Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's extremely important to let them know you're not a criminal by the way. tell them you have a right to review the security footage from the day of the purchase if they seem hesitant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Snak posted:

so here's a sort of sketchy question: My Dark Souls 3 from amazon didn't come on time, so on tuesday, I went to gamestop and bought a copy. Yesterday, my amazon copy came. So now I have one opened copy that I bought from gamestop and one unopened copy that I got from amazon. Both are for ps4. My roommate has an xbox one. What I want to do is take my unopenend ps4 copy to some local store and exhange it for an xbox one copy. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral, I have a brand new unopened game and I want to exchange it for the same game on a different platform, and that feels like something I should be able to do, but it also feels kinds of sketchy.

Does this seems like something I should be able to do? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it?

You can try but usually game stores do not accept games when they are unopened. Also, I'd imagine the fact that the game you're returning doesn't have a Gamestop sticker on it, nor will the barcode match up with the one you purchased. I mean you could always try but my guess is you'll be turned away.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

so here's a sort of sketchy question: My Dark Souls 3 from amazon didn't come on time, so on tuesday, I went to gamestop and bought a copy. Yesterday, my amazon copy came. So now I have one opened copy that I bought from gamestop and one unopened copy that I got from amazon. Both are for ps4. My roommate has an xbox one. What I want to do is take my unopenend ps4 copy to some local store and exhange it for an xbox one copy. I'm not trying to do anything illegal or immoral, I have a brand new unopened game and I want to exchange it for the same game on a different platform, and that feels like something I should be able to do, but it also feels kinds of sketchy.

Does this seems like something I should be able to do? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it?

Did the one from Gamestop have that plastic strip across the top?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

it's extremely important to let them know you're not a criminal by the way. tell them you have a right to review the security footage from the day of the purchase if they seem hesitant

i didnt mean people would think he was a criminal, you loving weirdo, they just probably won't take the game from him and give him another one

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh right gamestop puts the big new stickers on the case don't they. say it didn't have it when you bought it. tell them to check the tapes, and also that your business is important

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

i didnt mean people would think he was a criminal, you loving weirdo, they just probably won't take the game from him and give him another one

i'm making fun of him

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why wouldn't you just return the Amazon copy :confused:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah just return the Amazon copy and get something else. Their customer service, in my experience, it's extremely responsive and helpful

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

one time i bought a gamecube style n64 replacement stick from amazon and it arrived broken and they wanted me to package it and return it but i was too lazy to so i just superglued it and it works fine. then they credited me the refund regardless. anyway the moral is not all roads lead to Rome or something

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The answer to all these questions is "I am lazy as gently caress" and wanted the easiest and fastest possible solution.

I am definitely never pre-ordering from amazon ever again though. I've pre-ordered exactly two games in my life, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Neither of them arrived on release day despite saying they would when I ordered them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

"I sure am glad I preordered this game months in advance!"
- a thing I have never said

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
the objective of this game is to flail your arms faster than the other team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fwgCk3fUI&t=446s

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I can't think of a game so scarce that you couldn't find a copy near release. Even right now I could go over to a gamestop and pick up Trails of Cold Steel if I hadn't already.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

raditts posted:

Im glad of every game I preorder because it ensures it will be available on Day 1. I missed out on Bayo 2 for a week at launch because of this and now i preorder whenever I know Im gonna buy a game

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I mostly used EB or Gamestop for old ps2 games or what not. And even then that is pretty much scarce.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Motto posted:

I can't think of a game so scarce that you couldn't find a copy near release. Even right now I could go over to a gamestop and pick up the Trails of Cold Steel if I hadn't already.

Trauma from the days of rare JRPGs and niche games, which stopped being rare sometime after digital distribution became common.

I still remember when most of Atlus' games were impossible to get if you didn't preorder them.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

The answer to all these questions is "I am lazy as gently caress" and wanted the easiest and fastest possible solution.

I am definitely never pre-ordering from amazon ever again though. I've pre-ordered exactly two games in my life, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Neither of them arrived on release day despite saying they would when I ordered them.

Is this Amazon without the Prime?

As I hear, having Prime means they'll comp things and/or give you bonus goodies because they hosed up, like a $10 gift card for missing a day-1 delivery, even if it's by a day and their fault(because they mail those out early I think). Might be worth it if you order lots.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The rumour is that this is the map from Red Dead Redemption 2:

The south-west of the map is actually the north-east of the original RDR map.

This looked like a map of China at first glance

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I felt Lurdiak would appreciate this.
https://twitter.com/xmeetsdarksouls/status/721026900634669056

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

oddium posted:

i won't be silent any longer: EVE Is Good

Too bad I recently doubled down on my allergy of MMOs but the Eve economy was top notch for the month I played and I still love from time to time to read about people playing it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like dark souls but seth rogen is being a little silly

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

In Training posted:

Im glad of every game I preorder because it ensures it will be available on Day 1. I missed out on Bayo 2 for a week at launch because of this and now i preorder whenever I know Im gonna buy a game

Lol if you don't buy digital on tyo... Oh right, it's WIIU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

overwatch is good, I like playing as the big fat man with a hook and shotgun that looks like he's ripped straight out of mad max

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

we lost a fellow unkindled undead outcast a true warrior of Sun light jonathanvb123 You will be missed may your ember flurish anew

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I kinda want to play a chill open-world RPG. Not Elder Scrolls. Any recommendations?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Also has to be at least modern enough to have 3D graphics, please.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also has to be at least modern enough to have 3D graphics, please.

I mean, I basically hate them, but the Fable games are pretty chill. Fable 3 is pretty much hegemonic slumlord simulator.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

in assassin's creed 4 you roleplay as a pirate

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

who cares?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I kinda want to play a chill open-world RPG. Not Elder Scrolls. Any recommendations?

Dragons Dogma!!!!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

smell this posted:

who cares?

*raises hand*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

I have because I sometimes get it a day or two early.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

*raises hand*

Carry on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Witcher 3? It's not exactly chill though....

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

witcher 3 is about being a good dad. if you got the bad dad ending then you have my sympathy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Dragons Dogma!!!!!
Yeah... Yeah! Yeah!!! YEAH!!!!!

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Dragons' Dogma is on sale on greenmangaming right now and it's also the best

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah... Yeah! Yeah!!! YEAH!!!!!

when's the darksiders lp start by the way

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Next week I'll be getting Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone with my first paycheck, so please be supportive of me and my apples.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

Have you ever played Risen 1? It's janky but it's cool running around a tropical island as a shipwreck victim wielding a stick and savescumming your way up to being able to kill a literal god at the end of the game when you start off running errands for swamp-dwelling convicts or petty harbormasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wouldn't call Risen chill though because it's loving hard

clearly the answer is TWO WORLDS

• Locked thread