Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hah yeah it's super third world over here buddy. I gotta hunt my own whales to keep my lamps burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:science: "You should really get your office wired with a couple of network drops to each desk for reliability, and leave Wi-Fi for moving around with laptops or people's phones"
:downs: "That's expensive. We're going to get a couple of access points and run everything off them"
:science:
:downs: "We are having issues with our connectivity, it's vital that this is rock-solid"

:jerkbag:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

:science: "You should really get your office wired with a couple of network drops to each desk for reliability, and leave Wi-Fi for moving around with laptops or people's phones"
:downs: "That's expensive. We're going to get a couple of access points and run everything off them"
:science:
:downs: "We are having issues with our connectivity, it's vital that this is rock-solid"

"We can't print"

Is the printer plugged into your computer?

"Nah I'm trying to use it wirelessly"

Plug your loving printer in you're the only one that works in that office.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Thanks Ants posted:

"Why is our wifi so poor?"

"You're in the middle of central London and there are over 30 other WAPs in range of your offices. Every single channel is congested to hell. You can't rely on on wifi for anything. We told you this the last three times you logged this."

"Well fix it then."

:psyboom:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Windows Post-it notes are great for writing passwords on

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

- Prepare move into new office
- Hey we need more cable drops to hook up all these desks
- no too expensive
- Move into office
- Desks hooked up by under desk switches a few thousand £ later

Hooray for being short sighted on costs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be thankful they haven't read up on 5ghz wifi and concluded it is the fix for everything.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just be thankful they haven't read up on 5ghz wifi and concluded it is the fix for everything.

:byodame: If we switch to this new 5Ghz wifi, will that make our internet faster?
:eng101: Nope.
:byodame: But I read on MSN that if I upgrade to 5Ghz, it would make all of our stuff faster!
:eng101: You don't even use the wifi you have. If you want faster internet, your plan can get better speeds for $25/mo.
:byodame: Oh, that's too expensive. How much will upgrading our WAPs cost?
:eng101: About $2,000.
:byodame: Okay, let's do that!

:smithicide:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Arsten posted:

:byodame: If we switch to this new 5Ghz wifi, will that make our internet faster?
:eng101: Nope.
:byodame: But I read on MSN that if I upgrade to 5Ghz, it would make all of our stuff faster!
:eng101: You don't even use the wifi you have. If you want faster internet, your plan can get better speeds for $25/mo.
:byodame: Oh, that's too expensive. How much will upgrading our WAPs cost?
:eng101: About $2,000.
:byodame: Okay, let's do that!

:smithicide:

Ah people that hate monthly fees but will dump stupid amounts up front into something.
:cool:User needs an office 365 account for email please approve the increased monthly expense.
:downs:Do they really need excel and word?
:cool:Okay well that will take it from $12.50 to $5/month.
:downs: too much! How goes the industrial label printer new position will need?
:cool: $3,000 for the same model we already have
:downs: Sounds good!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Is that last one more that they're willing to pay for things they can touch? I've seen that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me those kinds of conversations are pointless because they've already decided what they want you to do, they just think they're fostering a collaborative work environment by allowing you to express an opinion (that will be rejected at every opportunity).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

Windows Post-it notes are great for writing passwords on

One of our users who fell for one of the targeted healthcare phishing scams had her passwords all in a task in her exchange account. That was a fun day.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's weird, here people really don't mind monthly expenses, but oh boy if you want to spend a few hundred bucks on a new PC.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Maybe the monthly expense haters assume they would have that monthly expense for 30 years "BECAUSE OUR BUSINESS IS GOING TO LAST FOREVER!". So they extrapolate that out and the up front charge will generally be cheaper.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

It's weird, here people really don't mind monthly expenses, but oh boy if you want to spend a few hundred bucks on a new PC.

It's the same people that will happily take a BRAND NEW iPAD OMG over an actual raise.. and brag about it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jeoh posted:

Capital Expenditure vs Running Costs

I had an FD who'd run his monthly reports on an inkjet printer and get through a set of cartridges once a month, rather than buy a decent laser printer cause that would appear on a purchase request the CEO had to approve, while the cartridges disappeared into the stationery budget.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one of many reasons why I'd be a horrible boss. I would sniff out poo poo like that and crush it.

A ways back there was an initiative to modernize our data center to impress visitors when they show up for a tour. The solution? A dozen high end 46" TV's sprinkled around cycling through flashy powerpoint presentations broadcasting all the awesome work that gets done. They had to allocate an employee just to manage and update the presentations.

Downside? These screens are never powered off and, optimistically, we do a tour once a month.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

spog posted:

Capital Expenditure vs Running Costs

I had an FD who'd run his monthly reports on an inkjet printer and get through a set of cartridges once a month, rather than buy a decent laser printer cause that would appear on a purchase request the CEO had to approve, while the cartridges disappeared into the stationery budget.

How I usually deal with that is make a nice graph, get the cost per page and pages per month. Show the savings. Take the saves from the stationary budget for the next 6-12 months whatever you need to cover it if they really need to be assholes about "my budget" instead of the company.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

seadweller posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the maths in the above post attacking stupidity in the older workforce?

Didn't clarify that the grandma was on my dad's side, not my mom's :shrug: math isn't off much but she still got married really young, like 15 or 16 IIRC

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Didn't clarify that the grandma was on my dad's side, not my mom's :shrug: math isn't off much but she still got married really young, like 15 or 16 IIRC

I had actually assumed you had been saying the age you last helped them at, and it would have made perfect sense. It's not hard to help teach your Grandmother something at 70 before she dies and your mother something else with computer at 80, and she's still alive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

In the same vein, we had an entire floor of our building left empty while people had to hot desk on the two remaining floors, because by leaving a third of the building empty we could book a third of the rent as "potential assets" or something like that instead of runnning costs.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
CSS. CSS pisses me off. And jquery. And databases and .NET.

And computers.

Sat here for hours rebuilding models and loving around with divs and CSS to get my form to work.

Turns out I never rendered the script in the view.

Always log your poo poo people!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Boss brought us all crumbly apple cakes in our office, then complained when there were some crumbs were on the floor. I think that is entrapment.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Guess who gets to parse a year of IIS logs because our vendor can't tell us how many users actively use our system?

<--- This Guy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Varkk posted:

Boss brought us all crumbly apple cakes in our office, then complained when there were some crumbs were on the floor. I think that is entrapment.

Well, that's how you get ants.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spazz posted:

Guess who gets to parse a year of IIS logs because our vendor can't tell us how many users actively use our system?

<--- This Guy

Lmbo if you don't just make a script to do it for you.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why do we need 4 different speed ratings for memory cards????

Class 10
UHS-I
U3
800x
Plaid Speed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would someone do this? :negative:

Pick one or the other you jerk. Preferably the one that does not involve zip ties, but you definitely don't need both.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaocaholica posted:

Why do we need 4 different speed ratings for memory cards????

Class 10
UHS-I
U3
800x
Plaid Speed

Class 10 is the old SD card standard where class = x1 megabyte per second

UHS-I and U3 are actually part of the same ratings system. UHS-I indicates a communications protocol, while U3 indicates the speed with the number being x10 megabytes a second.

800x is referenced off of CD speeds, where 1x is 150 kilobytes per second. That's a really fast device at 800x - ~116 megabytes per second.

Edit: So basically the Class 10 is still printed because that's the speeds you can expect if you stick it into a non-SDXC reader. UHS-I U3 is the modern speed that it's guarenteed for as a minimum, and 800x is for comparison primarily against CompactFlash, and tends to represent peak read speed possible (the Class X and UX numbers indicate minimum write speed after it's been in use for a while).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 15, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Varkk posted:

Maybe. But he probably assumed incorrectly that people wouldn't eat like pigs.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo if you don't just make a script to do it for you.

6k average users, global company, 4 front ends, probably 50-150k lines per IIS log file... Of course I'm going to script it. Considering this is a SaaS application I also now get to poke around the IIS logs and see what our traffic usage is *actually* like, since they also don't tell us that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SELECT count(ID) FROM users WHERE last_login > ....

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

It's SharePoint with Forms Based Authentication integrating with our SSO. If you type in "fartbongbonersatan@gmail.com", that user is now in the UserInformationList permanently because it doesn't check the SSO if the user exists first. We get daily user reports, but they aren't accurate because of this, and it doesn't account for accessing the system. This is spread out across 500 site collections, with separate WSS_Content databases. Last time I asked them to query the database they said "Microsoft doesn't support it!"

This could be done with PowerShell, but last time they sent me an example script it looked like the guy wrote it with magnets on a whiteboard, then shook it, scanned it through an OCR, and sent it over. No consistent tab indentation, inconsistent variable names, every variable globalized. It also doesn't take into account historical logins, like if someone is in the system but has only logged in 3 times in the last year. They probably don't need to be on there.

This is the company I used to work for, then got bought by a lovely poo poo company that acquires shops that are circling the drain and does their best to coast on M&S. They had me interview to keep my job, which over the course of an hour (while wearing a Slayer shirt nonetheless) I all but told them to eat poo poo and die, then told them to make me an offer by that Friday or I was gone. I ended up going to work for their biggest client and I just help out when my expertise is needed, but aside from that I'm on completely different applications.

Edit: I could fill a whole thread with the chronicles of their fuckups. Forgetting to notify us when we run out of disk space, testing fixes in production, etc.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 15, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spazz posted:

Edit: I could fill a whole thread with the chronicles of their fuckups.

:allears:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Spazz posted:

Ever considered doing a podcast?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Spazz posted:

:allears:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spazz posted:

Well, it's not as fun if you aren't actively living it as it happens, but please share. It'll hold us over until a new larches appears.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
"It's not an issue of salary, it's just that nobody has this skill set" (in justifying an off-shore hire)

yeah right gently caress off

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

"It's not an issue of salary, it's just that nobody has this skill set" (in justifying an off-shore hire)

yeah right gently caress off

The skill required is working for peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The skill required is working for peanuts.
Further, an implicit threat of being sent back to Pune in shame for poor performance.