Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah, MML, you need to get on a burke. All the CGs will be decommed before too long but Burkes will keep on burking for decades to come.

Besides, in that situation there wouldn't be any missiles but rather:

DownByTheWooter posted:

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

After seeing a CIWS saw a training drone its all I've ever hoped to see again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Seriously though, the idea of getting on a NIFCCA boat and putting an SM-6 up the trail pipe of a MiG is giving me a raging SWOner right now.

Make sure you buy a few camera drones beforehand. I want aerial footage looking something like the battle scenes from Battleship where they are literally shooting every CIWS, crew serve, and way too many missiles than actually possible at the same time.

Red White and Blue fireworks would top it off.

So turned on right now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
A BURKE? To hell with that, I earned my pin on a cruiser so if I'm going to get sunk by an SS-N-26 I might as well close the loop.

Besides: more VLS tubes=better than

Fake edit: I would also take a ZUMWALT job too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dude burkes own.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

A BURKE? To hell with that, I earned my pin on a cruiser so if I'm going to get sunk by an SS-N-26 I might as well close the loop.

Besides: more VLS tubes=better than

Fake edit: I would also take a ZUMWALT job too.

At this stage in your career, going to a CG will more likely just result in your face in the Navy Times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
By the time he's an O6 up for command the only CGs left in the fleet will be on their way out the door. It's a dying platform and has been on life support for years.

In the next 10-15 years I see pretty much all of the cruisers winding down and a number of early DDGs as well. By that point there will be enough DDGs to fill our AEGIS needs.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 15, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The proposed Flight III with the new AMDR radar does look pretty sweet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I really do miss some things about being a SWO. :smithicide:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

By the time he's an O6 up for command the only CGs left in the fleet will be on their way out the door. It's a dying platform and has been on life support for years.

In the next 10-15 years I see pretty much all of the cruisers winding down and a number of early DDGs as well. By that point there will be enough DDGs to fill our AEGIS needs.

While I don't deny that, it sure is funny how many hundreds of millions the navy is dumping into modernizing platforms that were modernized a handful of years ago, only to decom them within a decade.

Also cruisers are great, ticonderogas forever.

One time I walked onto a newish DDG and was really upset at how great it looked in comparison. Think bengy was with me for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They're spending the money upgrading them because they need the newer assets now and we simply don't have enough AEGIS platforms to handle everything yet without them. In 10 years, though, there will be at least 13 new DDGs while the 34+ year old cruisers will still have superstructures ripping themselves apart among all the other issues prevalent in 40 year old warships.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

They're spending the money upgrading them because they need the newer assets now and we simply don't have enough AEGIS platforms to handle everything yet without them. In 10 years, though, there will be at least 13 new DDGs while the 34+ year old cruisers will still have superstructures ripping themselves apart among all the other issues prevalent in 40 year old warships.

That entirely depends on your definition of need I suppose. Based on my knowledge of the newer Aegis baselines I can't imagine the need to replace BL8 being that enormous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

PneumonicBook posted:

That entirely depends on your definition of need I suppose. Based on my knowledge of the newer Aegis baselines I can't imagine the need to replace BL8 being that enormous.

I can't speak to the specifics since I've been out for years, don't remember poo poo, and any of it is classified anyways, but the need is the shift of almost all BMD from the other branches onto the navy in the past couple decades. It's why they didn't shitcan the Port Royal and other CGs on the chopping block a few years back. Because of that demand, the cruisers will be around for a few more years and they need to be upgraded and kept in spec with the rest of the fleet until they are ready to finally get chopped.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, MML, you need to get on a burke. All the CGs will be decommed before too long but Burkes will keep on burking for decades to come.

Besides, in that situation there wouldn't be any missiles but rather:

After seeing a CIWS saw a training drone its all I've ever hoped to see again.

LOL yeah right, as if it will work. Every CIWS training/usage had it locking up and failing to fire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

LOL yeah right, as if it will work. Every CIWS training/usage had it locking up and failing to fire.

That's why ships are equipped with two :ssh:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Where on a flight ii is the second ciws mount?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't speak to the specifics since I've been out for years, don't remember poo poo, and any of it is classified anyways, but the need is the shift of almost all BMD from the other branches onto the navy in the past couple decades. It's why they didn't shitcan the Port Royal and other CGs on the chopping block a few years back. Because of that demand, the cruisers will be around for a few more years and they need to be upgraded and kept in spec with the rest of the fleet until they are ready to finally get chopped.

That would make sense, except they didn't upgrade those CGs to be BMD capable as far as I know, which I suppose they could be regretting now, hence the upgrading the upgrade.

I just read about the navy's plan for this, and they intend to keep the Port Royal in service until 2045. She'll be 50 years old. When I was on the Mobile Bay she was pushing 30 and was in various states of falling apart. I would love to see the face of someone getting to the fleet and being on a 40 year old non nuclear platform.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm amazed they didn't shitcan the Port Royal since as far as I know it still has a permanent list from it's time spent as a decoration at the end of the airport runway on top of the rest of the cruiser problems.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm amazed they didn't shitcan the Port Royal since as far as I know it still has a permanent list from it's time spent as a decoration at the end of the airport runway on top of the rest of the cruiser problems.

It has a very slight walk to starboard because the keel is... well it floats anyway. Also mount 52 is a little tilted towards to the deck.

At one point on our first deployment after we hung 10, a horizontal stringer broke away in MER 2 for the entire length of the space - the skin of the ship was just pushing in and out as we moved through the water.

Love that ship.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

yeah I know the joke is forever ruined

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

Also cruisers are great, ticonderogas forever.

They're not really cruisers in the classical sense, mission-creep just made the Navy change the name. Ticos are a stretched Spruance design anyway. Designed and built as destroyers, capable of more missions than destroyers at the time = modern cruiser.

They do look great, though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think they experimented with making Cowpens an O-4 command. Lots of opportunities there if you connect with the right people

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Red Crown posted:

I think they experimented with making Cowpens an O-4 command. Lots of opportunities there if you connect with the right people

:master:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SPACE HOMOS posted:

One is in front of the pilot house, the second is behind the stacks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

One is in front of the pilot house, the second is behind the stacks.

iirc flight IIas do not have a second CIWS.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's right, they thought essm could cover the gap.

Regarding Port Royal talk, we were supposed to get new shafts because of how drat old ours were. Port Royal got them instead after running aground.

Then we were building 53 for almost a year because our MRG disentegrated.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

A few do, but I was being :smug: and/or :spergin: regarding him saying Flight II instead of Flight IIA.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PneumonicBook posted:

Then we were building 53 for almost a year because our MRG disentegrated.

Wait. WHAT

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ded posted:

Wait. WHAT

They found metal flakes in some oil samples, basically causing them to replace it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Red Crown posted:

:captainpop:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
O-4? That seems excessively junior.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

O-4? That seems excessively junior.

Not for the Cowpens.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 16, 2016

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

Wait. WHAT

What bengy said. If I remember right they repaired it initially and then it happened again. I'd say we were lucky for avoiding underways but I was tad for eight months for some of it and we fast cruised multiple times to support FST and poo poo. It turns out its actually awful if you can't get underway.

But I mean this was a 30 year old ship. We had water mains bursting just from age above dpds, and when she went into the yards originally the superstructure had a crack the entire width of the ship in it. Cruisers, while being heavily armed are also built in a really awful way. Just compare the profile of a CG vice a DDG or an LCS. This is without getting into the radar cross section issues.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 16, 2016

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Happy monday you miserable fuckers (T-12 months)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beP82Vd9N_I

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
I'm going on a tiger cruise in a few days, not going to do poo poo :owned:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I never got the point of those. Like by all means do a tour of a ship and all that jazz

But to spend a bunch of money on a one-way ticket, miss a week of your life/time off work, only to sit around and be miserable like the rest of us and eat the same food

Why? (I'm mostly pissed because I had to find somewhere to store all the poo poo I had in the extra rack we had to clear)

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I never got the point of those. Like by all means do a tour of a ship and all that jazz

But to spend a bunch of money on a one-way ticket, miss a week of your life/time off work, only to sit around and be miserable like the rest of us and eat the same food

Why? (I'm mostly pissed because I had to find somewhere to store all the poo poo I had in the extra rack we had to clear)

Lol if you think civilians want to be at work

Tiger cruises are great. I'm expected to do absolutely nothing but yet still go underway.

A few days of hanging out with my dad and brother owns too.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fart Cannon posted:

Lol if you think civilians want to be at work

Tiger cruises are great. I'm expected to do absolutely nothing but yet still go underway.

A few days of hanging out with my dad and brother owns too.

So you get to act like Marines on a ship and stand in line for chow and hang out in the gym all day?

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So you get to act like Marines on a ship and stand in line for chow and hang out in the gym all day?

Sounds like Security Department.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Tiger cruise was pretty sweet. Since I didn't bring any guests along, I just stood my watch, ate, went to the gym, and watched movies in my room since there were no exercises to plan or grade, etc. Just stand a watch and lay low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
We did a friends and family day cruise and I thought that was plenty sufficient. The only thing people missed was trying to sleep while people dragged chains around and launched planes overhead.

• Locked thread