k I want to respec once I'm able to.

For me it's always a dex gank lord. Under 30% burden and a piercing sword.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Past souls games never told us, I dont' think DS3 does either.

More poise on yourself is better, but you have no idea how much this or that weapon does poise-damage. Big weapons like claymores definitely do more per-hit, not sure if its equal PPS (poise per second) to other weapons or what :cheeky:

You could reverse-engineer it with a TON of testing, I guess...

It's usually based on weapon speed - a safe rule of thumb is that slower attacks = more stagger. Strike weapons tend to be pretty effective at that, although I don't know if it's something intrinsic to strike attacks or if it's just because they generally tend to be slower, harder hitting weapons anyway.

If it's for PvP purposes, it doesn't take much. Poise seems to be a lot less effective in DS3 than previous games, so you'll find you can stagger most people even with curved swords and the like.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm dumb, where's Sirris' summon sign for the abyss watchers?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

turtlecrunch posted:

Patches is a good guy in every game.

If there is a guy that says something like "Hey I'm Patches and I'm a good guy," then his head will meet my axe halfway through the word "Patches." :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So can I still join the mound makers covenant if I fought the big tree, but didn't kill it? I did manage to get to the phase where it busts through the floor though.

Yes, but it's available much later and requires you to not have anything to do with Rosaria, the respec lady, so you don't piss off Sirris.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
I present to you a new PvP technique - The Uncanny Jumpstab!

Now all I have to do is wait for pros to figure out how to do it on command.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Stormgale posted:

^^ for no 2: They are a vague covenant hint

So I noticed most of these are hex's, so to be good at miracles I might as well go all in and go hex?

You quoted my post about hexing tools so I listed off the three best miracle hexes, sorry :v:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Abyss Walkers are my bitch, I'm having too much fun helping people wreck them over and over.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nuggan posted:

Abyss Walkers are my bitch, I'm having too much fun helping people wreck them over and over.

I was like this with the Deacons

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Uh, what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing? I'm currently all the way in the dark world firelink. Idk what the gently caress is going on in this game as far as the plot goes, why the protagonist is doing anything, why I am supposed to kill a bunch of people or anything. I kill the giant, then i'm teleported to the cathredal/church and some guy is dying on the floor telling me the princes fate is in my hands, then some goop thing comes down from the ceiling, and I'm not sure who the guy on the floor is, why he gave me a cup, who the goop monster is, who the prince is, why am I doing any of this etc.

the there is a king I've never heard of in the castle and he says his son is Ocelot. So I guess that explains it, it was Ocelot all along, playing all sides.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do i get to the items above the cave with 2 chests in in the poison swamp?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nihilarian posted:

What spear should I be aiming for? I'm still using the basic one

The partizan is pretty neat and available early on (hanging corpse in undead settlement, you need to shoot it to get it down iirc).

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
What in the christ does "Invalid Game Data Detected" mean? Is this some sorta anticheat thing that is angry at me for dying too much or somethin? It's threatening to "Penalize" me and I'm not entirely sure if that is a thing that I'd like to happen without being taken to dinner first.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rear end-Haggis posted:

What in the christ does "Invalid Game Data Detected" mean? Is this some sorta anticheat thing that is angry at me for dying too much or somethin? It's threatening to "Penalize" me and I'm not entirely sure if that is a thing that I'd like to happen without being taken to dinner first.

It thinks you've messed with values somewhere, cheatengine or similar kind of screwing around.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jose posted:

how do i get to the items above the cave with 2 chests in in the poison swamp?

Keep progressing, I'm pretty sure.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Yardbomb posted:

It thinks you've messed with values somewhere, cheatengine or similar kind of screwing around.

Don't believe I have though, which is weird. Should I like, reinstall or something? I'ma reinstall and see if that fixes this.

TBQH I'm kinda spooked! I don't wanna lose my ability to cooperate in a jolly fashion!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

How many titanite scales do you need to upgrade boss weapons? Is it the same progression as with normal titanite (2 for +1, 4 for +2, etc.)?

I've only got two so far but I'm going to actually want to try out a boss weapon soon, not sure if I have enough to get it to a usable upgrade level.

Asking this again since I think it got surrounded by other, more interesting chat.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zotix posted:

What kind of play styles are you all finding fun? I started as a knight but I think k I want to respec once I'm able to.

I played Dex with enough strength for the Exile Curved Greatsword, that weapon is awesome and I never felt the need to put it down. My progression was: Str with a heavy modified club + some Vit, found the Exile and liked the moveset enough to invest in the minimum Dex, pumped Vit to 30, then maxed Dex and then added some stamina. Ended up lvl 81 and finished the game in 30 hours. Lots of fun, I ditched shields halfway through and just used the Exile and had a blast.

edit: I used summons for most of the bosses after I figured out their moves, it's easy mode but more fun for me

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Harrow posted:

Asking this again since I think it got surrounded by other, more interesting chat.

the wikidot says 1/2/4/8 and then a slab.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Hey dude that just wasted my time for 10 minutes running in circles in front of the abyss walkers door and then unsummoned me: gently caress you.

Same to you dudes who insist upon slamming your face straight into a few grue and darkwraiths instead of following me up the side.

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lotish posted:

the wikidot says 1/2/4/8 and then a slab.

Ah, cool. So I can probably get it to +2 if I can scrounge up another scale which should be good for where I am.

Speaking of: anyone tried the Farron Greatsword in PvE stuff yet? I'm itchin' for a heavier Dex-scaling weapon that still hits hard enough to be worth using.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i really enjoyed fighting the abyss watchers for the first time and having my camera spin to face the door when the fight starts and then again in phase 2 :thumbsup:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Nuggan posted:

Hey dude that just wasted my time for 10 minutes running in circles in front of the abyss walkers door and then unsummoned me: gently caress you.
If you use the Black Seperation Crystal as a phantom you can also unsummon yourself to deal with asshats like this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What level are most of you finishing the game at the first time through? I'm in my mid 30s still but it's seeming like there just isn't enough to go around to have a greatsword and sorceries.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

limited posted:

If you use the Black Seperation Crystal as a phantom you can also unsummon yourself to deal with asshats like this.

I thought he was going to be a cool dude that wanted to have some fun, but was just confused as to what to do. :(

Also, I think I have like 10 pairs of dark leggings now.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Chameleon is the best spell.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gortarius posted:

the there is a king I've never heard of in the castle and he says his son is Ocelot. So I guess that explains it, it was Ocelot all along, playing all sides.

Dark Souls 3 has as much metal gear story content as Metal Gear Solid 5.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

windows minimising the screen in the middle of a fight due to the colour scheme gently caress sake. i did get 2 titanite scales from the 1 crystal thing though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kind of wondering what the average playtime has been so far for people's first run of the game - I was done in 21 hours but I missed one area and never did any co-op/PvP/covenant stuff which I guess people like to sink a lot of time into

RBA Starblade posted:

What level are most of you finishing the game at the first time through? I'm in my mid 30s still but it's seeming like there just isn't enough to go around to have a greatsword and sorceries.

I think I was somewhere in the early 80s

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Chameleon is the best spell.

Some guy invaded me, used chameleon when he was 10 feet in front of me, then slowly backed up to a wall (again, directly in front of me) and adjusted the angle of the prop he was imitating to pretend he was part of the scenery. About died of laughter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm kind of wondering what the average playtime has been so far for people's first run of the game - I was done in 21 hours but I missed one area and never did any co-op/PvP/covenant stuff which I guess people like to sink a lot of time into

I think I was somewhere in the early 80s

Definitely not hitting 60 in int then. :haw:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RBA Starblade posted:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

rear end-Haggis posted:

Don't believe I have though, which is weird. Should I like, reinstall or something? I'ma reinstall and see if that fixes this.

TBQH I'm kinda spooked! I don't wanna lose my ability to cooperate in a jolly fashion!

Corrupted save is the alternative.

If you had any crashes, or alt+F4s that could be the culprit.

Sometimes, it just happens, because the saves are encrypted, and poo poo happens.

Only advice is to either be ready to give up your saves (it's rare, but given the amount of people, and amount of time people put into these games...), or regularly back up your save data. NOTE: If this is ANYTHING like previous games, there is basically one save for all characters, so if anything gets hosed on one character you could literally be out every single build you have. Strongly recommended that you make frequent back ups.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rear end-Haggis posted:

If you didn't gently caress with your game, then its either a false-positive or it saved the file in a corrupted state or something. I would try just playing and seeing if its fine, it may not matter. You even have that white halo thing which is supposed to "forgive" transgressions or something, maybe try using that thing?

If that doesn't work then reinstall, yeah. Hopefully you're not hard-banned, that'd be nuts.

RBA Starblade posted:

The later zones are really hard but the enemies drop insane amounts of souls, so you shoot up from like 50->80 real fast.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

limited posted:

I got summoned in by a guy in High Wall of Lothric who apparently took "secret/illusory wall" messages super literally and spent two minutes hitting that one wall next to the staircase with the crossbowman. Thank heavens for the BSC.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Lotish posted:

I got summoned in by a guy in High Wall of Lothric who apparently took "secret/illusory wall" messages super literally and spent two minutes hitting that one wall next to the staircase with the crossbowman. Thank heavens for the BSC.

I love dudes that are so goddamn sure of everything the messages say.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

RBA Starblade posted:

I beat the game at 70 with pretty much all the stats I wanted for my Greatshield knight. I hadn't done any of the optional areas yet, I just finished THOSE now and am sitting at level 88.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I was early/mid 80s somewhere p sure, found every hidden area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I can already tell everyone on earth is going to be using nothing but katanas for PvP within a week or so. The movesets are outrageously good, and some of the late game katanas are kinda silly. Washing Pole is back and it's basically a greatsword, but longer and twice as fast.