Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lum_ posted:

I'm friends with lots of Koreans through work-related contexts. Young (as in, younger than 50) Koreans tend to tune out everything not in their own field of vision because they grew up with a military dictatorship based on "everyone outside the motherland wants to kill us" and they're in recovery. So basically what I'm saying is when I talk to my Korean friends about Donald Trump, they gently make sure I'm not literally insane first and then ask "how the gently caress could this ever happen, ever."

The answer to that question will make several interesting books.

Yeah, my best friend is an expat musician in Japan and he tours in Korea all the time. What you're saying is basically 100% in-line with what he says, and he's stopped telling Koreans anything at all about American politics at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

what about being vagazzled?

well, first i need to get a vagina, and i don't think i want one

yeah, pretty sure i dont want one

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Majorian, let's make a pact to not talk to that one dude. Deal?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

mandatory lesbian posted:

well, first i need to get a vagina, and i don't think i want one

yeah, pretty sure i dont want one

how about bedazzled by a vagazzle? i think we can all agree on that

e: ahaha just realized your name is mandatory lesbian, perfecto

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 16, 2016

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Genesee County voted against Snyder in 2014, most people in Michigan weren't aware of Flint's water problems until summer of 15, and now Snyder is on the national stage as stewarding one of the worst environmental disasters in our country so I'm not sure what your point is about Snyder getting reelected in regards to how he has hurt the GOP brand incredibly.

Not to mention that this issue has gone on for such a long time because Snyder refused to quit and kept saying 'I can fix this' despite not. Every single day brings a new attempt by Snyder to deflect that only keeps the story in the papers. Currently the recall petition is going around and, shock of shocks, it turned out that Snyder changed the law so instead of 90 days to get the recall, it's only 60. I'm sure that was unintentional as well.

So yeah, Snyder's goose is cooked. Even most of the State Republicans realize it now. If the petition goes through and this goes down in November, he's finished. Well, finished and kicked out of office.

Schnorkles posted:

I generally agree. The inability of the republican party to produce a nationally acceptable candidate as of this point is extremely damaging to their party. The fact that the option to produce a nationally acceptable candidate involves alienating a some yet unknown portion of their party is even more damning.

That said, they are not a rump party in any way, and will not be one at any point in the near future, even with massive damage done to them this cycle. Hillary Clinton with a favorable congress in 2016 all but guarantees massive republican gains in 2018. The question will of course be what happens when Democrats take the presidency and the senate [which they are likely to do against the current set of republican candidates, though not guaranteed] but not take the house.

Don't jump to the '2018 will surely be a good Republican year' idea yet. If they alienate their party by ignoring the one with the most votes or simply choose their own candidate out of thin air, the Republicans won't be having any more good years. They'll be the Democratic Party circa 1968 at that point.

STAC Goat posted:

Republicans just are sincerely and totally convinced that Clinton is a super weak candidate that everyone hates. They've been reaffirming it every hour on Fox News and the radio for like 2 decades so they just can't see another possiblilty. A lot of them I think GENUINELY can't imagine a scenario where Clinton wins the presidency. Many of them are 100% convinced she'll be in jail by them. They've totally psyched themselves out into thinking she's easy pickings and they'll think that all the way up until the moment that she wins the election (if that happens).

Its a big part of the reason why there were 17 bad candidates. Because Republicans are so convinced that Clinton is weak that they sincerely believe she can be beat by someone like Carly Fiorina or Bobby Jindal.

And to be clear, I'm not saying Clinton doesn't have flaws and issues. But Republicans in "the bubble" have just lost all perspective on this matter.

They're praying to their lovely deity that they can somehow salvage this with the Hilary hate. Which means that they're going to nominate someone they want and roll with it, to hell with Trump or Cruz. I don't think they're capable of it, honestly, especially with the way Obama has destroyed them for eight years.

Epic High Five posted:

Conservatives are so sad when they protest, even in cases where they are unambiguously in the right like in complaining about Trump's upcoming ratfucking

Most of them are at home, nodding in agreement, making up excuses why they're not there.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Most of them are at home, nodding in agreement, making up excuses why they're not there.

they're too busy keeping their powder dry :freep:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

No Mans Land posted:

Sounds like they put those rules in place for a reason then??

Are you willfully dense or trolling?

It's both, I'm sure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're praying to their lovely deity that they can somehow salvage this with the Hilary hate. Which means that they're going to nominate someone they want and roll with it, to hell with Trump or Cruz. I don't think they're capable of it, honestly, especially with the way Obama has destroyed them for eight years.

Well I think that's part of the reason why they're considering this option. Because a lot of them truly don't recognize the consequences and reality of the situation. They think that "yeah, this will be a tough thing to manage but Hillary Clinton is SUCH a bad candidate and SO hated that we can still unite everyone against her anyway." I don't know if that mindset will win out or if there's enough people thinking that to push it through but its definitely a big part of what's motivating them to really be considering hand picking a candidate who didn't receive a single vote and not expecting it to destroy their immediate chances, if not long term.

I'm not big on making declarative predictions on much in politics. I definitely don't think Hillary is inevitable in any scenario. But it would shock the hell out of me if a Paul Ryan or other non-candidate could beat her after a contested convention and whatever fallout comes from that from Trump and Cruz. Barring the Republican dreams coming true and Hillary really, actually getting indicted or some major smoking gun revealing itself it just doesn't seem at all reasonable.

But Republicans "in the bubble" just have lost the perspective to really see that. They can't when everyone they know and listen to hates Hillary and would never vote for her in a million years.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm sure this is old hat and I'm the only one surprised by this, but what the gently caress:

quote:

Update: Palatucci said that the sale of equipment to the leadership PAC included items other than just simple office furniture. Although both organizations had the same treasurer, he said he was not sure why the campaign might have had a more narrow definition of what constituted office furniture when it reported its purchases, but he said the campaign had records to show the equipment sold was worth the amount it charged the leadership PAC.
Campaigns and PACs can't coordinate, but the same loving person can hold the same leadership position in both organizations simultaneously?!

edit: if I see that nothingmatters.gif, so help me god I will bitch about it in a REALLY annoying fashion

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 16, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

First thing President Hillary is going to do is order the FEC to go through all GOP SuperPACs and campaigns' paperwork and fully deputize them to make arrests if they aren't already. She just wants to make sure there isn't any illegal on their servers, it's in the national interest

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is something I don't often say, or like to say, but: human being

Let's try this another way and see if you spot the issue

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is something I don't often say, or like to say, but: ni*BONG*

yeah probably shouldn't do this, it's not 1994 anymore

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wanda Sykes made a radio PSA about it and everything cmon

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Majorian, let's make a pact to not talk to that one dude. Deal?

It's gonna be hard. But okay, deal. We can revisit the agreement if he says something particularly demented.:waycool:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/dj-shadow-nobody-speak-feat-run-the-jewels
1:08ish 'flame your crew quicker than trump fucks his youngest'

drat havent heard anyone say trump fucks barron before

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Don't jump to the '2018 will surely be a good Republican year' idea yet. If they alienate their party by ignoring the one with the most votes or simply choose their own candidate out of thin air, the Republicans won't be having any more good years. They'll be the Democratic Party circa 1968 at that point.

they may be at 1968 democrats levels of hosed by the national convention if the primary is contested.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Grey Fox posted:

I'm sure this is old hat and I'm the only one surprised by this, but what the gently caress:
Campaigns and PACs can't coordinate, but the same loving person can hold the same leadership position in both organizations simultaneously?!

Sure, why not, who's going to call you out on it? The FEC?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

because if there's one thing democrats never do, it's take premature victory laps and stay home on election day because they think they've defeated the GOP forever

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The 2018 map hugely favors Republicans and the Democrats are not going to fix their midterm turnout problem by then. I don't care how badly 2016 goes for them, they will make a killing in 2018. I wouldn't count on Hillary Clinton to be a popular president.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slate Action posted:

The 2018 map hugely favors Republicans and the Democrats are not going to fix their midterm turnout problem by then. I don't care how badly 2016 goes for them, they will make a killing in 2018. I wouldn't count on Hillary Clinton to be a popular president.

I wouldn't say it hugely favors Republicans - while the Dems have way more Senate seats up for reelection, a lot of them are in extremely safe states:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Hawaii
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

While I don't think Clinton will be particularly popular in 2018, part of what made the GOP takeovers in 2010 and 2014 possible was a unified party strategy. Given the state of things right now, I don't think the Republicans can count on having that level of party unity two years from now.

e: disclaimer - that doesn't mean I think the Democrats will necessarily keep the Senate, after having presumably taken it this year; that remains to be seen. But I also don't think it's a given that it will be a blowout for the GOP either.

For reference, here are the GOP seats up in 2018:

Arizona
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

Some of those are fairly purple states.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Majorian posted:

I wouldn't say it hugely favors Republicans - while the Dems have way more Senate seats up for reelection, a lot of them are in extremely safe states:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Hawaii
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

While I don't think Clinton will be particularly popular in 2018, part of what made the GOP takeovers in 2010 and 2014 possible was a unified party strategy. Given the state of things right now, I don't think the Republicans can count on having that level of party unity two years from now.

Not with Clinton surrogates twisting the dagger of betrayal to keep it fresh every week for those two years. Maybe helping a Libertarian candidate with a leg up on the down low as well?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

No Mans Land posted:

Sounds like they put those rules in place for a reason then??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

So are subforum mods only allowed to give six hours at a time, or is fishmech just enjoying NML's steady descent into pure Republican-id in little bite-sized increments?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
6 hours don't require admin approval

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Hawaii
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

I don't know if Virginia is safe for the Democrats in '18. Mark Warner, maybe the most popular VA politician in recent history, almost got taken out by some nobody former GOP chairman two years ago; Tim Kaine could definitely go down if Democrats don't turn out. Of course the VA GOP will probably nominate some retard nutcase like Cuccinelli or EW Jackson and Tim Kaine will be VP then anyway.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the warner near-loss is the strongest argument against kaine being vp imo. dems should hold onto that benefit non-appointed incumbents get to counter potential wave election effects. this of course means mark warner should be the vp

i think the republicans will still control most of the state legislatures in 2018 and the 'bench' that amount of state legislators will create will provide them the locally acceptable candidates necessary to continue the anti-presidential midterm trend that goes back at least to fdr* and win a shitload of house and senate seats

*of course there have been exceptions. 2018 could be one of those exceptions, certainly the 2016 gop primary has been an exception. im just not personally guessing that direction rn

i admit the possibility that their coalition will fracture in the wake of this primary but i think it's unwise to over-extrapolate to the thousands of state and federal elections republicans have won most of recently based on one election with its own peculiar dynamics

edit: there have only been two virginian vp's, thomas jefferson and john tyler. there hasn't been a virginian vice president since april 4, 1841! it's time for another one

listing all the safe seats isnt informative, the relevant list goes like this
  • mt
  • nd
  • in
  • wv
  • mo

i think the democrats need to go +9 this election if they want to be odds-on favorites to hold the senate in 2019
BUT I DUNNO

edit: i think the likelihood of a major party disintegrating is an order of magnitude or two lesser than the likelihood of a major party having a contested convention. just because we haven't seen the latter in decades shouldn't blind us to the fact that we haven't seen the former in more than a century. i don't think the gop looks like the federalists or the whigs, although i'm not a political history expert

admittedly the gop losing 2018 could easily fall into a middle ground between business as usual and whig/federal disintegration but i think its closer to the unlikely than the likely end of the range of consequences. thats just steaming hot straight out of my rear end tho tbh

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 16, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The tiny hands rubbing the bottle was a nice touch.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/721134019598032896

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I don't know if Virginia is safe for the Democrats in '18. Mark Warner, maybe the most popular VA politician in recent history, almost got taken out by some nobody former GOP chairman two years ago; Tim Kaine could definitely go down if Democrats don't turn out. Of course the VA GOP will probably nominate some retard nutcase like Cuccinelli or EW Jackson and Tim Kaine will be VP then anyway.

oystertoadfish posted:

listing all the safe seats isnt informative, the relevant list goes like this
  • mt
  • nd
  • in
  • wv
  • mo

i think the democrats need to go +9 this election if they want to be odds-on favorites to hold the senate in 2019
BUT I DUNNO

I think you're probably right, and for the record, I did say I'm not holding my breath on the Dems holding onto the Senate. But the states you listed are hardly lost causes - they're still pretty purple states. While I don't think the Republicans are going to remain completely three sheets to the wind by 2018, I also don't think the ongoing mess is going to clean itself up the moment the election is over, either. My bottom line is, I'm doubting the Republicans will be able to coordinate as effectively in 2018 as they did in previous midterm elections. That doesn't mean it won't be enough for them to regain control of the Senate; I'm just saying, I don't feel it's as much of a given as it has been in previous midterms.

fake edit:

quote:

admittedly the gop losing 2018 could easily fall into a middle ground between business as usual and whig/federal disintegration but i think its closer to the unlikely than the likely end of the range of consequences. thats just steaming hot straight out of my rear end tho tbh

Exactly, that's about where I am too. It's really going to matter who the Republicans nominate in these races. Everyone thought Reid and McCaskill were toast in 2010, and rightfully so. Until they caught a whiff of Sharron Angle and Todd Akin, that is.:laugh:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Good news!

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/721115420237766657

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oh thank God.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Cruzdog

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/dj-shadow-nobody-speak-feat-run-the-jewels

poo poo thanks for linking that, RTJ3 can't come soon enough

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

flip flopping on the issue? for shame

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

he's only really turned on by people with ~sufficiently tiny hands~

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

boom boom boom posted:

you're saying girls shouldn't wear shirts?

the prohibition on nudism is the real crime here

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML6lpDP8c20

Hardcore porn chat with Ted Cruz during the 'family' townhall with Anderson Cooper.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I wonder if that's why Cruz's face is so messed up: God's just constantly pressing His invisible hand against Ted's face to gently caress with him.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Montasque posted:

Hardcore porn chat with Ted Cruz during the 'family' townhall with Anderson Cooper.

What a loving weirdo.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Majorian posted:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Hawaii
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

e: disclaimer - that doesn't mean I think the Democrats will necessarily keep the Senate, after having presumably taken it this year; that remains to be seen. But I also don't think it's a given that it will be a blowout for the GOP either.

For reference, here are the GOP seats up in 2018:

Arizona
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wyoming

Some of those are fairly purple states.

You should re-read your post real hard.

This map favors republicans to an enormous degree and even a party reeling from internal conflicts will come out of this with seats. The only "purple" state is Nevada.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Montasque posted:

oh, my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

He's a nasty guy.

• Locked thread