Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Elfgames posted:

I don't get why they don't let ash be more like a mentor to the new characters.

He's only eleven! How can he be a mentor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Elfgames posted:

Because he hasn't learned a drat thing in 20 years.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Just playing some PSMD, doing whatever, when a Sunflora uses the move Flower Shield, which is one I've never heard of before. I know there's a lot of weird moves in Gen 6 that people never remember, but even so, I thought I had them all down by this point. But nope, still getting surprised by all these useless and niche moves.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I've got "give up" "you can't win" before and then sometimes when it's a clear loss and I forfeit I get a message afterwards with them complaining that I forfeit.

"How dare you not let me trounce you!!!"

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Elfgames posted:

They actually did that for the first bit of the Hoenn Arc, May did all the noob poo poo that Ash did and Ash helped her and gave her tips until she caught her first Pokemon. It was a great idea and I thought they were gonna do it for Pearl and they sort of did, but then Ash immediately did all the stuff he said not to do, like throw a pokeball without battling first.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Did the manga do anything good like have Ash be the pokemon league champion that protagonist gotta defeat?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The manga is so detached from stuff like the anime and games that you can't really compare them. Team Rocket's ultimate plot in RGB was to fuse together the legendary birds for god's sake.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Did the manga do anything good like have Ash be the pokemon league champion that protagonist gotta defeat?

Ash isn't in the manga, but everything you've possibly wanted from the anime is in there, and more.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah like Pokemon getting loving cut in half

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Holy crap one day I should read those.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Yeah like Pokemon getting loving cut in half

That's just fainting, the Arbok recovers.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i thought team rockets goal was to get that pikachu

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ostentatious posted:

i thought team rockets goal was to get that pikachu

Not in the manga, which is what them goons above were talking about.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

well was getting the pikachu in their itinerary

because hoo boy, that pikachu was a real rascal!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

well was getting the pikachu in their itinerary

because hoo boy, that pikachu was a real rascal!

The Elite 4 try to steal Pikachu, if that counts.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Tardigrade posted:

That's just fainting, the Arbok recovers.

Yeah, he has regeneration. Still though, cmon. Also what about the time Giovanni froze a Magmar and then shattered it into a million pieces? Did that one get better? I dunno, honestly I just heard about that one and can't find a good picture.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Yeah, he has regeneration. Still though, cmon. Also what about the time Giovanni froze a Magmar and then shattered it into a million pieces? Did that one get better? I dunno, honestly I just heard about that one and can't find a good picture.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What was the part of the Pokémon site that had the official artwork for HM moves? I'm looking for the picture of Leaf using a Pidgey to Fly.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Takoluka posted:

I'm looking for the picture of Leaf using a Pidgey to Fly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Pokemon Adventures is a pretty good manga, but it has some of the dumbest poo poo ever written and a lot of the RGB stuff was just too stupid. I really hated the idea of half the gym leaders and the E4 all being evil. Who in the world sanctioned all that? The other arcs at least wait until the end to get to really stupid and bad territory (the RS ending is the biggest asspull I have ever seen for instance while everything up to it was real good).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Momomo posted:

Pokemon Adventures is a pretty good manga, but it has some of the dumbest poo poo ever written and a lot of the RGB stuff was just too stupid. I really hated the idea of half the gym leaders and the E4 all being evil. Who in the world sanctioned all that? The other arcs at least wait until the end to get to really stupid and bad territory (the RS ending is the biggest asspull I have ever seen for instance while everything up to it was real good).

Yeah PokeSpe isn't God's gift to the Pokemon fandom. It's good but I still prefer the games.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know what game had a good boss theme? Pokémon Trading Card Game's Club Master Duel.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Thank you kindly.

Leaf is the best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Was The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga as good as I'm remembering it being? I thought it was awesome way back in middle school but I haven't read it in ages so I'm afraid nostalgia might be talking when I say it was good.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
what happened to the guy who said he had screenshots to leak

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's pretty funny how poorly these games aged:

...yikes, Nintendo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't get the obsession with sticking tween girls in the world's shortiest skirts/shorts.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

what happened to the guy who said he had screenshots to leak

He tweeted that it was just a joke.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Narciss posted:

...yikes, Nintendo

I don't get it.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Night Blade posted:

I don't get it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boy

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Still not getting it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Night Blade posted:

I don't get it.

Heteronormativity/Gender Dichotomy vs Spectrum

The thought occurred to me when I was playing X as well, but I'm not suprised Gamefreak hasn't rocked the boat yet. Maybe give it a few years and they'll just put portraits and not even allude to boy/girl. But then you've still got breeding and attract, which seem inescapable in terms of that issue unless everything has ditto breeding.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night Blade posted:

I don't get it.

I assumed it was the lack of anti-aliasing

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

But then you've still got breeding and attract, which seem inescapable in terms of that issue unless everything has ditto breeding.

You do realize that Pokemon are supposed to be like animals that are normally not intelligent enough to have this sort of self introspection, right?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

... Do you take issue with them starting a sentence with "or"?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Fighting with Breloom is such a rollercoaster, he either sweeps or misses Rock Slide at 95 accuracy and it's all over, but three times in three fights dude?. Cmon.

why not rock tomb

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I somehow doubt that pokemon is gonna include an NB protag option. It'd be great, but Nintendo isn't exactly quick with the whole social progress thing.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Ruggington posted:

why not rock tomb

Maybe it doesn't have technician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Narciss posted:

...yikes, Nintendo

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

• Locked thread