Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When do the romance paths open up for my companions in Firelink Shrine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Toiwat posted:

So I'm exploring Farron and sneaking past the crabs in the water when I find a keep, and inside are two fat fucks!
So we all roll around like idiots for a good five minutes while I whittle them down; I kill one, and when I finally kill the other (who heals via miracles, the fat gently caress), bullshit happens! You've been disconnected from Steam, return to the start, don't pass go, don't collect 200!
And when I load back in, the two fat fucks are still alive and well, while I've got only one Estus and half my life! AND I STILL MANAGE TO WIN, gently caress YOU COME GET ME :black101:
Thank gently caress there's a bonfire right down the ladder.

Aside from all of that, what does Hollowing actually do? Like, I'm at 12 or something. I've given the Fire Keeper Soul to the lady, and now I can heal it for a price. Is it like sin or something?

It's somehow tied to an NPC questline and a secret ending?. There's also some weapons/infusions that do stuff based on hollow level. Other than that I don't think there's anything? Like I'm at 99 and can still summon and poo poo.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

codo27 posted:

Oh, there's a limit alright

Hard mode, go!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao at at the corpse you find at the Profaned Capital thanks for setting up all these ladders Gilligan

I'm getting a ton of souls out of the dungeon and I'm not sure what to spend them on. I'm at level 56 and I already felt that might be a bit too high for the area so I don't want to just take a bunch of levels.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wowee. Getting my rear end all kinds of kicked. I feel like the Catacombs and their boss are not very mage friendly. I went with an Uchi too so I gotta enchant it to be remotely effective against skeletons. The boss is cool, but seems like a whole load of...poo poo to keep track of. If I'm too close, I can't see what the hell attacks he's doing, or he'll move up and gas me to death...or he'll summon adds or...or...

EDIT: The hitbox on this breath attack makes no sense

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 15, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man I am moving through this game so slowly because I can't stop making alts. Just got to Anor Londo finally. Every time I find some cool piece of equipment that doesn't fit my build, I entertain the thought of rolling a whole new character to base around it. Found Leo Ring the other day and I now I have a new lowbie dex character so I can relive the double rapiers + thrust ring days of Bellbroing in DS2.

Still having zero luck with Blue Sentinels, though. I tried sitting around in Irithyll and nothing. What level are you guys at that are getting consistent action? I'm at 56 with a +7 weapon now and I can't ever tell if I'm underleveled, overleveled, or what. Surely most people have at least one +5 weapon by this point, right? I've got like 60 Large Titanite Shards in my storage and I've never even farmed for them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been tiptoeing the thread since I wanna remain as blind as I can but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing some branches off to more areas somewhere.

I've been through: Road of Sacrifices, Cathedral of the Deep, and Farron Keep so I'm currently looking at doing the rear end of a time that is the Catacombs of Carthus. I'm pretty sure I've probably missed a place somewhere though, perhaps an obscured exit from Farron Keep or Road of Sacrifices or maybe even another direction I haven't gone in Undead Settlement? Any vague hints would be cool.

Nope, that's where you're supposed to be. Good luck. After that zone you have the option of 2 zones, and one of those further splinters into 2 more.

But right now you've just gotta do Catacombs

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

exquisite tea posted:

When do the romance paths open up for my companions in Firelink Shrine?

You have three different options, luckily you can pursue them all simultaneously (though two of them are mutually exclusive to different endings). Catacombs is roughly where it all starts.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope, that's where you're supposed to be. Good luck. After that zone you have the option of 2 zones, and one of those further splinters into 2 more.

But right now you've just gotta do Catacombs

Balls.

Oh well time to saddle up like a man and deal.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao at at the corpse you find at the Profaned Capital thanks for setting up all these ladders Gilligan

I'm getting a ton of souls out of the dungeon and I'm not sure what to spend them on. I'm at level 56 and I already felt that might be a bit too high for the area so I don't want to just take a bunch of levels.

I've found like 4 or 5 dead NPCs from previous games and it's pretty depressing. Pretty cool way to incorporate the fan service elements without being really in-your-face about it, though. If you didn't play the other games you probably wouldn't even notice most of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jose posted:

Where is a good place to farm heavy stones? I want ot change weapons but having infused it and being at 31 strength i imagine it'll do more damage than anything else i can upgrade although I still need more large titanite

asking again because the wiki's are likely to spoil stuff for me. I'm at the boss of the catacombs

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wowee. Getting my rear end all kinds of kicked. I feel like the Catacombs and their boss are not very mage friendly. I went with an Uchi too so I gotta enchant it to be remotely effective against skeletons. The boss is cool, but seems like a whole load of...poo poo to keep track of. If I'm too close, I can't see what the hell attacks he's doing, or he'll move up and gas me to death...or he'll summon adds or...or...

The big thing is aim for his bracelets, especially the one on your left (his right) which should be destroyed first because he tends to keep it much closer to him.. Destroying them takes off a huge chunk of his health. As for the gas, keep a short distance from his torso until you've destroyed two out of the three. That causes him to charge forward quite a distance, bringing the gas with him so as soon as you've destroyed two just start legging it back up to where you started. From there you just need to go all out on the last one, ignoring or avoiding the enemies of possible. The longer you give him to spawn in more the more likely you'll get worn down.
It's really one of those bosses that requires a buddy cuz it's insanely hard if all his attention is on you.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are there any good spears with a decent amount of reach and damage in the first half of the game? I found a Pike early on and upgraded it, but it just can't compare to a same-level broadsword in damage output. The distance is nice and can be well-utilized in various situations, but the weight and the laboring pace of the thrusts makes it a difficult choice. I haven't found a decent whip yet, either.

In short, any good reach weapons out there?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Appoda posted:

Are there any good spears with a decent amount of reach and damage in the first half of the game? I found a Pike early on and upgraded it, but it just can't compare to a same-level broadsword in damage output. The distance is nice and can be well-utilized in various situations, but the weight and the laboring pace of the thrusts makes it a difficult choice. I haven't found a decent whip yet, either.

There's a cool poison spear boss weapon from the second boss

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, Deacons of the Deep was a cool fight, and it's so satisfying to do big sweeping attacks during it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Jose posted:

asking again because the wiki's are likely to spoil stuff for me. I'm at the boss of the catacombs

Slugs in Farron Swamp. It's a rare drop, but better than nothing. You also get one by talking to the Crestfallen guy in Firelink after the boss in the woods, if you haven't done that already.

You can also get them from random hollows in The High Wall, but it's suuuuper rare.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm in Undead Settlement where do I go now that I've killed a tree?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Appoda posted:

The estoc is great.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is great scythe good for dex in this game? It was awesome in ds1 at least

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Slugs in Farron Swamp. It's a rare drop, but better than nothing. You also get one by talking to the Crestfallen guy in Firelink after the boss in the woods, if you haven't done that already.

You can also get them from random hollows in The High Wall, but it's suuuuper rare.

Thanks, there are at least a bunch of them near the second bonfire

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Appoda posted:

I think the winged halberd I got off the winged knight in lothric is fine, and I've seen praise for the Red-handled Halberd as well. The Red Halberd is a thrusting weapon first and foremost, while the winged is a slashing one. The winged isn't super fast but its R2 hits basically everything on screen near you.

I take it you found the whip in the Undead Settlement and were unimpressed?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Whythe fuck is everyone doing this like the thread is a loving cia document or hillary clinton email

just spoiler the whole post or name please

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Whips are always terrible, but it's fun to have a bleed one in your pocket so you can invade people and humiliate them if they're a lot worse than you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Multiplayer seems especially hosed today for whatever reason. I've had plenty of invasions and co-op without a hitch in the past but today everyone is sliding around with zero animations without exception. :psyduck:

How did they get multiplayer so drastically wrong this go round.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Can someone give me a hint where to go next?

Killed lady snake boss in anor londo and Im stumped

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Minrad posted:

Whythe fuck is everyone doing this like the thread is a loving cia document or hillary clinton email

just spoiler the whole post or name please

When you put an entire post in spoiler, people might not know what you're talking about until they mouse over it. And people don't want to get spoiled on stuff they haven't seen. So when you put the first letter or so outside the spoiler people who have seen it will know what you're talking about but it won't mean anything to people that haven't.

The better question is, why do you care?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

How did they get multiplayer so drastically wrong this go round.

Right? And it was so smooth in Scholar, and to a lesser extent, BB.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Appoda posted:

The Partizan is available pretty early, in the Undead Settlement. It's on a hanging corpse near the imprisoned pyromancer trainer.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Why do people say you should play these games blindly. I'm currently playing Scholar of the First Sin and without using guides about where to go next I don't know how I could complete the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anything cool I should go back for in the poison swamp? I found the covenant and the super crystal lizard, but no npcs or anything. also should I have a magic trainer to give this oolacile thing to at this point, because I don't

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone used curved swords much? I want a good, fast Dex weapon to aim for on my planned Dex/Pyro build and I don't really want it to be a katana or a straight sword. Specifically, I was eyeing up the Carthus Curved Sword, which looks like it has pretty good reach for a curved sword.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

anything cool I should go back for in the poison swamp? I found the covenant and the super crystal lizard, but no npcs or anything. also should I have a magic trainer to give this oolacile thing to at this point, because I don't

Turn around and go back to the crucifixion bonfire or whatever the one in front of the cool crabs are. You can meet an "exciting" new friend there somewhere!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How is the voice acting in this series so consistently excellent. Every single line is delivered with absolute believability.

Hell the reverb effect applied to the actors' voices alone deserves a reward for that matter. Every actor not only speaks convincingly, but actually sounds like they're actually there in whatever bleak, stoney place the NPC resides.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Appoda posted:

you can get a partizen really early on

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in Undead settlement, freed Irina but when I exit the tomb Eygon is hostile to me and attacks me. I did recruit Irina. I may have attacked him earlier with arrows simply thinking he's a monster. How does this effect Irina being at Firelink shrine? Will he go there too and attack me and screw the game up?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

objects in mirror posted:

Why do people say you should play these games blindly. I'm currently playing Scholar of the First Sin and without using guides about where to go next I don't know how I could complete the game in a reasonable amount of time.

Have you thought about, uh, exploring?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm in Undead Settlement where do I go now that I've killed a tree?

Am I supposed to kill the cold guy in the church basement? Because he seems like a pain in the rear end

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Turn around and go back to the crucifixion bonfire or whatever the one in front of the cool crabs are. You can meet an "exciting" new friend there somewhere!

cool I'll look around. thanks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lmao the special on one of the abyss watcher weapons is retarded in PvP. It makes you slide along the floor like a madman and the hitbox on the sword becomes absurd. Even when you dodge it though, it grants invulnerability to the user so you can even really punish them for spamming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

objects in mirror posted:

Exploring is cool and fun and you can only go in blind once. You only get the opportunity once for each new game and then its gone forever once you've seen things.

If you really suck at exploring but like souls games for combat, go ahead I guess, but everybody recommends you go blind because we actually like exploring and don't suck at it.

Unbelievable number of people getting stuck at firelink and undead settlement, but I guess some people just don't like exploring or aren't used to having to do it. Its really, really fun though.