Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Long fights give greater advantage to player over the AI so you should be winning all your arena battles now. That said I wonder if Barriss/RG/Lumi/more beefcakes would take more than 5:00 to kill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kaschei posted:

Long fights give greater advantage to player over the AI so you should be winning all your arena battles now. That said I wonder if Barriss/RG/Lumi/more beefcakes would take more than 5:00 to kill...

This is what I was wondering. I want to build a team with Chewie, RG, Barris, Savage and Daka and mash it against the top 5 until I can get a win and see what happens.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Jibo posted:

This is what I was wondering. I want to build a team with Chewie, RG, Barris, Savage and Daka and mash it against the top 5 until I can get a win and see what happens.

I am pretty sure you could get to the number 1 spot, have a fight left and switch to a team of something like barris, RG, FOST, fives, and one other beefie guy and just always time everything out. You wouldn't have to win a fight after getting to number one, just switch your team and attack someone with the new team, then let the fight time out.

Offense has definitely gained an advantage over defense though, spreading out your damage like defense does takes a big hit from protection, where as focus firing and smart targeting lost much less ground.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Fenris13 posted:

I am pretty sure you could get to the number 1 spot, have a fight left and switch to a team of something like barris, RG, FOST, fives, and one other beefie guy and just always time everything out. You wouldn't have to win a fight after getting to number one, just switch your team and attack someone with the new team, then let the fight time out.

Offense has definitely gained an advantage over defense though, spreading out your damage like defense does takes a big hit from protection, where as focus firing and smart targeting lost much less ground.

I would definitely run dooku lead, and then run Daka instead of FOST. I also don't like fives, so maybe ewok elder?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I hadn't done my PvP today until just now and holy poo poo is it weird.

I almost lost to a Dooku lead team with Barriss just because it took a minute and a half just to kill her at the end.

I also did some challenges and that poo poo was beyond tedious.

I don't think this is a bad change necessarily but if every fight ends up feeling like a slog then I'll probably just kinda stop playing this.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
GW takes about 3 times as long and is really, really fun when you face full 7* teams with protection while your own was stripepd down in the first two battles...

Edit: also 100% sure a Dooku(L) Barriss, Savage, Fives, RG team is unbeatable in arena, no matter your DPS you can't kill them in 5 minutes

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 15, 2016

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

GW takes about 3 times as long and is really, really fun when you face full 7* teams with protection while your own was stripepd down in the first two battles...

Edit: also 100% sure a Dooku(L) Barriss, Savage, Fives, RG team is unbeatable in arena, no matter your DPS you can't kill them in 5 minutes

Since they would all have 45-50k life except for dorku who is just there for the evasion I would not be surprised. Of course instead of just removing the shield bandaid they will probably introduce shield breaking skills to bandaid that. Also lol the only pure pay toons that got nerfed were Jedi of course(unless I missed one). I am not sure if I should cheer that I no longer really want to play at each reset or if I should be sad that a game with such promise has spent three patches on making the game less fun.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Looks like the game got a ton of one star reviews in the app store and then they astroturfed a bunch of five star generic reviews on top of them.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow they really hosed up. It's a mobile game, it's supposed to be quick. Even on auto mode I'm staring at my dudes taking minutes to drop storm troopers.

Game sucks, I don't have three hours to blow a day on it. I'd rather play a real game.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, one of the biggest reasons I was enjoying this game was that it, for all its failures on a metagame and monetization level, it had some pretty fun core gameplay that, at least for me, hit the sweet spot between "too little to do" and "takes up too much of my time for a mobile game". Now it's veered pretty far into the latter end. So... I'mma stick with this a little while longer to see if I either get used to it or they make more balance changes rolling some of this back? But if neither of those happen, I'll probably peace out soon

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Thing is, the protection mechanic in itself is a good idea...just not in GW and PvE.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
And it's tricky to get right in Arena because it leads to those "can't kill a Barriss + tanks squad in 5 mintues" situations. Which, a lot of that is honestly down to attack animation times? You could squeeze a lot more turns into that 5 minute window if Yoda didn't have to waddle up and twirl his lightsaber over and over whenever he wanted to hurt someone

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
The animations run a lot faster in Galactic, right? Why don't they make Arena run on those? I'm not 100% sure why there's a 5 minute time limit anyway, though I guess it's to stop people from beating a high ranking team to near death and then waiting until the end of the day to deliver the killing blow, ensuring they don't lose any rank?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This game loving blows even more now than it did before this garbage update

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
QGJ first turn offense up off of Savage O is still a thing, FYI.

What I'm saying is... Phasma/QGJ/Poe is a loving FANTASTIC trio when paired with 2 slow heavy hitters.

I might sub out Lumi for Greedo and run Luke/Greedo with the loving terrible three up there.

But really, Poe/Poggle/Phasma? loving money. I think that trio paired with IG88 and IG86 would be loving murder.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 15, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

xyigx posted:

each reset

Yo, what is this? Is this why my rank sucks so much all of a sudden? I assumed it was because I skipped a day.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

Yo, what is this? Is this why my rank sucks so much all of a sudden? I assumed it was because I skipped a day.

Nope just the midnight reset. Probably just people trying to fight more teams to test the patch.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah I think it's time for a break from this for a while. Right no everything falls somewhere between tedious and impossible and it's just not fun to play any more. I hope they fix it eventually.

Also I really want to know what kind of testing was done before implementing this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Meh

Deleted

:mediocre:

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
I think the worst change was to challenges. I mean sure they were too easy before, but when all of a sudden my level 73, gear 8 squads can't even come close to beating the limited challenges that they were breezing through three levels ago, and the rewards didn't change? Yeah, total bullshit.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I like what they were trying to do with this update, they just really screwed it up. However, it seems to have given me a pretty big advantage, so that's nice. Part of this may be that some people have gotten tired of this game and left, but, I've generally seen most of the same people in the top 20, so at least at the top tiers of my server, that isn't true. Additionally, until very recently, I was still getting pushed down to sub 30 nearly every day, with the lowest being around 50th. Today, I dropped from 2nd to 14th, which is the smallest overnight drop I've seen since people started catching up at level 70. Part of this is that I am running 2 G9 heroes: QGJ and Daka. While I wasn't able to construct the MK5 furnaces in advance, I was able to make 5 MK5 Arakyd droid callers, a level 74 item that now requires 50 unobtainables. I've also equipped one to RG, and one to Barriss, and have one leftover (it could go to Poggle, but I'm not using him right now...going to see who else needs it for G9). I haven't finished the rest of G8 for RG/Barriss because they both need 50 MK5 Stuns (not in any challenge).

It took me about 45-50 minutes to complete GW today. It's a little sloggier than normal thanks to protection, but it shouldn't be too much harder if you have a decent team. Pick 3 of: Barriss, Lumi, QGJ, JC, roughly in that order if you have a choice. Barriss or Lumi as lead. Then, pick two heroes that are reasonably fast with a stun, the best two that I've found are Dooku and Daka. The added benefit of Daka is a heal and a revive. This leaves Sid, Kylo, and IG-88 as the biggest threats to your team comp. If you have Barriss reasonably high in * (5+), her hp up and hp per turn will help you survive a lot. At this point, I would even recommend prioritizing Barriss over Dooku, because if you use her in your last arena comp, you will probably slide less in rank (maybe). Also, Daily GW completion is a lot more important for game progression than arena performance. If you have to choose between the two, go with GW, and let your arena rank slide a little bit. If you do Barriss' Cantina Battles and hard nodes, you can get her from 0 to 7* in about a month. Meanwhile, if you're doing Dooku's hard nodes, you'll acquire about 60 for him, and cut down on his grind. In terms of hard node priority, I'd probably go Rey > Barriss > Dooku > FOTP. I'm actually not even sure FOTP is worth it at this point, but I'm still going to try to get him to 7*.

As for how their changes affected Arena, I'm honestly not sure it changed much except made it easier for a player to time out. In some ways, they made speed heroes better, despite decreasing their damage. I mean, slow heroes are now USUALLY going to get an attack or two off, so speed heroes are not as broken as they used to be. However, the battles last longer, which gives a speed 150 hero a different kind of advantage over a speed 100 hero. So, before, a team of speed 150+ heroes would just nuke a team of 100 speed heroes, and probably kill 2-3 in the first volley. Now, unless you're against all tanks, or just RG, you might kill someone in the first volley, but probably not. However, for every 2 attacks that a speed 100 hero gets, a speed 150 hero will be getting 3. Over the course of a longer battle, this results in a pretty large imbalance in the number of attacks. This means that on offence, the best comp probably still involves: Dooku (L), pick 3 of: Rey, GS, QGJ, Leia, 86, Scout, Daka, and pick 1 of RG, Han, Poe. I'm still of the opinion that the best is Dooku, QGJ, Rey, Daka, RG. GS can be put in place of QGJ, but I think that QGJ is the much better choice at this point, but see discussion below. RG can be replaced by Han or Poe, and they both get to do some pretty serious turn manipulation.

QGJ advantages: Can remove buffs and add Offence up to entire team. Counters Savage. Every other turn assist (GS got nerfed to every 3rd turn).
GS advantages: More HP, can self-buff offence up, not a jedi, better damage.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, guys... try QGJ, Poe, Phasma against a Savage O team.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hixalot posted:

I think the worst change was to challenges. I mean sure they were too easy before, but when all of a sudden my level 73, gear 8 squads can't even come close to beating the limited challenges that they were breezing through three levels ago, and the rewards didn't change? Yeah, total bullshit.

They also said they'd be addressing that. Massive balance change leaves some things out of balance day of? Well wrap it up we'll never have another adjustment!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's almost like... they... didn't QA these changes from a user-standpoint prior to releasing them?

Say it ain't so!

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Sigh...I just want to make it to guilds/raids. Will there be enough SA players left after this patch?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Malgrin posted:

Sigh...I just want to make it to guilds/raids. Will there be enough SA players left after this patch?

Well the spreadsheet has 50 folks on it, so we'll still probably be able to field a decent squad. Also maybe the people taking a break will return once it goes live.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Hmm, so, when I logged on this morning, I was able to do the special events with yesterday's heroes (Barriss et al) for the second time. I thought maybe the timer resets before the heroes reset, but, I was just able to do it again today with today's heroes. Given that one of those rewards is pretty goddamn exclusive, I would recommend you check your events page twice per day.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Hughlander posted:

They also said they'd be addressing that. Massive balance change leaves some things out of balance day of? Well wrap it up we'll never have another adjustment!

My bad, I didn't see that they were going to be addressing that. Good of them to acknowledge its a problem at least.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Hughlander posted:

I see you must be new to this game and its development methods. We beta test the changes for a couple of weeks and then they patch it again and possibly break something else in the process.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

well it sure was fun spending 2 loving hours doing galactic war today in this game that's supposed to be played on the toilet but I may have to take a break from it for a while

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Anyone else not got their dailies? It just rolled back to waiting 24 more hours.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Anyone else not got their dailies? It just rolled back to waiting 24 more hours.

I finished mine this morning but drat this game got lovely. I whaled pretty hard and I'm really feeling the sting on this.

gently caress these guys.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Have they acknowledged the suck in this patch yet? Response seems pretty universally negative

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Slightly Toasted posted:

Have they acknowledged the suck in this patch yet? Response seems pretty universally negative

The executive producer posted a thread on the official forums: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/28040/4-14-update-thank-you-for-your-feedback

he's right in that arena needed a fix, but he doesn't address the new problems with galactic war and challenges

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly even with the older GW it was pushing the amount of time I wanted to spend on the game. Now I'm not even going to bother because it's just tedious nonsense. I really was awesome because I love me some star wars but gently caress it's like they are intentionally loving poo poo up.

Someone on Reddit posted a picture that claimed the game was pulling in 100k a day before this patch. I can't imagine it's holding that now though.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?
CG really needs to just tune out the overwhelmingly annoying whiners on their forums and stop caving to the complaining. Aside from nerfs that look really bad in hindsight (Barriss, Poe), this entire overhaul was 100% due to everyone and their mothers complaining about speed and damage and being able to complete all daily content within an hour. So they do this, take it too far, and now everyone hates it and wishes for the "good ol' days," when their time would have better been spent with minor tweaks here and there, and NEW CONTENT.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

whale spotted

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

whale spotted

:homebrew:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Holy crap gw is massively unfun now

So how big of a nerf is this to healing in general seeing as it seem they shifted a large amount of the health bar into a new super bar you don't get until gear vii and can't regain if you lose it

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?

Slightly Toasted posted:

Holy crap gw is massively unfun now

So how big of a nerf is this to healing in general seeing as it seem they shifted a large amount of the health bar into a new super bar you don't get until gear vii and can't regain if you lose it

Health wasn't touched at all, it's a graphical change, but it does nerf healers indirectly as they can't top off shields.

• Locked thread