Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm surprised he still keeps the blog up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That waifu smell

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"a boner of Fourth World proportions" is always the line that gets me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

the mirror's edge vids I've seen look absolutely fine. the game was either going to be another small game leading to complaints that there was too little, or a bigger open thing for exploration and skill poo poo. Now we have the latter so of course it's too much now. Not really sure what people want from ME2 but it looks like a bigger and more beautiful one with more poo poo to do. You can just create your own runs and do those forever if you want to.

I'm probably not the person they're making the game for unfortunately. I'd rather it have no story and just platforming levels with more refined movement, with nothing else in the way

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well I for one don't understand how he can be sure it's smell that's triggering his boner trances. The first examples given are also super tactile and with the creepy encounter with the girl on the train, there is explicitly no smell.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh this is a games thread

Dark Souls III still good, after 30 hours spent this week. I'm slightly disturbed that I'm still using the same axe I got from the first post-tutorial zone, but I've yet to find a single pure Faith weapon that doesn't require Intelligence

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Mr E posted:

Is Eve even close to reasonable to start on at this point

The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is that there's a bit of a misconcepton with regards to how advancing in the game works. There is a hard limit to how well you can fly a ship on paper, and a fresh player can get to about 85~90% effectiveness on small ships with about two weeks of training. A fresh-faced newbie can ruin the day of a decade-old player within an hour of starting.

The only thing that a longer playtime gets you is a wider variety of ships you can fly.

They've changed up the new player experience a bit and ostensibly made things easier to start, and in fact our very own Games Forum Moderator VideoGames is posting his experience starting the game in the Eve Thread right now.

Just a word of warning here regarding that thread, though: there is a big war in which literally the entire galaxy is trying very hard to scrub out the Goon-led organization, and is largely succeeding. A few Reddit posters with too much disposable income and not enough self-awareness are busily making GBS threads up the Eve thread in the same way they're making GBS threads up their r/eve subreddit, so it's kind of a cesspool right now. People take their spaceship empire game way too seriously.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i won't be silent any longer: EVE Is Good

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

oddium posted:

i won't be silent any longer: EVE Is Good

:yeah:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've been seeing some of the stuff posted by goons for non-goons and it's really drat obnoxious.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

The short answer is: yes.

The long answer is that there's a bit of a misconcepton with regards to how advancing in the game works. There is a hard limit to how well you can fly a ship on paper, and a fresh player can get to about 85~90% effectiveness on small ships with about two weeks of training. A fresh-faced newbie can ruin the day of a decade-old player within an hour of starting.

The only thing that a longer playtime gets you is a wider variety of ships you can fly.

They've changed up the new player experience a bit and ostensibly made things easier to start, and in fact our very own Games Forum Moderator VideoGames is posting his experience starting the game in the Eve Thread right now.

Just a word of warning here regarding that thread, though: there is a big war in which literally the entire galaxy is trying very hard to scrub out the Goon-led organization, and is largely succeeding. A few Reddit posters with too much disposable income and not enough self-awareness are busily making GBS threads up the Eve thread in the same way they're making GBS threads up their r/eve subreddit, so it's kind of a cesspool right now. People take their spaceship empire game way too seriously.

Sounds fun, I'm kinda burned after on fantasy mmos after over a decade of playing them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oddium posted:

Anyway, I learned this week that my sex drive is connected primarily to my olfactory sense. It makes sense, in retrospect; I've rarely been able to get hard just looking at an attractive woman, but when I've gotten up close to them (dancing, hugging, making out), my libido goes wild. I actually popped my first woody hugging a female friend goodbye. [Jon Stewart]Awk-ward...[/Jon Stewart]

What confirmed this for me was a subway ride this week. On Wednesdays, the magazine has weekly out-meetings at the Whitney Museum, across from Grand Central. (Come say hi to me sometime, ya fucks!) So, after work, I hop on the 4 train uptown (I work at an office building across from the WTC site), buy my comics from Midtown's East Side store, hit a local Wendy's and walk to the meetings.

It's usually crowded, but last Wednesday it was packed. At (I believe) 14th Street, this woman got on and stood next to me. Kinda cute, but not the type that really gets my motor going, lookswise. But her head cem up right to my nose, and her smell...

It's weird, it wasn't any actual smell, it was just the air around her. I would literally breathe in and get woozy. I tried surreptitiously to get a better sniff, but she wasn't even wearing any perfume I could detect. I don't know what that's about, but I guess her pheromone level was higher than normal (do women do that when they ovulate?).

Whatever it was, I was nursing a boner of Fourth World proportions. Seriously, if I'd taken out my dick, it probably would have had a little Kirby Krackle around it. Only my Lutheran sense of propriety and the desire not to end up as a Post headline stopped me from checking. Thankfully, there was enough room between us that this wasn't immediately obvious to her (or if it was, she chose to ignore it and spare me the humiliation). Once I got off the train, I needed a moment to catch my breath (and arrange my laptop bag so it hung in front of me).

I probably won't know that woman by sight if I ever share another train with her. But if she gets close enough to smell, I'll probably shout, "It's you!"
Still funny every time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i couldnt get far into darksiders because it embodied that fuckin mid-2000s grim gritty dark grey ugly sunset aesthetic that we were talking about the other day

also i remember the fov being kinda poo poo

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I just bought Dark Souls III, as well.

My friend who I bought Guild Wars 2 to play it with him is going to be mad 'cause DS3's probably gonna take up all my time this weekend :shepface:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i am enjoying ninja gaiden razor's edge and think it is fun

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I can confirm I am having a really, really fun time playing EVE. I am just flying about going to random stars and mining asteroids. I know that's not enough for a lot of people, but it's absolutely wonderful for me!

EDIT:

As you can see!

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 15, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

buy low in empire and sell high in nullsec. the fleet needs You

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He may not want to go to Nullsec at the moment. EVE Goons are getting driven out of their home of 6 years in a bit of a "gently caress off" war.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Still funny every time.

What is that from?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

What is that from?
The blog of an old GBS mod. I'm blanking on the name.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just had an XCOM 2 game where my Ranger missed every single sword slash she tried.

Then, the very next mission activated four ADVENT Lancers, who immediately missed every single attack. I was certain I was going to lose everyone on that map, but I guess lovely melee cuts both ways. :haw:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

tales to mildly astonish. the only other funny things are the staggering amount of "An Open Letter To"s and the one that came after the stranger hair sniffing one where he complains about being alone on valentine's day

e: oh and " when i was young i thought myself a Lisa. now, i know i was a Bart.."

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 15, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

i am enjoying ninja gaiden razor's edge and think it is fun

I heard they revamped some things from NG3 to make it better, glad to hear it might not been bullshit. :v:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wow, there's a lot to live up to when you become an SA Mod

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Wow, there's a lot to live up to when you become an SA Mod
It's driving me nuts that I can't remember who it was. I keep wanting to say Brother Jonathan, but he was the PYF mod obsessed with trains. It wasn't Franco or Abe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Senor Woodchuck

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Senor Woodchuck
That's the one. Crazy mother fucker.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's driving me nuts that I can't remember who it was. I keep wanting to say Brother Jonathan, but he was the PYF mod obsessed with trains. It wasn't Franco or Abe.

I mean, the former would make a lot of sense...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The rumour is that this is the map from Red Dead Redemption 2:

The south-west of the map is actually the north-east of the original RDR map.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Red Dead Redemption 2?? Oh be still my beating heart!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Don't get too excited. I fully expect R* to learn all the wrong lessons from GTA: Online and fill all their future games with a bunch of bullshit. And people will fall over themselves to throw money at it :sigh:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2?? Oh be still my beating heart!

:same:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Been really enjoying Heretic Kingdoms:shadows. I've been craving Diablo since I played D3 on my brothers PS4. And this game is hitting all the right spots without Blizzard pricing.

Also ran into a weird glitch with a character who uses two handed weapons. I got a weird 2hander, and it fucks with the attack speed so instead of hitting every second or so, his attack speed is .2.
My highest dps is floating around 650, his dps is 958 or something stupid.

I'll try and get a video.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shindragon posted:

I heard they revamped some things from NG3 to make it better, glad to hear it might not been bullshit. :v:

Yeah, I've played some of the original and it is seriously a lot better. Still has problems (like the large number of enemies) but putting in upgrades and a bunch of new combos and stuff means it is a lot more entertaining without making it easier (in many ways it's actually much harder than the original) Still inferior to ng1 but imho a good game. One clever thing I noticed is that while you can't DIE in easy mode, you can still get hurt to the point that you lose your karma health bonus, so its still possible to compete on score and there's an incentive to get better. Original ng3 didn't have karma iirc so it was pointless

the plot is still utter nonsense though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
so here's a sort of sketchy question: My Dark Souls 3 from amazon didn't come on time, so on tuesday, I went to gamestop and bought a copy. Yesterday, my amazon copy came. So now I have one opened copy that I bought from gamestop and one unopened copy that I got from amazon. Both are for ps4. My roommate has an xbox one. What I want to do is take my unopenend ps4 copy to some local store and exhange it for an xbox one copy. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral, I have a brand new unopened game and I want to exchange it for the same game on a different platform, and that feels like something I should be able to do, but it also feels kinds of sketchy.

Does this seems like something I should be able to do? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't stepped inside a game store in years but it sounds like you should be fine, I don't see what's so sketchy. Alternatively you can get refunds for either copy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't really see the problem if you just do it through Gamestop or Amazon.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a local store is not going to give you a refund for a game you didnt buy there and theyre not going to give you full price credit either. so return it to amazon if you want otherwise you can't do that

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

a local store is not going to give you a refund for a game you didnt buy there and theyre not going to give you full price credit either. so return it to amazon if you want otherwise you can't do that

he's planning on saying the unopened one is from gamestop which is fine and who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that would probably work

• Locked thread