Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

So you dropped out? Good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Newfie posted:

Holy poo poo, this happened to me last week. I was in international trade (it is an easy course with am easy marking prof) and I got a random nose bleed for probably the first time in my life. I was drinking rockstar and coffee all week trying to get a paper done. Now I need to get my blood pressure checked :stonk:

It's an indicator but not necessarily a sign. Regardless you should get it checked out. At that time I was actually in really good shape, cooking most meals at home with no salt already, and it was still through the roof. Now I get to take medication every day whee!

In other news here's a lovely job opportunity for all you young lawyers:

quote:

Creditors rights law firm in the North Suburbs has an associate opening for candidates with min. of 2 years experience, Compensation: Pay up to $50,000.00 per year

I'm seriously very excited for when minimum wage hits $15/hr and these jobs (due to their hours) are worse than working at mcdonalds. There's also a surprising number of temp-to-perm jobs that require 5+ years experience, because that's totally what people are interested in. It's not like that even makes much sense due to being an at will employment state, I presume its just to avoid paying health care or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 13, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yesterday I completely lost my poo poo and had a meltdown at mediation.

This is a half-day mediation. We contested the prenup and lost. Mom owes Dad $30K in attorney fees now and only has the clothes off her back and custody and moved as far as she possibly can.

Mediation starts at 9:00. They don't have an offer to us until 12:30 and it was "Give us half custody and walk away."

"No."

I tell the mediator we need to leave and that I can't afford to pay her any further because Mom is broke and I'm basically working to keep her happy and finish the case out and don't expect to get paid and because I felt bad for her.

She says wait until 2:00.

At 2:00 she brings in a proposal. "Mom keeps the kid, $60K to Mom, Mom moves within 25 miles of Dad."

I tell her deal.

Opposing party keeps adding terms.

At 4:30, mediator comes back in and tells me that opposing party wants a day to think about it. I throw down the wad of cash I keep in my pocket for mediation ($~1500) and say "We're here until this is done." And they refuse to keep going.

And I lose my poo poo.

"gently caress him, write up an MSA right now and sign it."

She brings in the other attorney. I curse both of them out because they're costing me money from my own pocket and he needs to man the gently caress up and sign it and I'm just not loving nice enough to give them another day of my time.

They want to reschedule another half-day mediation. I tell them he needs to loving sign it because if he gets a day to think about it, he's going to add in "all sorts of bullshit" and "Mediation is about pressuring someone to take a loving deal."

That's when I left.

And about five minutes later, I get a call that says he wants to pay for another half-day mediation. All fees out of his pocket. And I know if I can get her some cash, she'll pay the remainder of my fees.

God drat it. gently caress this job. I'm a whore.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

calvus posted:

What's the standard for that?

Generally you must show that the party not only has a severe psychological disorder, but also that the particular disturbance renders them incapable of understanding the nature of the proceedings against them and renders them unable to conduct/assist their case. You could be stark raving mad, but if you're on trial for murder, understand what murder is, and understand the specific murder allegations you're facing, you're competent.

I doubt any court would ever find that sovcits have a psychological disorder in the first place, because a steadfast, irrational belief in something isn't a disorder. Even if it were, sovcits understand the nature of the proceedings. They just think the proceedings themselves are unlawful.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

God drat it. gently caress this job. I'm a whore.

Love it.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, but what's her name when she's not dancing?

:drat:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
God I'm glad I don't do family law.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

God I'm glad I don't do family law.

I can't imagine it ever going well unless you hate the opposite gender. Plus aren't you most likely to get killed by your clients in that area (the one judge in cook to get killed in the last few decades was by a dude in divorce court iirc)

Also are mediators even ever useful ever? Why do they get away with charging so much?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I've never not settled at mediation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've never not settled at mediation.

Its so dependent on practice area. Out of the hundreds , maybe thousands of meditations at my old job not a single one settled.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
lmbo a local (Toronto) lawyer has quite a history in Cali

quote:

[23] According to the reports by the California Bureau of Investigation, Mr. Sumner made a number of highly problematic communications on January 3, 2012:

a. Mr. Sumner spoke with an assistant in Mr. Kochis’ office and said that, “I’m going to arrest your chief Kochis. If he resists, I’m going to kill him.”

b. Mr. Sumner was transferred to Supervising Investigator Randles and, in a recorded call, repeated the statement that had been made to the assistant and also said “I’m sure he gets a lot of enemies in gangs, right? So I’m thinking maybe I’ll go and find a gang because I’m an attorney, by the way, and I think that when an attorney gives a gang authority to go and place him under private person’s arrest, which I can do …, I think that a gang might just do it.” There is no need to detail other similarly problematic statements made.

c. Mr. Sumner left a voice message for Mr. Kochis’ secretary which stated “John Kochis is a piece of loving (unintelligible) trash and I’m going to arrest him or I’m going to get a gang to arrest him and if he resists so help him god he’ll loving die!”

d. Mr. Sumner posted the following emails on a website:

i. “Chief Deputy District Attorney John Kochis, When I go to California next I will arrest. If you resist, I will kill you in accordance with the law!!! You are a criminal and a piece of poo poo!!!! You should die!!!!!”

ii. “Dear Hells Angeles [sic] …John P. Kochis committed several felonies and I wish to place him under arrest. Therefore, I authorize the hells Angeles [sic] to act as my agent and arrest … John P. Kochis. If he resists, the Hells Angeles [sic] may use all lawful force to secure the prisoner, including lethal force if allowed by law.”

iii. “Dear Devils Diciples, … I wish to place … John P. Kochis under private person’s arrest … as he committed the felony of extortion and others. I seek your assistance … in placing the piece of human poo poo under arrest. If he resists, I authorize you to use all lawful force to secure the prisoner, including lethal force if allowed under law.”

e. Mr. Sumner sent over 21 e-mails to various state and local officials, Hells Angels, Devils Diciples and Mr. Kochis, some of which contained threats to kill or physically harm Mr. Kochis.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

quote:

bang mother fucker, bang bang bang bang bang mother fucker

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Last year there was a shooting at a mall the town over from the law school. Basically a security guard may or may not (almost certainly not) have been in a relationship with a girl who worked at the mall. After she told him to stop texting her and reported his behavior to his supervisors he went to his apartment, came back with a gun, and shot her 3 times.

The trial started yesterday and this was an early witness's recollection:

quote:

The first witness called by the prosecution was Kathryn Ogden of Coralville. Ogden said she had parked at the mall and was walking in to get some food for her and her husband when she was almost hit by a speeding blue car.

“I decided to wait for him to tell him to be more careful,” she said. “When he walked in, I told him he needed to watch where he was going, and he just kind of smiled at me and tipped his hat.”

Ogden said she recognized the hat as a fedora because her daughter “was obsessed” with them. The fedora was recognized by two other witnesses as having been worn by Kozak as he walked into the mall on June 12.

The next witness was Brinn Stanton-Anderson, who worked part-time cleaning the Iowa Children’s Museum. Stanton-Anderson said she was with her two sons when she saw the car later identified to be Kozak’s almost hit Ogden. She said she got a description of the car and saw the man who was driving it put on a black fedora after he parked.

“I thought it was strange someone who had just almost run someone over throw this hat on, cool as a cucumber,” Anderson said.

The goon literally "m'ladied" on his way to murder a girl who had turned him down.

Link for those interested: http://daily-iowan.com/2016/04/15/witnesses-detail-mall-shooting-in-kozak-trial/

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Last year there was a shooting at a mall the town over from the law school. Basically a security guard may or may not (almost certainly not) have been in a relationship with a girl who worked at the mall. After she told him to stop texting her and reported his behavior to his supervisors he went to his apartment, came back with a gun, and shot her 3 times.

The goon literally "m'ladied" on his way to murder a girl who had turned him down.

Link for those interested: http://daily-iowan.com/2016/04/15/witnesses-detail-mall-shooting-in-kozak-trial/

Did he have a neckbeard?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

calvus posted:

Did he have a neckbeard?

No such luck

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
This? T'is but a murder weap'n

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

I've been keeping track of testimony through live updates from the courtroom.

All the state's witnesses are ID'ing the guy by his fedora.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

And do you see that fedora in the courtroom today?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you've given a lot of your lives to be here with us throughout this trial. You've heard a lot about a fedora-tipping assailant. But the record clearly shows that my client was in fact wearing a trilby hat on the day of the murder, clearly exonerating him of this hyenas crime.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

mastershakeman posted:

Its so dependent on practice area. Out of the hundreds , maybe thousands of meditations at my old job not a single one settled.

That's some crappy zen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tau posted:

That's some crappy zen.

Crazy idea: maybe the courts shouldn't force mediations in practice areas where they don't make sense, especially if the mediators start giving defendants legal advice of how to fight their case once the mediation process ends.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this here you go, it's pretty much true to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm1rif1fASk

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Family. Law.

quote:

1. Do nude pictures of parents help judges decide who should get custody?

2. A silly question?

3. Why then, on this motion for temporary custody, has the Applicant father attached to his affidavit a series of sexually explicit “selfies” of the mother, retrieved from her discarded cell phone?

4. And why did he attach dozens of screen shots of the mother “sexting” with another man, describing her sexual preferences in graphic detail?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Now, Ms. Ogden, you’ve testified that your daughter was obsessed with fedoras?

Your *daughter*?

Who is a girl?

And you remember that you’re under oath?

And you’re telling the jury today that there is a girl, somewhere on this planet, who not only likes fedoras, but loves them?

Thank you, nothing further.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

echopapa posted:

Your *daughter*?

Who is a girl?

And you’re telling the jury today that there is a girl, somewhere on this planet, who not only likes fedoras, but loves them?

Yep, perjury spotted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The longer I stay at mediation, the more I say "Motherfucker"

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CaptainScraps posted:

The longer I stay at mediation, the more I say "Motherfucker"

At 7:00 I said I was leaving at 7:20.

At 7:20 I walked to opposing party's room, said "I'm loving leaving. Are you gonna loving sign before I go?"

The mediator started yelling at me outside his door and the opposing counsel put the signed doc in my hand. gently caress

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Bang mother fucker. Bang bang bang bang bang mother fucker.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

lmbo a local (Toronto) lawyer has quite a history in Cali

Man anyone can be a lawyer in Ontario, we'll take all the debris, foreign and domestic:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlst/doc/2012/2012onlshp178/2012onlshp178.html

what's that mr. melnick? you were a teacher and spent 2 years grooming a loving tween and then taking her to a hotel and letting her blow you?

then you deferred your law school entry for a year so you could serve your custodial sentence?

why, of course you can be a lawyer! And what a lawyer you shall be!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

echopapa posted:

Your *daughter*?

Who is a girl?

Ha gently caress I thought the same drat thing.

Not guilty.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

olylifter posted:

Man anyone can be a lawyer in Ontario, we'll take all the debris, foreign and domestic:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlst/doc/2012/2012onlshp178/2012onlshp178.html

what's that mr. melnick? you were a teacher and spent 2 years grooming a loving tween and then taking her to a hotel and letting her blow you?

then you deferred your law school entry for a year so you could serve your custodial sentence?

why, of course you can be a lawyer! And what a lawyer you shall be!

quote:

After a careful consideration of both the documentary and oral evidence, as well as the able arguments of all counsel, the panel concludes that it is not satisfied, on the balance of probabilities, that the Applicant is a person of good character who should be granted a Class L1 licence.

:confused:

My favorite part though is the fact the Dean gives zero fucks whether this guy is even able to be a lawyer before taking his sweet sweet tuition money.

quote:

The Dean testified that a previous criminal conviction is not something that “[law schools in Canada are] interested in for academic purposes.”[21] When asked by panel member Laskin to expand on this point, the Dean alluded to the decades-long struggle between the universities and the Law Society for control of legal education in Ontario, a struggle that was ultimately resolved in favour of the universities. The Dean stated, “…we are teaching law, we are not teaching lawyers.” The concern as to whether or not one could become an articling student, following the award of a law degree, is thus “not of paramount concern to us.”

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

GamingHyena posted:

:confused:

My favorite part though is the fact the Dean gives zero fucks whether this guy is even able to be a lawyer before taking his sweet sweet tuition money.
[/b]

It was actually overturned on appeal and he was given his license. http://canlii.ca/t/fzvcp

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It was actually overturned on appeal and he was given his license. http://canlii.ca/t/fzvcp

http://www.jamesmelnick.ca/

quote:

I understand that people make choices that create conflict with the law.

I understand the steps that are required, both from within and without, to get your life back on track.

I bring this empathetic viewpoint to every aspect of my legal practice.

After completing a reasonable amount of education at the University of Western Ontario, in 2004 my own life choices saw me apprenticing as a carpenter in 2004. After working in the home renovation and construction industry for 3 years, I decided that I wanted to go back to school and learn the practice of law.

To this day I enjoy being part of the home renovation industry. In addition to helping people with their home renovation projects, I wanted to help people with their legal troubles. I wanted to do so in a way that remained firmly grounded in respect for people who are facing legal troubles.

Beginning in 2007 I began my legal studies at Western University. I participated in many mock trial and mock appeal competitions, and did quite well
Indeed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

At 7:00 I said I was leaving at 7:20.

At 7:20 I walked to opposing party's room, said "I'm loving leaving. Are you gonna loving sign before I go?"

The mediator started yelling at me outside his door and the opposing counsel put the signed doc in my hand. gently caress

Did you get the now ex wife enough money to pay you?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

That dude could credibly ask in the context of a criminal case to view child porn to satisfy himself (on behalf of a client) that it meets the legal definition of cp

He does crim law. A 14 year old sex assault complainant could be (maybe already has been) cross examined by a guy who has been convicted of abusing a position of trust to sexually abuse a teenager.

What a shocking decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Poe's Law in full effect ITT.