Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Karl Sharks posted:

how does this help the overwhelming majority of women who are raped by an acquaintance?

jfc that is such a laughable solution that doesn't even address the more prevalent cause

By cutting off alcohol to everyone, remember.

Or are you suggesting all the acquaintance rape is violent back of alley ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

zoux posted:

Yeah as always, context, audience, and familiarity matter.

Yeah, but there's no context in which the n-word is anything other than uncomfortable to say for anybody who's white.

e: I realize I'm being pedantic.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

By cutting off alcohol to everyone, remember.

Or are you suggesting all the acquaintance rape is violent back of alley ones

How about thinking up a solution that could actually happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

the correct response.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Yeah, but there's no context in which the n-word is anything other than uncomfortable to say for anybody who's white.

e: I realize I'm being pedantic.

Childish gambino show, therell only be one black dude in the building that might hear them say it

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012
Wow, a soup made of butter.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Nameless_Steve posted:

It is "questioning" but "queer" has been also reclaimed as a broader term encompassing non-heterosexual orientations that aren't easily described in common terms because people are complex.

Exactly. Both me and my girlfriend identify as queer because while we could both be defined as "bisexual," we both have mitigating factors that make that descriptor kinda inaccurate. For her, it's the fact that aside from me, she's really only attracted to women. For me, I go both ways, but don't have much of a connection to the LGBT community, so I tend to use "queer" as both a way to take back the word and to maintain some ambiguity when in LGBT spaces since the Ls and Gs tend to not like the Bs that much, especially since I trend towards heterosexuality despite enjoying sucking the occasional cock.

Edit: my favorite acronym for the queer community is QUILTBAG, because it's pretty all inclusive and it annoys the gently caress out of all the humorless idiots that have a tendency to make their home in QUILTBAG spaces.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 15, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm gay

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Re: Kasich

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/721090427453968384

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

based gaddis posted:

Wow, a soup made of butter.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/04/chris-christies-broke-campaign-sells-its-old-furniture-enormous-profit

quote:

According to disclosures made with the Federal Election Commission on Friday, the [Christie] campaign sold its used office furniture to a group called Leadership Matters for America PAC on March 9, for $22,769.85. That group is no disinterested party: It's the leadership PAC set up by Christie before he launched his presidential campaign—a political committee that is allowed to finance Christie's political interests generally, but is limited to providing just $5,000 worth of assistance to any actual campaign for public office that Christie might make.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Look, who doesn't have $23k in unused furniture laying around? That's like, 30 chairs and a few desks, right?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Look, who doesn't have $23k in unused furniture laying around? That's like, 30 chairs and a few desks, right?

Listen, these are Christie-sized chairs. They cost extra.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

What exactly is wrong with advising women to steer clear of dangerous situations?

There's a BIG difference between BLAMING rape victims because of where they were/what they were wearing/etc. after the fact, and saying BEFOREHAND you should avoid large groups of drunk males.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
John Kasich is just helping women fight the darkness!!!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Boosted_C5 posted:

What exactly is wrong with advising women to steer clear of dangerous situations?

There's a BIG difference between BLAMING rape victims because of where they were/what they were wearing/etc. after the fact, and saying BEFOREHAND you should avoid large groups of drunk males.

let's take a look at all the college parties that don't have a lot of alcohol

*crickets*

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Boosted_C5 posted:

Not big enough to be skipping don'ts 1-20 to deliver #21 because it's the one where just the woman has to do something virtuous.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/721031916909109248

Is this reverse psychology or something. What game are you playing here Reaincehard.

Republicans just are sincerely and totally convinced that Clinton is a super weak candidate that everyone hates. They've been reaffirming it every hour on Fox News and the radio for like 2 decades so they just can't see another possiblilty. A lot of them I think GENUINELY can't imagine a scenario where Clinton wins the presidency. Many of them are 100% convinced she'll be in jail by them. They've totally psyched themselves out into thinking she's easy pickings and they'll think that all the way up until the moment that she wins the election (if that happens).

Its a big part of the reason why there were 17 bad candidates. Because Republicans are so convinced that Clinton is weak that they sincerely believe she can be beat by someone like Carly Fiorina or Bobby Jindal.

And to be clear, I'm not saying Clinton doesn't have flaws and issues. But Republicans in "the bubble" have just lost all perspective on this matter.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
look, there's a way to live life that guarantees you'll never be raped, it's amazing how few women do it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Stop all the raping guys, how hard can it be? Jeez you sex havers.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Boosted_C5 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

boom boom boom posted:

look, there's a way to live life that guarantees you'll never be raped, it's amazing how few women do it.

stay at home mom discovered this one trick to never get raped, rapists hate her!!

hint: it's because marital rape doesn't count, obviously

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Boosted_C5 posted:

Hmm I wonder why Kasich doesn't advise males to stay away from alcohol to avoid rapey raping their way through a party

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

you can tell she's laughing at her own stupid joke while she wrote that and it's really cringeworthy and not funny

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

the subject of rape is a good opportunity for folks in this thread to reveal how NML really isn't that much of an outlier.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

boom boom boom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4RvWvgulc
"A chastity belt? That's going to chafe my willy!"

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 15, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

the subject of rape is a good opportunity for folks in this thread to reveal how NML really isn't that much of an outlier.

I can't tell if certain people are joking and I don't think I want to know.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/721031916909109248

Is this reverse psychology or something. What game are you playing here Reaincehard.

He wants the Dems to have a contested convention and protracted primary as well, so that whoever wins still comes out of it damaged.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

He wants the Dems to have a contested convention and protracted primary as well, so that whoever wins still comes out of it damaged.

He knows we use super delegates literally to avoid that right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He knows we use super delegates literally to avoid that right?

I think pretty much his only remaining hope at this point is that the race becomes so close, the superdelegates begin to side with Sanders and we end up with the contested convention. it's an incredibly slim hope, but this is Made-up-name McGee we're talking about here. His grasp on what is likely and realistic is flimsy in the best of times.

e: he's praying for a miracle, in other words.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just once I'd like to read "Presidential candidate tells college student worried about rape on campus that she'll never owe anyone sex and for someone to suggest otherwise to her would be a major red flag."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

So you can't tell the difference in agency between a 3 year old and an adult woman. Got it. Thanks.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

nachos posted:

Hmm I wonder why Kasich doesn't advise males to stay away from alcohol to avoid rapey raping their way through a party

Because that's not how responsibility works for him and people like him. Lessers have a responsibility to serve and protect their betters, not the other way around. The fact that they will be punished for mistreating their lessers aggravates them a fundamental level because that isn't how they understand the world.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Boosted_C5 posted:

I know you're just trolling but I'd like to point out that just walking around downtown yesterday there were "large groups of drunk males" all over the place, so you'd have to avoid more than just parties if you really wanted to be safe under this logic.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

there are a lot of folks who cling to ideology that is from the early modern period when men believed they could bedazzled by women to the point that they couldn't help themselves in a literal not figurative way. so, it is the woman's responsibility to not seduce them.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
I know you meant "be dazzled" but I'm choosing to believe that women literally went around bedazzling men against their will. FABULOUS

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 15, 2016

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So you can't tell the difference in agency between a 3 year old and an adult woman. Got it. Thanks.

No, I just don't understand how it is victim blaming. No one is saying the rapists wouldn't be wholly responsible for the crime, only that you can take precautions to make them less successful.

Don't leave a gold watch on your dash with the doors unlocked. It's still just as bad to steal it, but it's not smart. Don't wear a Trump shirt at a pro-Bernie protest. It's your right, and if you get assaulted it's a crime, but it's not smart. Don't find yourself among several rowdy drunken frat boys as a cute small girl. It's your right, and if you know them personally that's different, but otherwise it is not smart because they may commit a crime, which is still illegal and they are to blame but perhaps you would rather be safe than be correct as you pursue legal action.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's especially frustrating since foreign ties and finance-related things depend so much on US reputation and trustworthiness, and Trump trumping undermines all of that just by existing :negative:

latter is an interesting point, will be fascinating to see what happens at treasury auctions if trump gets the nom and looks halfway credible. I bet yields jump materially. Can't wait to read the downgrades from moodys/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

what happened to trump's big colorado demonstration that was supposed to happen two hours ago

• Locked thread