Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

It's not over yet! The "purblind prank that fate could play" is sad indeed.
sadder than his poetry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

lenoon posted:

Oh. At least we know he has a happy(ish) ending.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

lenoon posted:

oh nooooo :smith:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

What could be worse than eyes like yours and like my mothers God made Browns for?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

lenoon posted:

What could be worse than eyes like yours and like my mothers God made Browns for?

I like that, since it was in the Whisperer, that poem was literally illegal, although not for the reason that it probably should have been.

Maybe the end of the story is that he's put in poetry jail.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Everyone look at this cool picture of pike fencing

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
George's story is fascinating. Thank you so much for posting it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pthighs posted:

I prefer the very special episode where someone dies, forcing them to learn the true meaning of friendship
"don't you see? the real fortune is the one we made in our hearts."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just FYI, in the Civil War, whenever anybody mentions Longstreet, I laugh.

:argh: this is your fault thread

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

"don't you see? the real fortune is the one we made in our hearts."

the spirit of the age was friendship

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pthighs posted:

I prefer the very special episode where someone dies, forcing them to learn the true meaning of friendship

It seems that Clone High is basically the sitcom this thread would write. Including this very episode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

lenoon posted:

the spirit of the age was friendship

Voltaire is the guy with the best catchphrases in that show.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Grand Prize Winner posted:

you're the guy who doesn't saw off the bottom three feet of his pike

Well, duh! You can keep the enemies further away with a longer pointy stick.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

lenoon posted:

To You
(the not-impossible She).

Earliest in my recollection
Mother’s face is;
Sussex, next, won my affection
With her graces;
Last into my life you entered,
Then Homes’ essence
And my mother’s love, seemed centred
In your presence
Would, dear heart, that I could bring you
Gifts of splendour!
Since I can not, let me sing you
Love songs tender:
Yours are curves that Sussex lovers
Prize their Downs for.
Eyes like your and like my mother’s
God made browns for.

Oh my god.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Shall I compare thee to my mom

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What exactly does "browns" mean in this context

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

shades of brown, of which there's a bunch
i bet it was all he could do not to list them

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

The color of their eyes. "Your eyes are why God made the color brown."

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me,
As plurdled gabbleblotchits,
On a lurgid bee,
That mordiously hath blurted out,
Its earted jurtles,
Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,
Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
And living glupules frart and slipulate,
Like jowling meated liverslime,
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turling dromes,
And hooptiously drangle me,
With crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He's better than William Rees McGonagall.

I was out recently and went slightly out of my way to go see this again, which I think is appropriate after Edward Mousley and Don Juan.

Now that is a killer of an epitaph.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Dear George, most women are not flattered by comparing them to your mother. I hope this advice helps you in your future endeavors.

Also, if I had to guess what happens next to George, it's that the brown slip of a girl has moved on, quite possibly to a handsome war hero

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Dear George, most women are not flattered by comparing them to your mother. I hope this advice helps you in your future endeavors.

Also, if I had to guess what happens next to George, it's that the brown slip of a girl has moved on, quite possibly to a handsome war hero
moved on from what? i'm not sure they've ever actually spoken

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nah he was just crushed when van Morrison stole his idea with "brown eyed girl"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Guys I just realised something

George is literally the star of this popular music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops

It's so perfect

(well, apart from the "literally stopped WWIII" background)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rabhadh posted:

Everyone look at this cool picture of pike fencing

Are the guys in the background making parts for a palisade? Because then we've got two kinds of fencing going on in one picture.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAL posted:

shades of brown, of which there's a bunch
i bet it was all he could do not to list them

Deteriorata posted:

The color of their eyes. "Your eyes are why God made the color brown."

Ohh, I see. I'm not much of a poetry person, so probably the problem was that it was such a rich and complex verse that it went over my head. Probably what it was.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Trin Tragula posted:

He's better than William Rees McGonagall.

I was out recently and went slightly out of my way to go see this again, which I think is appropriate after Edward Mousley and Don Juan.

Now that is a killer of an epitaph.

There's a case to be made that all the conscripted troops didn't have much of a choice either.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Splode posted:

There's a case to be made that all the conscripted troops didn't have much of a choice either.

There were no prisons for horsey conchies

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Edit:

HEY GAL posted:

moved on from what? i'm not sure they've ever actually spoken

He did kiss her, once! They have been quietly courting for a month or two, but he hasn't heard from her since he went to prison. He hasn't heard from anyone since he went to prison, except a brief polite letter from his father when he asked for the Oxford book of English verse in Winchester.

My process for identifying George's poetry in copies of the Winchester Whisperer goes like this:

Sussex mentioned?
Little brown slip of a girl mentioned?
Is the poem crap?
Is it in his handwriting?

I guess it should be the other way around, but I think those tortured rhymes are pretty obvious. I read his autobiography before the whisperer and had fully expected the poetry to be pretty good, just that self deprecating George was being overly harsh with himself, but.... Nope.

"Curves like yours Sussex lovers prize their downs for"
Ok, in my experience women don't particularly enjoy having their bodies compared to large hill ranges but I see your point George.

"Eyes like yours and like my mother's God made Browns for"
This is among the worst lines of poetry ever written.

For all that his poetry is really quite poo poo, he probably was considered a bit of a firebrand artist in prison. The average age of men in Winchester in 1918 was around 28-30, and the majority of them were men like Charles Cobb with his "beautiful and apocalyptic" faith. So with George writing first off yearning love poetry, then clumsy politics and finally the sex-starved stuff he writes about winchesters female population, he must have been quite a shocking voice.

There are, to my knowledge, only three surviving copies of the Winchester Whisperer, and one of them is very jealously guarded and extremely inaccessible - I've seen only the frontispiece. The copy with George's long poem is from October 1918, and the copy in Friends House Library is from December. The other one is the Christmas issue - and I'm sure there will be more that emerge in the future. According to one of the COs at Winchester all the copies were smuggled out and placed "in a library in London" - but which library and where they are now eludes us. The copy we have at work turned up on eBay, and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it. Other copies with more delicious George Baker poetry, will be out there somewhere, I'm sure of it.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 16, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

JcDent posted:

There were no prisons for horsey conchies

Yeah, but a choice between war and prison still isn't much of a choice, assuming you didn't get murdered on the way to prison.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

more delicious George Baker poetry
yase, yase

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ainsley McTree posted:

A dusty plain. Split and parched with heat of June.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can any of you nerds shed some light on the mistakes made in the first war in Chechnya, and why it brings tears to the eyes of any and all T-80 fans?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

Can any of you nerds shed some light on the mistakes made in the first war in Chechnya, and why it brings tears to the eyes of any and all T-80 fans?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, "never send tanks into cities, especially unsupported" is the gist of it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Splode posted:

Yeah, but a choice between war and prison still isn't much of a choice, assuming you didn't get murdered on the way to prison.

War, prison, or quietly deserting while on leave! At least 1,000 men deserted from the BEF every month of WWI, except for the few really bad ones when it went higher. Neither the introduction of conscription nor the vast increase in size of the Army changed this. Lots of them never got caught. When the State runs entirely on paper, a sizeable minority have no birth certificate, and many of its bureaucrats have already gone to war, there's plenty of cracks to fall down for someone who can live on their wits.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

spectralent posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, "never send tanks into cities, especially unsupported" is the gist of it.

Essentially this. Conscripts do extra poorly.

From a purely technical level:

The T-80 would guzzle fuel at a constant rate, even when sitting still so it wasn't possible to idle at combat readiness for long. Many a conscript found this out the hard way when he wanted to change position after waiting for a few hours to find that he was out of fuel. This is bad when angry Chechans are attacking you with RPG's. The fuel was also blamed for being more flammable compared to diesel when hit. Lastly, the vertical stowage of the propellant cases in the auto-loader means there is a much bigger cross-sectional area exposed to fire from the sides compared to the flat-disc arrangement of the T-72.

Organizational fuckups:

Don't sent tanks into combat without support.
Don't send tanks into urban areas without infantry.
If you do, you should also try to make sure that those ERA cases actually have their explosives and plates in them.
All of which were the fault of the army being such a shambles in training/morale/readiness due to the economic/political situation.

So all of the above technical issues being used as a scapegoat to cover for the organizational fuckups was the death knell of the T-80. It also didn't help that the Omsk plant was in the shitter commercially speaking, being utterly dependent on government funds (the Kirov factory had long since moved out of the tank biz). UVZ was always ready to play the political angle and the the bickering of sistema networks in the Russian government/military resulted in the T-80 network/faction/tank losing and getting poo poo-canned as a result.

The T-80 wasn't really much long for the world in Russian service as it was a tank that they could only have when money was no objection. Once hard economic reality set in it was rather inevitable that the T-72/90 would become the new champion. The T-72 was almost or just as good while being cheaper and the business making the tank could support itself with private business when the government wasn't taking orders.

The Ukrainians kept theirs going because the Kharkov plant had become the major design works of the type towards the end of the USSR and they had even worse economic problems than the Russians. So they had to just keep stuff notionally in service as they had no money for consolidation towards a single type of tank. Keeping them around also notionally helps sell them on the world arms market. Another factor is that they designed the T-80UD aka T-84 which is a T-80 with an improved diesel engine of the T-64 put in it that much reduced it's operating costs. They also arguably had no need to do anything for themselves up until Crimea happened.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

War, prison, or quietly deserting while on leave! At least 1,000 men deserted from the BEF every month of WWI, except for the few really bad ones when it went higher. Neither the introduction of conscription nor the vast increase in size of the Army changed this. Lots of them never got caught. When the State runs entirely on paper, a sizeable minority have no birth certificate, and many of its bureaucrats have already gone to war, there's plenty of cracks to fall down for someone who can live on their wits.

What do deserters go off and do after desertion? Do they try to blend into a small hamlet and hope nobody questions the englishman in their midst? Do they try to live on their own out in the wilderness? Do they just sneak over the battle lines to plop themselves into a POW camp?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

What do deserters go off and do after desertion? Do they try to blend into a small hamlet and hope nobody questions the englishman in their midst? Do they try to live on their own out in the wilderness? Do they just sneak over the battle lines to plop themselves into a POW camp?

The genealogy show "Who Do You Think You Are" included someone with a forebear who was a WWI deserter. He returned to England and lived under two names. A fake "official" one for municipal records (to keep his military name off the books), while his family continued to call him by his birth name. The military didn't go door to door looking for deserters, they just consulted town registries to look for names. As long as his name wasn't there, they wouldn't come after him.

The person was wondering why his ancestor was known by two names - one within the family, but another one on official records. It was his search to figure out why that he discovered he'd been a deserter.

Given that all the records were written and proof of ID was rudimentary at best, hiding yourself in the general population wasn't too hard. As long as you kept your nose clean so no one started asking too many questions about you, you could stay hidden in plain sight indefinitely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

lenoon posted:

There are, to my knowledge, only three surviving copies of the Winchester Whisperer, and one of them is very jealously guarded and extremely inaccessible - I've seen only the frontispiece.

God I loving hate it when stuff like that happens. What's the story here? Private collection? Someone who inherited it and thinks because it's rare they will sell it for megabucks or at least be able to publish it and make money? Tiny museum that has this as the only thing making it relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Copy 1: Private collection
Copy 2: archive vastly overstates the fragility of it
Copy 3: I need to get it published

• Locked thread