Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

What's terrifying American children are the absurd lies drama-queen liberal parents and the news tell their kids.

Deporting illegal immigrants and not allowing immigrants and/or travelers to the U.S. from deranged Islamic countries shouldn't be frightening at all to any American children, unless you're a liberal and you think anchor babies like Liddle Marco should be given birthright citizenship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Relax everyone, that just means "sports"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

homeless poster posted:

there will be forever war in the middle-east at least until your grandkids die, if we're lucky. baring some kind of human-centric global extinction event, there will always be another iraq.

When I say "I don't want another Iraq" in a discussion about state/federal US politics, I'm not talking about the perpetual shittiness of the ME. I'm talking about a concerted, federal, Republican effort to ooga booga booga the nation into the stupidest war we ever fought. I'm not happy about Brownback/Kansas and all the stupid rear end Bathroom laws flying around now, but I'd much rather Republicans be loving around in states that want them rather than being in charge of Federal action.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 15, 2016

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Boosted_C5 posted:

What's terrifying American children are the absurd lies drama-queen liberal parents and the news tell their kids.

Deporting illegal immigrants and not allowing immigrants and/or travelers to the U.S. from deranged Islamic countries shouldn't be frightening at all to any American children, unless you're a liberal and you think anchor babies like Liddle Marco should be given birthright citizenship.

The absurd overreaction causes kids to think a major candidate actually wants to deport legal American citizens based on their race, creating playground racism that wasn't as clearcut before.

Which was part of their intent, so good on 'em. Well played, liberals.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When I say "I don't want another Iraq" in a discussion about state/federal US politics, I'm not talking about the perpetual shittiness of the ME. I'm talking about a concerted, federal, Republican effort to ooga booga booga the nation into the stupidest war we ever fought.

Go watch McCain on the 2002 episode of SNL. The liberals in the media were also in on the ooga booga booga'ing, they just feel more remorse for playing a part in retrospect than do conservatives.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I didn't speak out because I wasn't illegal ect ect

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When I say "I don't want another Iraq" in a discussion about state/federal US politics, I'm not talking about the perpetual shittiness of the ME. I'm talking about a concerted, federal, Republican effort to ooga booga booga the nation into the stupidest war we ever fought.

That is a high bar to pass. We're really bad at starting wars.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
i mean, he wants to do another operation wetback, which did deport American citizens

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Oiled and Ready posted:

Go watch McCain on the 2002 episode of SNL. The liberals in the media were also in on the ooga booga booga'ing, they just feel more remorse for playing a part in retrospect than do conservatives.

True but there's a big distinction between a duped coward in hindsight and a president and his cabinet telling people this poo poo will pay for itself and all the Iraqi's will love us. We wouldn't be in Iraq with Gore. That's the point and the position that can take us to war, not SNL.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 15, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He's going to deport the illegals while simultaneously using only their remittances to pay for the wall and fund it in perpetuity

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When I say "I don't want another Iraq" in a discussion about state/federal US politics, I'm not talking about the perpetual shittiness of the ME. I'm talking about a concerted, federal, Republican effort to ooga booga booga the nation into the stupidest war we ever fought. I'm not happy about Brownback/Kansas and all the stupid rear end Bathroom laws flying around now, but I'd much rather Republicans be loving around in states that want them rather than being in charge of Federal action.

There would not be any absurd bathroom laws if we didn't live in the absurd timeline where men cut off they own dick and go to pee in the ladies' room. But we do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Epic High Five posted:

He's going to deport the illegals while simultaneously using only their remittances to pay for the wall and fund it in perpetuity

It's almost like he has no loving plan.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The Wall is bad and immoral! But also the proposed method of paying for The Wall is insufficient!

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

point of return posted:

i mean, he wants to do another operation wetback, which did deport American citizens

They weren't American citizens.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

The Wall is bad and immoral! But also the proposed method of paying for The Wall is insufficient!

It's possible for a plan to be both dumb and impossible, the scope of its badness encompassing multiple ideas

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

radical meme posted:

I thought that's what Haiti was for.

Just take over some uninhabited country they come from and, using the Republican bill writing convention*, name it with something like "freedom" or "Liberty" in its name. Ship them all down there, name it's capital city after the president (Trumptown or Trumpton) and Boom. Problem solved, instant client state.

*The fervency with which a bill's name makes reference to freedom, family, the American Way, patriotism, liberty is inversely proportional to the amount of good it does said references in its title. See Patriot Act, et al.

Weren't there a few other bills that were shining examples of that lately?

Thump! posted:

That would be a probation of roughly 1,255 years.

I'm good with it. I'm not convinced it isn't Fried Chicken having us on, actually, for impeaching them. (Is FC a he or she?) Fried Chicken's Revenge, if you will.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oiled and Ready posted:

The absurd overreaction causes kids to think a major candidate actually wants to deport legal American citizens based on their race, creating playground racism that wasn't as clearcut before.

Which was part of their intent, so good on 'em. Well played, liberals.

Nah, he just wants to deport legal American citizens based on their parents' immigration status and keep American citizens from traveling to Indonesia and Morocco because ISIS.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not only that, but the failures of Brownback and Snyder in their respective states have done a great deal of damage to the Republicans that will cause lasting effects. You can get a good idea of that in Louisiana where their new Democratic governor is reversing a lot of Jindal's legislation. But as it stands, the Republicans may have to do a lot to hold onto the governorships they have: Snyder alone has cost Michigan millions if not BILLIONS of dollars over the next few decades as Flint will need to be repaired. His saving $100 a day has resulted in one of the biggest man-made and administrative disasters in living memory, and his inability to handle it (refusing to resign, futilely placing blame on his underlings, promising to fix it but simply not) will be held up as an example of the quality of the Republicans in state governments for the next decade or so. And this isn't an exaggeration: the destructive policies they have backed (especially Brownback's application of Republican economic theories on Kansas) have caused more damage than not. And they won't be going away any time soon.

Brownback got reelected in 2014, though, despite most of the state's Republicans endorsing his Democratic opponent and the state economy in a state of crisis.

Synder also got reelected in 2014. While we didn’t know what we know now about how and why Flint's water got so bad, residents of Flint were at the time drinking yellow water that tasted like poo poo while the state government said nothing was wrong.

Scott Walker was also reelected in 2014, despite the large numbers of people that voted to recall him and another bloc that said he was a poor governor, but his behavior did not merit recall.

Democrats face an extreme uphill battle in midterm election races. I disagree that the actions of Republicans, no matter so severe, can change political trends long-term.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Maoist Pussy posted:

There would not be any absurd bathroom laws if we didn't live in the absurd timeline where men cut off they own dick and go to pee in the ladies' room. But we do.

If your problem is with the idea that Trans people are legit, go cry to the American Medical Association, behavioral scientests and get a law passed that says they aren't. loving around with bathroom access is a stupid and transparently discriminatory way of fighting this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

William Bear posted:

Brownback got reelected in 2014, though, despite most of the state's Republicans endorsing his Democratic opponent and the state economy in a state of crisis.

Synder also got reelected in 2014. While we didn’t know what we know now about how and why Flint's water got so bad, residents of Flint were at the time drinking yellow water that tasted like poo poo while the state government said nothing was wrong.

Scott Walker was also reelected in 2014, despite the large numbers of people that voted to recall him and another bloc that said he was a poor governor, but his behavior did not merit recall.

Democrats face an extreme uphill battle in midterm election races. I disagree that the actions of Republicans, no matter so severe, can change political trends long-term.

Walker and Brownback can still hide behind all the normal platitudes like that the experiment just needs more time or cooking books to make things look better (though that's about to stop being an option in Kansas last I heard) on top of fear mongering. I don't see any real good coming from Kansas/Oklahoma until they literally implode in a very public and real way. Remember all the crowing from the GOP about how California was about to become the first failed state (under a Republican governor of course, but that wasn't mentioned) awhile back? Where's all that enthusiasm now?

Maybe we can revoke statehood from KS and OK until they "figure things out" and give it to DC and PR instead

Snyder is hosed, and if he isn't ousted then Michigan is just straight up hosed

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I've also yet to see a good answer for what the procedure is going to be when a very passable bearded trans man stops giving a gently caress and decides to proudly go into the womens bathroom and man it up to the 9's. Do they have legal recourse when someone calls the cops on them for following these laws?

I understand it's more important and workable for people to just mind their own loving business but in my personal experience I would say there's no lack of belligerent LGBTQ's ready to troll their way to progress and the scenario isn't a fantasy. It only takes one and I'd take the bet that there's at least one in every one of these states.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2016

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ugh, shut up Dad, you're embarrassing me in front of my friends!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/721031916909109248

Is this reverse psychology or something. What game are you playing here Reaincehard.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've also yet to see a good answer for what the procedure is going to be when a very passable bearded trans man stops giving a gently caress and decides to proudly go into the womens bathroom and man it up to the 9's. Do they have legal recourse when someone calls the cops on them for following these laws?

I understand it's more important and workable for people to just mind their own loving business but in my personal experience I would say there's no lack of belligerent LGBTQ's ready to troll their way to progress and the scenario isn't a fantasy. It only takes one and I'd take the bet that there's at least one in every one of these states.

its inevitable if the laws aren't thrown out before a test case can hit the SC.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When did LGBT turn into LGBTQ? Seriously, I thought queer was considered a derogatory term. Are there really people that self identify as queer? How is that person different somehow?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/721057189977333760

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

When did LGBT turn into LGBTQ? Seriously, I thought queer was considered a derogatory term. Are there really people that self identify as queer? How is that person different from somehow?

Well you know how it's ok for black people to say the n-word but not ok for white people to say it?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

When did LGBT turn into LGBTQ? Seriously, I thought queer was considered a derogatory term. Are there really people that self identify as queer? How is that person different from somehow?

i thought it stood for 'questioning', p sure i heard that somewhere

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

radical meme posted:

When did LGBT turn into LGBTQ? Seriously, I thought queer was considered a derogatory term. Are there really people that self identify as queer? How is that person different somehow?

I don't know man I just gently caress my wife

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i self identify as queer

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

isn't someone gonna smear me

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
It is "questioning" but "queer" has been also reclaimed as a broader term encompassing non-heterosexual orientations that aren't easily described in common terms because people are complex.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Well you know how it's ok for black people to say the n-word but not ok for white people to say it?

Is this the legit answer? I'm truly confused here.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i question the wisdom of making fishmech a mod, am i lgbtq now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

radical meme posted:

The majority usage is still LGBT. People who are ok with use of queer at all and people who are very not ok with it is still a pretty big division, and there's a lot more that are in the latter group.

Clipperton posted:

i thought it stood for 'questioning', p sure i heard that somewhere

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Just use LGBT to be safe really. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

Is this the legit answer? I'm truly confused here.

It is, some LGBT people decided to use queer as both an effort to take back the word and as a much more efficient catch-all for increasingly granular ideas of sexuality and gender.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nameless_Steve posted:

It is "questioning" but "queer" has been also reclaimed as a broader term encompassing non-heterosexual orientations that aren't easily described in common terms because people are complex.

see also "genderqueer" to describe those whose gender identity is not on the traditional man-woman spectrum.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

William Bear posted:

Genesee County voted against Snyder in 2014, most people in Michigan weren't aware of Flint's water problems until summer of 15, and now Snyder is on the national stage as stewarding one of the worst environmental disasters in our country so I'm not sure what your point is about Snyder getting reelected in regards to how he has hurt the GOP brand incredibly.

zoux posted:

I don't personally encounter much concern about non-queer people using the term 'queer' but I'm also in academia where it's pretty hard to avoid it since queer theory is a big deal and that's just what it's called.

Fidel Castronaut fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 15, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Intel&Sebastian posted:

i would imagine they could lean on the ACLU for support, along with whatever funding they would garner from the national media attention. the real question is what person has sufficient free time and strong enough willpower to truly want to endure the eventual series of legal battles and appeals and appeals and appeals that it would take to actually become the landmark trans case equivalent of brown v. board of edu for the modern era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I don't personally encounter much concern about non-queer people using the term 'queer' but I'm also in academia where it's pretty hard to avoid it since queer theory is a big deal and that's just what it's called.

Yeah as always, context, audience, and familiarity matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Lemming posted:

The secret board of shadowy figures that run the GOP are actually all loving morons who have zero plan or control over their party anymore, though. They're trying to get Ted loving Cruz elected right now because they hosed up so severely first with Jeb and then with Rubio. They do not have the control they used to, and they're clearly morons because of how little they did about Trump despite all the warning they had.

I generally agree. The inability of the republican party to produce a nationally acceptable candidate as of this point is extremely damaging to their party. The fact that the option to produce a nationally acceptable candidate involves alienating a some yet unknown portion of their party is even more damning.

That said, they are not a rump party in any way, and will not be one at any point in the near future, even with massive damage done to them this cycle. Hillary Clinton with a favorable congress in 2016 all but guarantees massive republican gains in 2018. The question will of course be what happens when Democrats take the presidency and the senate [which they are likely to do against the current set of republican candidates, though not guaranteed] but not take the house.

• Locked thread